android + verizon = win? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 169 audioman42 will become famous soon enoughaudioman42 will become famous soon enoughaudioman42 will become famous soon enoughaudioman42 will become famous soon enoughaudioman42 will become famous soon enoughaudioman42 will become famous soon enough

Default android + verizon = win?

finally, a great phone with great coverage. looks like i'm gonna be dumping apple in a few weeks. more info here

...and in case you missed the ads:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad
if you can't get a 2 way to sound good then a 3 way will rape your mother
audioman42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2009   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 230 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: android + verizon = win?

i believe jbls new processor has one built in.

should be available soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
bad contacts- main source of miracles in electricity.
60ndown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 177 Neil will become famous soon enoughNeil will become famous soon enoughNeil will become famous soon enoughNeil will become famous soon enoughNeil will become famous soon enoughNeil will become famous soon enough

I have the HTC Magic, which uses the Android OS, and I'm very satisfied with it. Once they roll out Flash onto all Android-equipped devices (they have it on the HTC Hero already), then Android will really take off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wehmeyer
The experience you have listening to music through speakers may be similar to drinking great wine and eating the best cheese, but the speaker isn't the wine, it's the wine glass. The music is the wine and cheese. Artists make great music, artisans make great food. Engineers and factories design and make great speakers.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 146 m3gunner will become famous soon enoughm3gunner will become famous soon enoughm3gunner will become famous soon enoughm3gunner will become famous soon enoughm3gunner will become famous soon enoughm3gunner will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to m3gunner

Right. I'm sure it will take off just like Linux.

Let's see:

1. Real keyboard
OK... but I never type more than about 30 characters at a time... and I can type about 30 wpm on the iPhone touchpad. Doesn't make a huge diff for me.

2. Simultaneous apps
Right... how many of you will be doing multiple things on your *phone*? Not me... When I want to make fart sounds, I never need anything else running.

3. 5 megapixels
Uh huh... nice. However, cell phone photos suck anyway, so you have more sucky pixels to play with...

4. Customize
Huh? wtf are they customizing? You can customize the order of your apps on the iPhone with iTunes 9 or later. Backgrounds? total waste of time. Font? Whatever.

5. Widgets
WTF x 2... aren't these just apps? Maybe I'm missing something...

6. Open development
Now, this is a valid point. Apple does have to approve apps that are offered through the app store... but this does keep some less than polished apps out of the pool. Along with apps from baddies. I can't give this one a point, though, because the development tools for the iPhone are *free* and to become a registered developer is only $99 for an unlimited license. Small change for doing the whole store thing.

7. Take photos in the dark
They're kidding, right?

8. Interchangeable batteries
I'm sure that many people out there are going to carry extra batteries with them to swap out when their phone goes dead. I have an external charging pack (RichardSolo 1800 for iPhone) that I carry in my bag if I get caught away from a charger. Works great, reduces the chance I'll lose the battery cover... Apple charges $90, but you can do it yourself (really, it's pretty simple) for $6.50. The link talks about an $8 replacement, but the item linked to is only $6.29 now...

iPhone Battery Replacement: $ 7.98 shipped|Gear Diary

and since the Droid comes from Motorola, we can be sure it will suck eggs.
m3gunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 186 drocpsu will become famous soon enoughdrocpsu will become famous soon enoughdrocpsu will become famous soon enoughdrocpsu will become famous soon enoughdrocpsu will become famous soon enoughdrocpsu will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to drocpsu

I dont know, looking at the howardforums photos, it looks like the slide-out keyboard might be tough to type on. The buttons look like they're flat, square, and smallish. The flat keys make it tough to tell what you're hitting.

I'm glad to see that android phones are finally showing up on VZW though. Hopefully they'll get a good response and more will be arriving (not that it really matters to me. I'm not a smartphone user). I'm just glad the options are out there.

2010 Ford Fusion: Bone stock.
drocpsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 146 blazeplacid will become famous soon enoughblazeplacid will become famous soon enoughblazeplacid will become famous soon enoughblazeplacid will become famous soon enoughblazeplacid will become famous soon enoughblazeplacid will become famous soon enough

I own an iphone and heres my reply....

1. Real keyboard
OK... but I never type more than about 30 characters at a time... and I can type about 30 wpm on the iPhone touchpad. Doesn't make a huge diff for me.

1.most people use their phone for email and not just basic text

2. Simultaneous apps
Right... how many of you will be doing multiple things on your *phone*? Not me... When I want to make fart sounds, I never need anything else running.

2. I hate running an app and then have to close it down and lose data just to read an email or a text.

3. 5 megapixels

Uh huh... nice. However, cell phone photos suck anyway, so you have more sucky pixels to play with...

3.I agree with you here

4. Customize
Huh? wtf are they customizing? You can customize the order of your apps on the iPhone with iTunes 9 or later. Backgrounds? total waste of time. Font? Whatever.

4.An iphone is pretty boring to look at now. I had to jailbreak mine just to have a reason to keep it. You can also change the way the app icon it self looks.

5. Widgets
WTF x 2... aren't these just apps? Maybe I'm missing something...

5. In a way but they constantly run in the background. Where your clock is located on top, you can put the temperature or a stock ticker

6. Open development
Now, this is a valid point. Apple does have to approve apps that are offered through the app store... but this does keep some less than polished apps out of the pool. Along with apps from baddies. I can't give this one a point, though, because the development tools for the iPhone are *free* and to become a registered developer is only $99 for an unlimited license. Small change for doing the whole store thing.

6.There are many great apps that dont make it for dumb reasons and they dont listen to what people want. Such as vonage, red laser, google voice, cycorder,etc

7. Take photos in the dark
They're kidding, right?

7.Iphone has horrible picture quaility even in some what dim light. If you dont have flood lights on your getting grain

8. Interchangeable batteries
I'm sure that many people out there are going to carry extra batteries with them to swap out when their phone goes dead. I have an external charging pack (RichardSolo 1800 for iPhone) that I carry in my bag if I get caught away from a charger. Works great, reduces the chance I'll lose the battery cover... Apple charges $90, but you can do it yourself (really, it's pretty simple) for $6.50. The link talks about an $8 replacement, but the item linked to is only $6.29 now...

8. The iphone needs 3-4 batteries to make it though one day with me[/QUOTE]
blazeplacid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 169 audioman42 will become famous soon enoughaudioman42 will become famous soon enoughaudioman42 will become famous soon enoughaudioman42 will become famous soon enoughaudioman42 will become famous soon enoughaudioman42 will become famous soon enough

there's some kind of weird counter on the droiddoes website and it expires at midnight on oct 30th.

Quote:
Old 10-19-2009   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 146 blazeplacid will become famous soon enoughblazeplacid will become famous soon enoughblazeplacid will become famous soon enoughblazeplacid will become famous soon enoughblazeplacid will become famous soon enoughblazeplacid will become famous soon enough

thats when the phone is released no?
Old 10-20-2009   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Sound Solutions Audio Inc.
Position:
Co-Owner

Rep Power: 181 Aaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really nice

I am interested.
Aaron Clinton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

they changed the counter on their website. it now ends at 12am on oct 28th instead of the 30th. nice!

Quote:
Old 10-20-2009   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 146 m3gunner will become famous soon enoughm3gunner will become famous soon enoughm3gunner will become famous soon enoughm3gunner will become famous soon enoughm3gunner will become famous soon enoughm3gunner will become famous soon enough

I'm never more fascinated than when irrelevance steps into technology...

1. I use a laptop for e-mail. It gives me the ability to easily communicate with others and still use things like apostrophes, which seem to be an optional thing for all of the GenY types... (although, they're just a tap away on my iPhone as well)

2. Only badly written apps will lose data when quit. Maybe I'm just not very popular, but I only check my messages once per hour or so... and *nothing* is important enough to quit iFart or WhoopieCushion.

4. Since when did a phone have to look good? Again... maybe this is just me being an old fart, but I don't need spiffy icons when the phone works.

5. Wow. Each of those functions is a tap away on my iPhone. Why use up processor time to keep that sort of stuff updated continuously?

6. Please... there are plenty of apps out there that do the same thing as the apps you listed... including the Vonage App for iPhone (search the app store for vonage) or pic2shop. Spend a couple of bucks and there are even more to choose from... like the previously mentioned "RedLaser"...

8. I'd argue that you are a little too connected if you need that much battery power for your phone over the course of a day away from a charging source. Personally, I work with a subset of Guy Kawasaki's recommendations for extending iPhone battery and I've never run out during the day...

How to Change the World: The Art of iPhone Battery Life
Old 10-21-2009   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

where'd 7 go?

my office phone is forwarded to my cell and my work email and personal are on push because of my job. So the battery is always dead.

I dont mean losing app data like your high score, I mean when you close it out, you have to restart the game, you cant go back to where you were.

and the widgets are nice because you can just unlock your phone and there they are, no need to go into an app and let it load, sure it will only take a few seconds but its much easier to just have it on your home screen.
Old 10-22-2009   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

7 went to the same location as 3.

I don't use the camera for anything resembling real photos, so if I can't see it, it doesn't get taken. 'nuff said. Besides that, a flash on a cell phone is like the

I wear a watch and go outside a few times per day. I don't need widgets to get the time or weather... nor do I want to waste battery power for the functions. What you don't realize is that you're paying a price for an always on app like that... and it takes the same second or so to *update* the widget, so it's really the same situation.

Hey... some people need those types of features... for them, I say "whoo hoo". My point is that most of the "selling" points that are pitched in the Droid commercial are just not issues for most (nearly all?) users.

Honestly, IMHO I don't think that buying the Droid because it has a replaceable battery is going to make a bit of difference to *you* as your power usage is going to kill *any* set of batteries and the hassle of keeping 4 batteries charged and maintained for a day of usage is gonna be a real pain. Think about it... if you have 4 extras, you're going to have to charge 4 extras every night... and with the typical 3-5 hour recharge time, you'll need a bunch of chargers to keep up.
Old 10-23-2009   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 161 ou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud of

The first time I see that commerical I was like WTF. Jumped up the computer and found that it was a phone. Duh. I wanna see how it compares to the Iphone. I bet the Iphone still has the edge though.
ou812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
I bet the Iphone still has the edge though.
all of the droid's hardware is either superior or comparable to the iphone 3gs'. it'll be running eclair (android os 2.0), so the software won't be too shabby either also, it's at&t free!

a "preview" has been posted by bgr: Motorola Droid Preview : Boy Genius Report

Quote:
Old 10-23-2009   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 joeboxer5876 will become famous soon enoughjoeboxer5876 will become famous soon enoughjoeboxer5876 will become famous soon enoughjoeboxer5876 will become famous soon enoughjoeboxer5876 will become famous soon enoughjoeboxer5876 will become famous soon enough

im glad at&t wanted me to pay an $800 deduct. when trying to get the iphone. i got the env touch with verizon. no deduct. either. pretty happy with it and the keyboard.
joeboxer5876 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

basically what sets the iphone apart is the apps

I know black berry and every other smart phone has them, but they dont adverstise the apps as much as apple does.

I understand the black berry is more of a business phone rather than a fun phone.

As long as Apple has a decent app with cheesy music people will buy.

I really like my iphone but at times I wanna try the new blackberries and the new smartphones, but then agian I dont wanna pay another $200 and sign a new contract
Old 10-25-2009   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

most of the apps i get from the app store only get used a few times. the only apps i use frequently are facebook, usa today, and pandora; i'm pretty sure the android store (or whatever they call it) has those.

Quote:
Old 10-26-2009   #19

Rep Power: 0 beretta92f will become famous soon enoughberetta92f will become famous soon enoughberetta92f will become famous soon enoughberetta92f will become famous soon enoughberetta92f will become famous soon enoughberetta92f will become famous soon enough

guaranteed that the droid will kill this quarter once its released. iphone cant compare.
beretta92f is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 132 bsvrs will become famous soon enoughbsvrs will become famous soon enoughbsvrs will become famous soon enoughbsvrs will become famous soon enoughbsvrs will become famous soon enoughbsvrs will become famous soon enough

I don't care a lot about this, because I will probably be sticking with a Blackberry, but it is quite hilarious to see the Apple fanboys get all butthurt that something might actually be better than their beloved iPhone.
bsvrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 949 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

My phone makes and receives calls, and can tell me the news while I'm dropping a deuce... it works just fine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 140 czechm8 will become famous soon enoughczechm8 will become famous soon enoughczechm8 will become famous soon enoughczechm8 will become famous soon enoughczechm8 will become famous soon enoughczechm8 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboxer5876 View Post
im glad at&t wanted me to pay an $800 deduct. when trying to get the iphone. i got the env touch with verizon. no deduct. either. pretty happy with it and the keyboard.
I recently upgraded to the Env Touch and I like this phone a lot. If the new Droid phone will have Wi-Fi, (which is counter-intuitive to the VZ business model) then I would be very interested.
I really hope VZ has finally decided to step up!
czechm8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 147 astronut will become famous soon enoughastronut will become famous soon enoughastronut will become famous soon enoughastronut will become famous soon enoughastronut will become famous soon enoughastronut will become famous soon enough

My cell phone is company supplied, and I'm quite happy with it... It's, get this, a phone! I can make and receive phone calls, anytime of the day or night..I can even use the spiffy little alarm to wake my ass up in the morning... Everything else is disabled.. no text messaging, no internet, no apps. I can take pictures and video, but they are stuck on the phone, because everything else is disabled. I like it better that way.. no silly distractions, just a phone doing what phones do best.. best of all, it's FREE!
astronut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

well, it was officially announced today and it's getting great reviews! the droid comes with google navigation installed (FREE!), so i'll getting rid of my garmin gps along with my ipod touch. it's a bad day for garmin and tomtom: link.

Google Navigation video hands-on: you want this

Quote:
Old 10-28-2009   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 186 drocpsu will become famous soon enoughdrocpsu will become famous soon enoughdrocpsu will become famous soon enoughdrocpsu will become famous soon enoughdrocpsu will become famous soon enoughdrocpsu will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to drocpsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioman42 View Post
well, it was officially announced today and it's getting great reviews! the droid comes with google navigation installed (FREE!), so i'll getting rid of my garmin gps along with my ipod touch. it's a bad day for garmin and tomtom: link.

Google Navigation video hands-on: you want this
I was wondering when someone would post this. The fact that it's free makes this is pretty awesome. It's definitely going to make people wonder why they're paying for 3rd party apps to do the same thing on their phones.

2010 Ford Fusion: Bone stock.
drocpsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement