need help with which speaker? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2019   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 ken949 will become famous soon enoughken949 will become famous soon enoughken949 will become famous soon enoughken949 will become famous soon enoughken949 will become famous soon enoughken949 will become famous soon enough

Default need help with which speaker?

hi guys, i am in need of some advice on which speaker to get for my project.

i have been researching and i do look at the specs for each speaker but im still not sure since the specs alone might be always the best way to determine if its the best for my application. going by the specs the information seems like it doesnt follow as i found some specs are different from what i was reading. anyways i dont want to go into what i found as it might even be wrong in the first place.

the car its going into is:
2015 audi s3 sedan.

rear parcel/ deck subwoofer hole. it will replace the stock speaker. of course custom spacer/bracket will be made and fit perfectly there.

*ignore all the other things for now like installation tools, installation technique, spacers, amp power (just assume ill be powering it with enough power no matter the rms of the sub), and such. im only looking to find advice on which speaker would work best for the location. there will be no box affiliated with this. so it is a free air install.

stock hole:
the hole is on odd shape which is not a real circle or a square. its like a half egg shape with a flatter bottom. but the stock size is an 8inch sub.

goal:
install in the same location.
do NOT want a box.
need to still use the trunk. so space is also premium as the car literally has a very small trunk.
subwoofer=install something larger than the 8inch like a 10inch shallow sub. the 10inch seems like it should work just fine.
i doubt a 12 inch will work as i dont want to cut the hole larger.
must be a shallow sub as it wont protrude too much into the trunk area.
looking for SQ sound quality. not a system that will bang the car next to you but more low frequency and also when i turn it up it wont distort too soon. i usually dont turn up my music that much or that loud but i would like to have that extra room to do so if a good song i like is playing.

these are the selected shallow subs i like as it fits the hole, fits the criteria i have, and its within budget.

if you advise me of sub please explain why you think that would be best?

shallow 10inch subs i like. which one of these would be best for my project and why?:
alpine
swr-t10

kenwood
xr-w10f

jl audio
10t3-d4

rockford fostgate
t1s1-10
t1s2-10

pioneer
ts-sw2502s4
ts-z10ls4
ts-z10ls2
ken949 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019   #2

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 63 Grinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enough

Default Re: need help with which speaker?

According to Crutchfield website details of all the subs listed above, only the ts-z10ls4 and ts-z10ls2 are suitable for free-air/IB application.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 375 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I don't think any of those will be a huge upgrade.

You want to run a sub IB off of the rear deck, which is understandable, but IB requires more than just dropping in a new sub, which is a big part of why the OEM speaker wasn't very impressive. Can you at least build a proper baffle across the entire rear deck? You want to keep the rear wave from coming through the cabin and causing cancellation with the front wave. Really, you need a baffle for the rear deck and behind the rear seats, but I'm guessing you aren't willing to do all of that.

Can you build a shallow sealed box to hang from the rear deck? I think having a sealed box will give you a better response and more output than hanging a sub free air without building baffles to separate from front and rear waves.

The size/shape of the hole isn't going to be a problem, but the lack of separation from the front and rear wave will be.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 ken949 will become famous soon enoughken949 will become famous soon enoughken949 will become famous soon enoughken949 will become famous soon enoughken949 will become famous soon enoughken949 will become famous soon enough

i see. ill now have to see if i can do a baffle. im realistic with my expectations with this. i know i wont get the best sound but can i at least get better clearer sound than my stock sub?

i have watched this one video on youtube on an audi a4 sedan. i wanted to do the same.
i am hoping to at least get a lower range freq than what i am getting now. the stock sub just sound more punchy. it is loud for my taste so power really isnt the issue but the lower and wider range of freq is what i am really after. with a change of sub, will that net that much at least? or the lack of a baffle totally negate the possibility?

here is the idea i like and want to copy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btfXwjnSHTk&t=523s
ken949 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2019   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 58 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken949 View Post
i see. ill now have to see if i can do a baffle. im realistic with my expectations with this. i know i wont get the best sound but can i at least get better clearer sound than my stock sub?
Clearer?
What is it you find duping unclear?

Better? As in better how?

Knowing what is not good will help make the choice of what is need to fix what is a problem easier...
(often some plots help)
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2019   #6

Rep Power: 81 jimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enough

Having owned a couple Audi's (S4 and SQ5), I've experimented with the exact same ideas you are looking at right now...
Let me say that; I never got a free air sub to sound good, hanging off the back of the rear deck (of my S4).
I sealed it off. I sound deadened it. I used an Acoustic Elegance IB-10 speaker (which is one of the best free-air subs you can buy)
IB10AU - Automotive Infinite Baffle Woofer - SQ Subwoofer
And, it just never sounded very good...

I ended up building an ultra shallow enclosure, and bolting it to the back of my rear seat.
The back of the enclosure was angled to the degree of the seat back, and the front was straight 90 degrees.
This was (by far) the best sound I got, without sacrificing hardly any trunk space.

I don't have any pics of it in my S4, but I did build a similar enclosure for my SQ5, which can be seen here:
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...more-pics.html

https://i.imgur.com/6f2B75s.jpg
jimmydee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement