Seeking drivers and dsp recommendations for a new miata - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2019   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 102 Blorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enough

Default Seeking drivers and dsp recommendations for a new miata

Hey Guys,

Dusting off the old account here and looking for a sanity check for the new wheels.

The car has a factory bose system. My plan is to just take a 2ch line out from that system and build up a front stage from there. The noise floor in this car is very high, so an all-out SQ build doesn't make much sense, but I would like to do things decently. I'm into rock/pop/alternative and like it loud, fwiw.

Processing-wise, I'm leaning towards minidsp. I have an old 2x4 sitting around that I could get started with, but would be using one of their DiracLive options unless there is a more user-friendly alternative you guys would suggest. I'm primarily interested in time alignment and auto-eq. A combined amp/dsp unit would need to be at least 4x100rms.

Here's what I'm leaning towards on the drivers. I'd appreciate whatever feedback you guys care to give.

Stock, there are 6.5's in the doors and tweets in the a-pillars. The tweets are pretty close to the passengers heads, so those will need to be on the milder side. I'm kicking around two paths for the drivers:

2ways:
Doors: Audiofrog GS60 or GS690 if I can make that fit
Tweeters: open - possibly a Dayton soft dome mentioned elsewhere?

3ways:
Same as above but adding a custom pod at the base of the a-pillar for a 2" midrange. The driver's door speaker is completely off-axis to the driver's head, so I'd really like to tighten up the imaging away from that.

I would like to avoid a subwoofer if possible - hence the interest in 6x9's.

Any/all suggestions greatly appreciated.
Blorton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 375 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Seeking drivers and dsp recommendations for a new miata

Do you know whether the factory Bose system does the processing in the head unit, or later at an amp? If the processing is in the head unit, then swapping speakers isn't going to help much, you'll be sending the same crappy signal to the speakers as before. You may need to research that first. If the processing is done in an amp then tapping into the OEM head unit will be fine and it will be much easier to get good sound.

With a DSP you don't need to worry about the tweeters being on "the milder side" you'll have plenty of control over them, so choose something that works within your budget, and size constraints. If you can fit a 6x9 that will help with the midbass a lot, but you'll need to snag a tweeter that plays low with confidence. Do you know what fits? Usually tweeters that play low enough for a 2-way system are either large, or expensive. If you have a bit of room to work with you can get a great tweeter that won't cost too much.

I definitely wouldn't go with a 3-way front in that car, I think a well planned 2-way will do everything that you need.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 102 Blorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enough

Thanks! That's very helpful. I would also like to keep this stealthy, so pods or custom a-pillar would be least preferred.

The bose in this car is a weird animal and also a gift of sorts. There is basically a source selector at the head end that provides a clean, unprocessed signal, albeit with low voltage levels(well under 1v.). All of the processing is done in the amp which is located behind the seats. Unfortunately, that amp also highpasses the doors around 100Hz, or I'd be trying to work with the output from that.

Old 06-20-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
If you can fit a 6x9 that will help with the midbass a lot, but you'll need to snag a tweeter that plays low with confidence. Do you know what fits? Usually tweeters that play low enough for a 2-way system are either large, or expensive. If you have a bit of room to work with you can get a great tweeter that won't cost too much.
Home now and have access to the measurements. In the tweeter openings, I can do a 1.5" od before having to do major surgery. The grill opening is 1 3/8". I'm told these a-pillar pieces are only $30 from Mazda, so I don't mind hacking on them if need be.

To clarify more on your other points, yes, there is a good tap on the factory headunit that is said to pass clean, unprocessed signals from 20-14,700. I can't hear a thing over 10k, so that's good enough for me.

Is there a tweeter you would recommend?

Also - they don't seem to get much love here, but I am fascinated with the Pioneer TS-Z65CH. I put some really cheap pioneer 6x9's in a truck and was amazed how well they sounded off of a cheap stock headunit - for the price.

Budget-wise, I'm flexible. The factory sub is so bad it makes the current system too annoying to listen to sometimes. I am tempted to just get a good set of components and an amp in there for now and branch into the tricker stuff later - but since amp/dsp combos are pretty affordable, I wanted to get feedback here first.
Old 06-21-2019   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 181 TomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enough

Knowing nothing about the doors in a Miata, your mention of running subless made me think of an 8” midbass. Specifically the Audio Development W800 NEO. Very shallow depth with excellent low end and SQ but will also get loud.

"Buy Once, Cry Once. Then enjoy it for a long time!!!"
TomT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TomT For This Useful Post:
Blorton (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT View Post
Knowing nothing about the doors in a Miata, your mention of running subless made me think of an 8” midbass. Specifically the Audio Development W800 NEO. Very shallow depth with excellent low end and SQ but will also get loud.
That's Brilliant! Thank you. I'm pretty sure those would work with no issue.There's so much room behind the door cards in that area that some folks are mounting those inline Rockford amps next to the speaker.

There's 2.5" of mounting depth to work with before resorting to spacers, and I'm fairly confident that the layout on this setup would allow some pretty nutty depths.

Those NEO's look great, but are more than I can justify atm given payment book, etc. Could I trouble you for a an alternate suggestion in that size?

While I'm dreaming, I'd love a larger tweeter that crosses lower but isn't as deep. Right now, I'm thinking these Scanspeaks I have seen mentioned elsewhere will get the nod.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-textile-dome/

Would rather get these, but I'm really not sure I can make that work with the pillar space at hand:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-dome-tweeter/

So I'm also thinking - don't monkey so much with the doors. Go with some quality 6 3/4" components and add a small sub. There is a lot of space behind the seats to do something stealthy without killing trunk space.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Old 06-26-2019   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 95 CarGuru will become famous soon enoughCarGuru will become famous soon enoughCarGuru will become famous soon enoughCarGuru will become famous soon enoughCarGuru will become famous soon enoughCarGuru will become famous soon enough

You’ll probably be disappointed with any autoeq that you try. It’s probably not worth choosing a dap based on if it has autoeq or not. A more important aspect is how easy it is for you to make adjustments yourself. A lot of new processors have phone apps, which is cool and convenient.

Subwoofers in small convertibles do not work unless you can fit them in the doors, between the seats, under the seats or in the passenger foot well. Typically, none of these are easy to do.

Your best bet is to make space for a dedicated 2-4” midrange and use your door location for the biggest mid bass driver you can squeeze in. This will require 6 channels of processing if you run active, which you should.

If you’re forced to keep the factory head unit as your sole source, you’ll definitely want some kind of oem integration processor.

The most budget friendly option is pretty much always going to be a DEH-80PRS however I don’t believe the 5+6(sub) channels can do high pass or band pass so that would be an issue for you in your subless scenario.
CarGuru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2019   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 132 LumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura about

As a Miata (NC) owner who tried to go subless, just save up the money for the W800 NEO's and call it good. The next best thing is probably the Illusion Carbon 8's, but they are big money too. Anything that fits the depth requirement is either going to not perform well enough(especially with the top down) or be expensive. Go the expensive route, do it once, and be happy you didn't swap out 8 different speakers and spend twice as much just to ultimately wind up with the expensive speakers anyway.

Edit: see my build thread for ideas...

When the top comes off, the tops come off!
1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
LumbermanSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to LumbermanSVO For This Useful Post:
Blorton (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Thanks guys. I got a little discouraged at seeing a CX-5 thread where they were not able to get an 8 to work and was thinking of dropping back to 6.5s. Glad to see they work in an NC! I will have to draw up a template and pull the door card this weekend.

Any suggestions on where to get the W800 NEO's? Google just seems to find this place.

And the GB15's are totally calling to me after seeing some of the custom pod possibilities in the fab area. But man oh man, are they spendy...

Lumber - I read your build thread. Great stuff - you are way out of my league.
Old 06-27-2019   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Also - I've been kicking around getting the Pioneer TS-Z65CH as placeholders, but can't find much here about them. They appear to be the new Stage 4's? For $300 these would surely be a huge upgrade over factory at a nice price. Any opinions on those?
Old 06-27-2019   #11

Rep Power: 18 mcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enough

There are places that build sub boxes for the Miata. I've seen local guys do a 10 in the spare tire well, and this place in the US has a box that goes behind the passenger seat with about 0.3ft inside.

https://store.audiodesignscg.com/pro...fer-enclosure/

Could review their approach and consider a DIY version.

Perfect size for a JL10TW1 in my experience, which I am using in my CLK Cabriolet (the sub, not that Miata box).

Mild basshead from Canada
mcgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 95 CarGuru will become famous soon enoughCarGuru will become famous soon enoughCarGuru will become famous soon enoughCarGuru will become famous soon enoughCarGuru will become famous soon enoughCarGuru will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgsxr View Post
There are places that build sub boxes for the Miata. I've seen local guys do a 10 in the spare tire well, and this place in the US has a box that goes behind the passenger seat with about 0.3ft inside.

https://store.audiodesignscg.com/pro...fer-enclosure/

Could review their approach and consider a DIY version.

Perfect size for a JL10TW1 in my experience, which I am using in my CLK Cabriolet (the sub, not that Miata box).
That's a perfect spot for the sub, but the construction quality of that box does not appear to align with its price based on the pictures. looks like an ideal candidate for fiberglass and a thin 10"
CarGuru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement