DSP - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2019   #1

Rep Power: 31 court will become famous soon enoughcourt will become famous soon enoughcourt will become famous soon enoughcourt will become famous soon enoughcourt will become famous soon enoughcourt will become famous soon enough

Default DSP

The title states the subject of the thread. I have a 2013 Audi S5 prestige edition. I currently have an Image Dynamics ID MAx10, Arc Audio 1100.1, and AudioControl LC2i. I know very little about DSP. My Audi has the B&O system which I know is tied to the Audi MMi system. If I someone more experienced could educate me on a DSP and how to incorporate it into an audio system. I know there are many brands but if you could give me a budget I should be looking towards in a purchase. Thanks for all the help.

2015 Jeep Renegade (Kenwood DD, Arc Audio Component, Arc Audio Coaxial, Arc Audio 450.4, Skar Audio Evl 15)
2013 Audi S5 (ID MAX 10, Arc Audio XDi 1100.1, Audio Control Loci2, Arc Audio 600.4)
court is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 155 fischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enough

Default Re: DSP

Hey Court,

I have a 2017 A3 and am going through this myself. I'm assuming, based on the year that your system is running on the MOST50 which means you can use the MoBridge products which are a bit cheaper than the newer MOST150 integration units. Also, I believe they have one that has DSP built in.

What you'll want to do is get the integration unit and either use the built in DSP to control and then send the signals to your amplifiers or get an external DSP (Helix, Audiocontrol, Zapco, etc) and then feed it the signal and then send it to your amplifiers.

The integration unit should allow you to keep all/most of your stock controls, such as volume, balance (fade might disappear if you use an optical output from the integration unit) bass/treble controls as well as the door dings and what not.

Josh

Edit:
Here's the unit I was talking about:

MoBridge DA3 DSP
fischman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019   #3

Rep Power: 31 court will become famous soon enoughcourt will become famous soon enoughcourt will become famous soon enoughcourt will become famous soon enoughcourt will become famous soon enoughcourt will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the information. I will definitely be doing some research.

2015 Jeep Renegade (Kenwood DD, Arc Audio Component, Arc Audio Coaxial, Arc Audio 450.4, Skar Audio Evl 15)
2013 Audi S5 (ID MAX 10, Arc Audio XDi 1100.1, Audio Control Loci2, Arc Audio 600.4)

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Can someone tell me how many channels I would need to run for a DSP. I have am Arc Audio 600.4 for my components up front. Arc Audio 1100.1 that runs my sub. Would this work for me if not can someone recommend another. I have contacted Mobridge but no response yet.
https://www.woofersetc.com/c-164-pro...mplifiers.html
https://www.woofersetc.com/c-164-pro...processor.html

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 63 bnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enough

There are numerous issues with the audison dsps, do a few searches.

I would look into helix.

My .02

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan. Pioneer P880prs, Helix Dsp.2, JL 12w6v2 sealed, Arc KS1000.1, Modified Arc KS900.6, FI N.7 midbass, Illusion Audio C3cx. Ipod Classic - apple lossless. Just keep tryin' to get a little better.
bnae38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 40 AyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enough

I agree. I’d stay away from the audison. I’d go with Mosconi or Helix. You can download their software, play around and see which one you like better. Both are great.

For what your running you need six outputs but most have eight which is nice if you want to go 3-way up front later.

AyOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Rep Power: 53 soundstreamer will become famous soon enoughsoundstreamer will become famous soon enoughsoundstreamer will become famous soon enoughsoundstreamer will become famous soon enoughsoundstreamer will become famous soon enoughsoundstreamer will become famous soon enough

I would recommend the Dayton DSP 408. It's a very good processor that is also a lot cheaper than the ones mentioned above. The Helix and Mosconi do have more processing power and have a few more features but for a basic DSP the Dayton does a great job. I'm running an active 3 way front and sub with mine and it's working great.
soundstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 51 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by court View Post
The title states the subject of the thread. I have a 2013 Audi S5 prestige edition. I currently have an Image Dynamics ID MAx10, Arc Audio 1100.1, and AudioControl LC2i. I know very little about DSP. My Audi has the B&O system which I know is tied to the Audi MMi system. If I someone more experienced could educate me on a DSP and how to incorporate it into an audio system. I know there are many brands but if you could give me a budget I should be looking towards in a purchase. Thanks for all the help.
Well the first step is to determine what you want a DSP to do for you??
(Like problems to fix)

Then which DSP topology fixes the issues, or does what you need.

Then which particular DSP.
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 146 AVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enough

Arc PS8PRO

2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition - OEM Radio - Arc Audio PS8-50 & X2 1100.1 - Arc Audio RS 1.0 3.0 6.0 - AudioFrog GB10D2
2013 Dodge Avenger - Windows Surface and Sony GS9 - Arc Audio PS8PRO - Clarion Old s'kool amps - Audio Frog GB10 GB40 GB60 GB10D2 - Wirez Signature - Ohio Gen Alternator - Odessey Clone Batteries
AVIDEDTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 86 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Since you are new to DSPs, I would recommend a MiniDSP...

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco ST & Mosconi Pico amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio M9
My wife was furious when she overheard me say I want to do a 3 way in my Jeep.
DavidRam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11

Rep Power: 76 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

Another great and very capable DSP that has different levels of difficulty built into the software as your experience grows is the JL Audio TwK 88. As someone said though download the software and try each one to see what you like.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
Well the first step is to determine what you want a DSP to do for you??
(Like problems to fix)

Then which DSP topology fixes the issues, or does what you need.

Then which particular DSP.
I have the Factory B&O stereo system which is integrated in the Audi MMI system. I would be using the DSP to integrate into that system. I would also need it to help add my own amplifiers to the system.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 234 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm selling a Helix DSP.2 which would probably fit the bill for you. Plenty of features, but not top end brand new that is going to break the bank. You don't need 12 channels of output.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 51 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by court View Post
I have the Factory B&O stereo system which is integrated in the Audi MMI system. I would be using the DSP to integrate into that system. I would also need it to help add my own amplifiers to the system.
Sorry,

I did not mean how are you integrating it, but rather what do you expect it to be doing for you?
E.g:
1) Band pass filtering for cross overs.
(This sort of implies that the speakers do not have band pass now)

2) flattening the amplitude response.
(This assumes that you have measurements (I.e,p. REW) that suggested that it is needed.

3) time alignment.
(This sort implies that the system is not believed, or measured, to already be time aligned.

4) then there are more nuanced things that a DSP does.

Bottom line is that it is best know the issues,mand whether a particualr DSP addresses the issues.., which means measurements to understand the issues.

But if it is just to send signals to new amplifiers, and do TA, then all the units mentioned would do the job.
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement