3 way. 100$ 200$ 300$ - Page 4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019   #76

Rep Power: 74 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 3 way. 100$ 200$ 300$

I think these look very promising and for only $42 too. https://www.parts-express.com/faital...-ohm--294-1150

I own the SB Acoustics SB29RDCN-C000-4 Neo Magnet ring Dome Tweeter in my van and can compare it to my AudioFrog GB15 in my CX5 and GB10 in my F150 and in my option this SB29 tweeter is the best $60 I have ever heard.

I used these in my CX5 as full range tweeterless and they were very good for midrange. I think these would do well as a dedicated midrange.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019   #77
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 355 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aabel View Post
I'm getting ready to put a system in my work truck, and this thread has been really helpful.

I'm stuck in between getting the PPI 3 way setup, or some raw drivers that members have mentioned in the thread.

I don't have all the gear to go active now, so if I get the raw drivers who makes a decent budget 3 way passive crossover? The only thing I can find is an Audiopipe set on Amazon. Looking for something already assembled, I don't have the time to make my own crossovers.

(FYI, amp will be a 90's USA made ZED 50x4 that I'll bridge to 100x2 along with an old Sony XEC1000 crossover - Vehicle is a 2018 F-150 that I'll buy speaker pods for the mid/tweet and use the factory location for the woofer)

Note about the classified - nobody says what they're selling, they just list a model # that I dont know what it is LOL.
At the $300 price point with passive crossovers, your options are going to be very limited for a 3-way set. The PPI set you mentioned is about it for 6.5"-7" sets. As you stretch your budget up to about $400-500, you'll find the Morel Maximo Ultra 603, Sony XS-GS1631C and Focal 165AS3. Additionally, there are the Infinity Kappa and JBL GTO sets with add on dome midrange that will put you around the same $400-500 price point.

Fortunately for you, the F150 should accommodate a 6x9 midbass. This opens you up to using the Infinty and JBL 6x9 component sets with the added dome midrange. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of 6x9 3-way passive component sets. Kenwood has some new low cost options for Chevy/Chrysler/Dodge/Toyota that pair a 6x9 with a 2.5" wideband or 3.5" coax. However, it really isn't designed to work with the F150.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019   #78

Rep Power: 24 04quadcab will become famous soon enough04quadcab will become famous soon enough04quadcab will become famous soon enough04quadcab will become famous soon enough04quadcab will become famous soon enough04quadcab will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I don't have all the gear to go active now, so if I get the raw drivers who makes a decent budget 3 way passive crossover?
Just make your own with stuff from parts express.

This one may work for the tweeters: https://www.parts-express.com/5-khz-...sover--266-472

Current System: Alpine CDE-147bt; Polk db 6.5; Polk DXi 10" subs,Alpine MRP-M500, Rockford Prime 4-channel
04quadcab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019   #79
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 16 tenx82 will become famous soon enoughtenx82 will become famous soon enoughtenx82 will become famous soon enoughtenx82 will become famous soon enoughtenx82 will become famous soon enoughtenx82 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm getting ready to put a system in my work truck, and this thread has been really helpful.

I'm stuck in between getting the PPI 3 way setup, or some raw drivers that members have mentioned in the thread.

I don't have all the gear to go active now, so if I get the raw drivers who makes a decent budget 3 way passive crossover? The only thing I can find is an Audiopipe set on Amazon. Looking for something already assembled, I don't have the time to make my own crossovers.

(FYI, amp will be a 90's USA made ZED 50x4 that I'll bridge to 100x2 along with an old Sony XEC1000 crossover - Vehicle is a 2018 F-150 that I'll buy speaker pods for the mid/tweet and use the factory location for the woofer)

Note about the classified - nobody says what they're selling, they just list a model # that I dont know what it is LOL.
That Sony crossover is designed for 2-way plus sub setups. It jumps from 180Hz to 2.4kHz; so no viable options for midbass to midrange crossover points.

Sonic has the Sony 3-way set for $320 open box.
tenx82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019   #80
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 189 Bayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
I whole heartily disagree with you about the Silver Flute 8”. I have them in my doors and for a while downgraded to the JL ZR 800’s because my doors couldn’t take much more abuse at the time. The Silver Flutes will play down to the 30 Hz range and I can turn off my sub playing rock music without missing the sub. I eventually upped the sound deadening and went back to the Silver Flutes and never looked back.

Here’s feedback from someone who’s heard the Silver Flute 8” in my RAV4.
"...downgraded to the JL ZR 800's".

Yeah will have to agree to disagree. Had many trials with loose suspension low Q drivers; even some that modeled well in a large door on paper. For Rock music, perhaps, as one set of 8's had plenty, but any other genre was horrible. Went another direction and will never look back.

To each their own.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019   #81
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 949 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

If you're trying to do an inexpensive 3-way, I would do a 4ch amp and use the built-in crossover for the midbass / midrange point. There's no sense in having all the expense of making a crossover worth a damn when you can just handle it actively. The mid/tweet crossover point can then be a very simple DIY project with 4 items...two poly capacitors and two small air core inductors. The cost of these items is trivial compared with the monster parts required of a midbass crossover.

Making your own crossovers isn't too hard, especially if you pick drivers that are of similar efficiency and if you pick a crossover point that doesn't require major re-work like a notch filter or something. You can just go with a higher point that the midrange and tweet are definitely OK with, like 5000hz or so. I did exactly this back in 2014 or so, with 3 passive crossovers controlling the top end of a surround system (with 2-way center and 3-way front), and it worked beautifully. I got project boxes with breadboard, and went to town. It took a few hours but when I was done, I had a pretty sweet set of crossovers! I can grab some pics if you like the idea. Expense for all the crossover stuff I think was in the $60 range for 3 of them. But running the active crossover to the midbass was one of the secrets of success. It makes things so much easier. In my case I used DSP and because my mid-tweet were close together, bundling them together on the same DSP channel also kept my time alignment.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's
2018 WRX, Helix V Eight and G-One, AD W600, AP AR3 & AR20, AE AV10H-D2
fourthmeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement