Old School Showoff Thread - Page 10 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2008   #226
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 140 backotruck will become famous soon enoughbackotruck will become famous soon enoughbackotruck will become famous soon enoughbackotruck will become famous soon enoughbackotruck will become famous soon enoughbackotruck will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Old School Showoff Thread

I think its ironic that the most durable stuff comes from Japan, yet the culture there doesn't prefer old stuff. They get new cars on AVERAGE every 3 years!
backotruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2008   #227
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 157 circa40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to circa40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtomjr View Post

Pink Floyd Orion amp 1st gen

I can't image how much it take for me to get one of those.

I didn't even know that existed, thank you for posting that. I just jacked that pic for my picture collection
circa40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008   #228
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 152 lust4sound will become famous soon enoughlust4sound will become famous soon enoughlust4sound will become famous soon enoughlust4sound will become famous soon enoughlust4sound will become famous soon enoughlust4sound will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I sure like that Orion 4100GX. Not many left of those anymore...
Here are some more pics.
Alpine EQ's
Alpine HU's
Techniques Cass
Blaupunkt Houston
Alpine PB200, 3030, 3007,ect, ect...
The strangest one is the Pink-Floyd Orion.
Only one I have seen of these.

Minty 425 Orion 1st gen

MEMORIES!! That Alpine 20x20 EQ, I had one rigged to a Boombox in the 80's.

I opened the Ghetto Blaster up, wired the Alpine to the radios power source, took the speaker leads from the radio, wired them into the Alpine, out from the Alpine back to the radios speakers which I had updated with a pair of Coaxials from Alpine. I put carpet padding behind the coax speakers, this seemed to help the sound.

EQ was strapped tightly to the back of the radio.

Night and day difference in sound.

Only worked well when plugged into the AC outlet. Hey, I was a self taught 15 YO tinkerer. (I said tinkerer not Twink)
lust4sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008   #229
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 145 tomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by circa40 View Post

I didn't even know that existed, thank you for posting that. I just jacked that pic for my picture collection
Might sell or trade if for the right thing...I like it a lot. So it would have to be something pretty good. Have never seen another.

-classic car audio collector-
-former audio repair tech-
tomtomjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008   #230

Importer / Exporter

Quote:
Might sell or trade if for the right thing...I like it a lot. So it would have to be something pretty good. Have never seen another.
I bid on one of those on eBay a year or so ago... it may have been that very one, tomtom may have won it. It sold for less than a $100 if I remember right. I didn't even know there was such an amp. It's the same size as a 220GX but it's HCCA red...?? I bet that it's a pretty rare little fella. It could just be something that someone custom made, I don't know and I am an Orion nut. Nonetheless it's cool. Pink Floyd anything is cool!!
imjustjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008   #231
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 145 tomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustjason View Post
I bid on one of those on eBay a year or so ago... it may have been that very one, tomtom may have won it. It sold for less than a $100 if I remember right. I didn't even know there was such an amp. It's the same size as a 220GX but it's HCCA red...?? I bet that it's a pretty rare little fella. It could just be something that someone custom made, I don't know and I am an Orion nut. Nonetheless it's cool. Pink Floyd anything is cool!!
It is a promo one-off amp. These are my favorite thing to collect. I did get (steal) that one on the bay. I was expecting 3-400, but got it for a little over a hundred. Hell, I think my high bid was 500 or so. Figured another Orion collector would push the bid high, but it never happened. It was one of those few that I "had" to have. It was done like this by Orion. Positively. Has some light scratches like it was in a tool box or a drawer or something. But the pos and neg are uncut. Still has the factory solder on the tips. No marks from being mounted either. But I fixed that by hanging it on my Orion wall. (didn't leave any marks though. Lightly screwed in) ... Neat amp overall. I keep it next to the 420's and 220's . Speaking of the Orion amps. Does anyone have a 620GT ? I saw a pic of one once, and am unsure if it ever went into production. Would like to get a picture of another if anyone has one...

Old 10-04-2008   #232
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 148 nakamichidenon will become famous soon enoughnakamichidenon will become famous soon enoughnakamichidenon will become famous soon enoughnakamichidenon will become famous soon enoughnakamichidenon will become famous soon enoughnakamichidenon will become famous soon enough

punch 45
Attached Images
File Type: jpg punch 45 back.jpg (76.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg punch 45.jpg (67.6 KB, 76 views)
nakamichidenon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2008   #233

Importer / Exporter

Quote:
It is a promo one-off amp. These are my favorite thing to collect. I did get (steal) that one on the bay. I was expecting 3-400, but got it for a little over a hundred. Hell, I think my high bid was 500 or so. Figured another Orion collector would push the bid high, but it never happened. It was one of those few that I "had" to have. It was done like this by Orion. Positively. Has some light scratches like it was in a tool box or a drawer or something. But the pos and neg are uncut. Still has the factory solder on the tips. No marks from being mounted either. But I fixed that by hanging it on my Orion wall. (didn't leave any marks though. Lightly screwed in) ... Neat amp overall. I keep it next to the 420's and 220's . Speaking of the Orion amps. Does anyone have a 620GT ? I saw a pic of one once, and am unsure if it ever went into production. Would like to get a picture of another if anyone has one...
I had a 620GT at one time running a 3-way active system, and I put in another one for a guy... so they did go into production. I have seen one on eBay before, it went close to $200 if I remember right. Keep an eye out one will come up.
Old 10-05-2008   #234
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 138 Avernier will become famous soon enoughAvernier will become famous soon enoughAvernier will become famous soon enoughAvernier will become famous soon enoughAvernier will become famous soon enoughAvernier will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to Avernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by backotruck View Post
I think its ironic that the most durable stuff comes from Japan, yet the culture there doesn't prefer old stuff. They get new cars on AVERAGE every 3 years!

their laws charge them an extremely high tax on any vehicle over a certain mileage...its to make sure the emissions don't get too high...
Avernier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2008   #235
Upgrade Your Membership!

Inappropriate Thoughts

Rep Power: 1031 ChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaS10 View Post
their laws charge them an extremely high tax on any vehicle over a certain mileage...its to make sure the emissions don't get too high...
Hence the reason it used to be soooo easy to get JDM engines for Nissans, Toyotas, and Hondas.... Well, until the Fast and the Furious came out and everyone started putting Integra motors in their Civics....
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2008   #236
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 179 Dangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really nice

They also rust out that quickly because of the climate. That's why the older Toyotas, Hondas, used to have crap bodies and great powertrains, they were engineered where you could weld the hood shut and not worry about it for the expected lifespan of the vehicle, and throw the car away after you're done with it. Nowadays of course vehicles have gotten a lot better but you still get body damage from salt, moisture, etc
Dangerranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008   #237
DIYMA 500 Club

Human (not a robot)

Rep Power: 168 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by circa40 View Post

I just googled 98KUPD and it comes up a rock radio station in Arizona. Maybe it was a prize given away from that station back in the day.
Notloudenuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008   #238
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
zierbox

Rep Power: 138 zierbox will become famous soon enoughzierbox will become famous soon enoughzierbox will become famous soon enoughzierbox will become famous soon enoughzierbox will become famous soon enoughzierbox will become famous soon enough

zierbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008   #239
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 160 W8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Ok,
EARLY TO MID 80's PIONEER. I want some new in the box. Anyone have any?
That third one down looks like the first head unit I purchased for my first car.
I later added 2 Alphasonik pma(or ma)2100's. One powered the Pioneer 6903 6x9's with the white cones and the other powered 2 clear poly coned Alphalab 10" subs which I believe were made by MTX(Mitek)

My next head unit was a Kenwood 999....I would love to have one of those again.

Does anyone remember the Blaupunkt stalk mounted equalizers? Clarion also had one that looked like the stick from a fighter jet.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

With proper thrust pigs fly just fine.
W8 a minute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008   #240
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
zierbox

Rep Power: 138 zierbox will become famous soon enoughzierbox will become famous soon enoughzierbox will become famous soon enoughzierbox will become famous soon enoughzierbox will become famous soon enoughzierbox will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I sure like that Orion 4100GX. Not many left of those anymore...
Here are some more pics.
Alpine EQ's
Alpine HU's
Techniques Cass
Blaupunkt Houston
Alpine PB200, 3030, 3007,ect, ect...
The strangest one is the Pink-Floyd Orion.
Only one I have seen of these.

Minty 425 Orion 1st gen

who is this ?
zierbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008   #241

Importer / Exporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8 a minute View Post
That third one down looks like the first head unit I purchased for my first car.
I later added 2 Alphasonik pma(or ma)2100's. One powered the Pioneer 6903 6x9's with the white cones and the other powered 2 clear poly coned Alphalab 10" subs which I believe were made by MTX(Mitek)

My next head unit was a Kenwood 999....I would love to have one of those again.

Does anyone remember the Blaupunkt stalk mounted equalizers? Clarion also had one that looked like the stick from a fighter jet.
The Blaupunkt one was like a 5-band with some crazy round sliders or something, you worked the eq with your thumb I think; video game style... I can see it, but I don't remeber much about it.

That Clarion eq was fully digital, spectrum analyzer, crossover, memories... I remember that one well... it was hideous!! I remember some guy had two of them in his Jeep... why I don't know!

Those Pioneer cassette decks had the trim ring around the knobs that lit up... that was COOL!! If you didn't have one of those you were out!!!
Old 10-06-2008   #242

Importer / Exporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zierbox View Post
who is this ?

TomTomJr has all of that stuff... plus a LOT more.
Old 10-06-2008   #243
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by zierbox View Post
who is this ?
Just me, tomtomjr...

The EV or Gauss 30 inch sub looks like and install Drew Luther was doing a LONG time ago.
The 5 Zapco 151's are neat. Who's were they?

Old 10-06-2008   #244
DIYMA 500 Club

Looking at it again, Maybe a JBL 18 or a Fane 24? (in the mustang)

Old 10-06-2008   #245

Importer / Exporter

Quote:
Looking at it again, Maybe a JBL 18 or a Fane 24? (in the mustang)
I thought that was a Fostex 30". I know of a guy that installed one of those on top of his old well so he could have BASS out by the pool... now that's how you party!! I wonder how that works now, after a few years of corrosion eating away at it??
Old 10-06-2008   #246
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
JL Audio
Position:
VP Marketing

Rep Power: 322 msmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just me, tomtomjr...

The EV or Gauss 30 inch sub looks like and install Drew Luther was doing a LONG time ago.
The 5 Zapco 151's are neat. Who's were they?
That's an ElectroVoice (EV) 30-inch woofer... it had a styrofoam cone!

I sold a few back in the day. Also put one in the hatch of a Saab 900.
msmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008   #247
DIYMA 500 Club

Guess the well would have decent acoustics... Moisture would probably eat it up in no time though.

Old 10-06-2008   #248

Importer / Exporter

Quote:
Guess the well would have decent acoustics... Moisture would probably eat it up in no time though.
Never actually HEARD it only heard about it. Sounded like a waste to me. But I am sure some poeple would call what I do a waste too... beauty is in the eye of the beholder...you know
Old 10-06-2008   #249
Upgrade Your Membership!

Inappropriate Thoughts

Rep Power: 1031 ChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
EARLY TO MID 80's PIONEER. I want some new in the box. Anyone have any?
I had a late 80s model two shaft Pioneer with the trim assembly that lit up when connected. Ahh, the memories.
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008   #250
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLMUSTANGGT View Post
I had a late 80s model two shaft Pioneer with the trim assembly that lit up when connected. Ahh, the memories.
Light up face plates on shaft tuners are cool. Did anyone besides Pioneer make them? Add some Pioneer TSX-7's or TSX-8's box speakers and a Sparkomatic EQ, and you were in business. I rebuilt a set of each (TSX-7's and 8's), and use them on my roll-around bench tester/shop stereo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement