Staying busy after retirement? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Rep Power: 87 syc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enough

Default Staying busy after retirement?

I recently got an email update about my benefits from my company's HR department. I was really surprised to discover that I'll be eligible for retirement a lot sooner than I realized. It's still quite a few years away, but it got me thinking.

I can retire at 51, but what would I do w/ myself? This being a car audio forum, I'm sure many of u will tell me to spend my time building and tweaking car audio systems. And I do plan to do some of that, but for me the pleasure is in listening to the system rather than building it.

Another common idea is to travel, but I'm not a big tourist. Plus I'll still have kids in school. I wouldn't want to travel more than 2-3 weeks a year.

Other ideas I had was to move to a 1/2-time position, but those tend to be more entry-level. I don't think I'd like having a boss w/ less knowledge and experience than I have! I also thought about volunteering for Habitat for Humanity, but I don't know how many houses they build in a year around here.
syc0path is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 304 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Staying busy after retirement?

There are guys around here that fish most every day. Just part of their daily routine.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...I'd rather be hated for my honesty than loved for being fake
Hillbilly SQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Rep Power: 78 jimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enough

Funny... this has always been my fear, regarding retirement: 'what the heck am I going to do with myself?'

I reckon I've got 10 more years of work - maybe 15.
But, 10 years seems to go by faster and faster, the older I get.

The idea of not having to work, is certainly appealing.
But I also know that my wife and I enjoy a fairly civil relationship, because we don't spend every waking hour together...

Car audio has been a hobby / passion of mine. But let's be honest; it can only fill-up a small portion of your time.
And I fear that if I started doing it full time (as a retirement job), I'd start to hate it - real fast.
I like working on my own vehicle. But I hate it when buddies ask me to work on their cars...
I just don't have the same passion, as when I'm designing, building, and tuning my own system.

jimmydee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 115 diy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enough

Some people (financial or math type, numbers people) turn into stock/option traders after retirement.

diy.phil
diy.phil is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Rep Power: 87 syc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enough

Quote:
There are guys around here that fish most every day. Just part of their daily routine.
Definitely not interested in that...

Quote:
Some people (financial or math type, numbers people) turn into stock/option traders after retirement.
Hmm... well I do have a background in statistics. It might be kinda fun to develop my own models to try to predict what stocks to buy, when to sell, etc. Plus I've been investing in mutual funds since I was a teenager (part of the reason why I'd be able to retire at 51) so I have some relevant experience. It's not something I'd want to do all day long, but I could see it occupying a portion of my time.

I should also mention that I'd prefer to do something productive. I wouldn't enjoy building models or trying to keep my lawn perfect. I'd have to feel like I was producing something useful.
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 115 diy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enough

Yeah. You probably know already since you're well into mutual funds! But anyways be on a lookout for friends, nearby, that have similar interest. It'll turn into an informal small club and everyone will have to look out for each other... endless text messages, instant up-to-the-minute accurate answers/assessments as each member has to be an armchair analyst, desk researcher and field spy person lol.

diy.phil
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Rep Power: 0 SloScooter will become famous soon enoughSloScooter will become famous soon enoughSloScooter will become famous soon enoughSloScooter will become famous soon enoughSloScooter will become famous soon enoughSloScooter will become famous soon enough

I think the answer is obvious unless you absolutely like working. What are your hobbies? You get to spend time doing things you never were able to do because of prior commitments.

If you still have school aged children, then you get to attend their events vice missing them due to work. Maybe volunteer at some of their events as a Ref for their sport, or making a meal for their team before the game. I'm reaching because I do not know you.

I retire in the next year or so. I will be busier in retirement than I ever was working and I work a lot. So many things I wish I had time for while I was working that I will have time for now.
SloScooter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Rep Power: 82 vinman will become famous soon enoughvinman will become famous soon enoughvinman will become famous soon enoughvinman will become famous soon enoughvinman will become famous soon enoughvinman will become famous soon enough

Retired in 2000 at the age of 38 when my numbers came in

Sold the house in the city and moved to the middle of a forest in northern Ontario on a large spread with an old house and barn
that I gutted and renovated over the next 10 years which kept me and the GF quite busy

The barn is now my metal/woodworking shop and garage where I've rebuilt most of
my rust buckets that go back to the 60's , installed quite a few systems
in most of them

Camping and fishing out of our canoes in the million of lakes around us and along the shores of upper Georgian Bay and Lake Superior in summer ,
camping out of my camper van in AZ in winter where I rock trade and buy parts for my cars at various events

We've been cross Canada and the US many times

I seldom hunt anymore since the freezer is always stuffed with veggies from
our vegetable garden , we do a pile of cooking , canning and food processing year round

4 wheeling , skidooing and trekking the many trails in our area in search of the perfect panoramic places to create images with my DSLRs
which I then print on a 24" Epson printer when the snow piles up outside

We're in a dark sky area of '1' on he Bortle scale , Skywatching and photographing the milky way and aurora off our deck
is often better then watching movies on the big screen

We heat the house with wood and cook on our woodstove which keeps me busy all year gathering wood from our lot

We still travel to the big city to play the tourists which gives us a chance to listen to our fav tunes in our fav vehicle/system

Turned down quite a few job offers over the years

Cheers ....... Vin

(web images from our area)
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloScooter View Post
I think the answer is obvious unless you absolutely like working. What are your hobbies? You get to spend time doing things you never were able to do because of prior commitments.
I've been fortunate to have a job that isn't especially demanding, so I can't say that I have a long list of things I was never able to do. That's a big part of what inspired me to make this post.

Quote:
If you still have school aged children, then you get to attend their events vice missing them due to work. Maybe volunteer at some of their events as a Ref for their sport, or making a meal for their team before the game.
That's another good idea... I've taken vacation days to go on a few of my kids' field trips, and we both enjoyed it. It's not the kinda thing I'd wanna do every week, but it's fun once in a while.

Quote:
I'm reaching because I do not know you.
Yeah that's definitely a difficulty in coming up w/ good suggestions. Like fishing was mentioned earlier... it's obviously a popular hobby, but any1 who knows me would know I'm not interested in it. Still, I appreciate the effort.

It's the same issue w/ vinman's post. I know a lot of people enjoy that wilderness lifestyle, but it's not for me. I actually just got back from a family trip to visit a relative who lives way up in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. After 2 days I was itching to go back home.

I think the main point I've learned from this thread is that it's not just 1 or 2 things that will occupy my time. And that actually suits me quite well -- I've always believed in having a diverse set of skills and interests, and I like the idea of being able to move from 1 activity to another when I feel like it.
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 304 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Retired in 2000 at the age of 38 when my numbers came in

Sold the house in the city and moved to the middle of a forest in northern Ontario on a large spread with an old house and barn
that I gutted and renovated over the next 10 years which kept me and the GF quite busy

The barn is now my metal/woodworking shop and garage where I've rebuilt most of
my rust buckets that go back to the 60's , installed quite a few systems
in most of them

Camping and fishing out of our canoes in the million of lakes around us and along the shores of upper Georgian Bay and Lake Superior in summer ,
camping out of my camper van in AZ in winter where I rock trade and buy parts for my cars at various events

We've been cross Canada and the US many times

I seldom hunt anymore since the freezer is always stuffed with veggies from
our vegetable garden , we do a pile of cooking , canning and food processing year round

4 wheeling , skidooing and trekking the many trails in our area in search of the perfect panoramic places to create images with my DSLRs
which I then print on a 24" Epson printer when the snow piles up outside

We're in a dark sky area of '1' on he Bortle scale , Skywatching and photographing the milky way and aurora off our deck
is often better then watching movies on the big screen

We heat the house with wood and cook on our woodstove which keeps me busy all year gathering wood from our lot

We still travel to the big city to play the tourists which gives us a chance to listen to our fav tunes in our fav vehicle/system

Turned down quite a few job offers over the years

Cheers ....... Vin

(web images from our area)
Oh man both of those pics are INCREDIBLE. I'm an outdoor guy too when it's not hotter than ten hells in Arkansas like right now!

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...I'd rather be hated for my honesty than loved for being fake
Hillbilly SQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #11

Rep Power: 82 vinman will become famous soon enoughvinman will become famous soon enoughvinman will become famous soon enoughvinman will become famous soon enoughvinman will become famous soon enoughvinman will become famous soon enough

Thank you Hillbilly SQ

The temperature in our house has never reached above 26 degrees Celsius (79F) since we moved here 20 years ago

The house is naturally cooled sitting on Canadian shield rock in the middle of a forest , we have no A/C

In winter the huge slab of rock under the house creates geothermal and keeps the basement
temperature above freezing when outside it's well below freezing

Having a metal/woodworking shop with a pile of tools gives me the incentive
to refurbish old bikes and cars when I'm not playing with electronics

Having a large vegetable garden is also a good way to pass the time , keeping the meals healthy
and saving us from driving to town on a weekly basis

There's nothing wrong with sitting on our deck all day with a pitcher of Sangria
or 2 fingers of Single Malt and a good Dominican cigar watching the
hummingbirds swing back and forth between the feeders and our flower patch

We frequently have deer , moose , bears , wolves , coyotes , lynx and a pile of other critters
going about their business in our backyard , and that alone
will take up hours of entertainment

We're only 3 hours from Toronto , but the big city 'fix' has slowly diminished
over the years since even sitting in a restaurant patio has become
detrimental to one's health ....ehehe
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

^hmmm I really need to try that single malt thing. I keep seeing the Glen-something pictures from my brother and have not tried any. He was here about 2 months ago and I broke out a Sterling Iridium cabernet. Another bottle ready for this labor day weekend when there's a small gathering.

diy.phil
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

Your brother's a very lucky person to be sharing such good Cabs ....ehehe

One of our other pastimes is wild mushroom picking in our woods
Tough Boletes are not as common as out west in the Rockies , we get a good crop
of Chanterelles and Morels especially in areas after a wildfire has occurred

Quite delicious to cook and eat in many recipes and once dried they fetch
enough cash for a couple of bottles of our fav Macallan 12 year old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement