05 Mini Cooper S, where to begin - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 brusk will become famous soon enoughbrusk will become famous soon enoughbrusk will become famous soon enoughbrusk will become famous soon enoughbrusk will become famous soon enoughbrusk will become famous soon enough

Default 05 Mini Cooper S, where to begin

Looking at putting together a setup for my new toy. Seems solid enough car so I thought I'd use it to play around with all the newer stereo equipment. I haven't put together anything in over 10 years and as I learned last time brands change very quickly with buyouts and such. Anyway if you guys can point me in a direction for some of the pieces

Car - 05 Mini Cooper S
Music - Rock/Hard Rock/Metal
Volume - Honestly not real loud, my ears work just fine so I don't see a need to crank it
Purpose - Sound quality, warm overall natural sounding system that works/blends together

HU - Thinking something like an Alpine ILX-W650 or Sony XAV-AX1000. Fitment of a double DIN is an issue so it has to be shallow or missint the bottom half behind the display

DSP/Amps - Was thinking either a Helix DSP.3 and unkown 6 channel and 1 channel amp or Helix PSIX and an unknown 1 channel amp. Seems most would prefer a stand alone DSP but real estate is minimal and not sure if the car would benefit from a slightly better DSP.

Fronts - 6.5 and tweeters in the door. Absolutely no clue with the newer speakers, just don't want to be disappointed this time.

Rears - Nobodies fitting in the back seats of a Mini stocks are 6x9's. What's preferred non coaxial 6x9's or 6.5's for some mid bass and a little fill?

Sub - 8" in a sealed box. Not much room and not going for a booming car. Recommendations?
brusk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 370 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: 05 Mini Cooper S, where to begin

If you run a DSP, it'll open plenty of doors for you. You won't be stuck shopping only car audio branded speakers, so you'll have a much bigger array of affordable options. I would recommend sticking with a 2-way front, and a sub. You'd only need 5 channels of amplification, and there are a bunch of very good 5 channel amps to help keep the amount of equipment to a minimum. I wouldn't run any rear speakers at all.

I'd shop for a nice tweeter that will play as low as possible. People can jump in with their personal preferences once we know how much space you have to work with. Have you pulled the door panel? Do you know what will fit? Generally, tweeters that play low enough to be successful in a 2-way system are big, or expensive, so knowing what you can fit will help us recommend tweeters that will work. The tweeter is very important in a 2-way, so don't cut corners on the tweeter.

Try to work out a budget, and figure out what can fit. There are some some very affordable DSP's, amps, and speakers, but it's tough to make recommendations without a budget and size limits.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019   #3

Rep Power: 0 brusk will become famous soon enoughbrusk will become famous soon enoughbrusk will become famous soon enoughbrusk will become famous soon enoughbrusk will become famous soon enoughbrusk will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't say I have a set budget maybe some price points of pieces I was looking at to stay under (below). Idea is to get the most out of it without getting to the point of paying a lot more extra very only minimal return. It's a $5K car to toy with so I'd have to yank the pieces back out if I ever sold it and reuse in something else. I've seen plenty of people ditch the rears I just wasn't sure that was doable with only 6.5 and tweeters. I would have thought using some plain 6.5 or 6x9 to hit the higher low end frequencies that the sub might not be tuned for could make more sense. Also if not using the rears would it make sense to go with something like the Helix PSIX since that would be enough to run tweeters, fronts and two channels into a DVC sub.

also tweeters are 1.5" but have room for up to about 1.75 depending on depth. I'm not opposed to doing a customer A pillar setup if it would make that much of a difference.

HU - $400
DSP - $1000
Amp - $1000
Front Speakers - $500
Sub - $400

Old 07-14-2019   #4

Rep Power: 0 allenm324 will become famous soon enoughallenm324 will become famous soon enoughallenm324 will become famous soon enoughallenm324 will become famous soon enoughallenm324 will become famous soon enoughallenm324 will become famous soon enough

I saw your other post about the 6.5 component choices and figured this thread would benefit from an update. What did you end up going with as far as amp and the rest of the system so far? Have you done any sound treatment on the doors or rear?

2012 - BMW X5 (E70) - Top Hi-Fi (677)
2013 - Mini Cooper S (R56) - Pioneer TS-SWX3002; SI TM65 MKII; Audiofrog GS40; Dayton DSP-408
allenm324 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2019   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenm324 View Post
I saw your other post about the 6.5 component choices and figured this thread would benefit from an update. What did you end up going with as far as amp and the rest of the system so far? Have you done any sound treatment on the doors or rear?
What I've gathered so far is a
Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX
Helix DSP Pro MK2
Zapco Z150.v
Zapco Z-1KDII
SI BM MK IV 12" Sub
assortment of sound deadening materials

I have not installed anything yet. I didn't get any hits on this thread so I thought a specific one just for the components might get some attention. I went to several shops in the area but they don't even put out their high end speakers to listen to. All pieces I've gathered so far and one shop just wanted to sell me on a set of $220 JL components
Sponsored Links
Advertisement