Another "help me pick a sub" thread. $200-ish or less, loud and drops it low. - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013   #1

Rep Power: 80 Johndoe1027 will become famous soon enoughJohndoe1027 will become famous soon enoughJohndoe1027 will become famous soon enoughJohndoe1027 will become famous soon enoughJohndoe1027 will become famous soon enoughJohndoe1027 will become famous soon enough

Smile Another "help me pick a sub" thread. $200-ish or less, loud and drops it low.

Hello all.

My 13 year old RF HE2 10" sub is dying a slow, painful and bad sounding death. It's been a good run and now it's time to up the ante.

I want a 12" this time around. I'll be powering it with my MB Quart 1000D amp. It is 750W @ 2 Ohms and 1000W @ 1 ohm. Was planning on running it 1 ohm (because everyone knows that a larger wattage number = better). Ok so that last part was facetious. Basically I'll do whatever you say as long as you can back it up with good sounding logic. I'll probably build the box for it myself. I'm open to suggestions for that part of the design as well.

I listen to metal but I'm definitely willing to sacrifice some detail for high volume and extended low end response because I also listen to rap. The louder/lower the better for me really. I can make up mid-bass in my doors when I get them redone. Looking forward the plan is for 6.5" subs in the doors and 5.25" Components in the dash in addition to this sub.

So far I'm looking at -

RE Audio SE-Xv2 - Could be persuaded to a SXX but RE doesn't sell me very well on upgrading past the SE-X.

Massive Toro

Fosgate T0D212 (I know, inching past my budget. I'm good at that)

Orion XTRPRO122

PPI PC.12 - Last on the list because I think it's hideous looking. If it sound beastly though I'll get over how it looks.

What do you guys recommend? Any experience with cheap-ish subs that blew you away?
Johndoe1027 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 117 07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Another "help me pick a sub" thread. $200-ish or less, loud and drops it low.

If you go RE get the new/renewed pro s? line subs. The X line subs have a bad rep. It seems to be bad enough that even RE decided to bring back the NON X line subs and is calling them the S? Pros. The specs for them match the book I have from 05.

Pioneer 80prs, Zapco DC 350.2 powering Audible Physics in the kicks/Soon to be DC 350.2 and DC 200.2 powering Morel Hybrid Integra 402, Zapco DC 750.2 powering Morel Elate MW 6 in the doors, Zapco DC 500.1 powering RE Audio SE (original series) 15
07azhhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #3

Rep Power: 82 49konvict will become famous soon enough49konvict will become famous soon enough49konvict will become famous soon enough49konvict will become famous soon enough49konvict will become famous soon enough49konvict will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Another "help me pick a sub" thread. $200-ish or less, loud and drops it low.

look into the obsidian audio 12

i had mine on 1k in 1.5 cubes sealed and it sounded great and dug low
49konvict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013   #4

Rep Power: 80 Johndoe1027 will become famous soon enoughJohndoe1027 will become famous soon enoughJohndoe1027 will become famous soon enoughJohndoe1027 will become famous soon enoughJohndoe1027 will become famous soon enoughJohndoe1027 will become famous soon enough

Great feedback. Thanks guys. I'm going to bump re from the list for now and put the obsidian into consideration along with a sundown sa series. They look good as well.

Since I have 1kW on tap how worried should I be about a 800w speaker vs a 600? Too many other factors for that to really matter, correct?
Old 05-13-2013   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 120 edzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enough

Sundown sa12 is a no brainer, imo.

Sundown Audio SA-12 600 watt sub woofer
edzyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 171 cubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to cubdenno

Not sure of the space available. Could you do two twelves? Would get louder, reduced power compression with the two motors instead of one. double the cone area gives an extra 3 db-ish..

If so, I would choose the Dayton DVC 12
Dayton Audio DVC310-88 12" DVC Series Subwoofer 295-185

104 bucks on sale. will outperform pretty much any low to mid grade car audio branded subwoofer. Do-able ported in a vehicle without too crazy an enclosure. will handle the power from your amp. 15mm of linear excursion. Good efficiency/sensitivity. Low distortion great output. If I remember correctly it is a copy of the shiva. I will have to check on that though. yes they are DVc at 8 ohms per coil so 4 ohms wired parallel single woofer and 2 ohms for 2 of them. That extra 200 watts for a 1 ohm load would be most likely lost to thermal compression with a single woof.

Otherwise, a Sundown SA 12.

It is very easy to conflate cause and effect that are unrelated in audio design. In fact, the entire audiophile industry is based upon this ease of fallacy.

"Heck yeah you can spend more to get the same sound."
cubdenno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 120 edzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enough

Keep hearing good things about those daytons
edzyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #8

I was actually headed over to ask about the Dayton ultimax subs. They look nice but a little pricier. Thanks for weighing in on Dayton guys.

Why'd you have to go and ask about two 12s cub? Such a bad influence. I do have room, 1st gen scion xb but I can't technically afford one plus I play drums and need to remove the box regularly. Without a hand truck lol. One good 12 is enough for me. Until 6 months after I put it in of course.

Anyone heard the ultimax series from Dayton?
Old 05-13-2013   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 Danometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07azhhr View Post
If you go RE get the new/renewed pro s? line subs. The X line subs have a bad rep. It seems to be bad enough that even RE decided to bring back the NON X line subs and is calling them the S? Pros. The specs for them match the book I have from 05.
I respectfully disagree. I have experience with both the 12" and 15" SE/X subs, and they are amazing, despite the common hate they get for being Chinese versions of the once US made SE subs.

The SE/X is a low bass monster and sounds great, all for silly low dollars. Gets my vote.
Danometal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 146 jking29 will become famous soon enoughjking29 will become famous soon enoughjking29 will become famous soon enoughjking29 will become famous soon enoughjking29 will become famous soon enoughjking29 will become famous soon enough

I agree with the recommendation of the Dayton DVC for a economical 12 that will pack a punch. I have a one of the Daytons in my extended cab Chevy truck in a 2.2^ft box tuned @ 33hz on about 400 watts, and it is capable of bouncing the wipers off the windshield. I listen to mostly metal, but listen to a little bit of everything from classic rock to rap and it sounds pretty damn good on everything. I have also had a bunch of different subs in the same box, and it is always my reference sub. In my box, it was louder and sounded better than a Alpine type R, and was even on ouput and close on sound quality to a IDmax. It is a little more bottom heavy than the IDmax and likes being crossed over lower than the ID. For the price I don't think you can do much better.
jking29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 116 sirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura about

I'll throw this one in the ring: used Image Dynamics IDMAX.
sirbOOm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013   #12

Rep Power: 158 mmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enough

Can't beat Dayton HO for the price. Ultimax hasn't been on the market long, i doubt many have had a chance to listen to one yet..... I'm willing to bet they're great drivers.
mmiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013   #13

I was afraid there wouldn't be a lot of feedback on the ultimax yet. I might have to be a Guinea Pig.

Dano, good to hear positive stuff about the new RE drivers. Thanks for chiming in. They look good but I always get the feeling that SonicElectronix edits out the bad reviews. That's why I asked about them here instead of going off of one site's reviews. One guy @ the sundown store preferred his SXX to a Sundown SA but that's just one person, car and box.

So far based on what I'm seeing here I'm leaning toward the Sundown SA and Dayton Ultimax. Thanks so much for helping me hone in my choices guys! Keep it coming.
Old 05-14-2013   #14

After checking out what little Ultimax feedback there is out there I'm definitely siding with the SA12. Then I start watching YT vids of people's cars falling apart with one of these in it. I didn't think I was headed that far with a $200 sub! I don't like bolting/gluing my car back together constantly. Considering a SA10 now

A smaller lighter box is a definite plus (will be removing and putting it back in weekly) but I want the lowest notes of rap songs to be solid. I should probably stick with the 12 and just turn it down a little? I'm not sure I know how...
Old 05-14-2013   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 100 bardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enough

Everything I read on the ultimax suggested they thrive in very large boxes. If you can wait, I'd order an FI Q 12--vented. You can order dual 2ohm or 1ohm vc.
bardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement