Old School Showoff Thread - Page 21 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009   #501
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 137 Focalaudio will become famous soon enoughFocalaudio will become famous soon enoughFocalaudio will become famous soon enoughFocalaudio will become famous soon enoughFocalaudio will become famous soon enoughFocalaudio will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to Focalaudio Send a message via MSN to Focalaudio

Default Re: Old School Showoff Thread

Man this thread bring back some good day's memory's! I remember when I was back in high school and a Rockford Punch 150 driving 2 Punch 10's in a custom ported one piece box made for a regular cab Chevy S-10 and to this day I still think it was the best sounding and hardest hitting amp/sub combo I've ever owned. You could feel and hear that thing coming for miles and best thing about it was the clarity of the subs and running them off of an Alpine 7904 and 3318 e.q. (I think). I also had some horn loaded mids/highs that would make your ears bleed in that little truck. Damn where are the times going?? Keep this thread up becasue I have nothing better to do until this foot of snow goes away!
Focalaudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009   #502
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 169 PPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the rough

Talking about boxes and old school setups, this may sound completely off the wall but, back in the late 80's-early 90's, I remember reading about an installer somewhere in Florida that would build a sub box and only use it if his pet turtle liked the box when he set him inside it! LOL!
I am not smoking anything and i am not drinking. I SWEAR I read this story in a CA & E or some other car audio type magazine. Yeah, sounds totally crazy but, the guy absolutely believed his turtle could predict how a empty sub box would perform.
And no, he didn't say anything about the turtle "talking" to him.
PPI_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009   #503
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Car Teks Inc.
Position:
Jack of all trades

Rep Power: 153 Tonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enough

my little contribution to this thread:

Tonyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009   #504
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Car Teks Inc.
Position:
Jack of all trades

Rep Power: 153 Tonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enough

Damn Double posts!

Last edited by Tonyguy; 02-03-2009 at 08:42 PM..
Old 02-03-2009   #505
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Car Teks Inc.
Position:
Jack of all trades

and more:

Old 02-03-2009   #506
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Car Teks Inc.
Position:
Jack of all trades

Damn Double Posts!
Old 02-03-2009   #507
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Car Teks Inc.
Position:
Jack of all trades

and my A/D/S collection:

Old 02-03-2009   #508
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 133 att1214@comcast.net will become famous soon enoughatt1214@comcast.net will become famous soon enoughatt1214@comcast.net will become famous soon enoughatt1214@comcast.net will become famous soon enoughatt1214@comcast.net will become famous soon enoughatt1214@comcast.net will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabe View Post
I'm currently using one of those badboys as my subwoofer amplifier. Best damn sub amp I've ever used. It's running at 1ohm powering a DD3512e... it pushes that woofer to it's limits (and that's no easy task), and never heats up. I don't know how an amp runs at 1ohm in a pretty much unventilated trunk and never heats up.

BTW - I tried powering the same woofer with my RF Power 1000 (pictured earlier in this thread)... it barely moved. The 40UHC.... I think it could pop my DD if I let it.
i guess the earthquake would put out more than the power 1000 since it;s rated at 4 ohms mono and is four channels, not a good comparison to me and the eathquake is 1 ohm stable. is that dd dual 2 ohms or dual 4 ohms
att1214@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009   #509
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Car Teks Inc.
Position:
Jack of all trades

anyone know where I can get plugs for these ads amps besides robotunderground on ebay? I'd really like some authentic ones.
Old 02-03-2009   #510
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 172 starboy869 is on a distinguished roadstarboy869 is on a distinguished roadstarboy869 is on a distinguished roadstarboy869 is on a distinguished roadstarboy869 is on a distinguished road

I finally got my Coustic collection completed ish. Still looking for a 262u and a 362u. However $ for car audio right now is ummm no.

What I have here are

162u, 160u, 260u, 360u, & a 460u

35x2 on the 160's, 50wx2 for the 260, 75w x 2 for the 360 and 100x2 on the 460u

Chris
system for sale.

Last edited by starboy869; 02-03-2009 at 10:22 PM..
starboy869 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009   #511
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 145 tomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by starboy869 View Post
I finally got my Coustic collection completed ish. Still looking for a 262u and a 362u. However $ for car audio right is ummm no.

What I have here are

Neat looking Coustic amps. Don't know anything about that series of Coustic, but is much nicer looking than some of their amps. I am looking for a Coustic 150 and a 500. The ones from the early 80's. Come across any of those in your Coustic searches?

-classic car audio collector-
-former audio repair tech-
tomtomjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009   #512
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 172 starboy869 is on a distinguished roadstarboy869 is on a distinguished roadstarboy869 is on a distinguished roadstarboy869 is on a distinguished roadstarboy869 is on a distinguished road

and for the reason my $ for car audio is ummm no

Chris
system for sale.
Old 02-03-2009   #513
DIYMA 500 Club

Sorry I haven't seen those models, however I haven't been paying attention. The coustic 160u was my first. Check ebay out often or a google search.

Now I have to get a coustic 550 under my belt. haha Nothing like a 80's style amp that in the manual recommends an industrial battery to be used.

Chris
system for sale.
Old 02-03-2009   #514

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,512 Times in 663 Posts
Rep Power: 26023 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

these are in my build thread, but figured I'd share here, too...

Check the mfg date on the headunit.

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009   #515
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 160 W8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPI_GUY View Post
Talking about boxes and old school setups, this may sound completely off the wall but, back in the late 80's-early 90's, I remember reading about an installer somewhere in Florida that would build a sub box and only use it if his pet turtle liked the box when he set him inside it! LOL!
I am not smoking anything and i am not drinking. I SWEAR I read this story in a CA & E or some other car audio type magazine. Yeah, sounds totally crazy but, the guy absolutely believed his turtle could predict how a empty sub box would perform.
And no, he didn't say anything about the turtle "talking" to him.
Sorta true. The turtle would react to different frequencies by raising or lowering his head. Therefore the box was loaded and playing test tones. I assume it was for port tuning. Was it accurate? I have no idea.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

With proper thrust pigs fly just fine.
W8 a minute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009   #516
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 160 W8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the roughW8 a minute is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gex90 View Post
This is my gear in my car (Not able to get pictures of it at this moment):

Alpine 7944 Head unit
Alpine CHA-S605 CD-changer
PXA-H600 DIGITAL PHASE PROCESSOR
Nakamichi PA-302 x 2
Power Acoustik OV2-1800
Boston Pro 10.5LF 4Ohm x 2
Boston Pro 5.4 (rear)
Macrom EXT6.0 (front)

Very happy with the combination of the Alpine equipment, the PA-302's and the EXT6.0. Gives a nice, warm sound.

The pictures are showing the Alpine components in my collection (exept my "Alpine 7375 6-cassette changer" which I was not able to get a picture of at this moment):
Thank you for posting that. I've had people call me a flat out liar when I tell them about the changer. I knew I wasn't crazy. I held one in my hand back in the day.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

With proper thrust pigs fly just fine.
W8 a minute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009   #517
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 266 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Someone needs a Coustic 660 and 680...

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009   #518
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 169 PPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Someone needs a Coustic 660 and 680...
I have owned a 660 and even though it was surfboard (approx. 25" long i think) it was powerful and clean. Very nice amp, just a very large footprint.
Old 02-03-2009   #519
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8 a minute View Post
Sorta true. The turtle would react to different frequencies by raising or lowering his head. Therefore the box was loaded and playing test tones. I assume it was for port tuning. Was it accurate? I have no idea.

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew I had read that. Just found it to be...well, alittle bizarre.
Old 02-04-2009   #520
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 142 lowpoke will become famous soon enoughlowpoke will become famous soon enoughlowpoke will become famous soon enoughlowpoke will become famous soon enoughlowpoke will become famous soon enoughlowpoke will become famous soon enough

So where can I get me one o' them test tone turtles?!

Homebuilt Hi-Fi Show us what ya got. You know you want to.
lowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009   #521
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 152 Thewiz666 will become famous soon enoughThewiz666 will become famous soon enoughThewiz666 will become famous soon enoughThewiz666 will become famous soon enoughThewiz666 will become famous soon enoughThewiz666 will become famous soon enough

Man this thread is long... saw some things that brought back fond memories of my carefree youth. A lot of the pieces I saw there wasn't a dealer for here in KC so I don't have experience with what's so legendary about them.

At some point I may dig out some stuff I have, but it mostly consists of 90's RF gray and black BBQ and a/d/s MX or PH amps, although there's probably much that I'm forgetting too. A Power 650 I bought new, and my Alpine gear that I still use from around 1990, give or take.
Thewiz666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009   #522
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 310w6 will become famous soon enough310w6 will become famous soon enough310w6 will become famous soon enough310w6 will become famous soon enough310w6 will become famous soon enough310w6 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by starboy869 View Post
I finally got my Coustic collection completed ish. Still looking for a 262u and a 362u. However $ for car audio right now is ummm no.

What I have here are

Nice, I just sold my 268u 4x50 amp. I still have a old Coustic 380 and a 120
310w6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009   #523
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 141 SUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enough

You Coustic fans are thinking of the AMP 560, not 550. My brother has one. Big sucker. 4 ga. power and ground leads. 120x4 @ 4 ohms but it was tested to do around 1000 RMS at 2 ohms I think back in the day. Same size heatsink as the AMP 660 which was a 50x6. I remember our local car audio dealer bring in a couple of 660's that were refurb B stock items selling for cheap.

Tonyguy, nice collection there of quality gear.

Hmmmmmm how about this for the old skoolers: Hollywood Sound Labs. They had what I am sure was a Focal-built, multi-magnet 15" sub which was painted teal (not red like the Focals). Anybody ever own or seen one?

I remember the Turtle Guy. Name escapes me. He started out with a early-80s Mustang GT that he tuned the sub box according to what movements his turtle did. He then switched to an Exploder. I'm sure it was a gimmick to get creativity points and magazine time more than anything. He's still remembered for that trick to this day, so it worked.

Pioneer made a cassette changer? Wow, never seen one I don't think. I just remember the Alpine. It was really expensive when new.
SUX 2BU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009   #524
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 141 SUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gex90 View Post
You're right. There were sold very few cassette changers since the CD-changers came at the same time. Another reason was that it was very expensive. It's easy to understand that by looking at the specifications: It had an optical connection between the changer and the control unit. It had Dolby B/C and DBX that was set individual for each cassette in the changer. Real unique. Picture of the player is attached.

I agree, Robb, 7909L is a great player. Attached a picture of that one as well, and finally a picture of the 7288.
For sure, I didn't even know about the optical connection until one showed up on Ebay and it had that cable. Pretty darn forward thinking for the 80's! Great pics too. Those were the best-looking head units......ever. My brother had a 7288 he bought new. I was able to find a mint one at a flea market a few years ago for $15.
SUX 2BU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009   #525
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

PASS as in Nelson Pass?

Nick
oısɹǝʌǝɹ :ɐʇɐqoɹd snʇɹıʌ
Now stripped out
n_olympios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement