F150 platinum... its been awhile... help! - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2018   #1

Rep Power: 0 Gagezilla will become famous soon enoughGagezilla will become famous soon enoughGagezilla will become famous soon enoughGagezilla will become famous soon enoughGagezilla will become famous soon enoughGagezilla will become famous soon enough

Default F150 platinum... its been awhile... help!

Alright I bought this truck with the intention of leaving the audio alone but itís so goddamn awful that I canít! I need your collective advice to sort through this.

Truck
2014 F150 platinum with Sony premium sound and 8Ē sync system

Equipment
Sound processor
  • Rockford Fosgate DSR1
Subwoofer
  • Stereo Integrity BM mkV 12Ē in .5cubic foot sealed enclosure
Speakers
  • Hertz MPK 165.3 Pro
  • Rear speakers... TBD... buying rear speakers would probably mean dropping down to the CPK series
Amp
  • JL Audio XD 700/5v2
If I run rear speakers Iíll eliminate some of the dsp functionality as I will run the fronts passively through the crossovers which are reported to be good quality. Iíll be using the stock speaker wire and will be bypassing the factory Sony amp altogether. Any issues with this? The only other thing I think worth mentioning is that if I go with an active setup I will have to pay a shop to tune the system.

Let me know your thoughts please! I have thick skin so if the above is dumb let me know!
Gagezilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2018   #2

Rep Power: 29 dhmcfadin will become famous soon enoughdhmcfadin will become famous soon enoughdhmcfadin will become famous soon enoughdhmcfadin will become famous soon enoughdhmcfadin will become famous soon enoughdhmcfadin will become famous soon enough

Default Re: F150 platinum... its been awhile... help!

Why would you have to run passive with rears installed? The DSR1 allows for active two way, rears, and sub simultaneously.

2018 F150 AudioControl 6.1200/4.800/1.1500, Helix MK2, NavTV, AudioFrog GB10/GB25, FI Audio, Audio Development W800 Neo, Morel, Neutrik Rean, Mogami, Second Skin
dhmcfadin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2018   #3

Rep Power: 0 Gagezilla will become famous soon enoughGagezilla will become famous soon enoughGagezilla will become famous soon enoughGagezilla will become famous soon enoughGagezilla will become famous soon enoughGagezilla will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=dhmcfadin;5600615]Why would you have to run passive with rears installed? The DSR1 allows for active two way, rears, and sub simultaneously.[/QUOTE

Possible Iím confusing terms _ do I have enough channels to do both?

Old 09-17-2018   #4

Rep Power: 29 dhmcfadin will become famous soon enoughdhmcfadin will become famous soon enoughdhmcfadin will become famous soon enoughdhmcfadin will become famous soon enoughdhmcfadin will become famous soon enoughdhmcfadin will become famous soon enough

On the dsp, yes. On the amp, no. Ideally, for front active with rears and sub youíd want a 6 channel and a sub amp.

2018 F150 AudioControl 6.1200/4.800/1.1500, Helix MK2, NavTV, AudioFrog GB10/GB25, FI Audio, Audio Development W800 Neo, Morel, Neutrik Rean, Mogami, Second Skin
Old 09-17-2018   #5

Alright so another member pointed out that the sub may not get enough power from that amp since it is a dual vc 2ohm amp... what might be a good recommendation for a separate sub amp and 6 channel amp? 3 posts in and Iím already spending more money lol

Are the benefits of running active 2 way fronts that great?
Old 09-17-2018   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagezilla View Post
Alright so another member pointed out that the sub may not get enough power from that amp since it is a dual vc 2ohm amp... what might be a good recommendation for a separate sub amp and 6 channel amp? 3 posts in and Iím already spending more money lol

Are the benefits of running active 2 way fronts that great?

Yes, active is the only way to go.

AudioControl 6.1200

AudioControl 1.800 or 1.1500

Old 09-17-2018   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmcfadin View Post
Yes, active is the only way to go.

AudioControl 6.1200

AudioControl 1.800 or 1.1500
Seems like awesome equipment but may be a bit expensive... are these a lot better than JLís Xd series? Are you suggesting the 75w rms is not sufficient?
Old 09-17-2018   #8

Quote:
Seems like awesome equipment but may be a bit expensive... are these a lot better than JLís Xd series? Are you suggesting the 75w rms is not sufficient?

75 is definitely sufficient. The xd series is great but do they make a 6 channel?

Old 09-17-2018   #9

Rep Power: 58 pw91686 will become famous soon enoughpw91686 will become famous soon enoughpw91686 will become famous soon enoughpw91686 will become famous soon enoughpw91686 will become famous soon enoughpw91686 will become famous soon enough

ditch the rear speakers, and just run active front stage with a 5 channel amp.
pw91686 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2018   #10

Quote:
75 is definitely sufficient. The xd series is great but do they make a 6 channel?
They do - Crutchfield has it on their site but I canít post a link yet

Itís cheaper than the 5 channel too
Old 09-17-2018   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw91686 View Post
ditch the rear speakers, and just run active front stage with a 5 channel amp.
Iím with you but itís such a big cab... that said I carry dogs far more than people back there
Old 09-17-2018   #12

Rep Power: 58 pw91686 will become famous soon enoughpw91686 will become famous soon enoughpw91686 will become famous soon enoughpw91686 will become famous soon enoughpw91686 will become famous soon enoughpw91686 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
They do - Crutchfield has it on their site but I canít post a link yet

Itís cheaper than the 5 channel too
if you go with a 6 channel look at the zapco st-6x instead of the JL. will save you money and a better amp in my opinion.
pw91686 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2018   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw91686 View Post
if you go with a 6 channel look at the zapco st-6x instead of the JL. will save you money and a better amp in my opinion.
What makes it a better amp? The amp will be mounted behind the rear seat with little to no airflow and the Jl claims to handle that well...
Old 09-17-2018   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,172 Posts
Rep Power: 452 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Equipment
Sound processor
  • Rockford Fosgate DSR1
i highly suggest reconsidering. This thing was a total POS when i have used it for factory integration with the Sony system in a ford. Use the PAC amp pro with an external processor

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2018   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
i highly suggest reconsidering. This thing was a total POS when i have used it for factory integration with the Sony system in a ford. Use the PAC amp pro with an external processor

I can agree with this.

Old 09-18-2018   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
I read about some early challenges but was under th3 impression they had been sorted for the most part. Have you used them recently?

Thank you for your help and advice!
Old 09-18-2018   #17

Rep Power: 62 MrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enough

Have u already bought the DSR 1 and the passive Hertz set?

Iíd suggest doing a different DSP, and if u havenít bought the JL amp yet...try the xd1000/5v2 instead. Does 600 on the sub channel. If u already bought the 700/5 I wouldnít stress it too much....u have 300 watts (or more) on tap....

(from Stereo Integrity):

ďThe new BMmkV is a very efficient subwoofer thanks in part to its XBL^2 enabled motor and it does not need every bit of its power handling limit in order to perform well. In its recommended enclosure volume of 0.5^3 sealed, the BMmkVís ideal power range is 200 to 400 wattsĒ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by MrGreen83; 09-18-2018 at 01:42 AM..
MrGreen83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2018   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreen83 View Post
Have u already bought the DSR 1 and the passive Hertz set?

Iíd suggest doing a different DSP, and if u havenít bought the JL amp yet...try the xd1000/5v2 instead. Does 600 on the sub channel. If u already bought the 700/5 I wouldnít stress it too much....u have 300 watts (or more) on tap....

(from Stereo Integrity):

ďThe new BMmkV is a very efficient subwoofer thanks in part to its XBL^2 enabled motor and it does not need every bit of its power handling limit in order to perform well. In its recommended enclosure volume of 0.5^3 sealed, the BMmkVís ideal power range is 200 to 400 wattsĒ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I havenít bought anything as of yet so Iím open to all the options
Old 09-18-2018   #19

Alright so I am sold on the PAC Amp Pro... one question though is whether there is away to tie the speaker wire from the amplifier back into the vehicle without cutting the factory harness?

Iím planning to reuse the factory speaker wire from the stock amplifier and would like to avoid cutting and splicing

Last edited by Gagezilla; 09-18-2018 at 10:13 AM..
Old 09-18-2018   #20
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 77 unix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enough

Where are you located? Who's doing the installation?

Current build (almost completed) -> 2017 Mustang GT PP, Zapco DC series amps & DSP, all active - dual 18" Fi IB3 Subwoofers in IB.

Version 2: Zapco LX 6 A/B for mains, Zapco Z3K D for 12" Sundown Z12 in IB, miniDSP C68 integrated with custom micro to OEM processing and controls...
unix_usr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2018   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by unix_usr View Post
Where are you located? Who's doing the installation?
Iím located in Austin Tx and Iíll do the installation - I enjoy these types of projects
Old 09-18-2018   #22

Quote:
Iím located in Austin Tx and Iíll do the installation - I enjoy these types of projects

Iím in Austin as well. Let me know if you need any help. As far as tying into the factory speaker harness, use the fo2 harness. Even though you arenít using the DSR1, the fo2 harness has a stand-alone Molex plug with pigtails that allows you to simply plug into the factory speaker output without splicing any wires. Hereís a pic of the harness I am talking about.

Old 09-18-2018   #23

Quote:
Iím in Austin as well. Let me know if you need any help. As far as tying into the factory speaker harness, use the fo2 harness. Even though you arenít using the DSR1, the fo2 harness has a stand-alone Molex plug with pigtails that allows you to simply plug into the factory speaker output without splicing any wires. Hereís a pic of the harness I am talking about.
Sweet!
Old 09-18-2018   #24

Rep Power: 47 LostnEye will become famous soon enoughLostnEye will become famous soon enoughLostnEye will become famous soon enoughLostnEye will become famous soon enoughLostnEye will become famous soon enoughLostnEye will become famous soon enough

I agree with forgetting the DSR1. I had nothing but issues and have talked to a few people recently that still do. The PAC Ampro works well or using Forscan software to bypass the factory processing/amp

2013 Taurus SHO - SYNC 3 > PAC Ampro > Helix DSP > Zapco ST-6X SQ and ST-1650XM II > Seas Prestige, AF GB60, 2 IDQ 12s IB
LostnEye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to LostnEye For This Useful Post:
unix_usr (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018   #25

Rep Power: 62 MrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Alright so I am sold on the PAC Amp Pro... one question though is whether there is away to tie the speaker wire from the amplifier back into the vehicle without cutting the factory harness?

Iím planning to reuse the factory speaker wire from the stock amplifier and would like to avoid cutting and splicing

I donít see an Amp Pro for ur car. I mustíve missed it

Edit: nvm I see it. Nice solution!
MrGreen83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement