To head-unit or not to head-unit, what are the alternatives and Zapco Z8 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2018   #1

Rep Power: 0 hakalugi will become famous soon enoughhakalugi will become famous soon enoughhakalugi will become famous soon enoughhakalugi will become famous soon enoughhakalugi will become famous soon enoughhakalugi will become famous soon enough

Default To head-unit or not to head-unit, what are the alternatives and Zapco Z8

Hey,

my custom suv/truck rebuild is nearly done, so i'm circling back on the audio system specs and design....

the catch: the soft-top truck will have a tuffy-box center console that has single DIN space like this one:

i have a single DIN ham radio i'd like to put there, if possible, since it's not cheap and that's a weatherproof and lockable space.

if i do that i need something else to be my "preamp/inputselector with a volume knob"

my sources:

* USB from iphone/ipad
* XM radio (just the antenna and line level feed)
* ham radio (the CB has it's own basic speaker, so just ham for now)

I don't want dvd/cd, nor FM/am radio, so i hate to waste a whole DIN space on an underutilized head unit.

do you know of a small (hide-able) pre/pro/input selector with a volume control?

At first i thought my (not yet deployed) Zapco DSP-Z8 (the older one: https://www.zapco.com/dsp-z8#!) with the ZR remote could do that (after all it has 3 pairs inputs and 4 stereo outputs) but i'm having issues programming it on my bench, the software is buggy with my win7 laptop when i last tried 2 yrs ago (the build on my truck has taken a while....) lord knows how it'll play with win10 now.

my output will be 4 way: sub(s), midbass, midrange, tweet, so i'd like to keep the Z8 if possible, just not sure how much progress i'll make programming it. and the Z8 will be way in the back behind the 2nd row of seats (this is an SUV type truck), if i wire all sources to it, all would need to run from front dash area to the rear of a truck (the interior has no carpet, fully powder coated aluminum tub body)

so, any ideas for an input selector pre-amp with volume knob to negate the need for a head unit and where i can run inputs in the dash to a single switcher and it's single cable back to the Z8?

do you have any tricks making your Zapco Z8 easier to work with?

thanks, hak
hakalugi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2018   #2

Rep Power: 0 hakalugi will become famous soon enoughhakalugi will become famous soon enoughhakalugi will become famous soon enoughhakalugi will become famous soon enoughhakalugi will become famous soon enoughhakalugi will become famous soon enough

Default Re: To head-unit or not to head-unit, what are the alternatives and Zapco Z8

darn, seems like the series V

https://www.zapco.com/hdsp-5-series

using my phone as the controller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWgR...ature=youtu.be

would work...

still like a physical knob for volume, we'll see what the 'remotes' look like when it's finally out.

maybe i'll use my Z8 for just getitng the x-over correct, still building the front pods/arrays, then when the series 5 is out, it's just install/set/roll
Old 10-05-2018   #3

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 97 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: To head-unit or not to head-unit, what are the alternatives and Zapco Z8

Could you use a potentiometer on the rcas?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Jscoyne2 For This Useful Post:
hakalugi (10-06-2018)

Old 10-06-2018   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 101 robtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enough

Not sure about the multiple input selector but the AudioControl Overdrive Plus gets the hideable preamp/volume control bit done.

2008 328xi. X7800BT, D8604 & D9605, MT-230, GB40, xe200, 12" Primo in Musicar box. 2006 XC90. 3300NEX, F4 (X2) & M12, GB10, GB25, AR6K, GB12D4 (X2). 2005 Malibu RLXI. MBT-RX, MXAZEQ5BT, LC6.1200, DRT 26, AR6K's (X2), L5-8 in PWK designed box. 1980 Triumph TR8. MBT-RX, Overdrive Plus, D9605, GS62, L7T (X2).
robtr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to robtr8 For This Useful Post:
hakalugi (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
Could you use a potentiometer on the rcas?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
hmm, with 3 inputs not sure i'd want 3 pots

i've never "y-cabled" inputs, not sure if that'd be healthy, need something to input select.
Old 10-06-2018   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtr8 View Post
Not sure about the multiple input selector but the AudioControl Overdrive Plus gets the hideable preamp/volume control bit done.
thank you for the idea. sadly it's only 1 input, i believe:

"2-channel preamp inputs and outputs"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement