2016 VW Jetta Budget Build - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 jbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enough

Default 2016 VW Jetta Budget Build

I am starting from a stock stereo system which is terrible at best. I plan to keep the factory head unit because of some decent features like bluetooth, touchscreen, and backup camera. As well as trying to stay budget minded and keeping the factory look.

Component parts list that isn't set in stone:
Audiocontrol LC7i
Pioneer GM-D9705 5 channel amp
Alpine R-S65C 6.5" components(2 sets)
1 Rockford Fosgate P3D4 12" in a ported enclosure

Since I am getting my signal from a stock head unit, then getting mixed, summoned, accubased, and sprinkled with fairy dust, does it make sense to go with the high res versions of the Alpines(R-S65C.2) and the Pioneer(GM-DX975)? About a $300 jump in budget. Or would I just be polishing a turd?

Also, if anyone has alternative components in the same price range they would suggest, let me know.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
jbird61801 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019   #2

Rep Power: 59 MrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2016 VW Jetta Budget Build

Get a cheap DSP instead of the line converter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGreen83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 114 UNFORGIVEN has a spectacular aura aboutUNFORGIVEN has a spectacular aura aboutUNFORGIVEN has a spectacular aura aboutUNFORGIVEN has a spectacular aura aboutUNFORGIVEN has a spectacular aura aboutUNFORGIVEN has a spectacular aura aboutUNFORGIVEN has a spectacular aura aboutUNFORGIVEN has a spectacular aura aboutUNFORGIVEN has a spectacular aura aboutUNFORGIVEN has a spectacular aura about

I second that. A DSP would be the best move to make your setup dialed in to your liking.

Currently: *Hybrid Audio Legathia 3-Way Active Front Stage * (2) Morel Ultimo 12's * (2) Arc Audio 1100.1 XDi v2 (Strapped @1ohm) * (1) Arc Audio 1200.6 * RF 360.3 DSP*
UNFORGIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 367 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

If you need summing to get a full-range signal from your OEM head unit, you might need the AC LC7i, or a JL Audio FiX 82. If not, then as others suggested, I would get a DSP, which will be the single largest factor in obtaining good SQ after your front component choice.

And if the second set of components is for the rear, I would skip those and just use the stock rear speakers. Put the money saved into better front components and sound deadening, and/or a DSP.

DIYMA member "SkizeR" has a Preorder Discount going on right now for his ResoNix sound deadening products.

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...-now-open.html
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Rep Power: 0 jbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enough

Well thanks for the trip down the DSP rabbit hole guys. Its been a while since I put a system together and I had no idea that running a DSP is pretty much the new standard. In other words if you don't have a DSP you ain't sh**. Haha. My first search led me to the Dayton DSP thread. After a couple minutes of reading, you guys were speaking a different language. Was ready to say screw it and go passive. But after many threads, reviews, YouTube videos, etc, I ordered up the Dayton and I'll be livin that DSP life.

Also ordered the pioneer GM-D9605. Still undecided on my front stage components and hoping you can weigh in. My musical tastes are rap, rock, and EDM. Would like to be able to play it loud with clean sound. I haven't heard most of these but because of good reviews and price point the finalists are:

ID CXS64 V2
Morel tempo ultra 602
Diamond Hex S600S(old school but BNIB)
Hertz MPK 165P.3

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

No opinions?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Rep Power: 29 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird61801 View Post
I am starting from a stock stereo system which is terrible at best. I plan to keep the factory head unit because of some decent features like bluetooth, touchscreen, and backup camera. As well as trying to stay budget minded and keeping the factory look.

Component parts list that isn't set in stone:
Audiocontrol LC7i
Pioneer GM-D9705 5 channel amp
Alpine R-S65C 6.5" components(2 sets)
1 Rockford Fosgate P3D4 12" in a ported enclosure

Since I am getting my signal from a stock head unit, then getting mixed, summoned, accubased, and sprinkled with fairy dust, does it make sense to go with the high res versions of the Alpines(R-S65C.2) and the Pioneer(GM-DX975)? About a $300 jump in budget. Or would I just be polishing a turd?
Don't buy any speaker or amp that says "High-Res", the only things that should be "High-Res" would be a source unit that plays high res files or a dsp that has a high bit-depth and/or sampling frequency. High-Res speakers and amps are *usually* the same stuff at a higher price.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Rep Power: 29 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well thanks for the trip down the DSP rabbit hole guys. Its been a while since I put a system together and I had no idea that running a DSP is pretty much the new standard. In other words if you don't have a DSP you ain't sh**. Haha. My first search led me to the Dayton DSP thread. After a couple minutes of reading, you guys were speaking a different language. Was ready to say screw it and go passive. But after many threads, reviews, YouTube videos, etc, I ordered up the Dayton and I'll be livin that DSP life.

Also ordered the pioneer GM-D9605. Still undecided on my front stage components and hoping you can weigh in. My musical tastes are rap, rock, and EDM. Would like to be able to play it loud with clean sound. I haven't heard most of these but because of good reviews and price point the finalists are:

ID CXS64 V2
Morel tempo ultra 602
Diamond Hex S600S(old school but BNIB)
Hertz MPK 165P.3

Even though I haven't heard any of the equipment you listed, they're all good brands.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 367 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Which OEM head unit do you have? I have a 2014 GTI, and although the OEM head unit my car came with cannot do this, the next model up allows you to get a full-range, unprocessed sound with some programing. Some DSPs will de-EQ a signal, others don't. The Dayton DSP does not, so you'll want a clean signal to it.

Do a little research on the OEM head unit, try to find the model number, mine is the RDC310, and it's crap, but the RDC510 and others can be programed with Vagcom for a clean, unprocessed signal. I don't know what OEM head units were being used in 2016, but a little research could potentially improve the final system dramatically.
gijoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to gijoe For This Useful Post:
bbfoto (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
Which OEM head unit do you have? I have a 2014 GTI, and although the OEM head unit my car came with cannot do this, the next model up allows you to get a full-range, unprocessed sound with some programing. Some DSPs will de-EQ a signal, others don't. The Dayton DSP does not, so you'll want a clean signal to it.

Do a little research on the OEM head unit, try to find the model number, mine is the RDC310, and it's crap, but the RDC510 and others can be programed with Vagcom for a clean, unprocessed signal. I don't know what OEM head units were being used in 2016, but a little research could potentially improve the final system dramatically.
Thanks for the heads up. I saw this on Ebay, it's the radio I have in my car as far as I can tell. I don't see either of those model numbers though.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11

Finally after a lot of research, deliberation, and second guessing, I pulled the trigger and ordered most of the goodies. Everything is on the way delivering early next week.
Dayton DSP-408 w/ bluetooth dongle and wired remote - $200.
Pioneer GM-D9705 5 ch amp - $230.
Hertz Mille MPK 165P.3 6.5" 2 way components(speaker adapters included) - $300.
Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 in a 1.8 cu ft sound ordnance ported enclosure - $270.
Knuconceptz 4 gauge OFC amp kit - $60.
Ballistic sound deadening(20 sq ft) - $80.
Chinese fast rings - $10.
Stinger RCAs - $30.
Installation - $400.
No rear fill planned right now.
I know, I'm a cheapass and some people spend $1600+ on front stage alone. Hoping I can get some decent sound out of this setup.
One question. I recently switched cell carriers and with my galaxy S10+ I got a membership to Tidal premium, and the ability to stream some good quality signal without having to worry about the crappy frequency response of the VW factory head unit. What is the cleanest way to send the signal to the DSP. Just use the Bluetooth interface? Or phone Aux to RCA? Or even phone USB-C to RCA?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jbird61801 For This Useful Post:
ckirocz28 (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12

Quote:
One question. I recently switched cell carriers and with my galaxy S10+ I got a membership to Tidal premium, and the ability to stream some good quality signal without having to worry about the crappy frequency response of the VW factory head unit. What is the cleanest way to send the signal to the DSP. Just use the Bluetooth interface? Or phone Aux to RCA? Or even phone USB-C to RCA?

I don't see the point in using lossy bluetooth with high-res audio, I always use the headphone out to aux-in, not the best solution but better than bluetooth.
As for being a cheap-ass, this is Do-It-Yourself Mobile Audio, kind of a budget minded forum, even though there are some people here that regularly pay 10's of thousands of dollars for installs. Cheap-asses are always welcome.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
I don't see the point in using lossy bluetooth with high-res audio, I always use the headphone out to aux-in, not the best solution but better than bluetooth.
As for being a cheap-ass, this is Do-It-Yourself Mobile Audio, kind of a budget minded forum, even though there are some people here that regularly pay 10's of thousands of dollars for installs. Cheap-asses are always welcome.
These are what I am talking about. Does anyone have experience wiring cell phone directly to the dsp?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F162508917769

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123653909909

The Following User Says Thank You to jbird61801 For This Useful Post:
ckirocz28 (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14

Quote:
These are what I am talking about. Does anyone have experience wiring cell phone directly to the dsp?

Did tapatalk swap the "like" and "quote" buttons? Ah, nevermind.
You may have to have different presets to switch to different sources, that's the way MiniDSP's work, I'm not familiar with the Dayton. Aside from that, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 367 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
Don't buy any speaker or amp that says "High-Res", the only things that should be "High-Res" would be a source unit that plays high res files or a dsp that has a high bit-depth and/or sampling frequency. High-Res speakers and amps are *usually* the same stuff at a higher price.

I don't think you can make a blanket statement regarding the "Hi-Res" designation. For example, Kenwood's higher-end "XR" (eXcelon Reference) head units AND amplifiers that are designated as "Hi-Res" both have higher quality components, and a better signal path with lower distortion & noise figures. This also translates over to several other brands as well, including Sony.

As far as "Hi-Res" speakers go, my understanding is that the "High-Res" designation mainly indicates that the tweeters can play higher frequencies up to 40kHz cleanly. While you obviously can't hear anything up in that range, it does mean that in the actual audible range there should be far fewer breakup modes and less distortion overall.

Of course, I'd really like to see some independent testing and measurements to back-up the "Hi-Res" claims and see what real-world benefits there are, if any, especially on the speakers and amplifiers.

I do own and use two of the Kenwood DDX9905S eXcelon Reference head units, and I can tell you from personal experience that they do perform extremely well, besting or at least equal to other "High-End" single-DIN headunits such as the Sony CDX-C90 & RSX-GS9, Pioneer DEX-P99RS, Denon DCT's, Clarion DRZ's, etc.

And there is no clipping from the 5v RCA preamp outputs even at full volume (40/40). Very few other head units will perform that well.

Quote:

When you have a crappy, overly-EQ'd, and compressed OEM source signal, the analog AUX out or Headphone Output from a smartphone into a DSP or amplifier can make a significant improvement.

The main caveat, however, is that the Output Level from these types of analog HP or Aux output sources is typically way less than even 2 volts, which is the "line out" standard or reference voltage for most home & car audio CD and other common source units.

This means that you will typically need to significantly boost the Input Gain on your DSP and/or amplifier to compensate for this low input signal level. And that typically will result in exponentially higher background hiss, i.e. very poor noise floor performance.

This isn't always the case, however. And even with the higher background noise, the overall audio detail, dynamics, tonality, and imaging are usually superior.

And some DSPs, including the Helix DSP Pro models, have add-on "HEC" USB Audio Input modules available that allow you to connect a smartphone or tablet directly and digitally to the DSP via the smart device's USB charging/data port. In this scenario, the DSP basically functions as a USB DAC using your smart device as the music file transport.

From your latest list of chosen gear, I think that you are well on your way to big gains in SQ. Especially if you can obtain a clean, strong signal from your OEM HU, or your smartphone, or another aftermarket source such as a DAP, or a DAC that's connected to your smartphone via USB Type-C.

Last edited by bbfoto; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:25 PM..
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to bbfoto For This Useful Post:
jbird61801 (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
Of course, I'd really like to see some independent testing and measurements to back-up the "Hi-Res" claims and see what real-world benefits there are, if any, especially on the speakers and amplifiers.
Most of the higher end amps and speakers already play to the extreme ends of the audio spectrum, no need for the "High-Res" marketing on those. It's *kind of* a "snake oil" claim, that's all I was saying. If the amps and speakers are made to compliment and are part of a line of "High-Res" source units/processors then I don't see a problem with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement