2018 Durango build. Need opinions/advice on DSP's,Speakers and Setup - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2019   #1

Rep Power: 4 Furyan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enough

Smile 2018 Durango build. Need opinions/advice on DSP's,Speakers and Setup

New 2018 Dodge Durango build. I have most of my equipment purchased and a bit of it installed. My plan for this install is to keep everything stock looking inside aka stealth hidden but with a decent audio boost from aftermarket gear. Currently have the Beats audio system Uconnect 8.4 but will be switching most of it out in phases. Durango has the entertainment system in it as well so will need rear speakers.

Equipment going in:

PAC AmpPRo
DSP (Undecided)
Fronts: Morel Tempo Ultras 692's
Rears: Undecided
Focal FDP 4.600
JL Powerwedge+
KnoKnoise Kolossus

1.Would a DSP even benefit this setup?

2. Explain to me active vs passive setup please. I believe what Ill be running is passive since I have one channel to each door speaker,but nothing to the individual tweeters?

3.For the rear doors would you suggest a fullrange speaker or a midbass speaker? Keep in mind it will be used for Blurays,movies ect. Im mainly concerned if the midbass speakers have a decent highend that can be heard,sub and Morels should be able to handle the lows correct? If so I might take that route as I digg some midbass!

4. What are some decent midbass and fullrange 6.5's out there? Good brands? Looking to spend $150ish or less if possible for a pair.

5. If no DSP is needed what are some good alternatives for EQing? Would like to have the option to switch EQ settings for Hip Hop listening and Metal listening. Uconnect 8.4 is a crap radio and cant do this.

6. Any other advice,opinions or anything I may be overlooking?

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Furyan; 04-15-2019 at 10:45 PM..
Furyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019   #2

Rep Power: 4 Furyan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2018 Durango build. Need opinions/advice on DSP's,Speakers and Setup

Updated post. Anyone??
Old 04-15-2019   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 fischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2018 Durango build. Need opinions/advice on DSP's,Speakers and Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyan View Post
1.Would a DSP even benefit this setup?

2. Explain to me active vs passive setup please. I believe what Ill be running is passive since I have one channel to each door speaker,but nothing to the individual tweeters?

3.For the rear doors would you suggest a fullrange speaker or a midbass speaker? Keep in mind it will be used for Blurays,movies ect. Im mainly concerned if the midbass speakers have a decent highend that can be heard,sub and Morels should be able to handle the lows correct? If so I might take that route as I digg some midbass!

4. What are some decent midbass and fullrange 6.5's out there? Good brands? Looking to spend $125 or less if possible for a pair.

5. If no DSP is needed what are some good alternatives for EQing? Would like to have the option to switch EQ settings for Hip Hop listening and Metal listening. Uconnect 8.4 is a crap radio and cant do this.

6. Any other advice,opinions or anything I may be overlooking?
1) Yes, a DSP would benefit the setup. It will give you significantly more tuning ability.

2) Active, every speaker is powered on it's own individual amplified channel with cross-overs handled via DSP or on-board amplifier. Benefits include individual/adjustable time alignment, eq, crossover per speaker.
Passive, multiple speakers powered off of one channel with crossover handled via a passive crossover between amp and speakers. (Typical component set using crossover supplied with speakers). Benefit, ease of install, but loose benefits of active.

3) I'll let others with more experience recommend here.

4) Lots of good options for midbass and full rangers. Check out Parts-Express and Madisound for drivers. Dayton makes some things that are affordable and may fit your needs.

5) This is why I would recommend a DSP. It's the easiest and best way to implement what your asking for.

Josh
fischman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019   #4

Rep Power: 7 SinisterDodge will become famous soon enoughSinisterDodge will become famous soon enoughSinisterDodge will become famous soon enoughSinisterDodge will become famous soon enoughSinisterDodge will become famous soon enoughSinisterDodge will become famous soon enough

Following
SinisterDodge is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2019   #5

Josh thanks for the clarification and info! I really want to set myself up for a great system now and be able to upgrade and tweak my setup in the future,with the equipment I have. As of now everything will fit totally hidden with no mods or space lost whatsoever which is great. Only thing I'll have to move is the tire jack assembly to a storage cubby.

If anyone has an opinion for great rearfill midrange or full range speakers please chime in! Again I'm looking to spend around $150 for the pair.
Old 04-16-2019   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 bmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with what Fischman said and, I'm no expert by any means but I'll chime in a bit.

If you're wanting the rears to do movies for kids, passengers, etc, go full range. Most people (including myself) don't use rearfill because it pulls the stage back from the dash. But, that's a big vehicle and passengers (I hear) deserve some sound. If you try to integrate additional midbass in the rear and keep a decent tune and stage, it'll be a nightmare. If it were me, I'd tune the front stage/sub independently with the rear channels muted (on your DSP preset) and run that unless you have passengers. Then have a different preset on your DSP with the rears unmuted that you can switch to when you have people in the back. I never really look for full-range drivers so I can't speak to any specific models but, Madisound is a good source I would think. As far as a DSP, I'm still testing a bunch trying to find what I like. Putting my fourth one in this weekend. My only advice is find one that has a lot of info on here and good customer service. If you are planning on setting up different presets like I suggest, get one that has a remote that will allow switching from the driver's seat. Helix, Mosconi, etc.

2014 CAMRY XLE - iPad Pro -- Helix DSP Pro -- Rodek R680N -- SI BM65 mkii -- Scanspeak 10f/8424G -- d3004/6020 // Arc KS 1200.1 -- (2) JL 10w7AE
bmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2019   #7

Bmiller thanks for the input. I will check out those websites and see what I can find. There are so many speaker options out there,I'm trying to narrow it down. So far I think what would work well for now is 6.5 full range coaxial,a pivoting tweeter would be great if I could find that. I see Polk has the Db652's but there are very mixed reviews on them. Anyone have experience with them? As far as DSP's Daytons seems like a decent kit to learn on. miniDSP and JLs offering look like good contenders too. I'll have to check out the ones you mentioned.
Old 04-17-2019   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 bmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond repute

Oddly, those are three DSP's I have no experience with. But, from the chatter on here, I'd say look hard at the miniDSP. It seems well respected and has a reputation for being user-friendly. If you're wanting a coax with an adjustable tweeter, look at Focal PC165. I ran them for a little while to have decent sound while I collected gear. You can get them pretty cheap, they have decent sound and probably would be a better option than the DB series.

2014 CAMRY XLE - iPad Pro -- Helix DSP Pro -- Rodek R680N -- SI BM65 mkii -- Scanspeak 10f/8424G -- d3004/6020 // Arc KS 1200.1 -- (2) JL 10w7AE
bmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019   #9

Ill look into those focals. Anyone have experience with the HAT Mirus M61-2's?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10

Decided to roll with the HATs for rear doors. Never heard any in person but on paper they look decent.

So far
UConnect 8.4
PAC AmpPRo
DSP (Undecided)
Fronts: Morel Tempo Ultras 692's
Rears: HAT Mirus M61-2's
Focal FDP 4.600
JL Powerwedge+
KnoKnoise Kolossus

Pac and JL PW installed,speakers amp and KnowKnoise is next. DSP whenever I figure out which I want to roll with,will go in last.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11

Would you guys suggest I get speaker baffles and fastrings or the like on my door speakers? I dont know much about them really. Is it a good idea to incase a speaker fully in foam or silicon baffles? Any issues with heat doing this? And what are some solid performers for baffles and foam rings? Thanks.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 947 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

I did 6x9 FAST rings on my Durango, worked great.

I ran an MS-8 with my Durango build, with a pretty unique setup utilizing the D-pillars and rear speakers in a shared-surround output, with 2-way front and full-range Wavecor center.

If I were doing it differently or more important, in this day and age, I'd go with Helix instead of JBL due to availability.

My build is under my name if you need pic guidance with things. Mine was a 2015 "Beats" R/T.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's
2018 WRX, Helix V Eight and G-One, AD W600, AP AR3 & AR20, AE AV10H-D2
fourthmeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to fourthmeal For This Useful Post:
oekundar (18 Hours Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13

Rep Power: 0 Fro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Would you guys suggest I get speaker baffles and fastrings or the like on my door speakers? I dont know much about them really. Is it a good idea to incase a speaker fully in foam or silicon baffles? Any issues with heat doing this? And what are some solid performers for baffles and foam rings? Thanks.
Should not cause any issues. You will likely have to trim the rings down some to make them all fit. Also be sure to grab yourself some gasketing tape.

amazon.com/Road-Kill-RKFR69-Speaker-Enhancer/dp/B0768MVCCR/

amazon.com/Parts-Express-Speaker-Gasketing-Tape/dp/B0002ZPLPM
Fro414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 947 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

oh per the ID X69 woofers, and later Audiofrog GS690 woofers I installed in my Durango, NO speaker baffle is necessary. Speaker FAST ring, highly recommended or use equiv product to gasket the speaker to the grille opening. And deaden the door REALLY well, these Durango doors like to squeak and rattle when you least desire them, especially if you cross lower.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's
oekundar (18 Hours Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15

Thanks guys really appreciate the help and input I'm thinking of setting the HPF at around 65ish for the doors,that a good starting point? I've read here some like lower,some like higher. Since I have a sub I'd figure that's a good start. Thanks.

@ fourthmeal I'll check out ur build,thanks.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16

Rep Power: 0 Fro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enoughFro414 will become famous soon enough

Furyan, Fourthmeal's build is also over on the Durango forums (Lanson) as well as MoparMike's. Some similar and different approaches but both chock full of good information.

65Hz is probably just fine as long as you have things setup/tuned correctly, since you are going with a DSP you will be able to really tailor the sound to your needs. I will say that for my rig 50-60Hz likes to attack the arm rest area (window and door lock buttons like to buzz) and as you start going higher the buzzing seems to move up through the door and B pillar. I only have CLD and FastRings and likely need more. Once I get a DSP and swap out amps I will likely start with the 'default' of 80Hz and play around.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

That is correct, my build is over on the Durango forum as well as here. I would say 70hz would be a good starting point for cross. The AF's I had were crossed around there, and had no issue (once the doors were fully deadened.) Morel shouldn't be a problem either.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro414 View Post
Furyan, Fourthmeal's build is also over on the Durango forums (Lanson) as well as MoparMike's. Some similar and different approaches but both chock full of good information.

65Hz is probably just fine as long as you have things setup/tuned correctly, since you are going with a DSP you will be able to really tailor the sound to your needs. I will say that for my rig 50-60Hz likes to attack the arm rest area (window and door lock buttons like to buzz) and as you start going higher the buzzing seems to move up through the door and B pillar. I only have CLD and FastRings and likely need more. Once I get a DSP and swap out amps I will likely start with the 'default' of 80Hz and play around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthmeal View Post
That is correct, my build is over on the Durango forum as well as here. I would say 70hz would be a good starting point for cross. The AF's I had were crossed around there, and had no issue (once the doors were fully deadened.) Morel shouldn't be a problem either.
Ahhh okay your Lanson from the Durango forums. Sweet I have read over your build thread many times and actually am gonna apply my Knoknoise based off of your pics and info so big thanks for that! Your pics and breakdowns have really helped me shape my system so far. I may have to pic your brain some more as this project progresses. This will be my first attempt to put together a full system in my car,minus the PAC and JL Powerwedge which I had installed professionally. Running any wires is the only part Im worried about. I assume Ill need to run new wires for the doors or no? If the stock wiring is decent I could just roll with it but I want a really solid foundation as Ill have this vehicle for 8-10 years. If so, where is the path of the stock wiring for the doors ran? Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Furyan For This Useful Post:
fourthmeal (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Ahhh okay your Lanson from the Durango forums. Sweet I have read over your build thread many times and actually am gonna apply my Knoknoise based off of your pics and info so big thanks for that! Your pics and breakdowns have really helped me shape my system so far. I may have to pic your brain some more as this project progresses. This will be my first attempt to put together a full system in my car,minus the PAC and JL Powerwedge which I had installed professionally. Running any wires is the only part Im worried about. I assume Ill need to run new wires for the doors or no? If the stock wiring is decent I could just roll with it but I want a really solid foundation as Ill have this vehicle for 8-10 years. If so, where is the path of the stock wiring for the doors ran? Thanks!

I didn't run wires to the doors, but I did prep for it. I ran wires from the rear to the front through the rails to the kick panel area and coiled it up, then promptly forgot about it. I thought I might have to run fresh wire but I ended up tapping off the output from the back left quarter, where the processor/amp is from the factory system. You could do either, the stock wiring is more than sufficient for any 6x9 on the market.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20

No need to run new wires for this kind of setup. Also no need to splice with this...

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-WqTsyA...o-Harness.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Fro414 For This Useful Post:
chithead (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #21

Rep Power: 7 SinisterDodge will become famous soon enoughSinisterDodge will become famous soon enoughSinisterDodge will become famous soon enoughSinisterDodge will become famous soon enoughSinisterDodge will become famous soon enoughSinisterDodge will become famous soon enough

I ran a digital signal from my PAC AMP Pro from the head unit to my amp NO splicing no tampering with stock wiring clean distortionless signal worked wonders kept all my chimes and Bluetooth on my 18 Durango
SinisterDodge is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Would have been nice to have in 2015, tell ya that much!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro414 View Post
No need to run new wires for this kind of setup. Also no need to splice with this...

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-WqTsyA...o-Harness.html
Okay great. So with this integrated what about the center channel and rear surround speakers? Can those be retained with this? Aftermarket amp for the door speakers and sub and the factory amp for center channel and surround in back for chimes?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #24

I ended up purchasing that wire harness above. I see part of it is suppose to hook up to passive crossovers,so would it be best for me to mount the crossovers in the rear and run the wires to the front or vise versa? I've seen people mount crossovers in the doors themselves but I'm afraid of the extra rattle it may cause.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
I ended up purchasing that wire harness above. I see part of it is suppose to hook up to passive crossovers,so would it be best for me to mount the crossovers in the rear and run the wires to the front or vise versa? I've seen people mount crossovers in the doors themselves but I'm afraid of the extra rattle it may cause.

Never mount your crossovers in the door. It is an extreme environment and most crossovers aren't built to take it, for long. I haven't run a (passive) crossover in a long time, but when I have I usually installed the crossover in somewhere deep in the dash. It can also go with the amp rack if you want to run wire from it to the speakers. Advantage there is if you go active, the wiring is already done, so less to do later.

Furyan (1 Week Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement