2014 Nissan Frontier Budget SQ Build - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2019   #1

Rep Power: 12 cdlowe30907 will become famous soon enoughcdlowe30907 will become famous soon enoughcdlowe30907 will become famous soon enoughcdlowe30907 will become famous soon enoughcdlowe30907 will become famous soon enoughcdlowe30907 will become famous soon enough

Default 2014 Nissan Frontier Budget SQ Build

Want to get some suggestions for a budget SQ build.
Ive looked over the truck and it has 2.5” speakers in the top of the dash, 6x9’s in the front doors. I will have to use a shallow 10” sub under the rear seat with approximately .55ft sq area with about 4” od depth.
I want to run 2 way active and sub.
I have a budget of about $1000 for equipment. (I can adjust money up or down per item as long as I stay very close to my budget.)
Havent went active or used a dsp.

HU or DSP. $250
Front Speakers $225
Sub. $225
Amp $300 (5Channel ?)

I currently have
Soundstream D60-2 x2
Soundstrean D100-2 powers up, no sound
Kicker ZX-300.1
Hybrid Audio 6.5" Imagines
I have a 4 gauge amp wire kit and about 40 sq ft of sound deadener.
Already started running speaker wire and sound deadener doors
I would like suggestion for speaker brand, size, sub and amp. I dont have any problem buying used except for maybe radio.
I have been looking at the Hybrid Audio Unity U2 and U69.
Have read were some people go with setup without sub.
Thanks in advance for everyones suggestions.
cdlowe30907 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2019   #2

Rep Power: 10 Adrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlowe30907 View Post
Want to get some suggestions for a budget SQ build.
Ive looked over the truck and it has 2.5” speakers in the top of the dash, 6x9’s in the front doors. I will have to use a shallow 10” sub under the rear seat with approximately .55ft sq area with about 4” od depth.
I want to run 2 way active and sub.
I have a budget of about $1000 for equipment. (I can adjust money up or down per item as long as I stay very close to my budget.)
Havent went active or used a dsp.

HU or DSP. $250
Front Speakers $225
Sub. $225
Amp $300 (5Channel ?)

I currently have
Soundstream D60-2 x2
Soundstrean D100-2 powers up, no sound
Kicker ZX-300.1
Hybrid Audio 6.5" Imagines
I have a 4 gauge amp wire kit and about 40 sq ft of sound deadener.
Already started running speaker wire and sound deadener doors
I would like suggestion for speaker brand, size, sub and amp. I dont have any problem buying used except for maybe radio.
I have been looking at the Hybrid Audio Unity U2 and U69.
Have read were some people go with setup without sub.
Thanks in advance for everyones suggestions.
The XD 700/5 can be had used for around $300. That will get you about 75 watts @4 ohm x 4 and 300 watts @ 2 ohms sub. The Alpine PDX TO 5 channel is a good option too.

I believe the Stereo Integrity BM MKV 12" shallow sub might be exactly what you need for the allowed space. It is an SQ sub for $350. But, it is a dual 2 ohm with 500 watts rms. The JL Audio 700/5 will not get you the power you need for that sub. The better option would be a used PDX V9 or an HD 900/5, but they might blow your budget a bit.

If the HATs are components, I would stick with that. You really didn't specify if you have tweeters.

Dayton Audio DSP-408 for $150.

Leaves you about $200 for a head unit or you can integrate the stock HU with the high level inputs on the DSP-408.

I've had good luck with used amps. That's usually a good way to get more for less.
Adrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2019   #3

Rep Power: 12 cdlowe30907 will become famous soon enoughcdlowe30907 will become famous soon enoughcdlowe30907 will become famous soon enoughcdlowe30907 will become famous soon enoughcdlowe30907 will become famous soon enoughcdlowe30907 will become famous soon enough

The only higher end speakers I have listened to locally are the Hybrid Audio and Focal. No others are local except JL Audio and Arc Audio.
Both sounded pretty good.
Just trying to get some ideas.
Really unsure of which way to go.
Yes, the Hybrid are convertibles.

Old 02-04-2019   #4

Does anyone have experience or used the Pioneer DEQ-S1000S dsp ?
Old 02-04-2019   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 135 nstaln will become famous soon enoughnstaln will become famous soon enoughnstaln will become famous soon enoughnstaln will become famous soon enoughnstaln will become famous soon enoughnstaln will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2014 Nissan Frontier Budget SQ Build

I have a 2017 Frontier that I've done quite a bit of work on. If you check out my build logs it may give you some ideas. Also if you go onto Facebook and join the JL Classified group there is someone selling a 700/5 for $250 in nice condition.

One thing I can tell you right off the bat is that the dash speakers do not have a whole lot of clearance between the top of the speaker and the plastic grill that covers it. I had to recess my tweets just to be able to get the cover back on...so make sure what ever you choose for that location does not protrude too much from the speaker opening.

For a sub I would recommend checking out Sundown Audio SD-3 series. They are an underhung (SQ) design, shallow-mount, with good excursion capability, small box requirement and don't require a ton of power. They are also not too expensive.

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...und-build.html

Factory HU - Alpine PXA-H800/RUX - 2 x JL Audio HD900/5's - Audiofrog GB10's - Audiofrog GB25's - Audiofrog GS 690's - Audiofrog GB2510 Crossovers - 2 x Audiomobile MASS 2012's

Last edited by nstaln; 02-04-2019 at 08:29 AM..
nstaln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2019   #6

Rep Power: 10 Adrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The only higher end speakers I have listened to locally are the Hybrid Audio and Focal. No others are local except JL Audio and Arc Audio.
Both sounded pretty good.
Just trying to get some ideas.
Really unsure of which way to go.
Yes, the Hybrid are convertibles.
I've never heard the HAT's, but from what I've read I don't see any reason to go with anything different. Get the DSP and run them active. If you're keeping the stock HU then you should have plenty to get a decent used amp and a nice sub. If you want a new deck, don't get the DSP and just invest in a pioneer 80prs and still run active and get a decent amp.

I would sink some of the money saved into buying a calibrated rta mic and sound deadening.
Adrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2019   #7

Rep Power: 31 Nineteen69Mach1 will become famous soon enoughNineteen69Mach1 will become famous soon enoughNineteen69Mach1 will become famous soon enoughNineteen69Mach1 will become famous soon enoughNineteen69Mach1 will become famous soon enoughNineteen69Mach1 will become famous soon enough

Front Stage:
HAT Unity U2 $180
HAT Unity U69 $340
12velectronics.com

DSP:
Dayton DSP $150
partsexpress.com

Amps:
Pioneer GM-A4704 4ch $130
Pioneer GM-A3702 2ch $80
partsexpress.com

Shallow Sub:
Pioneer TS-SW2502S4 $106
woofersetc.com

Total $985

New Build-
2017 GMC Sierra All-Terrian, Zacpo, Morel, DD Audio
Nineteen69Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019   #8

Just ordered the Hybrid Audio U2’s.
Looking at 5 channel amps.
Looking at the NVX JAD900.5 and a used Arc Audio XDi850.5.
Would the sub channel be enough for the Pioneer sub? About 240 watts for a 4 ohm sub. Only found a single 4 ohm version.
Does Pioneer make a 2ohm or dual 4ohm version of that sub.
I have sound deadener for the doors and a Stinger 4 gauge amp wire kit. Also have some ofc 16 guage speaker wire.
What would be a inexpensive calibrated mic to use for REW ?
Old 02-06-2019   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 107 nyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enough

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...phone--390-808
nyquistrate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019   #10

Rep Power: 0 West1 will become famous soon enoughWest1 will become famous soon enoughWest1 will become famous soon enoughWest1 will become famous soon enoughWest1 will become famous soon enoughWest1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstaln View Post
I have a 2017 Frontier that I've done quite a bit of work on. If you check out my build logs it may give you some ideas. Also if you go onto Facebook and join the JL Classified group there is someone selling a 700/5 for $250 in nice condition.

One thing I can tell you right off the bat is that the dash speakers do not have a whole lot of clearance between the top of the speaker and the plastic grill that covers it. I had to recess my tweets just to be able to get the cover back on...so make sure what ever you choose for that location does not protrude too much from the speaker opening.

For a sub I would recommend checking out Sundown Audio SD-3 series. They are an underhung (SQ) design, shallow-mount, with good excursion capability, small box requirement and don't require a ton of power. They are also not too expensive.

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...und-build.html
I concur on the SD line. I have a 07 Frontier and had the SD-2 10 for a year or so. I put 2" metal spacers under the seats to get me the clearance I needed. Hit pretty hard. I hear great things on the SD-3's.

I have since swapped my box for a different, bigger direction.
West1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019   #11

Just got the Hybrid U2’s in today.
They are smaller than the dash opening.
Would abs plastics be a sturdy material to make an adapter ring ? Or something else that is thin and sturdy ?
I was also looking at the Pioneer dsp.
Anyone have any thoughts postive or negative ?
Still trying to decide on a good budget friendly 5 channel amp and also if I need to replace the factory headunit ?
Old 02-08-2019   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 304 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go with the Dayton 408 dsp since it's been proven on this forum. For adapters you can get some thin cutting board at Walmart. MAKE SURE you do something to isolate the back of the cone of the 2" from the outside world so the sound coming from the back of the cone doesn't interfere with the sound coming from the front of the cone. Been there done that and it gets real ugly real fast. The NVX 5ch is a great option for a 5ch amp. Yes I would replace the factory headunit. Plenty of options under $200 that will be worlds better for signal than the factory unit. Don't waste your money on an 80prs. An inexpensive Pioneer or Kenwood headunit going to the Dayton 408 will destroy an 80prs in tweakability. To put it bluntly, headunits like the 80prs and even the super expensive p99 are great for what they are but aren't even in the same ballpark as even a somewhat basic dsp like the Dayton 408 or minidsp 6x8.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...I'd rather be hated for my honesty than loved for being fake
Hillbilly SQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2019   #13

Rep Power: 31 Nineteen69Mach1 will become famous soon enoughNineteen69Mach1 will become famous soon enoughNineteen69Mach1 will become famous soon enoughNineteen69Mach1 will become famous soon enoughNineteen69Mach1 will become famous soon enoughNineteen69Mach1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Just ordered the Hybrid Audio U2’s.
Looking at 5 channel amps.
Looking at the NVX JAD900.5 and a used Arc Audio XDi850.5.
Would the sub channel be enough for the Pioneer sub? About 240 watts for a 4 ohm sub. Only found a single 4 ohm version.
Does Pioneer make a 2ohm or dual 4ohm version of that sub.
I have sound deadener for the doors and a Stinger 4 gauge amp wire kit. Also have some ofc 16 guage speaker wire.
What would be a inexpensive calibrated mic to use for REW ?
Quote:
Just got the Hybrid U2’s in today.
They are smaller than the dash opening.
Would abs plastics be a sturdy material to make an adapter ring ? Or something else that is thin and sturdy ?
I was also looking at the Pioneer dsp.
Anyone have any thoughts postive or negative ?
Still trying to decide on a good budget friendly 5 channel amp and also if I need to replace the factory headunit ?
I believe the Pioneer sub is only 4ohm

The NVX JAD900.5 specs are adequate, it will run that sub nicely. I have no experience with the amp though.

The Arc XDi850.5, I would go with over the NVX. It too is plenty adequate.

ABS plastic will be good to make the brackets for the U2's

I use the Audiofrog mic. Its great

New Build-
Old 02-09-2019   #14

The Skar Audio SK-M9005D is an inexpensive alternative 5ch amp.

New Build-
Old 02-09-2019   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 304 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought...with a good deadening job on the front doors I don't see any of the cheaper shallow 10's giving much more low end than those Unity 6x9's would give you. Send them good power and they should play plenty low and loud for most music except stuff that plays REALLY low. I figure 50-800 on the x9's and 800 and up on the 2's. When I had my gs690's in mildly deadened Grand Cherokee doors they would have been fine crossed at 50hz had I not had a sub and would have kept me happy 90% of the time. Short of the higher end shallow subs like Oncore, Stereo Integrity, JL, and Illusion I can't think of a single inexpensive shallow sub that I would recommend. So, yeah I'm saying work on your door install and give the x9's what they want for power and go from there. You can get a pair of small footprint 4ch amps and bridge one to the x9's and the 2's on the other. This would give you a pair of channels to bridge to a sub later if you decided to go that route.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...I'd rather be hated for my honesty than loved for being fake
Old 02-09-2019   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

One other thing, where are you located? Just seeing if there will be a car audio meet happening near you for you to hear other systems and have plenty of people willing to help you with tuning yours.

Old 02-10-2019   #17

I live right outside of Augusta, GA.
As far as a good deadening job on the front doors.
What type of material could I use to seal up the bigger holes ?
I just have deadener over them right now on the passenger door. Havent started on drivers door. I want to completely finish one side before doing the other. Mounting speakers, running wire etc.
What would be some good ideas on the 4 channel amps ?
Old 02-10-2019   #18

Would the Kenwood DDX375BT be a good headunit to use. My local BB has it for on sale for $150 ?
This would feed the Dayton DSP.
Would I need to run a separate power wire from the battery for the dsp ?
I have a Stinger 4g amp wire kit.
Old 02-10-2019   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Check the 12v events section on this forum. There's a meet happening just north of Birmingham, AL in a few weeks and then a BIG one in Greensboro, NC that people come from all over for. Hell I'll be there and it's a 12 hour drive and I'm not the one with the longest drive! Would be worth making one of them to hear some great cars and get good structural criticism. If you could make one the one in North Carolina would be the one I'd make.

That Kenwood headunit would be as good as anything from Kenwood or Pioneer.

On 4ch amps there's endless options. Let us know how much room you're dealing with and we'll throw some options at you. When it comes to small footprint amps I'm a fan of JL because they're so solid and sound great but they're pricy.

You can run power and ground for the dsp from the fuse block and ground block that splits power to your amps.

Old 02-10-2019   #20

I have about $300 ($350 tops) to spends on amps.
The area I want to put them behind the drivers side rear seat is
15” wide
6” high
I want to put both amps and dsp in this area if possible.
Would the Audiofrog 6x9’s be a better option than the Hybrids ?
Old 02-10-2019   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 135 nstaln will become famous soon enoughnstaln will become famous soon enoughnstaln will become famous soon enoughnstaln will become famous soon enoughnstaln will become famous soon enoughnstaln will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have about $300 ($350 tops) to spends on amps.
The area I want to put them behind the drivers side rear seat is
15” wide
6” high
I want to put both amps and dsp in this area if possible.
Would the Audiofrog 6x9’s be a better option than the Hybrids ?
I cannot comment on the Hybrids, but I currently run the AF GS690's and they are top-notch.

Factory HU - Alpine PXA-H800/RUX - 2 x JL Audio HD900/5's - Audiofrog GB10's - Audiofrog GB25's - Audiofrog GS 690's - Audiofrog GB2510 Crossovers - 2 x Audiomobile MASS 2012's
nstaln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2019   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

The gs690's are beastly. They rocked my Grand Cherokee playing from 70-2500. I WAS NOT happy when I found out they wouldn't fit in the doors of my new truck because of a window track support. They sold on here used for $230 in EIGHT MINUTES with a few people in line hoping the ones in front backed out!

For an amp I'm not sure if you can wedge this in there or not being a hair taller than what you're looking for but this would be a good option and give good power to your fronts. Honestly I wouldn't worry about a sub just yet until you get your fronts dialed in good and you can get a micro amp to power a sub later down the road if you decide you even need one with the 6x9's in the doors.https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...-JAD800.4.html
Don't know anything about the VAD amps but it looks like it puts out good power in a small case. For your budget I think it would be a good bang for the buck.
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...NVX-VADM4.html

Old 02-13-2019   #23

I was actually looking at using the NVX JAD800.4 amp for front stage active.
Would the Audiofrogs be a better option to go with or is it based on preference ?
I havent purchased the 6x9’s yet.
Been busy with work.
Old 02-13-2019   #24

Rep Power: 24 Stycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enough

I actually use both the NVX JAD 800.4 and Audiofrog 6x9 in the same vehicle. I am quite happy with both.

Chevy Sonic: Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX, JL VX 800/8i, VX 1000/1i,Morel CCWR254 AF GB60, SS D3004, SS 12" 30w/4558T. Chevy Silverado: Factory HU, NAV-TV GM-650, JL TWK, NVX JAD 800.4, NVX JAD 1200.1, Audiofrog GS690, Morel 2.5, SS R2004, DA HO 12"(2)
Stycker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019   #25

As far as deadening/sealing doors,
How do I seal / best practice to seal bigger holes in the doors ?
I currently just used deadener over the entire door area where the speakers mount.so far on passenger door. I still have to do the drivers door.
Just want to do right the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement