Old 03-03-2014   #1
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Sundownz
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 232 sundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond repute

Default Built Nightshade v.3 15"

I came in yesterday and built this bad boy... a customer had ONE unit on order for a bit and I got a pair of the Aluminum sleeves as samples so I am building this one and one other one this week (both with fat 8-layer coils and are single sub orders). These also don't call for any Gap ID sleeves as they use the fat coil -- so I have enough parts to make them.

-----

* Collecting the parts up.

* You can see the black coated aluminum pole sleeve in place on the pole but not Gap ID sleeve -- so the overall gap is still pretty massive. The "fat" coil fills it up nicely, though.

* Starting the rear glue joint

* Rear glue joint completed

* Prototype "XL" lead wire option. The XL spiders for the NS v.3 are EXTRA red in color. The stock spiders are a very faint reddish with smaller triple lead wires. These leads are prototypes for now -- we'll offer them later as an option for anyone.

* It was interesting to get these all in the terminal.

* Finished product

* Finished product

-----

So I hope to get it tested and dust cap on today

I probably haven't said much over here on DIYMA... but the NS v.3 features a new "gap sleeve" system that allows 45 possible gap configurations. I stock about 8 different coils that will work in these various configurations as well (both D1 and D2 versions... so 16 varieties). Needless to say it's flexible.

At some point I may offer an under-hung as well

- Jacob Fuller
- Owner, Sundown Audio
- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK
- I DO NOT USE PMs -- Email me at [email protected]
sundownz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014   #2
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Sundownz
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 232 sundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Built Nightshade v.3 15"

I pulled the T/S spec today -- notice how low inductance is even with the massive fat coil. That is the pole sleeve in action -- and the NS v.3 also has a magnet ID ring and a pole cap ring... so triple faraday action

Yes that is right around 1/2 of the Re in terms of Le.

- Jacob Fuller
- Owner, Sundown Audio
Old 03-03-2014   #3

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

That thing looks beefy. Any idea of the approximate xmax and xmech? I looked 3 times, I hope it's not sitting there in the specs you showed.
BuickGN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014   #4
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Sundownz
Position:
Owner

Those are not listed in the spec.

This particular coil is relatively short at 55mm in length -- top plate is 40mm thick -- linear x-max comes out to around 25mm one-way by FEA prediction for 70% BL point. In the past my Klippel x-max has been higher than FEA thanks to the tall pole extension; so should touch close to 30mm one-way (27-30mm or so).

The "stock" coil for these is a 4-layer flat wire 80mm long. FEA predicts 32.5mm one-way from that setup; I'd expect a Klippel of 36-40mm or so for 70% BL.

X-Mech is VERY high... even with the longest coil motor limited x-mech is close to 3" in one direction.

Fun fact for SQ guys -- when the 4-layer stock coil is combined with the aluminum sleeve inductance is around ~25% of the RE value

- Jacob Fuller
- Owner, Sundown Audio
Old 03-03-2014   #5

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

Wow, that's awesome. If these become available I might have to try a pair...... IB of course lol.
BuickGN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014   #6
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Sundownz
Position:
Owner

They will definitely be available within ~2 weeks or so

- Jacob Fuller
- Owner, Sundown Audio
Old 03-17-2014   #7
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Sundownz
Position:
Owner

Pulled specs on the first STOCK one from the batch we built w/ Red Spiders + XL Leads. Other than the XL lead wire this one is bone stock -- just a bit heavier MMS from the extra giant lead wires but otherwise basically a stock spec.

The stock drivers use an ~80mm long 4-layer flat coil; as opposed to the shorter 8-layer round coil posted above.

Stock gap spec is 74.5mm steel pole // 85.2mm steel gap OD... coil is ~82.5mm OD and 76.7mm ID leaving a gap of 1.35mm OD and 1.1mm ID.

I also offer a pole sleeve of 75.5mm (0.6mm gap) and an OD sleeve of 84.25mm (0.875mm gap) // basically makes the gap very similar to the Z v.2 model (tightest gap we ever offered) -- for guys looking to burp these; that will pair great with the upcoming SPL cones and spiders for a nasty high frequency setup. BL will shoot up quite a bit with those tight sleeves.

- Jacob Fuller
- Owner, Sundown Audio
Old 04-17-2014   #8
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Sundownz
Position:
Owner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymG-...ature=youtu.be

NS v.3 15" in action

- Jacob Fuller
- Owner, Sundown Audio
Old 04-17-2014   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 113 quietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enough

WOW that's insane.....
quietfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014   #10
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Sundownz
Position:
Owner

It's getting close to 5" p-p travel.

- Jacob Fuller
- Owner, Sundown Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement