2014 Acura RDX with ELS system - sub upgrade - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2019   #1

Rep Power: 14 mcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enough

Default 2014 Acura RDX with ELS system - sub upgrade

We are presently shopping for another car, so I will be in line to inherit our 2014 Acura RDX once I find my wife something else she likes.

I will be glad to get out of my 2009 Ford Fusion, that's for sure.

I have read that the 2014 Acura uses active noise cancellation in the cabin with a couple of mics and the stock sub.

All I want to do is improve the bass in the car. The stock sub is OK once the overall volume of the stereo is up, but I like remote control over bass (and more than is stock).

How complicated will upgrading the sub (I have a mono Clarion Class D amp that pushes 200w into 4 ohms, and 300w into 2 ohms I'd love to reuse) turn out to be?

Can this be done? Does it require DSP?

Thanks all!

Mild basshead from Canada
mcgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019   #2

Rep Power: 14 mcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2014 Acura RDX with ELS system - sub upgrade

I get that most of you would likely rip and replace the whole setup, but I'm looking to just upgrade the sub in this one (replace sub and amp but leave the rest stock).

Is it hard to deal with the active noise cancellation issue?

Would any decent shop know their way around these issues?

Thanks!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Spoke with my local shop, they said it won't be hard to remove the ANC wiring from the circuit. Hopefully does not mess up the handsfree calling mic etc.

Been poking around in the hatch under the floor. Like the space I see after removing the spare tire - other than the metal mount right in the middle of the circle where the tire goes!

Wrecks the easy way of adding a shallow sub - may have to remove that mount, but that involves cutting metal and not sure I'm ready for that commitment.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

I did get an amp installed, repurposed a Clarion XC1120 that I had used in a previous daily driver for better bass.

Pulled signal off the stock sub amp and installed this amp right with the stock amp in the center console.

Currently playing with some small subs a friend gifted me to see if I can make them work. REALLY small, as in 6.75. A set of Kicker's. Surprised me in the 0.7 foot box they are sharing, but not hard to overpower either. Better than the stock 8/10 or whatever that is in the ELS setup.

ANC disabled and bluetooth calling still works fine.

Last edited by mcgsxr; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:13 PM..
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Played around with the dual 6.75's for a bit yesterday. Enjoyable, but not great.

Noticed a local guy selling a JL CP108 (W3 8 inch in a JL ported box).

Now that's what I was looking for. Bass, and in a small package bolted to the rear seat.

Yes I did sharpie the white lettering to help improve the stealth in the hatch!

Darn sideways pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JL sub.jpg (729.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg JL sub installed.jpg (602.3 KB, 5 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement