Best Amp For A High End System in a Ferrari 458- Audison, JL, Hertz, Mosconi... - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 99 BlackCGT will become famous soon enoughBlackCGT will become famous soon enoughBlackCGT will become famous soon enoughBlackCGT will become famous soon enoughBlackCGT will become famous soon enoughBlackCGT will become famous soon enough

Default Best Amp For A High End System in a Ferrari 458- Audison, JL, Hertz, Mosconi...

Guys,

I am putting a system together for my Ferrari 458.

I am using the following equipment for an active system:
- Audison Bit One
- Morel Elate Limited Edition Carbon mids and MT-24 Tweeters
- JL Audio 13TW5

As space is at a real premium in a 458, I am looking for a great high end small form factor amp.

I was leaning towards the JL Audio HD900/5, but some have said it is not too great and the Audison Voce 5.1 was a better option although a bit larger.

Given the components above what amp would you suggest? What is considered the best all in one amp, in a compact package?

THANKS
BlackCGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 157 Abaddon will become famous soon enoughAbaddon will become famous soon enoughAbaddon will become famous soon enoughAbaddon will become famous soon enoughAbaddon will become famous soon enoughAbaddon will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Best Amp For A High End System in a Ferrari 458- Audison, JL, Hertz, Mosconi...

Will you be listening to the system with the engine OFF? Because if you're listening while the engine is on, any minute details that any amp might provide would be inaudible with that beast roaring. I would almost be inclined to pick the amplifier that looks the best for your installation scheme, since I would assume you'll want to show it off? Since size is also a major factor, the smaller amp again gets the nod.

Audiocontrol Matrix -> Custom MiniDSP 4x8 -> PDX 4.100 (Bridged), 2.150 & 1.600
Seas P18RNX & 27TAFNC/G (7" Poly & Neo Aluminum)
10w6v2 with Mr. Marv Custom Enclosure
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 99 BlackCGT will become famous soon enoughBlackCGT will become famous soon enoughBlackCGT will become famous soon enoughBlackCGT will become famous soon enoughBlackCGT will become famous soon enoughBlackCGT will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Best Amp For A High End System in a Ferrari 458- Audison, JL, Hertz, Mosconi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Will you be listening to the system with the engine OFF? Because if you're listening while the engine is on, any minute details that any amp might provide would be inaudible with that beast roaring. I would almost be inclined to pick the amplifier that looks the best for your installation scheme, since I would assume you'll want to show it off? Since size is also a major factor, the smaller amp again gets the nod.
Some good points and questions.

The music will only be heard with the engine on and the car being driven. I do listen to music loud so unless being pushed hard the engine noise shouldn't be too bad.

Space optimisation is the most important so the system will be stealth and not on display. This is why the form factor of the amp is important as I want as much storage as possible.

Thanks

Old 06-24-2013   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 265 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Anyone that says the JL HD amps aren't top-notch should never be consulted again. The 900/5 would be perfect for your setup.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 110 Diezel10 will become famous soon enoughDiezel10 will become famous soon enoughDiezel10 will become famous soon enoughDiezel10 will become famous soon enoughDiezel10 will become famous soon enoughDiezel10 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Anyone that says the JL HD amps aren't top-notch should never be consulted again. The 900/5 would be perfect for your setup.
Dayaam that was bold son.......J/K .............I was waiting with anticipation on what was going to be recommended....can I PM you?
Diezel10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 120 Wy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enough

Hd900/5
Leviathan iii
Pdx v9

Those are your best options.

2016 VW GTI - Helix Sound Upgrade
Wy2quiet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel10 View Post
Dayaam that was bold son.......J/K .............I was waiting with anticipation on what was going to be recommended....can I PM you?
Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy2quiet View Post
Hd900/5
Leviathan iii
Pdx v9

Those are your best options.
What would be your choice on the short list and which is the smallest?
Are the 3 you listed equal to or comparable to the Audison Voce 5.1?

Thank you for the help
Old 06-24-2013   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 112 Viggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enough

How do pheonix gold's class d amps compare to the amps listed above? Been extremely impressed with my elite amps from pheonix gold.... Which is far from small, compact and light
Viggen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 265 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

I think the Alpine is the smallest but runs WAY hot. The Leviathon is pretty damned big. I'd do the 900/5.

Old 06-24-2013   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 163 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

900/5 HD, and enjoy the Ryde.

Iím selling ALL of my current nib car audio gear.....

(2018) Accord 2.0T Touring (10speed) turbocharged
Coppertone is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 120 Wy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enough

HD900/5 is a good choice, but the Leviathan if you have the space, is the superior amplifier.

100w x 4 @ 4, only 75w x 4 @ 3 and 2 and 500 x 1 @4,3,2 on the HD900/5 coming in at 10.7 x 8.3 x 2 inches

190w x 6 @ 4 ohms, 330w x 6 @ 2 ohms, and bridge power is 660w x 3 @ 4 ohms coming in at 16.1 x 9.7 x 2 inches

Crossovers are superior on the Levi also, and it is cheaper. A whole organization builds the HD's and the Levi's are built by hand each one. Don't think it is close for the money, it strictly comes down to space. I have nothing against JL and it is a terrific amp. The fact it is also 6 channels allows you to run a 3 way front end actively, or a 2 way system bridged with a sub and a tremendous amount of power; and 16" really isn't that big. It will fit under a standard size seat as my amp in my signature is around the same size and fits comfortably.

2016 VW GTI - Helix Sound Upgrade
Wy2quiet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Don't forget to mention the superior build quality of the HDs. Hand-built CAN be a good thing. In this case...not so much.

Old 06-24-2013   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 143 robert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond repute

Ever consider HSS Fidelity:
HT230 amplificatore a valvole 30+30 watt

http://www.hssfidelity.com/public/pr...0-2009Lres.pdf

robert_wrath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_wrath View Post
The size and shape of these amps are too big, but thanks for the idea.
Old 06-25-2013   #15
req
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 194 req is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of light

how much money do you have?

i assume with a Ferrari, equipment cost is not much of your concern. so why morel?

if i were you i guess i would be buying speakers fit for a supercar, not some average components.

just my 2 cents.

req is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by req View Post
how much money do you have?

i assume with a Ferrari, equipment cost is not much of your concern. so why morel?

if i were you i guess i would be buying speakers fit for a supercar, not some average components.

just my 2 cents.
Due to the engine noise, going with more expensive components would be a waste. Also many other more expensive components have very large tweeters that would require serious modification to the car, which I want to avoid. The Morel tweeter is very small and this is why I didn't go with an Esotar system.

What did you have in mind?
Old 06-26-2013   #17
req
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 194 req is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of light

in mind?

you are going with audison, so why not the audison thesis speakers? they are stunning to look at, not to mention they sound phoenominal in an aquaintances BMW X3.

it seems to me like you should be able to put the 6.5" and the 3" speakers in the doors possibly. i dont know what it looks like back there though. if you lived in california, i would suggest taking your car to Bing.

req is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013   #18

Rep Power: 79 audiozone will become famous soon enoughaudiozone will become famous soon enoughaudiozone will become famous soon enoughaudiozone will become famous soon enoughaudiozone will become famous soon enoughaudiozone will become famous soon enough

Hertz HDP5
Phoenix gold Ti21600.5

but I think the HD900/5 is a better option.
audiozone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiozone View Post
Hertz HDP5
Phoenix gold Ti21600.5

but I think the HD900/5 is a better option.
Thanks
Old 06-29-2013   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

A teaser pic of the modified 458 before the install and photoshoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.7 KB, 107 views)
Old 06-29-2013   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 163 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Dang talk about balling without a budget lol.

Iím selling ALL of my current nib car audio gear.....

(2018) Accord 2.0T Touring (10speed) turbocharged
Coppertone is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 373 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

What Amp-rating is your Alternator? The 360 Modena I'm working on is just 80-amps so there's not a huge amount left after the 20-40 amps the car will use with all accessories and lights on. Should be no problem with ~1500w or less though.

Will the amplifier(s) be mounted in the boot or the cockpit?

I like the staggered-output of the Voce 5.1k and it's Hybrid A-B/Class D design. But for size, SQ, and electrical system efficiency I would not hesitate to use the JL HD. However, if there is room to stack two of the JL HD's vertically, I would go with a HD600/4 + HD750/1 depending on your alt. IME Morel's like a lot of power.

Just be sure that the HD750/1 you get is a recent production model...there was a RECALL on these amps for "Potential Risk of FIRE". I would not want anything to be at risk with your vehicle.

Built-in Crossover capabilities are not a concern since you are using the BitOne, but if it were I think the Voce has the advantage for a single-amp solution with its band-pass crossover.
bbfoto is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013   #23

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

Beautiful car.

Even with an unlimited budget I would go with the 900/5. We're obviously in very different tax brackets but my budget for car audio is for all intents unlimited and I just couldn't find anything better than the HD series amps for size, noise floor, efficiency, power, and sound quality (meaning it amplifies the sound with little to no coloring of it's own). Don't worry about what anyone says about a lack of detail. I'm running the Esotars and the tweeters in particular are very revealing and these amps are most certainly not lacking.
BuickGN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

The amp will most likely be in the cockpit as I want to leave the boot untouched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
What Amp-rating is your Alternator? The 360 Modena I'm working on is just 80-amps so there's not a huge amount left after the 20-40 amps the car will use with all accessories and lights on. Should be no problem with ~1500w or less though.

Will the amplifier(s) be mounted in the boot or the cockpit?

I like the staggered-output of the Voce 5.1k and it's Hybrid A-B/Class D design. But for size, SQ, and electrical system efficiency I would not hesitate to use the JL HD. However, if there is room to stack two of the JL HD's vertically, I would go with a HD600/4 + HD750/1 depending on your alt. IME Morel's like a lot of power.

Just be sure that the HD750/1 you get is a recent production model...there was a RECALL on these amps for "Potential Risk of FIRE". I would not want anything to be at risk with your vehicle.

Built-in Crossover capabilities are not a concern since you are using the BitOne, but if it were I think the Voce has the advantage for a single-amp solution with its band-pass crossover.
Old 06-29-2013   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Just get the JL. There's no reason to consider anything else given your parameters.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement