What to upgrade first: 2011 F-150 with Sony system - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2017   #1

Rep Power: 0 jayholden will become famous soon enoughjayholden will become famous soon enoughjayholden will become famous soon enoughjayholden will become famous soon enoughjayholden will become famous soon enoughjayholden will become famous soon enough

Default What to upgrade first: 2011 F-150 with Sony system

Hey everyone,

I just got a 2011 F-150 SuperCrew with the optional Sony "upgrade." Despite the claimed 700w, max volume is anemic and there's very little bass. I'm trying to figure out what order to replace things in and was hoping there were some folks here who could give me advice for this specific system. Crutchfield wasn't much help; they just told me to replace everything all at once.

Problems I have, in order:
1) Overall volume is poor
2) There's distortion when volume is over 60-70%
3) Bass is weak

I'm not audiophile-level particular and I would like to space out the upgrade over a few months for budget reasons. I'd prefer to DIY if possible; I've replaced speakers and head units but haven't run my own wires.

If I replaced the head unit or amp, would it significantly enhance performance of the existing Sony speakers? Or should I replace the speakers first?

Basically, what's the weakest link in my particular setup? I'd appreciate product-specific recommendations if you have them, especially when it comes to the head unit which needs to keep all the features of the stock unit.

Thank you!!
jayholden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 42 lincoln88 will become famous soon enoughlincoln88 will become famous soon enoughlincoln88 will become famous soon enoughlincoln88 will become famous soon enoughlincoln88 will become famous soon enoughlincoln88 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: What to upgrade first: 2011 F-150 with Sony system

Since it sounds like you want to keep the stock integration, I would tap into the head unit's line-out if it has one. I'd spend most my money on a good set of new, or used separates from the classifieds. Buy a 4 channel amp in case you ever want to go active or run a sub. Forget the rear fill speakers. You won't miss them.

After a while with new speakers and an amp it should become clear if you need a sub, or DSP.

Some people can stop at that. ( :

The amp in your head unit (or external?) and speakers are both weak links. I'm sure someone will chime in here that know these trucks, but you should be able to get a clean signal from it. Do some searching.
lincoln88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2017   #3

Rep Power: 49 LostnEye will become famous soon enoughLostnEye will become famous soon enoughLostnEye will become famous soon enoughLostnEye will become famous soon enoughLostnEye will become famous soon enoughLostnEye will become famous soon enough

The Sony system should have external amps. I believe under the center console and another for the sub? Not sure about that year, some have fixed volume to the amp and a CAN signal to adjust volume inside the amp so you may not be able to just tap low level signal.
The Sony speakers are nothing special. Many Ford guys say they have good results swapping them out. I would start there.
LostnEye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 145 What? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enough

If you're happy with your factory radio and its functions then:
JL Audio FiX82 or FiX86 (if you want fade)
5 channel amplifier with sub knob
Sub enclosure under rear seat (I like the JL Audio 10TW3 or 12TW3)
5x7 component front
5x7 coax rear
Adding bass ONLY does not require that you replace everything at the same time but if you want more power and better mids/highs, you should replace everything.

If you're not happy with the stock radio, you can replace it and delete the JL Audio FiX from the above list. Alpine makes a nice 9" screen for some 2011 F150 dash configurations and there are many 2DIN options available.

Last edited by What?; 07-14-2017 at 04:44 PM..
What? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2017   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 138 Angrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enough

Imo since you have the upgraded Sony it's one of those "overhaul all at once" scenarios but if you must do it in stages I'd probably start with the subwoofer/box/mono amp and go from there. Basically do bass first then mids/highs/dsp next.
Angrywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2017   #6

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,823 Times in 1,270 Posts
Rep Power: 457 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Sony system in a truck... Dont waste your time doing it in stages. Do it all at once

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement