1964 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL CONVERTIBLE MODERN AUDIO HELP - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2016   #1

Rep Power: 0 64 Lincoln will become famous soon enough64 Lincoln will become famous soon enough64 Lincoln will become famous soon enough64 Lincoln will become famous soon enough64 Lincoln will become famous soon enough64 Lincoln will become famous soon enough

Default 1964 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL CONVERTIBLE MODERN AUDIO HELP

I need your advice please, I went to the audio store and got a list of stuff to install on my '64 convertible, the deadline for this car is April 24 I need it done by then! I got a good deal on everything (did not buy it yet) I want to get aproval from you guys and the installer first, what do you guys think about these parts? I also have some questions, particularly about the original speakers that go in the dash and between the rear seat headrests... PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK, could really use the advice, thank you!

PIONEER MVH-560BT --- (HEAD UNIT) --- $87.00

JL 3004V3 --- 4-CHANNEL FULL RANGE AMPLIFIER --- $369.00

JL 6001V3 --- 600W MONOBLOCK SUBWOOFER AMPLIFIER --- $389.00

JL 10W6V3 --- (10” SUBWOOFER) --- $319.00

INFKAPPA609CS --- INFINITY 160MM 2 WAY KAPPA COMPONENT --- $119.00 (GOING IN KICK PANELS)

INFKAPPA4629CF --- INFINITY KAPPA 4X6 2 WAY 180W --- $65.00 (GOING UNDER REAR SEAT WHERE ONE’S HEELS WOULD BE IF SITTING DOWN)

METV12-0RAK --- 1/0 GA AMP KIT --- $125.00

ALSO NEED TO BUY A SET OF 6X9 OR 5X7 TO REPLACE THE ORIGINAL SPEAKERS, ONE IN THE DASH (6X9 ORIGINALLY) AND ONE BETWEEN THE REAR SEAT HEADRESTS, (5X7 ORIGINALLY) MY QUESTION ON THOSE IS, SINCE I HAVE TO BUY A SET AND CAN NOT BUY ONE 6X9 AND ONE 5X7, SHOULD I BUY A PAIR OF 6X9s AND TRY TO MAKE THE 6X9 FIT IN THE BACK WHERE IT WAS MADE FOR 5X7? OR SHOULD I JUST BUY A SET OF 5X7s SO THE BACK ONE FITS PERFECTLY AND THE FRONT DASH SPEAKER CAN BE RETROFITTED SINCE IT’S A 6X9 SPACE SO THE 5X7 SHOULD FIT WITH A CUSTOM BRACKET…

also, will 4x6 fit under the rear seat where ones heels would be? I know theres not much height room there...

I APPRECIATE THE HELP, FIRST TIME INSTALLING A SYSTEM, NOT DOING IT MYSELF, BUT NEED TO KNOW WHAT TO BUY, THANKYOU VERY MUCH... car is coming along nicely, had some minor imperfections in the paint, went into spray booth again, disc brake conversion is basically almost done... dynamat sound deadener is being layed down and the interior is being sewn/stitches as we speak!

20160331_182835.jpg
64 Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 162 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: 1964 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL CONVERTIBLE MODERN AUDIO HELP

I would not bother trying to put the 4x6 speakers low down in the back seat as you plan to do. reason? your gonna be cutting metal there to do it, and they wont help enough with the sound to warrant cutting the car.

a pair of 5x7s for the front and back locations makes a lot more sense to me, no need to cut more metal than you have to especially in the rear parcel shelf.

you wont have true left/right stereo with the speakers like this, but that's not really the point here. have the dash speaker play the left signals and the rear middle speaker play the right signals, and turn them down lower than the kick panel speakers.

1 10 really is quite small for this big ol car, unless you have the space to go ported, I'd consider stepping up to the 12 or even the 13.5 if budget and space will allow.

the amp selection is fine, good solid performers, just keep em cool and they should run for a long time.

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Lycancatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2016   #3

Rep Power: 62 muzikmanwi will become famous soon enoughmuzikmanwi will become famous soon enoughmuzikmanwi will become famous soon enoughmuzikmanwi will become famous soon enoughmuzikmanwi will become famous soon enoughmuzikmanwi will become famous soon enough

Agree with the 5x7s but I'd run them in mono and leave them turned down lower then the kick panels.
muzikmanwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 78 unix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enough

Solid list - but no processing? I would seriously suggest some form of DSP between the radio and the amplifiers ... Great car! Please come back and post more build pics along the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current build (almost completed) -> 2017 Mustang GT PP, Zapco DC series amps & DSP, all active - dual 18" Fi IB3 Subwoofers in IB.

Version 2: Zapco LX 6 A/B for mains, Zapco Z3K D for 12" Sundown Z12 in IB, miniDSP C68 integrated with custom micro to OEM processing and controls...
unix_usr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2016   #5

Rep Power: 0 64 Lincoln will become famous soon enough64 Lincoln will become famous soon enough64 Lincoln will become famous soon enough64 Lincoln will become famous soon enough64 Lincoln will become famous soon enough64 Lincoln will become famous soon enough

20160402_141152-1.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

I have here 2 quotes/estimates... one of them is from an audio parts wharehouse who gave me great prices on JL & Infinity products, he recomended after I told him how I wanted my car to sound.. about $1,500 for the parts only..... I spoke with 2 installers, one local guy with a good reputation asked for 1,500 for labor and to make custom boxes,etc... another guy asked only 850 although I trust the first guy more

the 2nd quote is from a local audio shop, he quoted about $1,500 for parts AND labor, this guy has his own shop with a good reputation, but Im afraid that the reason his estimate is so low is because he is using lower quality, lower end products, and I dont want to be dissapointed with the final outcome... I want amazing sound...

which products are high end better quality and will give me the best sound?

Also, the reason I'm even considering doing the rear seat bottom speakrs is because I dont want to modify the beautiful door panels and also I was told theres not enough space in the doors since the window rolls down all the way, so I want good sound without the door panel speakers, so 2 kick panel speakers, 2 under the seat, and the 2 original speakers replaced (the one in the dash and the one that goes between the reart seat headrests)

Im open to ideas, suggestions
Old 04-08-2016   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 78 unix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enough

I always air on the side of putting more money into the installation (especially if it requires any custom fabrication) than I do in the equipment... great top notch equipment, poorly installed/configured can sound awful. On the other hand, I've seen mediocre / budget equipment installed, configured, and tuned properly sound absolutely top-notch. It's really a balancing game, but I cannot vote high enough for a quality install either way. My $0.02 - go with the installer/shop you trust, the one who answers your questions best.

Subscribed to this thread, love the old Lincoln - please come back and post LOTS more pictures...

Current build (almost completed) -> 2017 Mustang GT PP, Zapco DC series amps & DSP, all active - dual 18" Fi IB3 Subwoofers in IB.

Version 2: Zapco LX 6 A/B for mains, Zapco Z3K D for 12" Sundown Z12 in IB, miniDSP C68 integrated with custom micro to OEM processing and controls...
Old 04-10-2016   #7

Here is a pre-restoration photo... will upload more soon when its done

4.jpg
Old 04-20-2016   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

Any updates/progress?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement