Burned by customer service - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2019   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 93 Krieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enough

Default Burned by customer service

A bit over 2 months ago I bought a JBL 670 GTI Component set from Sonic. I read nothing but amazing things about the 660ís over the years, and that the 670s were virtually the same minus the waveguides. I get them installed and they sound great. Then 2 Sundayís ago the right woofer cuts out during moderate play during a 20 min drive. Next day I have my installer bench test the woofer and even try running another speaker in the place to rule out it being on my systems end. The test speaker works fine, but the 670 woofer wasnít producing any noise so I open an RA with Sonic because their product page claims they have a 3 year warranty So while Iím waiting for customer service to shoot me an email with instructions I get an email saying they inspected the item and thereís nothing they can do for me, despite the RA just being opened that morning and me not sending them anything yet! So after I point that out I kinda feel like support realized this and backpedaled. That left me with a gut feeling that this wasnít going to be resolved. So I send the woofer to them and as predicted they say they they canít find anything wrong with the speaker. I request a video and to my surprise I get one but in retrospect they only played it for a short time and at a low volume. I get the speaker back, hook it up and itís playing. Iím like Iím glad I was wrong, but after turning the volume up above like 5 , then it goes distorted and stops working. I donít even know what to do at this point.

https://youtu.be/OjiBsp03AT8
Krieger88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019   #2

Rep Power: 33 SlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Burned by customer service

I've heard many reports of Sonic Electronix having less than stellar support.

2014 Honda Accord LX - JL Audio C2-650, Kicker CSC674, Helix DSP Pro MK1, Pioneer GM-D8604, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D
SlvrDragon50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2019   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 93 Krieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
I've heard many reports of Sonic Electronix having less than stellar support.
Prior to this I’ve made maybe 5 purchases from them over the years an never had an issue. Though none of the products shit out after 2 months requiring me to contact support.

Old 06-24-2019   #4

Rep Power: 11 OldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enough

Krieger88, I don't know what description you originally gave them for the fault, but when I read the OP, I thought the driver was dead. In the video, it is clear that it is intermittent and VC position related. Did you relay this info to them? I worked audio retail in the '80s and had my share of units that came in for repair as dead only to have them work fine. Most were due to customers not understanding how to operate the equipment but some were simply intermittent and working at the time I tested them. A bench test will often not show the same flaws as a car install would. Email them back and explain in detail that it is an intermittent fault that can be replicated by moving the VC. State that you have tried the driver in different environments and it exhibits the same fault. Ask them to test the unit again. If they refuse, contact JBL.
OldNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNewbie View Post
Krieger88, I don't know what description you originally gave them for the fault, but when I read the OP, I thought the driver was dead. In the video, it is clear that it is intermittent and VC position related. Did you relay this info to them? I worked audio retail in the '80s and had my share of units that came in for repair as dead only to have them work fine. Most were due to customers not understanding how to operate the equipment but some were simply intermittent and working at the time I tested them. A bench test will often not show the same flaws as a car install would. Email them back and explain in detail that it is an intermittent fault that can be replicated by moving the VC. State that you have tried the driver in different environments and it exhibits the same fault. Ask them to test the unit again. If they refuse, contact JBL.
Before they shipped my speaker back I asked if my installer could speak to the tech in the screenshots and he just dodged the request and put me straight to an automated response after. I think I’m going to have to go to Jbl at this point.
Old 06-24-2019   #6

Rep Power: 11 OldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enough

If you go that route, I would mention to JBL the poor service you received from Sonic. I will likely make no difference, but they should know.
OldNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019   #7

Rep Power: 33 SlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger88 View Post
Before they shipped my speaker back I asked if my installer could speak to the tech in the screenshots and he just dodged the request and put me straight to an automated response after. I think Iím going to have to go to Jbl at this point.
Yea, this combined with other horror stories of poor CS pretty much removes Sonic Electronix from my list of stores to shop at. They have some nice deals, and I'd probably buy things unlikely to fail from them such as cables or plastic pieces, but I'd very much rather buy speakers and amps from Crutchfield.

2014 Honda Accord LX - JL Audio C2-650, Kicker CSC674, Helix DSP Pro MK1, Pioneer GM-D8604, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D
Old 06-24-2019   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,177 Posts
Rep Power: 452 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Can confirm. Sonics customer service is the worst i have ever come across.

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Opened up a support ticket with JBL, just waiting on them to call me back.
Old 06-27-2019   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

JBL is going to help me out, though they want me to send back the entire component set for a new one, kinda annoying to yank everything out instead of sending them the one already removed driver. But it’s my only choice if i want to solve my dilemma without spending money I shouldn’t have to.
Old 06-27-2019   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 391 captainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond repute

Better to swap out both woofers anyway. I'm sure JBL will get you taken care of.

------------------------------------------------------
2018 Iasca ProAm Champion
2018 Meca Extreme 2nd Place

2018 Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

Just waiting on JBL to ship my replacement. They have the wicked combo of being on the opposite coast and moving like snails. One response a day, took 5 days upon receiving to the even check the return and finally told today they’ll ship out within 48 hours. If not tomorrow then it’s going to be delayed to the next business day Monday. Then that would me I wouldn’t get the replacement until the following Monday. Sorry if this sounds like whining but had to rant on how dragged out this becoming.

I even tossed around the idea of just ordering another set of speakers I’ve wanted to try and just sell the BNIB replacement.
Old 07-11-2019   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 190 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

This whole thread is only 2 weeks old. Not a super long delay figuring you worked first with SE and then with JBL. But yeah for sure buy something else like Audiofrog, and sell the JBL's.

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 RM12 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2019   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 192 Bayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud of

JBL is a solid company. Never had an issue with them on service. They're sending you a replacement, something that SE avoided. Not overnight, but I think they deserve some credit for at least validating the warranty. Most companies would take about the same time

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2019   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 304 LBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond repute

I alwas got quick responce from JBL, they were always very helpful they once even tested one AMP/2 x SW combo to make sure amp is stable with that load,....

It is of course better to swap both drivers at once
Probably you had minor problem - maybe some loose contact between speaker terminals and VC

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
LBaudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2019   #16
Upgrade Your Membership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
This whole thread is only 2 weeks old. Not a super long delay figuring you worked first with SE and then with JBL. But yeah for sure buy something else like Audiofrog, and sell the JBL's.
I’ve been without tunes since the speaker itself stopped working on June 9th. Wasn’t going to run a system without the passenger midwoofer or risk damaging things even further. Wish I went to jbl in the first place instead of wasting time with Sonic. If I could find the audio frog Crossovers for cheap I would of went with those as they’re design is pretty much a more current version of the 660gtis and I love my audio frog subs.
Old 07-12-2019   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger88 View Post
Just waiting on JBL to ship my replacement. They have the wicked combo of being on the opposite coast and moving like snails. One response a day, took 5 days upon receiving to the even check the return and finally told today theyíll ship out within 48 hours. If not tomorrow then itís going to be delayed to the next business day Monday. Then that would me I wouldnít get the replacement until the following Monday. Sorry if this sounds like whining but had to rant on how dragged out this becoming.

I even tossed around the idea of just ordering another set of speakers Iíve wanted to try and just sell the BNIB replacement.
Pretty standard warranty speed IMO. The bigger the company, the slower they are. My Arctery'x jacket warranty took 6 weeks just to process it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement