Adding subwoofers to 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2015   #1

Rep Power: 0 matthewadams will become famous soon enoughmatthewadams will become famous soon enoughmatthewadams will become famous soon enoughmatthewadams will become famous soon enoughmatthewadams will become famous soon enoughmatthewadams will become famous soon enough

Question Adding subwoofers to 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab

Hi all,

I'm adding bass to my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab. I have an old Soundstream Reference 300SX amplifier that Mother's Window Tint said is a high quality unit (pics attached) and could drive 12" subwoofers. What I'm looking for at this point is direction on what kind of subwoofer enclosure and subwoofers to buy.

This is the only reasonable one I've found so far: amazon.com/Bbox-2002-2012-Up-Firing-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B0013N0U9E
According to the reviews & Q&As, it requires "shallow mount" subwoofers.

So, which subs would you recommend that
  • are not overly expensive (I don't need the best system in the world, just something decent)
  • are 12",
  • are suitable for use with the above enclosure,
  • will work with my Soundstream Reference 300SX, and
  • have a shallow mount.

Also, given my amp, what are the technical specs (single voice coil, wattage, etc) of the subwoofers I should buy, and how should I hook up the subs to the amp (series/parallel, etc). Mother's Window Tint recommended dual Kicker 40CWS124 CompS Series 12" 4-ohm subwoofer (see crutchfield.com/S-zxCwXXBQn9K/p_2064CWS124/Kicker-40CWS124.html)

My head unit, a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X397 that already has another amp driving my Boston Acoustics 6x9s fine, has separate RCA plugs out for the subwoofer, and I've already run all necessary wires (signal, power, & ground) to the back of the truck cab.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-matthew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7757.jpg (62.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3982.jpg (81.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9776.jpg (104.3 KB, 9 views)
matthewadams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2015   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 85 acid_burn will become famous soon enoughacid_burn will become famous soon enoughacid_burn will become famous soon enoughacid_burn will become famous soon enoughacid_burn will become famous soon enoughacid_burn will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Adding subwoofers to 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab

help me help you:

-find out exactly how much room you have to put the amp and sub enclosure.
-determine a budget

that amp will power whatever you hook up to it, if it works. if you want to buy a sub and enclosure together, there are probably only a few options out there that will fit your application.
acid_burn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 107 seafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura about

I have a JL stealth box that fits under the passenger side rear seat of your truck loaded with a JL10w3v3. I realize that you said you are looking for a 12" and this is only 10" but it DOES rock, totally stealth under the seat, a NICE quality unit. I am selling because I am upgrading to an SI BMmkIV. PM me if interested.
seafish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015   #4

Rep Power: 0 matthewadams will become famous soon enoughmatthewadams will become famous soon enoughmatthewadams will become famous soon enoughmatthewadams will become famous soon enoughmatthewadams will become famous soon enoughmatthewadams will become famous soon enough

Thanks @acid_burn & @seafish.

After discussing with a rep at Crutchfield.com, I settled on MTX TN12-04 subs (see crutchfield.com/p_236TN1204/MTX-TN12-04.html) and a QBomb enclosure (see amazon.com/gp/product/B00IN8IR8S).

I've found crutchfield.com to be a pretty good buying experience. Their prices are usually competitive with Amazon Prime & Google Shopping, and their advisors speak actual English and seem knowledgeable, AFAICT.

We'll see how it goes once I get everything and install. I'll try to remember to post pictures back.

FYI, total price out the door was $119.98 (subs) + $109.95 (enclosure) = $229.93.
matthewadams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement