JBL MS-8 And Going Active Help - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 99 coolassloserp will become famous soon enoughcoolassloserp will become famous soon enoughcoolassloserp will become famous soon enoughcoolassloserp will become famous soon enoughcoolassloserp will become famous soon enoughcoolassloserp will become famous soon enough

Default JBL MS-8 And Going Active Help

Hello Audio Enthusiasts,

I recently installed my JBL Ms-8 and everything went smoothly except for one big problem: My CD player does not work anymore. I believe the laser has crapped out. In the manual, JBL stated that it is essential/necessary to run the calibration CD for oem headunit installations.

So I skipped the CD calibration part (not sure if the MS8 identified my headunit as an after market since I skipped this portion) and just went straight to the filter adjustments.

First question: How necessary is it for me to get my CD player fixed to calibrate the MS-8? Add a single din after market headunit below my navi maybe?

Right now I'm running my Rainbow Vanadium set passive...

Second question is: when switching to 2-way active, does everyone run new, good quality, speaker wires from output of the external amplifier back up to the fronts? 4 separate speaker wires to be exact? Or do people do 2 only for the tweeters, and tap into the front factory speaker wires for the midwoofers?
-Reason why I ask is because I'll be doing the install myself and running the speaker wires from the passenger side to the driver tweet & mid is tough!

I do apologize for the repetitive/ sorta novice questions. I just want my money pit of car audio to sound good during my long commute hours to work,school, & home. So far it's a huge improvement from my previous set-up with Audiocontrol's LC7 with no added EQ. I'm really enjoying the clarity and soundstage the MS8 brought up!

System in 05 Acura TL w/ Navi:
Front: Rainbow Vanadiums 265 (2-way - currently passive)
JBL MS-8
DLS A7 amp (bridged - 3 channel)
12" Image Dynamics IDQ
rears running off amp of MS8.

I posted in my car forum, but thought I'd post on here for extra advice...
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
coolassloserp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 104 duro78 will become famous soon enoughduro78 will become famous soon enoughduro78 will become famous soon enoughduro78 will become famous soon enoughduro78 will become famous soon enoughduro78 will become famous soon enoughduro78 will become famous soon enough

The OEM vs aftermarket just determines if your using speaker inputs or rca's. An after market deck obviously uses RCA outputs so the whole process of using the CD isn't necessary. Without your OEM CD player working the ms8 won't be able to level match the signal inorder to drive your amps. So basically if your using an OEM radio the signal needs to be converted from high output to low and that's where the CD process comes in. Hope this answers your question

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Head unit- Pioneer DEH 80prs Dsp- JBL Ms8 Amps -2 ppi p900.4
. Tweeters - Lpg26na Midrange - Tang band W3
. Mid Bass - Rs180 sub - 2 jl 10w6v2
duro78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 99 coolassloserp will become famous soon enoughcoolassloserp will become famous soon enoughcoolassloserp will become famous soon enoughcoolassloserp will become famous soon enoughcoolassloserp will become famous soon enoughcoolassloserp will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JBL MS-8 And Going Active Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by duro78 View Post
The OEM vs aftermarket just determines if your using speaker inputs or rca's. An after market deck obviously uses RCA outputs so the whole process of using the CD isn't necessary. Without your OEM CD player working the ms8 won't be able to level match the signal inorder to drive your amps. So basically if your using an OEM radio the signal needs to be converted from high output to low and that's where the CD process comes in. Hope this answers your question

Yes it does. Thanks. I will make fixing my CD player a priority since another person has told me that the calibration CD helps flatten out the signal and that's when it does its time alignment thingy.

2nd question: If I were planning to run 2-way active in front, would I have to assign 4 inputs? How would I do that?

Old 03-15-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 104 duro78 will become famous soon enoughduro78 will become famous soon enoughduro78 will become famous soon enoughduro78 will become famous soon enoughduro78 will become famous soon enoughduro78 will become famous soon enoughduro78 will become famous soon enough

The meat and potatoes of the ms8 is done during calibration. The unit cant be used without all the steps being done anyway. The drivers are assigned during the setup. Do you have a manual? If not it can be downloaded on jbls site.

Head unit- Pioneer DEH 80prs Dsp- JBL Ms8 Amps -2 ppi p900.4
. Tweeters - Lpg26na Midrange - Tang band W3
. Mid Bass - Rs180 sub - 2 jl 10w6v2
duro78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Well I just skipped the CD calibration setup process. It was mandatory to go through the filter, eq, and seat measurement. So I did not entirely skip the whole setup process of the MS-8.

Gosh I can't wait to fix the CD problem and then redo the setup.
Old 03-15-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
blue tape customs
Position:
janitorial technician

Rep Power: 273 AndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond repute

The calibration disc also tells the brain of the unit to "un-eq" whatever curve the factory head has as well doesn't it? The reason it isn't needed on an aftermarket head is because once you bypass all the processing etc it should have a relatively flat output from the RCA

Team Punk Rock SQ Team Inappropriate
AndyInOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyInOC View Post
The calibration disc also tells the brain of the unit to "un-eq" whatever curve the factory head has as well doesn't it? The reason it isn't needed on an aftermarket head is because once you bypass all the processing etc it should have a relatively flat output from the RCA
You're probably right. So basically I'm not taking advantage of its full capabilities right?
Old 03-15-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 for1sho will become famous soon enoughfor1sho will become famous soon enoughfor1sho will become famous soon enoughfor1sho will become famous soon enoughfor1sho will become famous soon enoughfor1sho will become famous soon enough

hey guys,
need some advice on if I should purchase a jbl ms-8 or keep using the sony
dsp that comes from the factory from ford. the amp is sony also? I plan on keeping the nav head unit. so figuring out how to hook everything up and clean
the sound up. putting a sub in the trunk for low end. thanks in advance
for1sho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by for1sho View Post
hey guys,
need some advice on if I should purchase a jbl ms-8 or keep using the sony
dsp that comes from the factory from ford. the amp is sony also? I plan on keeping the nav head unit. so figuring out how to hook everything up and clean
the sound up. putting a sub in the trunk for low end. thanks in advance
I've only had it for a couple of days. It's definitely a huge improvement & probably will make your system sound "better." However, I would recommend it more if you were going to upgrade the front speakers also.

Even with my problem (not using the calibration cd because my cd player is broken) I was able to hear the difference. Clarity, soundstage.

If you would like your own questions and own answers, please start a new thread. Thanks. Also, there are plenty of great information on diyma regarding the MS-8.

Starting with these:
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ls-ms-8-a.html
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-ms-8-faq.html
Old 03-16-2012   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
blue tape customs
Position:
janitorial technician

Rep Power: 273 AndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond reputeAndyInOC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolassloserp View Post
You're probably right. So basically I'm not taking advantage of its full capabilities right?
If it sounds good to you then the capabilities are being used quite well. But there is that chance of running the calibration disc & it really getting to a point where you absolutely love it. Only way to know for sure is to try.

Team Punk Rock SQ Team Inappropriate
AndyInOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 136 98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough

I know this is old but check the manual for ipod instructions. I believe they recommend loseless if you import it to your itunes but then you can put it right through the aux in for the ms8
98koukile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement