Hybrid Unity 6.5 vs Illusion Electra 6.5 vs Illusion Carbon C5 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2015   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 116 jackp311 will become famous soon enoughjackp311 will become famous soon enoughjackp311 will become famous soon enoughjackp311 will become famous soon enoughjackp311 will become famous soon enoughjackp311 will become famous soon enough

Default Hybrid Unity 6.5 vs Illusion Electra 6.5 vs Illusion Carbon C5

I posted this thread a little while ago but I think the title was all wrong. So, I am redirecting it to where I am at with choices.

My budget is $450 for a set of components for my vehicle. I would like to keep the weight and the parts spend low, as it is a lease. The only item I really have an idea on so far is the amp. I will be powering these with a Kenwood XR400-4. Should have about 150 watts per side available. Or I can go active / bi amp'ed on whatever will work with that setup.

I bought some Hybrid Imagine speakers years ago and loved them. But, the market has changed quite a bit. I felt they were a great value at the $200 I paid back then. The warm sound was great with plenty of detail on vocals like Fiona Apple's Tidal but a great midrange sound I loved. I was able to pick out the faint marimba present on many of her songs. I feel like they may lack a little without a sub, though.

Any thoughts on the above and suggestions on potential components? I believe the factory spot is a 6.5 or 8". Any advice on that arena would be great too.

The one's I am looking at are new Hybrid Unity @ 430 pair (6.5), New Illusion Electra @ 300 pair (6.5) or Used Illusion Carbon 400 pair from here:

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...lusion-c5.html

Thanks!
jackp311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2015   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 116 jackp311 will become famous soon enoughjackp311 will become famous soon enoughjackp311 will become famous soon enoughjackp311 will become famous soon enoughjackp311 will become famous soon enoughjackp311 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Hybrid Unity 6.5 vs Illusion Electra 6.5 vs Illusion Carbon C5

Vehicle is a 2015 Porsche Cayman.
Old 04-15-2015   #3

Rep Power: 0 basher8621 will become famous soon enoughbasher8621 will become famous soon enoughbasher8621 will become famous soon enoughbasher8621 will become famous soon enoughbasher8621 will become famous soon enoughbasher8621 will become famous soon enough

Illusion C5
basher8621 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 280 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

I would be hard for me to go down a size if I didn't have to.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2015   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by basher8621 View Post
Illusion C5
Do you think I will get better low end extension from those above the Hybrid Unity or Electra? Even though they are 5 inch not 6?

Also, a new element entered. Some Clarus C6 demos for 480. Hoping to get that price down into budget.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2015   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 124 DLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to DLO13 Send a message via Skype™ to DLO13

From these choices, I would go with the Illusion c5
However, what size speakers fit in that beauty? Crutchfield isnt up to date.
If you can give us speaker sizes, i think you could do better with raw drivers...
Audible Physics H6MB + a scan tweet would be killer.

I have 6's on my dash
2013 Prius Build Log
DLO13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2015   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

I am not opposed to doing raw drivers. But, I would need some guidance on crossover points and relative gains.

I THINK and I really mean think, that the stock hole will fit an 8". I am not sure nor will I have the car for another week to even try to figure it out.

Yes crutchfield and all other websites don't have this car. Bummer.
Old 04-15-2015   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 124 DLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to DLO13 Send a message via Skype™ to DLO13

I still have the crossovers from my C8 and C4 set that I would sell cheap. You could prob pair them with a lot of rare drivers if you are going to run passives.

I have 6's on my dash
2013 Prius Build Log
DLO13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2015   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

I don't mind doing it either way. I have this idea in my head that midbass'es need more power than tweets. I don't know where it comes from. Just a look at the drivers I guess. So, I feel like 75W for the tweets would be a waste of power and that I should put 125W to the whole system (or 150w depending on how the Kenwood bridges) and let the midbass "use" that power. This is probably a very flawed perception of how the system works.
Old 04-15-2015   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Axxis Audio Pagosa Springs
Position:
Manager/Custom Installer

Rep Power: 247 tr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond repute

I told you the Illusion's are badass..

Check us out on Facebook
www.axxisdurango.com
www.Hybrid-audio.com
Top 100 Installer 2010
tr0y_audi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2015   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

haha - Troy!! What's up! I hate bugging you with everything...

Now with these Clarus ones coming online, I am curious so see what the consensus is.

I wish I could just buy a new set of Carbons. Just out of the budget. Maybe some will pop up that are 6's on classifieds.
Old 04-15-2015   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Then there's the whole raw drivers possibility. I am curious to see what folks have to say about that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement