Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2018   #1
 
Newbie
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: MS
Posts: 7

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0 Stretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

I have a 2013 Audi RS5, and have some leftover equipment from my previous car (2011 A5) that I want to integrate into a totally new system for the RS5.

If you've any experience with B8 Audi's, you'll know the limitations of speaker placement and depth. As it stands stock, the car has very shallow 8" door speakers, 1" tweeters in the A pillar, and very shallow 3" windshield-firing mids. These are all B&O speakers as well.

I already have a sub, box, and amp (Sundown SA-12 in a tuned and ported box with a Sundown SAE-1500D amp). I plan to get a Mobridge MOST DA2 and a Helix DSP to dial all this in.

Critically, I already have an Arc Audio KS-300.4 that I need to utilize in some fashion for the front stage. I do not have any speakers purchased yet. My goal is great sound quality, the ability to play loud and clear across all frequencies, with a stealth installation. This means no custom A-pillars or anything like that. Everything will be professionally installed, no rear fill, no center channel; new speakers only.

Should I take the safe route and just go with, say, Audiofrog GS60 and GS10s with the GS610C crossover? This is a passive 2 way with quality equipment I know was all designed to sound great together. Simple and easy.

Ideally, I would like to utilize the front 3.0" speakers in a 3-way system. I have a little experience with tuning and look forward to doing that part of it with the Helix DSP. How can I go 3-way active with
1. Something that fits in the stock dash locations (Audison Voce 3.0? Audiofrog GB25?)
2. A 6.5 that fits in the shallow door location (Audiofrog GS60? My first choice from what I've read would be the Stereo Integrity TM65 MKIII) I love midbass. The doors will be fully treated with deadening etc.
3. A smooth textile 1" tweeter (Audiofrog GS10? Audiofrog GB10? I've read that the ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6020-00 is amazing). I hate harsh tweeters.

Keeping in mind we need to use the Arc Audio KS-300.4 in some kind of way. The options here are 90x4 @ 4ohms, 350x2 @ 4ohms bridged, and 175x4 @ 2 ohms. I'd like to stay under $1,500 for all the new speakers, crossovers, and amplifiers if they're required. I'd really prefer to go 3-way, but I'm open to suggestions and flexible! The Helix DSP and Mobridge DA2 aren't part of the sub-$1,500 figure btw, so don't count those.

Bonus points if you're familiar with the platform aka jimmydee, I'd LOVE to get your thoughts on this one!

Pic for reference
Stretch_RS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-30-2018   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!
 
Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,675

Thanks: 213
Thanked 253 Times in 239 Posts
Rep Power: 55 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (1)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Or could you do your DSP install first and see then how the speakers sound before replacing them?
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2018   #3
 
OneGun's Avatar
 
Member
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 389


Thanks: 51
Thanked 71 Times in 59 Posts
Rep Power: 20 OneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (1)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
Or could you do your DSP install first and see then how the speakers sound before replacing them?

This sure seems like a good idea. And if those B&O drivers are anywhere near as good as the Dynaudio systems I've heard in some of the older VW's, that could be a done deal.
OneGun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2018   #4
 
Newbie
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: MS
Posts: 7

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0 Stretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
Or could you do your DSP install first and see then how the speakers sound before replacing them?
Good idea, and the factory speakers aren't that bad acutally, but there is definite room for improvement from the mid range down. Your idea would be feasible, but the factory subwoofer is awful, and the factory speakers would not be able to keep up with the Sundown 12" and amp, which leads us to this.

All of that aside, I would LOVE for the solution to be a quick and easy DSP because I could spend that money elsewhere on the car. Alas, that doesn't solve the problem as anyone who has listened to or owns a B8 Audi with the B&O stereo can attest to. Multiple Audi forums corroborate this.

FWIW I've read that the drivers and amp are not manufactured by Bang & Olufsen, but the system is "tuned" by them, thus allowing them to call it a Bang & Olufsen system. If this were an A8 with the big B&O system with the motorized tweeters in the dash, I'd agree with you and say a DSP alone is the way to go.
Stretch_RS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2018   #5
DIYMA 500 Club
 
Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Aurora, Co
Age: 36
Posts: 6,489

Thanks: 0
Thanked 451 Times in 382 Posts
Rep Power: 370 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute


iTrader: (7)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch_RS5 View Post
Good idea, and the factory speakers aren't that bad acutally, but there is definite room for improvement from the mid range down. Your idea would be feasible, but the factory subwoofer is awful, and the factory speakers would not be able to keep up with the Sundown 12" and amp, which leads us to this.

All of that aside, I would LOVE for the solution to be a quick and easy DSP because I could spend that money elsewhere on the car. Alas, that doesn't solve the problem as anyone who has listened to or owns a B8 Audi with the B&O stereo can attest to. Multiple Audi forums corroborate this.

FWIW I've read that the drivers and amp are not manufactured by Bang & Olufsen, but the system is "tuned" by them, thus allowing them to call it a Bang & Olufsen system. If this were an A8 with the big B&O system with the motorized tweeters in the dash, I'd agree with you and say a DSP alone is the way to go.
If you want quick and easy, active 3-way won't fit the bill. Tuning an active 2-way setup can be tough, and time consuming enough, active 3-way complicates that significantly more. A DSP is an incredibly powerful tool, arguably the most important piece to a great sounding car, but the tool is only as good as the person using it, so you'll either have to spend a lot of time tuning, or you'll have to pay someone who is competent to do it for you.

If the problem is primarily the lower end, I think you can get away with upgrading the sub, and maybe adding a simple EQ. If you gut the system, and start from scratch with a DSP, I suspect it will take a decent amount of time/money to get you to where the system sounds better than it does now.
gijoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2018   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!
 
Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,675

Thanks: 213
Thanked 253 Times in 239 Posts
Rep Power: 55 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (1)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Well we already know that the factory speaker fit the factory location, and that they are able to be wired up.
So getting some evidence as to whether they sound good or bad before changing them makes senseto me.
(Just sayin)
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2018   #7
 
OneGun's Avatar
 
Member
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 389


Thanks: 51
Thanked 71 Times in 59 Posts
Rep Power: 20 OneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (1)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
Well we already know that the factory speaker fit the factory location, and that they are able to be wired up.
So getting some evidence as to whether they sound good or bad before changing them makes senseto me.
(Just sayin)

Agreed. I have no experience in Audi's but have put many miles in VW's with the Fender audio systems, completely stock (used to lease VW's). IMO, those are pretty damn good systems for a non-luxury volume brand and I've had the drivers out and the look/feel pretty stout. I'm pretty sure if one were to DSP/aftermarket amp them, they'd squeeze even better SQ out of that system.

That being said, I'd be very interested, if I were you, to first do everything but replace the factory drivers.

If you think they can't keep up with your sub/amp, why not amp the front speakers too?

Then if you get to that point, then cross the finish line and replace the drivers.
OneGun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2018   #8
DIYMA 500 Club
 
Enthusiast
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Posts: 3,015

Thanks: 56
Thanked 31 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 180 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (19)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

What do you not like about the B&O system? I listened to a '14 Q5, all stock with the sub/sub amp upgraded to an Si BMmk4 & Zapco ST850. I thought it sounded wonderful!

From what I remember, the speaker locations looked identical or very similar to yours.

'17 Hyundai Sonata SE : Alpine PXE-0850S - Alpine PDX-V9 - Illusion C3CX - Audiofrog GS60 - Kicker SoloClassic15 (x2, IB)
fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2018   #9
 
Newbie
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: MS
Posts: 7

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0 Stretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Thanks for the input guys.

I should have been clearer about tuning the DSP and what I meant by quick and easy. I have basic experience with a DSP and REW. I'm looking forward to learning the ins and outs the DSP and I love tinkering/tuning so that's no problem. I have a few decent shops where I live that have some really stellar guys that can always help if needed.

Based on the experiences of others with this stereo and my own ears (coming from a car with 2 way passive Hybrid Audio Technology speakers that were driven by the aforementioned Arc 300.4), the front stage as it is is not what I want. It's not bad, but it's loud enough, there is distortion at volumes that I would consider to be not that loud, and it simply is not as clear as I would like.

That being said, let me phrase my question this way: How much of an appreciable difference in SQ is there between a 2-way passive Audiofrog GS 6" and 1" setup, and a 3-way active anything setup with 6", 3", and 1" drivers?

I'd really like to go 3-way active not only for my personal listening, but as an exercise in learning as well.
Stretch_RS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2018   #10
 
jimmydee's Avatar
 
Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Calgary
Posts: 972

Thanks: 21
Thanked 162 Times in 126 Posts
Rep Power: 78 jimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (3)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Having owned a 2012 S4, and then a 2015 SQ5 (both with B&O systems), here's what I'd recommend:

If you're getting a DSP, then go full active... at least on your front stage. You won't regret it.

There are a number of good processors out there. My preference is the Helix DSP-Pro, but I wouldn't discount a number of other brands (including the new Dayton one).

I would also strongly recommend getting the mObridge DA3. It already has an 8 channel DSP built in. Obviously, it isn't packed full of features, like a Helix DSP, but it has everything you'd need to tune a nice sounding system (it's what I used in my S4). Even if you get a separate DSP, it can be used as the interface only, between the MMI and the separate DSP. Plus, if you go crazy and run out of DSP channels (like I did in my current BMW build), you can use a couple channels from the mObridge to run the sub.

If you want to do a 2-way (and can afford these), then I would 100% recommend:
Sinfoni Tempo 10 tweeters in the sails.
Dynaudio Esotar 6.5" in the doors.
This was the absolute best sounding 2-way I've ever owned. Had this combo in my S4.

If you want to do a 3-way, then I would recommend:
Audiofrog GB60 in the doors
Audiofrog GB25 in the dash (3" won't fit - too big)
Sinfoni Tempo 10, or Audiofrog GB10 in the sails
I'm a sucker for the Tempo 10 tweeter... but it really is THAT GOOD.
I had this setup in my SQ5... and it is definitely better sounding than a 2-way. A lot better.

jimmydee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2018   #11
DIYMA 500 Club
 
Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Aurora, Co
Age: 36
Posts: 6,489

Thanks: 0
Thanked 451 Times in 382 Posts
Rep Power: 370 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute


iTrader: (7)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch_RS5 View Post
Thanks for the input guys.

I should have been clearer about tuning the DSP and what I meant by quick and easy. I have basic experience with a DSP and REW. I'm looking forward to learning the ins and outs the DSP and I love tinkering/tuning so that's no problem. I have a few decent shops where I live that have some really stellar guys that can always help if needed.

Based on the experiences of others with this stereo and my own ears (coming from a car with 2 way passive Hybrid Audio Technology speakers that were driven by the aforementioned Arc 300.4), the front stage as it is is not what I want. It's not bad, but it's loud enough, there is distortion at volumes that I would consider to be not that loud, and it simply is not as clear as I would like.

That being said, let me phrase my question this way: How much of an appreciable difference in SQ is there between a 2-way passive Audiofrog GS 6" and 1" setup, and a 3-way active anything setup with 6", 3", and 1" drivers?

I'd really like to go 3-way active not only for my personal listening, but as an exercise in learning as well.
3-way is not better than 2-way. There are some advantages and disadvantages to both configurations that are important to consider. I would take an expertly tuned 2-way setup over an amateur tuned 3-way setup every time.

A 3-way setup is great because you can easily split the bandwidth up so that each speaker only has to play what it's best at playing, the tweeters play the highs, midrange play midrange, etc. You also usually have an advantage by keeping most of the vocal information withing a single pair or speakers. We are very sensitive to the frequencies in the vocal range, so tuning issues withing this range can be easy to hear.

A 2-way has the advantage of simplicity, both with regard to install, but also with regard to acoustics. The ideal stereo system would have a single full range driver for the left, and one for the right. All of the sound would be produced from the exact same point, keeping everything perfectly in phase. Phase is important to the way we hear, and getting 4 speakers in phase is significantly easier than getting 6 or more speakers in phase. The advantage of having speakers in phase can easily over shadow the benefits of a 3-way setup, if that 3 way setup isn't optimized.

There cases where one setup is better than the other, but in general neither one is better, they both have pros and cons. Personally I've decided that tuning a 3-way front stage is a huge pain, to the point where I would much rather run 2-way. It takes a lot of time to tune a 3-way front stage before you are even at a point where it's on par with the 2-way, let alone better.

I've run both, and I'm not trying to discourage you from running a 3-way setup, I'm just helping you understand that the tuning challenges can easily make your amazing speakers sound pretty bad. Tuning is very time consuming, tuning a 2-way is exponentially easier than tuning a 3-way, and depending on a few factors can sound every bit as good.

Consider how much time and attention you're interested in spending on this project, just getting a 2-way setup optimized will take hours, and likely several weeks to dial in (assuming you're tuning with a mic, and working weekends and some evenings), triple that for a 3-way.
gijoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2018   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!
 
Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,675

Thanks: 213
Thanked 253 Times in 239 Posts
Rep Power: 55 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (1)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
...
A 3-way setup is great because you can easily split the bandwidth up so that each speaker only has to play what it's best at playing, the tweeters play the highs, midrange play midrange, etc. You also usually have an advantage by keeping most of the vocal information withing a single pair or speakers. We are very sensitive to the frequencies in the vocal range, so tuning issues withing this range can be easy to hear.
...
All was good GiJoe... is it easier for the three way when the cross over slopes are steeper?
And what vocal band are you talking about? (low-Hz to high Hz)
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2018   #13
DIYMA 500 Club
 
Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Aurora, Co
Age: 36
Posts: 6,489

Thanks: 0
Thanked 451 Times in 382 Posts
Rep Power: 370 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute


iTrader: (7)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
All was good GiJoe... is it easier for the three way when the cross over slopes are steeper?
And what vocal band are you talking about? (low-Hz to high Hz)
"In telephony, the usable voice frequency band ranges from approximately 300 Hz to 3400 Hz"

Obviously, the range will vary, but this is a good example of where the majority of the vocal information is. Depending on the speakers used, you can get most of the vocal information from the midrange speaker.

I wouldn't necessarily say that steeper slopes are any better for a 3-way setup, I think there are just too many variables. Ultimately the final frequency response is what matters, the crossover points and slopes are just used to get the best frequency response.
gijoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to gijoe For This Useful Post:
Holmz (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!
 
rton20s's Avatar
 
Enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Valley California
Posts: 8,659

Thanks: 659
Thanked 713 Times in 516 Posts
Rep Power: 358 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute


iTrader: (8)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

You're already getting a lot of good feedback, so I don't have too much to add. I do want to ask though, if the stock midbass drivers are 8" (even if they are shallow) why are you only looking at 6"-7" drivers to replace them. There are some excellent options out there for shallow 8" midbass drivers these days. And depending on the door design, you might have room for a non-shallow 8" midbass with the right motor design.


Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rton20s For This Useful Post:
Stretch_RS5 (09-14-2018)
Old 09-04-2018   #15
DIYMA 500 Club
 
Huckleberry Sound's Avatar
 
Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 975

Thanks: 9
Thanked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 142 Huckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (33)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

mmmm

Huckleberry Sound
Huckleberry Sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2018   #16
DIYMA 500 Club
 
Newbie
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 23

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0 toitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch_RS5 View Post
Good idea, and the factory speakers aren't that bad acutally, but there is definite room for improvement from the mid range down. Your idea would be feasible, but the factory subwoofer is awful, and the factory speakers would not be able to keep up with the Sundown 12" and amp, which leads us to this.

All of that aside, I would LOVE for the solution to be a quick and easy DSP because I could spend that money elsewhere on the car. Alas, that doesn't solve the problem as anyone who has listened to or owns a B8 Audi with the B&O stereo can attest to. Multiple Audi forums corroborate this.

FWIW I've read that the drivers and amp are not manufactured by Bang & Olufsen, but the system is "tuned" by them, thus allowing them to call it a Bang & Olufsen system. If this were an A8 with the big B&O system with the motorized tweeters in the dash, I'd agree with you and say a DSP alone is the way to go.
Thanks for creating this thread, I was about to do the same.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a 13 S5 and after a stage 2 tune, Audio has been on my mind and the primary focus in my shop. I've sourced the plug that goes from the B&O amp to the rest of the system - I've made a few prototype plug/housings so I can simply adapt my amps directly to the the existing speakers. If you'd like one, I'd be more than happy to ship one over, just PM me.

Congrats on the car!

-S
toitle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to toitle For This Useful Post:
Stretch_RS5 (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018   #17
 
Newbie
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: MS
Posts: 7

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0 Stretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
You're already getting a lot of good feedback, so I don't have too much to add. I do want to ask though, if the stock midbass drivers are 8" (even if they are shallow) why are you only looking at 6"-7" drivers to replace them. There are some excellent options out there for shallow 8" midbass drivers these days. And depending on the door design, you might have room for a non-shallow 8" midbass with the right motor design.
Good idea actually. I hadn't considered it because I'm told that the space back there really is THAT shallow. I'm trying to minimize the amount of fabrication that will be required, and everything I've seen points to the fact that a traditional 8" won't fit. The shallow 8" is a nice idea though. This is all very preliminary as I unfortunately can't do the install myself, and have to have a shop do it. I'd hate to have my guy break the door down only to find out whatever drivers I have are too big!

toitle thanks that's generous of you! Can you explain exactly what plug you're talking about and what it does?
Stretch_RS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2018   #18
DIYMA 500 Club
 
Newbie
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 23

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0 toitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch_RS5 View Post
Good idea actually. I hadn't considered it because I'm told that the space back there really is THAT shallow. I'm trying to minimize the amount of fabrication that will be required, and everything I've seen points to the fact that a traditional 8" won't fit. The shallow 8" is a nice idea though. This is all very preliminary as I unfortunately can't do the install myself, and have to have a shop do it. I'd hate to have my guy break the door down only to find out whatever drivers I have are too big!

toitle thanks that's generous of you! Can you explain exactly what plug you're talking about and what it does?
It's no problem, I like helping out and... it's just as easy to build ten as it is one

The plug can be found behind the access panel on the drivers side (US) of the trunk. The plug feeds power to the stock B&O amp as well as having all of the speaker outputs.
In the latest iteration of my setup I haven't replaced any speakers except the sub. The stock speakers aren't bad, it's the B&O processing that wrecks everything. I needed to retain the center channel as I always have passengers, it's my "road trip" car, so...

Mobridge -> Alpine PXA-H800 -> Amps -> OEM Plug -> speakers.

It makes for a clean and easy install. There's a guy here in Austin that makes the best sub enclosures for Audi's. It retains the factory parcel shelf location and is unobtrusive. You get about .7 cu/ft of airspace. There's another guy who makes enclosures to fit in the slot on the passenger side of the trunk - I'm not a fan, you only get about .4 cu/ft of space and it's not very secure. Poor design in my opinion.

The speakers in the B&O are FaitalPro. The dash and rear parcel shelf mids are 3Fe22's, I haven't done any research on the lower door speakers or sail tweeters, but, they do have that square-slotted-basket that Faital uses. I'm going to try to squeeze some Beyma 8's in that location this weekend. They'll fit, I have no real doubts.

I'm really liking this current setup and I think that after I clean it up a bit, it'll stay just like it is. Stage is solid and wide, never wanders. I like it.

The pink plug in the pic is what I'm talking about, see attached (not my car).


Last edited by toitle; 09-14-2018 at 04:00 PM..
toitle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2018   #19
 
Newbie
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: MS
Posts: 7

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0 Stretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

The more I think about it, a setup like yours sounds like the way to go. That DSP and adding a sub could be perfect. Couple questions for you: 1. Are you talking about Chris Bowen? His stuff looks fantastic. Which one of the JL 10w3 or the Audison sub do you recommend with respect to volume vis a via the stock speakers? 2. Have you put any thought in to swapping the dash speakers with Audison Voce 3.0s? The guys on Audizine seem to love that solution, as it's a like for like speaker replacement.

Congrats on the car too! A Stage 2 S5 is MIGHTY quick! What color is it?
Stretch_RS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2018   #20
Upgrade Your Membership!
 
Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,675

Thanks: 213
Thanked 253 Times in 239 Posts
Rep Power: 55 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (1)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch_RS5 View Post
The more I think about it, a setup like yours sounds like the way to go. That DSP and adding a sub could be perfect. Couple questions for you: 1. Are you talking about Chris Bowen? His stuff looks fantastic. Which one of the JL 10w3 or the Audison sub do you recommend with respect to volume vis a via the stock speakers? 2. Have you put any thought in to swapping the dash speakers with Audison Voce 3.0s? The guys on Audizine seem to love that solution, as it's a like for like speaker replacement.

Congrats on the car too! A Stage 2 S5 is MIGHTY quick! What color is it?

It does seem and wise easy to follow an established route to success.
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2018   #21
 
Newbie
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 225

Thanks: 11
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 83 mbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

I had a 2013 s4 with b/o. Audison 3.0 fit perfect. I used AV 6.5 in door. You will need to make 1.5 inch baffles and any 6.5 will then work. The “8” inch woofers had a TINY magnet so didn’t mov air well. Any tweet is fine, I got non b/o sails and cut to fit.

BMW >> Mobridge DA3 >> Arc 600/4 to Morel 230 tweets/Morel Hybrid 4" mids and Arc 600/4 to stock Harmon Kardon 8" mid-basses and single 10W3.
mbradlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2018   #22
DIYMA 500 Club
 
Newbie
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 23

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0 toitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch_RS5 View Post
The more I think about it, a setup like yours sounds like the way to go. That DSP and adding a sub could be perfect. Couple questions for you: 1. Are you talking about Chris Bowen? His stuff looks fantastic. Which one of the JL 10w3 or the Audison sub do you recommend with respect to volume vis a via the stock speakers? 2. Have you put any thought in to swapping the dash speakers with Audison Voce 3.0s? The guys on Audizine seem to love that solution, as it's a like for like speaker replacement.

Congrats on the car too! A Stage 2 S5 is MIGHTY quick! What color is it?
Just to be clear, I'm not bashing Chris Bowen's work. It's top notch, they are beautiful enclosures. There's two people in the local Audi chapter with them - I've had my hands all over them and they are very nice. It's the design I didn't like for just the lack of air space. I had a C7 A6 before the S5 and I did the same thing for an Sundown SD2 8 and it worked with that sub and nothing else I had on hand - from JL, Focal, ID to a Polk MM. Eight or nine subs didn't fit the bill. But that SD2 was magic. It's been the most flexible sub I've ever used. (I really need to get rid of some of this stuff)

I bought the underhung enclosure and it's perfect, I'll snap some pics when I've got some daylight. It seriously looks like an OEM part. Right now it has a ID10 in it and it's very musical and feels balanced. With the Sundown SD10 it seems to dig a little deeper.

Lots of people go for the Voce with good reason. But, I recommend trying it out stock before dropping the cash. If you want to see what else fits, you can look up the spec sheet on the 3FE22. I've had the calipers on the stock speakers and the measurements are exactly the same.

As for a sub recommendation, if you get one of Chris' boxes - other than the SD2-8, nothing I've heard sounded right in that space. But, I'm just some dude in a forum. You should see if you can audition some of the configurations. Hell, you could knock out one of those enclosures in a day, easy.

I've gathered a ton of info on these cars in regards to audio, let me know if you need anything. Chances are I have it.

Moonlight Blue Metallic. I'm partially colorblind, so, I thought it was black when I bought it. Sure was a surprise when the sun came out the next day =]

There's a guy here and within the Audi forums, SubterFuse (I think that's right). He is the all-knowing when it comes to your options in the realm of Audi related audio. He turned me onto the Beyma 8's. His S6 is one of the nicest I've ever seen and he's incredibly nice as well.
toitle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2018   #23
 
Newbie
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: MS
Posts: 7

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0 Stretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enoughStretch_RS5 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Quote:
Originally Posted by toitle View Post
Just to be clear, I'm not bashing Chris Bowen's work. It's top notch, they are beautiful enclosures. There's two people in the local Audi chapter with them - I've had my hands all over them and they are very nice. It's the design I didn't like for just the lack of air space. I had a C7 A6 before the S5 and I did the same thing for an Sundown SD2 8 and it worked with that sub and nothing else I had on hand - from JL, Focal, ID to a Polk MM. Eight or nine subs didn't fit the bill. But that SD2 was magic. It's been the most flexible sub I've ever used. (I really need to get rid of some of this stuff)

I bought the underhung enclosure and it's perfect, I'll snap some pics when I've got some daylight. It seriously looks like an OEM part. Right now it has a ID10 in it and it's very musical and feels balanced. With the Sundown SD10 it seems to dig a little deeper.

Lots of people go for the Voce with good reason. But, I recommend trying it out stock before dropping the cash. If you want to see what else fits, you can look up the spec sheet on the 3FE22. I've had the calipers on the stock speakers and the measurements are exactly the same.

As for a sub recommendation, if you get one of Chris' boxes - other than the SD2-8, nothing I've heard sounded right in that space. But, I'm just some dude in a forum. You should see if you can audition some of the configurations. Hell, you could knock out one of those enclosures in a day, easy.

I've gathered a ton of info on these cars in regards to audio, let me know if you need anything. Chances are I have it.

Moonlight Blue Metallic. I'm partially colorblind, so, I thought it was black when I bought it. Sure was a surprise when the sun came out the next day =]

There's a guy here and within the Audi forums, SubterFuse (I think that's right). He is the all-knowing when it comes to your options in the realm of Audi related audio. He turned me onto the Beyma 8's. His S6 is one of the nicest I've ever seen and he's incredibly nice as well.
Ah, I misread your earlier post. I was actually suspicious of the size of those side enclosures, so I'm glad you said something. Can you link the underhung enclosure you're talking about?
Stretch_RS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2018   #24
 
Newbie
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: NC
Posts: 46

Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 33 court will become famous soon enoughcourt will become famous soon enoughcourt will become famous soon enoughcourt will become famous soon enoughcourt will become famous soon enoughcourt will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Just reading thru this thread. I added a sub and amp combo to my S5 Friday. The sub is Image Dynamics ID Max 10 D2, Sub amp Arc Audi XDi 1100.1, and Audio Control LC2i line output converter. I have a remote gain knob for the amplifier so I can adjust if necessary. So far it sounds great. I did go into the menu and turn the mids down in the B&O. I have thought about the front stage. In my personal opinion to much work needed to change. I would have to find a 3 way compset, amp, and would require a dsp.

2015 Jeep Renegade (Kenwood DD, Arc Audio Component, Arc Audio Coaxial, Arc Audio 450.4, Skar Audio Evl 15)
2013 Audi S5 (ID MAX 10, Arc Audio XDi 1100.1, Audio Control Loci2, Arc Audio 600.4)
court is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2018   #25
DIYMA 500 Club
 
Newbie
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 23

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0 toitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enoughtoitle will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: Audi RS5 front stage driver locations: 2 way passive vs 3 way active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch_RS5 View Post
Ah, I misread your earlier post. I was actually suspicious of the size of those side enclosures, so I'm glad you said something. Can you link the underhung enclosure you're talking about?
His website should be up in November.

I saw him over the weekend putting in an underhung enclosure in a red RS5. I really wanted to take some pics but my phone jumped in the toilet the day before. The RS5 was red and he constructed it out of red carbon fiber, not a wrap. It looked good, I mean, real good. It was running a Morel Primo 10, I was very impressed.

As soon as he opens his site I'll post the link here.
toitle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to toitle For This Useful Post:
Stretch_RS5 (10-22-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
First name
Last name
Do you work in the 12 Volt industry?
Do you work in the 12 Volt industry?
Youtube Channel
Enter Your Youtube Username, And It will Be Linked To In Your Posts!
12V Industry - Company Name
Your company name.
12V Industry - Your Position
Your position in your company.

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Ad Management by RedTyger

Home | User CP | Members List | New Posts | ITrader | Faq | Post Spy