2018 Durango build. Need opinions/advice on DSP's,Speakers and Setup - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #26

Rep Power: 0 Fro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2018 Durango build. Need opinions/advice on DSP's,Speakers and Setup

Furyan, using that harness that I linked you should be able to break into the factory signal/speaker lines. The lines that you do not need to use you can hook up together and let the factory system continue doing it's thing. For the speakers that you are replacing you can cap the incoming lines then take the speaker cables from your amp/crossover and hook up to the appropriate speaker cables on the 'output' side of the harness sending that signal back out to the drivers.

At least that is the way that I understand it to work.
Fro414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Fro414 For This Useful Post:
Furyan (1 Week Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #27

Rep Power: 12 EmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2018 Durango build. Need opinions/advice on DSP's,Speakers and Setup

For you guys using the pac amppro how did you disconnect the factory speakers so sound only came from the upgraded?
EmoJackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #28

Rep Power: 7 SinisterDodge will become famous soon enoughSinisterDodge will become famous soon enoughSinisterDodge will become famous soon enoughSinisterDodge will become famous soon enoughSinisterDodge will become famous soon enoughSinisterDodge will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoJackson View Post
For you guys using the pac amppro how did you disconnect the factory speakers so sound only came from the upgraded?

I just unplugged both harnesses from the factor amp! Works great for me!
SinisterDodge is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SinisterDodge For This Useful Post:
EmoJackson (1 Week Ago)

Old 1 Week Ago   #29

Rep Power: 4 Furyan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enough

Anything else I need? Got tools,sound deadner coming in,spare wire. I had an idea pop up and need to know if it would work. The sub I have now is good but not loud enough at times Jl Powerwedge. So my thought is putting in another sub and amp for the times I want more volume. Is it possible to hook up two paths,one for each sub setup? Perhaps some type of switch that could cut power to either sub setup when I want one or the other? Sometimes I need the trunk space and would need to take the bigger sub enclosure out and not worry about power running through that path. If so what pieces of equipment would I need? Above is what I have so far plus the Pac harnesses. Thanks.
Furyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #30

Rep Power: 12 EmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterDodge View Post
I just unplugged both harnesses from the factor amp! Works great for me!
exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks!
EmoJackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to EmoJackson For This Useful Post:
SinisterDodge (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #31

Rep Power: 0 Fro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enough

You can set up a relay for the remote turn on for the amps and have a trigger for it up front if you need it on the fly or in the back if just needed when removing the larger enclosure.

For enclosure removal you might want to look into the new magnetic cups that Steve Meade is making. Not sure when it is being released but he seems close.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 1 Week Ago   #32

Rep Power: 4 Furyan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro414 View Post
You can set up a relay for the remote turn on for the amps and have a trigger for it up front if you need it on the fly or in the back if just needed when removing the larger enclosure.

For enclosure removal you might want to look into the new magnetic cups that Steve Meade is making. Not sure when it is being released but he seems close.

Okay great. So the relay would be run between the HU and sub amp then. And with that relay engaged that would stop the amp from turning on hence no power running through it correct? Could you link me to a correct relay by chance and the switch I'd need,just want to make sure I got the right parts for this. And for the sub line out from the PAC I would just need a splitter inline and I'd be good to go?

Will this switch work? https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...MIBRBSB19.html

Last edited by Furyan; 1 Week Ago at 09:26 AM..
Old 1 Week Ago   #33

On second thought, you could likely just use a rocker switch on the remote wire to the second sub amp. Splitter should be fine but depending on equipment could have some effect on the voltage (could be little to none).

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rocker+sw...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Old 1 Week Ago   #34

Quote:
On second thought, you could likely just use a rocker switch on the remote wire to the second sub amp. Splitter should be fine but depending on equipment could have some effect on the voltage (could be little to none).

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rocker+sw...f=nb_sb_noss_2
So your suggesting the rocker switch without a relay?
Old 1 Week Ago   #35

Yep, it is such a low voltage wire. Mount the switch in the rear and split the 12v turn on going to just that second amp. When you want to remove the second sub just flip the switch to 'break' the line so the amp never turns on and remove the enclosure.

Old 1 Week Ago   #36

Quote:
Yep, it is such a low voltage wire. Mount the switch in the rear and split the 12v turn on going to just that second amp. When you want to remove the second sub just flip the switch to 'break' the line so the amp never turns on and remove the enclosure.

Awesome! So I should do the same for both amp/sub setups them. As running both side by side might not sound great from what I've read. One being a sealed shallow JL 10 (Powerwedge+ 10TW1)and the other for the time being would be a ported JL 10 (HO wedge W3v3),they would cause phase issues I believe.
Old 1 Week Ago   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 947 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyan View Post
Awesome! So I should do the same for both amp/sub setups them. As running both side by side might not sound great from what I've read. One being a sealed shallow JL 10 (Powerwedge+ 10TW1)and the other for the time being would be a ported JL 10 (HO wedge W3v3),they would cause phase issues I believe.

Yes, do not do this. One or the other.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's
2018 WRX, Helix V Eight and G-One, AD W600, AP AR3 & AR20, AE AV10H-D2
fourthmeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #38

Yeah it will likely be sub-optimal (pun intended). If your point is to keep some bass with the large enclosure removed (iirc you said the wedge sits where the factory sub was) then just use another rocker switch or a single three way. That way you can control both remote turn on leads. When the larger enclosure is in, turn off the wedge, and vice verse. It complicates things a bit but if you really want to have both in there and you take out the larger enough that it would bother you not having <80Hz playing during those times then by all means play around till you get what you want.
Old 1 Week Ago   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 947 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

You know what would be really cool is to have a loopback interrupt with a high-current molex connector. Plug the molex in, and circuitry for the main sub amp kicks on. Unplug and the other amp kicks on instead. Automatic.

Of course, we're talking about a vehicle I built a system in. I would absolutely take the cargo area and build a system exactly like I had, only better, since I've learned a lot about fabrication since that time. I took no space that didn't need taking, never had to pull the enclosure, etc because it was all under the factory cover space.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's

Last edited by fourthmeal; 1 Week Ago at 11:17 AM..
Old 1 Week Ago   #40

Yes but Lanson that is starting to get into a bit too much circuitry for most of us

For what I understand Furyan is attempting to do I would think the switch(s) for remote leads should suffice.

Old 1 Week Ago   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes but Lanson that is starting to get into a bit too much circuitry for most of us

For what I understand Furyan is attempting to do I would think the switch(s) for remote leads should suffice.

I think it only seems difficult. A relay with the normally closed position turns on amp 1, and when a cable is plugged in, this closes the loop on the same relay and turns on amp instead.

At any rate, why not just plan on building an enclosure in the cargo area (which is plenty of space in a Durango) to the spec of your preferred sub?

Old 1 Week Ago   #42

Thanks for the input guys. At first all I wanted to do was replace the factory sub,figured I'd be good with that. Again my main goal was to keep everything stock as could be as I use the cargo area consistently hauling various things and storing various things. Once the sub was switched out I noticed what seems to be a lack of mids,not sure of the range,but some of its came back as I break in the new sub. That led me to wanting to change out the doors with something with more kick,punch and clarity. Now lately I feel I need a bit more of that rumble feeling from the sub,the Powerwedge isn't quite enough at times which lead me to this dual setup. Man did things change in the last month and a half lol. And joining this forum has been an enabler lol but a good one! But anyways to answer fourthmeal,I'd go full on cargo build but I use the space in back regularly. Again thanks for the guidance and advice,I'm hesitant to start this as it is my first time installing everything,I've only ever switched out HUs and speakers so this is a huge project for me,really wanna get things right the first time.

Last edited by Furyan; 6 Days Ago at 11:10 PM..
Old 1 Week Ago   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. At first all I wanted to do was replace the factory sub,figured I'd be good with that. Again my main goal was to keep everything stuck as could be as I use the cargo area consistently hauling various things and storing various things. Once the sub was switched out I noticed what seems to be a lack of mids,not sure of the range,but some of its came back as I break in the new sub. That led me to wanting to change out the doors with something with more kick,punch and clarity. Now lately I feel I need a bit more of that rumble feeling from the sub,the Powerwedge isn't quite enough at times which lead me to this dual setup. Man did things change in the last month and a half lol. And joining this forum has been an enabler lol but a good one! But anyways to answer fourthmeal,I'd go full on cargo build but I use the space in back regularly. Again thanks for the guidance and advice,I'm hesitant to start this as it is my first time installing everything,I've only ever switched out HUs and speakers so this is a huge project for me,really wanna get things right the first time.

Understood, so you're saying that you use the area under the cargo lid, plus the primary cargo area routinely?

Old 1 Week Ago   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthmeal View Post
Understood, so you're saying that you use the area under the cargo lid, plus the primary cargo area routinely?
Yes under the cargo lid I carry emergency medical supplies/kits and survival kit type things in case I ever get stuck in snow or stranded anywhere really. Being a family man and owning the biggest vehicle with most space we use my ride mostly for transporting well everything that takes alot of space. Not to mention family vacations and the bags n bags of clothes/shoes my girl takes lol. I'd love a full trunk enclosure but I'm not nearly as much a bass head as I used to be.

Last edited by Furyan; 6 Days Ago at 11:11 PM..
Old 1 Week Ago   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes under the cargo lid I carry emergency medical supplies/kits and survival kit type things in case I ever get stuck in snow or stranded anywhere really. Being a family man and owning the biggest vehicle with most space we use my ride mostly for transporting well everything that alot of space. Not to mention family vacations and the bags n bags of clothes/shoes my girl takes lol. I'd love a full trunk enclosure but I'm not nearly as much a bass head as I used to be.

OK, now I fully understand.

Are you utilizing any of the cargo space under the driver's seat? It isn't massive but it can hold some equipment, especially items rarely used but important to keep. That's where I put my survival/medical stuff (and a bunch of detailing supplies. Its the same size and shape as the battery tray under the passenger seat. Not saying you'd get all your gear in there, but maybe be able to reduce some.

Old 1 Week Ago   #46

Quote:
OK, now I fully understand.

Are you utilizing any of the cargo space under the driver's seat? It isn't massive but it can hold some equipment, especially items rarely used but important to keep. That's where I put my survival/medical stuff (and a bunch of detailing supplies. Its the same size and shape as the battery tray under the passenger seat. Not saying you'd get all your gear in there, but maybe be able to reduce some.
I did think about that spot but haven't even looked under there yet lol. Might be enough to hold my things
Old 1 Week Ago   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
I did think about that spot but haven't even looked under there yet lol. Might be enough to hold my things

That would be a breakthrough! Another way to go, more of a compromise, is to build the under-deck area to handle a bit of cargo space and a bit of sub space. There's quite a bit of room as long as you have shallow-ish type subs. I used Sundown SD3's, but there's others that will do it. The space isn't all too bad to use, especially if you're handy with fiberglass (which I abhor and avoid at all costs.)

Anyway, a pair of 10" SD3's on ample power never had me wishing for more. Maybe something similar would suffice for you too?

Old 1 Week Ago   #48

Quote:
That would be a breakthrough! Another way to go, more of a compromise, is to build the under-deck area to handle a bit of cargo space and a bit of sub space. There's quite a bit of room as long as you have shallow-ish type subs. I used Sundown SD3's, but there's others that will do it. The space isn't all too bad to use, especially if you're handy with fiberglass (which I abhor and avoid at all costs.)

Anyway, a pair of 10" SD3's on ample power never had me wishing for more. Maybe something similar would suffice for you too?
Shit another avenue to look into,just when I thought I'd figured it out lol. I'm gonna have to rethink this now. So there are 10" shallow speakers that knock hard? This powerwedge shallow JL is decent but it leaves a bit to be desired,need to feel that bass.
Old 1 Week Ago   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Shit another avenue to look into,just when I thought I'd figured it out lol. I'm gonna have to rethink this now. So there are 10" shallow speakers that knock hard? This powerwedge shallow JL is decent but it leaves a bit to be desired,need to feel that bass.

In short, YES. I took the same SD3 pair and stuffed them in a .8 Qtc box in my WRX just recently, and it sounds fantastic. Now, physics being what they are, a pair of 10's has a limited amount of cone area. But 14mm of clean Xmax one-way @ 70% magnet strength (thus still low distortion) does do a lot of good. Model them against what the powerwedge does in a sim program and see for yourself what the potential difference could be.

The SD3 is a shallow-ish sub, with no rear vent so you can build the box right up against the back of the sub. That pays dividends because you can get more shallow than you'd otherwise consider. Also the surround is inverted, so you can put a grille pretty close to the cone and no harm will come to the sub. I've been using SD3's for a long time, and SD2's prior. I'm a fan. In fact, the SD and SA lines of Sundown are top choices, for me and the builds I end up doing. Simple, durable, and effective.

Old 6 Days Ago   #50

Quote:
In short, YES. I took the same SD3 pair and stuffed them in a .8 Qtc box in my WRX just recently, and it sounds fantastic. Now, physics being what they are, a pair of 10's has a limited amount of cone area. But 14mm of clean Xmax one-way @ 70% magnet strength (thus still low distortion) does do a lot of good. Model them against what the powerwedge does in a sim program and see for yourself what the potential difference could be.

The SD3 is a shallow-ish sub, with no rear vent so you can build the box right up against the back of the sub. That pays dividends because you can get more shallow than you'd otherwise consider. Also the surround is inverted, so you can put a grille pretty close to the cone and no harm will come to the sub. I've been using SD3's for a long time, and SD2's prior. I'm a fan. In fact, the SD and SA lines of Sundown are top choices, for me and the builds I end up doing. Simple, durable, and effective.
Sounds like great subs,would like to hear em. One of the problems around here (Omaha) there isnt a whole lot of variety at the audio shops,95% carry only JL,Kenwood,Kicker,RF,Pioneer and MTX,also a bunch of budget garbage brands. Never even seen ID,Morel,Sundown,Audiofrog,HAT and all the other great brands Ive learned about here. Makes it hard to choose cause I cant listen to em,so Im buying off user reviews and blind faith. I think Ill install the doors now and run this setup for the summer and decide then what my next steps will be. Wish me luck,Im sure Ill be back with questions with the intall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement