Keep the OE SYNC unit in Ford (1st gen Fusion, 2nd gen Escape) or go aftermarket? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2016   #1

Rep Power: 39 Lukaa will become famous soon enoughLukaa will become famous soon enoughLukaa will become famous soon enoughLukaa will become famous soon enoughLukaa will become famous soon enoughLukaa will become famous soon enough

Default Keep the OE SYNC unit in Ford (1st gen Fusion, 2nd gen Escape) or go aftermarket?

I'm trying to decide what to use as my source unit.

I drive a '11 Fusion SE with the basic 6-speaker SYNC audio system.

1)The audio quality isn't good. At low volume it is ok, but it almost sounds like the bass is exaggerated and starts falling off as you increase the volume. Is this a built in factory EQ correction?

One thing that bothers me, at higher/mid volumes, during deep bass notes, I notice the vocals sound scattered and slightly echoed. You have to listen carefully, so only people like us may notice this. This is noticed on bluetooth audio streaming, USB, and CD sources. I'm wondering if it is the radio unit, or maybe the speakers. When I faded the audio to the rear this issue goes away, but the rear speakers do not have as much bass extension so maybe it is not easily heard.

2) Center Integrated Display
This is the text display unit, just above the audio controls. 1st generation Fusion face-lift models, and 2nd gen. Escape use this.

I can install an DDIN aftermarket radio, but I'm wondering what text will be displayed in the CID? If I use the idatalink maestro harness, will the compass and time still function?

Do the integration harnesses (idatalink maestro, PAC, etc...) write anything to the CID?

3) Retaining SYNC
I know if I use a Kenwood unit, with idatalink, I can retain SYNC. Problems are, the Bluetooth quality will not be as good as utilizing the stand alone Bluetooth. The SYNC features are placed inside an OE submenu on the receiver, so it will not feel "integrated" rather simply tacked on.

So... basically I don't care much for keeping SYNC. However, I would like to retain CID compass and time text display. I'm hoping the harnesses do not write anything to the CID (for example: "DVD" or "SYNC"). If it writes USB meta data then that is fine, but I doubt it.
Lukaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2016   #2

Rep Power: 39 Lukaa will become famous soon enoughLukaa will become famous soon enoughLukaa will become famous soon enoughLukaa will become famous soon enoughLukaa will become famous soon enoughLukaa will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Keep the OE SYNC unit in Ford (1st gen Fusion, 2nd gen Escape) or go aftermarket?

ok, after reading some other similar Ford threads I think I realize that I may not get any replies.

However, I'm thinking about trying the OE unit with the Bit Ten processor.
Old 08-20-2016   #3

Rep Power: 42 DDFusionV2 is on a distinguished roadDDFusionV2 is on a distinguished roadDDFusionV2 is on a distinguished roadDDFusionV2 is on a distinguished roadDDFusionV2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Keep the OE SYNC unit in Ford (1st gen Fusion, 2nd gen Escape) or go aftermarket?

That will work but you will need to use the BITs remote for volume control.
DDFusionV2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016   #4

The Audison DRC controller is big and I'm not sure where I could put it.

I'm interested in the new JL processors, but I would need to buy two units and they are pricey.

On that note, I'm still concerned about the front speaker issue. I don't know if the speakers are damaged, or if it is the radio unit. I'm thinking for the time being I will just put some cheap passive component set and see how it sounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement