DSP’s Helix DSP mini vs DSP-408 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 Newbricha will become famous soon enoughNewbricha will become famous soon enoughNewbricha will become famous soon enoughNewbricha will become famous soon enoughNewbricha will become famous soon enoughNewbricha will become famous soon enough

Default DSP’s Helix DSP mini vs DSP-408

Hi all,

In the process of changing over from a rainbow audio passive two way system to an Ausion Vove 3 way active system. Im currently looking for a DSP and am stuck between two of the cheaper options. I can get a DSP-408 for around £170, but i can also pick up a second hand Helix DSP mini for £200. However because im going 3 way active plus a sub, i will need 7 channels, which is beyond the scope of the helix. However im wondering if i would be better off with thw helix running the front 3 ways and just keep the sub individually controlled from my Pioneer SPH-DA120 head unit? Is there much advantage of the sub going through the DSP?

Thanks for the help
Rich
Newbricha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019   #2

12V Company:
Car Toys
Position:
MECP Advanced Certified

Rep Power: 22 mattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: DSP’s Helix DSP mini vs DSP-408

Your car has its own transfer function, which can alter the frequency response of your subs quite drastically. Parametric EQ can mitigate many problems that the environment causes (reflections, loading, cancellations, peaks). DSP control will give you the tools for integrating with your midbass drivers to create the illusion of up front bass. It's something that I would always include in my system.

You should either go with the DSP 408 for this extra control or try to get your hands on a Helix DSP.2 (8 channel), even though you may need to pay a bit extra. It will be well worth it.

iPad Pro dash integration and 7.1 Surround Audiofrog system with fully custom installation and fabrication. CLICK HERE to see the complete build log with pics
mattkim1337 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2019   #3

Rep Power: 0 Newbricha will become famous soon enoughNewbricha will become famous soon enoughNewbricha will become famous soon enoughNewbricha will become famous soon enoughNewbricha will become famous soon enoughNewbricha will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the reply. The DSP.2 would be my ideal but i would have to go new at £430. Would you say the Helix DSP.2 is worth 3x more than the DSP-408? The main thing drawing to to the Helix is the inbuilt RTA functionality to aid a relative novice with setup.

Thanks
Rich
Newbricha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019   #4

Rep Power: 14 Fish-N-Chips will become famous soon enoughFish-N-Chips will become famous soon enoughFish-N-Chips will become famous soon enoughFish-N-Chips will become famous soon enoughFish-N-Chips will become famous soon enoughFish-N-Chips will become famous soon enough

I have the DSP 408 and, although it is my first dsp, it had been awesome. Not sure what level of tuning your going to, but there are only a few advanced features it doesn't have. And it's cheap...
Fish-N-Chips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019   #5

Rep Power: 0 tacofox will become famous soon enoughtacofox will become famous soon enoughtacofox will become famous soon enoughtacofox will become famous soon enoughtacofox will become famous soon enoughtacofox will become famous soon enough

I just bought the DSP 408 over my second choice of the c-dsp 6x8. It will be getting here later this week so here's hoping it works well! I will report back with my findings
tacofox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019   #6

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 89 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbricha View Post
Thanks for the reply. The DSP.2 would be my ideal but i would have to go new at £430. Would you say the Helix DSP.2 is worth 3x more than the DSP-408? The main thing drawing to to the Helix is the inbuilt RTA functionality to aid a relative novice with setup.

Thanks
Rich
Absolutely. In every way

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 127 Sine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enough

At the same token, I would say the 408 is 3 x better than nothing!

DNX 5120, MS-8, Scanspeak Illuminator R3004/6020, Focal 5w2, Morel CAW938, IDMAX12 V3, PPI Ax400's + JBL 1201.1 II
Sine Swept is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019   #8

Rep Power: 6 SiW80 will become famous soon enoughSiW80 will become famous soon enoughSiW80 will become famous soon enoughSiW80 will become famous soon enoughSiW80 will become famous soon enoughSiW80 will become famous soon enough

Default DSPís Helix DSP mini vs DSP-408

Depends how you will connect to the DSP - analogue, digital or Bluetooth.

If digital then Helix for sure, but if Bluetooth the the Dayton is hard to beat with the app

Rich - if your in the UK there is a Dayton on eBay from a UK seller for £150 and youíll only need the Bluetooth module

Also, get on Talkaudio

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SiW80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 113 ryanr7386 will become famous soon enoughryanr7386 will become famous soon enoughryanr7386 will become famous soon enoughryanr7386 will become famous soon enoughryanr7386 will become famous soon enoughryanr7386 will become famous soon enoughryanr7386 will become famous soon enough

OP, Pardon the HiJack of your thread but if your interested, I have Two of the DSP-408's i'm going to be letting go of. One slightly used, one New. Hit me up.

1994 Ford Thunderbird SC System - Alpine 7909, Helix DSP Pro, ADS MX Amps & ADS Speakers. On Going Build
ryanr7386 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 187 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: DSPís Helix DSP mini vs DSP-408

Can you find a used HelixDSP? The original one would be on my list.

2018 Crosstrek
Helix P SIX Mk2-AF Gs690 GB15-SI RM12- Zapco Z-2kd
miniSQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement