Old School Showoff Thread - Page 11 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008   #251

Importer / Exporter

Default Re: Old School Showoff Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtomjr View Post
Light up face plates on shaft tuners are cool. Did anyone besides Pioneer make them? Add some Pioneer TSX-7's or TSX-8's box speakers and a Sparkomatic EQ, and you were in business. I rebuilt a set of each (TSX-7's and 8's), and use them on my roll-around bench tester/shop stereo.
TSX-7's FTW!!! If you didn't have a set of those you were not cool!! Remember the TSX-20's... square woofers!!

I don't remember any other manufacturer making the trim plates light up. Jensen made some crazy looking decks were the shaft covers had buttons on them and no knobs... AZN-500 or somethink like that, they were goldish...
imjustjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008   #252
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 140 tomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enough

Everyone had a set of TSX-7's or TSX-8's. Here is a shot of part of my rolling Matco cart / test bench. I use an XM Samsung Helix, Pair of TSX-7's, Pair of TSX-8's, Cerwin Vega Turbocharger, Zapco SEQ, Zapco PX, Zapco 151A, Zapco Z-50, and a Clarion 32" sub sitting on top of a safe. I have some other boxed speakers I use too, but this is how I usually use my test-cart.

ALSO, I finally got some pics up of the back, inside, and power plate/side cover of the big blue Linear. I had a few of you asking about it. I will put them in links rather than pictures. Click links below for the pics of the Linear Power ...

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=PA052947.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...LPbluein-1.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...blueside-1.jpg

-classic car audio collector-
-former audio repair tech-
tomtomjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008   #253
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 170 tristan20 will become famous soon enoughtristan20 will become famous soon enoughtristan20 will become famous soon enoughtristan20 will become famous soon enoughtristan20 will become famous soon enoughtristan20 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to tristan20 Send a message via MSN to tristan20 Send a message via Yahoo to tristan20

Damn Tom, ok now break out the pics of the old school JVC ghettoblaster boom box

I know you probably got a few of those hehe
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008   #254
Upgrade Your Membership!

Inappropriate Thoughts

Rep Power: 1026 ChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Everyone had a set of TSX-7's or TSX-8's. Here is a shot of part of my rolling Matco cart / test bench. I use an XM Samsung Helix, Pair of TSX-7's, Pair of TSX-8's, Cerwin Vega Turbocharger, Zapco SEQ, Zapco PX, Zapco 151A, Zapco Z-50, and a Clarion 32" sub sitting on top of a safe. I have some other boxed speakers I use too, but this is how I usually use my test-cart.

ALSO, I finally got some pics up of the back, inside, and power plate/side cover of the big blue Linear. I had a few of you asking about it. I will put them in links rather than pictures. Click links below for the pics of the Linear Power ...

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=PA052947.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...LPbluein-1.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...blueside-1.jpg
What is the story on the big blue Linear Power. Was it custom made?
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008   #255
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 140 tomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enough

Hey Zierbox,
Like the install with the Power II. You wouldn't by chance have one of those still would you?
Sure wish I had pics from back then. I lost most over the years. I do have a few though. I will dig them out... Till then, this is all I can find for now. A video of my car from 93. Autotek, Zapco, JVC, ect...

Old 10-06-2008   #256
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLMUSTANGGT View Post
What is the story on the big blue Linear Power. Was it custom made?
Don't have much info on it. Still looking for info. I emailed Ray (TIPS) about it, and said that LP made it, but he didn't have much more info either. But that is what I am putting on the Audiobahn 34 in the Honda. Don't know if it will be enough power, but it sure will look good

LOVE the pics of the old Fosgate stuff. Sanyo amps (got a few new in box still ) . The Sony pieces, M&M's, ect... Do you by chance still have any of those?

Old 10-06-2008   #257
Upgrade Your Membership!

Inappropriate Thoughts

Rep Power: 1026 ChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Don't have much info on it. Still looking for info. I emailed Ray (TIPS) about it, and said that LP made it, but he didn't have much more info either. But that is what I am putting on the Audiobahn 34 in the Honda. Don't know if it will be enough power, but it sure will look good

LOVE the pics of the old Fosgate stuff. Sanyo amps (got a few new in box still ) . The Sony pieces, M&M's, ect... Do you by chance still have any of those?
My M&M Godfathers dry rotted at the surrounds so I tossed them in the trash. Years ago a family member with a substance abuse problem stole all the old school stuff that I had stored in my grandfather's shop so I don't have anything from the late 80s early 90s except for a couple of things that I purchased recently. The two things I miss the most are my purple Linear Power 5002IQ and my Hifonics Zeus V1. The thing that really gets me is that I worked my a$$ off for those items because I was only in high school at the time.

I also miss my first Sony CD players and old school Sony amplifiers that I used for my mids and highs when I was running Rockford Fosgate Punch amps for the subs. How come Sony had to go in the crapper with regards to a good, quality product?
Old 10-06-2008   #258
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
My M&M Godfathers dry rotted at the surrounds so I tossed them in the trash.

I also miss my first Sony CD players and old school Sony amplifiers that I used for my mids and highs when I was running Rockford Fosgate Punch amps for the subs. How come Sony had to go in the crapper with regards to a good, quality product?
I still have a lot of M&M's . I will post some pics tonight maybe.
On Sony, I don't know if they still make nice amps or not. A few years ago, they had a high end line of amps. Big $$$. Tristan had one of the big ones that he would not "give" me. Think it retailed at $4k or so.
And no Tristan, No JVC jamboxes... But I do have a big Magnavox. The one with the 8" sub in the center, and a pair of 6" mids.

Old 10-06-2008   #259

Importer / Exporter

Quote:
The two things I miss the most are my purple Linear Power 5002IQ and my Hifonics Zeus V1.
I have bought and sold sooo much stuff over the years and that (Linear 5002IQ) is the ONLY one that I really, really wish I had kept.
Old 10-07-2008   #260
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Event Horizon
Position:
Bending the laws of physics

Rep Power: 580 SublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXwrxWagon View Post

no original Blue Thunders.. same circa... such a cool thread....

Rob
2004 WRX Wagon
here ya go.

04 Z16 Z06 #479/Alpine9886/PXA-H100/Arc 4150XXK/ID oem's /Morel MDT-105S/Arc 2500XXK/HO 15
SublimeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008   #261

Rep Power: 275 ca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post
here ya go.

I think he meant the older ones that were like these but blue
ca90ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008   #262
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXwrxWagon View Post

Tomjr... I'm in Dallas... wee need to meet up some time... I would LOVE to just reveal in the collection..

Rob
2004 WRX Wagon
Rob, sure... I am south of Dallas. Waxahachie/Midlothian. Would like to see your Literature. Any M&M Lit? Or does anyone have any brochures of M&M? I want the one with the "Tri-Phase" setup. (6x9 or 8" woofer/mid/tweet) ... Also looking for early Rockford Fosgate Lit from 82 thru 85 that shows the Power 360/II/VI ...

Old 10-07-2008   #263
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 141 TXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enough

^^'s right there is nothing "Blue Thunder" in the amp pictured... The ORIGINAL Terminators & Blue Thunders were identical to the Orion HCCA's & the PPI ProMOS's of the day... ultra low impedance stable... 25-50w a channel @ 4-ohm to get under IASCA's power class rules.. etc

My old '75 Mustang license plate was "OHM MY 75" Running (2) Term 250's on something like 10-12 speakers.... a passive crossover network/stabilizing network that took up the entire underside of the trunk lid. LOL... OH the glory days...

look in the old CAr Stereo Reviews for the break down of Lucio P.'s (JL Audio Founder) of his Mustang GT to check out the insane passive networks we used to create to drive multiple speakers on 1 or 2 amps @ ultra low impedances....

Rob
2004 WRX Wagon
TXwrxWagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008   #264
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 943 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post
here ya go.

That ain't old-skool stud, I bought one NEW in '04!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008   #265
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 141 TXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enough

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/...nder_BTA_2100/

this is what I was referring too.... there were BTA-225's, -250's, alimited run of -275's, & the -2100.

Rob
2004 WRX Wagon
TXwrxWagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008   #266
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 179 HondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to HondAudio

Quote:
Pink Floyd Orion amp 1st gen

Hey, KUPD is a Phoenix station! Did Orion used to have headquarters around here?

Sweet amps back in the day
HondAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008   #267
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 156 -=Jeff=- will become famous soon enough-=Jeff=- will become famous soon enough-=Jeff=- will become famous soon enough-=Jeff=- will become famous soon enough-=Jeff=- will become famous soon enough-=Jeff=- will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondAudio View Post
Hey, KUPD is a Phoenix station! Did Orion used to have headquarters around here?

Sweet amps back in the day
When I had my Orion 280 GX(1991) and them my 225 HCCA (1993) the adress I sent them to a couple times for repair was in Tempe AZ..
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008   #268
Upgrade Your Membership!

Inappropriate Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
When I had my Orion 280 GX(1991) and them my 225 HCCA (1993) the adress I sent them to a couple times for repair was in Tempe AZ..
Wasn't Orion formed by someone who was originally affiliated with Rockford Fosgate? At least that is the rumor that I was always told. Also, prior to the DEI buyout, Orion was based in Arizona.
Old 10-08-2008   #269

Importer / Exporter

Quote:
Wasn't Orion formed by someone who was originally affiliated with Rockford Fosgate? At least that is the rumor that I was always told. Also, prior to the DEI buyout, Orion was based in Arizona.
Orion was on W Julie Dr, PPI was on S McKemey St, and Fosgate was on what else... Fosgate way all in Tempe, AZ. PPI was 3.5 miles from Orion... They are all within 10 miles of each other, Story was that the same three people founded all three of them... Obviously Jim Fosgate founded Rockford Fosgate, I think Richard Lemay founded Orion, he passed away in 92. I don't really know much about PPI, I always considered them and Orion the same, the DIN cables were the same the phantom power accessories were interchangeable. There were a lot of similarities.

Here is some good reading if you want to learn a little car audio history, talks some about AudioMobile... good stuff.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/f...?showtopic=349
Old 10-08-2008   #270
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustjason View Post
I always considered them and Orion the same, the DIN cables were the same the phantom power accessories were interchangeable. There were a lot of similarities.
All Fosgate and Rockford Fosgate (pre-87) has the same DIN connectors. PPI, Orion, Fosgate, and Rockford Fosgate will interchange with the DIN accessories.

Old 10-08-2008   #271
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 El-Akeem will become famous soon enoughEl-Akeem will become famous soon enoughEl-Akeem will become famous soon enoughEl-Akeem will become famous soon enoughEl-Akeem will become famous soon enoughEl-Akeem will become famous soon enough

Some facts about Richard LeMay and the "Big Three" from Phoenix-Tempe area:

El-Akeem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008   #272
Upgrade Your Membership!

Inappropriate Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Akeem View Post
Some facts about Richard LeMay and the "Big Three" from Phoenix-Tempe area:

Many thanks for posting this article. It now puts to rest some of the urban legends I heard about Orion and Rockford Fosgate. It also provides some insight as to why Orion and Precision Power were so dang similar
Old 10-08-2008   #273
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Axxis Audio Pagosa Springs
Position:
Manager/Custom Installer

Rep Power: 243 tr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is one of mine
Pic was take'n last year or so

Check us out on Facebook
www.axxisdurango.com
www.Hybrid-audio.com
Top 100 Installer 2010

Last edited by tr0y_audi0; 10-08-2008 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: wh00ps forgot the pic
tr0y_audi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008   #274
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Axxis Audio Pagosa Springs
Position:
Manager/Custom Installer

Rep Power: 243 tr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond repute

My Zapco's

Addzest DRX-9255 EXL

Check us out on Facebook
www.axxisdurango.com
www.Hybrid-audio.com
Top 100 Installer 2010
tr0y_audi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008   #275
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 261 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustjason View Post
Orion was on W Julie Dr, PPI was on S McKemey St, and Fosgate was on what else... Fosgate way all in Tempe, AZ. PPI was 3.5 miles from Orion... They are all within 10 miles of each other, Story was that the same three people founded all three of them... Obviously Jim Fosgate founded Rockford Fosgate, I think Richard Lemay founded Orion, he passed away in 92. I don't really know much about PPI, I always considered them and Orion the same, the DIN cables were the same the phantom power accessories were interchangeable. There were a lot of similarities.

Here is some good reading if you want to learn a little car audio history, talks some about AudioMobile... good stuff.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/f...?showtopic=349

I'm pretty sure Jim founded Fosgate and partnered with or bought out by Rockford. I've seen numerous pics of pre-Rockford, Fosgate amps and pre-amps.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement