1 sub or 2 ??? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2016   #1

Rep Power: 58 Emoneymose will become famous soon enoughEmoneymose will become famous soon enoughEmoneymose will become famous soon enoughEmoneymose will become famous soon enoughEmoneymose will become famous soon enoughEmoneymose will become famous soon enough

Default 1 sub or 2 ???

So I'm new to audio somewhat but have done lots of product research so I think! My question is this. If I have 1000-1200 w at 1 ohm from sub amp and want clean loud bass, am I better off going w 2 500 Rms subs like 12w3's which I have sealed already or something that handles 1000 like an idmax12? I've made many trades and deals and have the w3's and also a SQ hdc310 ported. I like the different sounds each box gives me but I'm not 100% sold on either setup. The hdc digs deep and sounds great on rap but I listen to everything. And overall I think I like the Jl's for the variety of music. I don't want to give up my entire trunk so 2 ported is out of the question. I have a guy willing to sell me 2 12w6 but they're v2 for 375$. I had a single v3 10 and loved it so my next upgrade may be to sell current setups and get 2 new 12w6v3 and run them sealed. Thoughts or opinions? I've quickly become addicted and seem to think ill never be satisfied unfortunately. Another option over the single or dual sealed 12 would be a single ported 12.
Emoneymose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2016   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 91 autokraftgt will become famous soon enoughautokraftgt will become famous soon enoughautokraftgt will become famous soon enoughautokraftgt will become famous soon enoughautokraftgt will become famous soon enoughautokraftgt will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 1 sub or 2 ???

A friend of mine has a single IDMAX 12 in a sealed box in his civic. That sub does it all. It's musical, digs very low, has great output. Win Win. However, the IDMAX 15 takes it to the next level. If I was in the market for a single sub that does it all very well...I'd most likely go towards the IDMAX 15. All the great reviews for that sub would give me piece of mind as a buyer.
autokraftgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2016   #3

Rep Power: 58 Emoneymose will become famous soon enoughEmoneymose will become famous soon enoughEmoneymose will become famous soon enoughEmoneymose will become famous soon enoughEmoneymose will become famous soon enoughEmoneymose will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by autokraftgt View Post
A friend of mine has a single IDMAX 12 in a sealed box in his civic. That sub does it all. It's musical, digs very low, has great output. Win Win. However, the IDMAX 15 takes it to the next level. If I was in the market for a single sub that does it all very well...I'd most likely go towards the IDMAX 15. All the great reviews for that sub would give me piece of mind as a buyer.
Hmm - I did not consider a 15 - I have never \had larger than a 12. One 15 though might be exactly what I need - I typically put my box against back seat rear firing - my concern is rear deck cuts into height - I thhink I have maybe 18 inches or so to use. I see all these videos with upfiring subs - is that an option or only with ported? one 15 is cheaper than 2w6 for sure!!

Old 04-20-2016   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 144 What? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enough

I would expect to have issues with the foam surrounds on any W6v2 woofers at this point.
What? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2016   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by What? View Post
I would expect to have issues with the foam surrounds on any W6v2 woofers at this point.
Yah I agree - I had told him I would rather shell out money for new v3 at this point
Old 04-20-2016   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Custom User Title

Rep Power: 128 Majik will become famous soon enoughMajik will become famous soon enoughMajik will become famous soon enoughMajik will become famous soon enoughMajik will become famous soon enoughMajik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by autokraftgt View Post
Agree on all counts. The IDMAX sounds great in all sizes, but the IDMAX 15 takes the cake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoneymose View Post
One 15 though might be exactly what I need - I typically put my box against back seat rear firing - my concern is rear deck cuts into height - I thhink I have maybe 18 inches or so to use.
18" is plenty of height for an IDMAX 15, as the overall diameter is 16.25". Even if you don't have the clearance, you can angle the baffle to reduce the total enclosure height.
Majik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2016   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik View Post
Agree on all counts. The IDMAX sounds great in all sizes, but the IDMAX 15 takes the cake!

18" is plenty of height for an IDMAX 15, as the overall diameter is 16.25". Even if you don't have the clearance, you can angle the baffle to reduce the total enclosure height.
Great! I had 2 idq12 and fried them. Bad gain setting. But I heard how nice they can sound. I bet the idmax is even better. Especially a 15. Any other 15's that would run well sealed? I'm guessing I can give up to 3.0 ft maybe more. I'm thinking I may sell the soundqubed and try the 15. Keeping the w3s as plan b. I really do enjoy them!!
Old 04-20-2016   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 373 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Acoustic Elegance has a few 15's worth looking into.
gijoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement