Dayton audio reference 10 - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 173 Jroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Dayton audio reference 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToNasty View Post
It would be a single 10 in a regular cab in the configuration below. 600 watts to the single sub. Parts express says .44 for an f3 of about 46 hz. So i think id go .6 cubes to bring that down some

This is an example of what im doing. In a regular cab. But sealed. Sub would be about 8" away from the rear wall

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
My friend, that is a great looking center console. If I ever move to a pick up, which is likely on the next purchase. i would want something like that.
Jroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2019   #27

Rep Power: 92 ToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayboy View Post
Dayton driver specs usually are pretty spot on. You can play around with the nifty mobile app Speaker Box Lite. Just enter the parameters from the PE product page. I use it when I'm away from home and find it easy to use and accurate enough to be valid.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!
Question for you I'm going to build a test box. You say you have yours in .35 cubes. Is that not of gross? If I have to add sub displacement with it I'll build one about .45 cubes. Just going to test it out in the truck before I waste the time to build one ported

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
ToNasty is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019   #28

Rep Power: 24 Stycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enough

That spot would be perfect for an isobaric enclosure

Chevy Sonic: Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX, JL VX 800/8i, VX 1000/1i,Morel CCWR254 AF GB60, SS D3004, SS 12" 30w/4558T. Chevy Silverado: Factory HU, NAV-TV GM-650, JL TWK, NVX JAD 800.4, NVX JAD 1200.1, Audiofrog GS690, Morel 2.5, SS R2004, DA HO 12"(2)
Stycker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019   #29

Rep Power: 92 ToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stycker View Post
That spot would be perfect for an isobaric enclosure
Explain please? It's been about 4 5 years since I've done anything audio

Old 07-05-2019   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 127 skylineqrt4 will become famous soon enoughskylineqrt4 will become famous soon enoughskylineqrt4 will become famous soon enoughskylineqrt4 will become famous soon enoughskylineqrt4 will become famous soon enoughskylineqrt4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Explain please? It's been about 4 5 years since I've done anything audio

JL audio has a really good white pages on the topic.
https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...nclosure-Types

The main advantage is a smaller enclosure.
The biggest disadvantage is loss of efficiency and the fact that you have to buy two drivers.
Personally I would find a woofer that is optimal for your application versus going the isobaric route with two drivers.
skylineqrt4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019   #31

Ah isobaroc like 4th and 6th order
Old 07-05-2019   #32

Rep Power: 78 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

I took a Sundown SD3-10 which is a semi shallow subwoofer with an underhung coil designed for a small sealed box and put it in a .98 cu ft ported box tuned to 30.5 Hz and man let me tell you it sounds very good. Also, I have a regular cab truck too and this thing hits the lows very well. The ported box is a custom built slanted box that just fits behind the seats of my truck and takes up half the space back there. It’s not designed for this application but it works well and the 550 watt JBL mono amplifier is more than enough to fill the space with good solid clean lows.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
I took a Sundown SD3-10 which is a semi shallow subwoofer with an underhung coil designed for a small sealed box and put it in a .98 cu ft ported box tuned to 30.5 Hz and man let me tell you it sounds very good. Also, I have a regular cab truck too and this thing hits the lows very well. The ported box is a custom built slanted box that just fits behind the seats of my truck and takes up half the space back there. It’s not designed for this application but it works well and the 550 watt JBL mono amplifier is more than enough to fill the space with good solid clean lows.
I've used every single sundown sub made (I used to nothing but sundown for years) but in this case I want to try something different. If it comes down to it I will get an sd3 of wait for the sd4

Old 07-06-2019   #34

What would be the proper size aero port for this? Reason I ask is I'm going to build a few test boxes in different configurations
Old 07-06-2019   #35

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 59 Grinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enough

Quote:
What would be the proper size aero port for this? Reason I ask is I'm going to build a few test boxes in different configurations
Shall I assume by "aero port" you mean an off-the-shelf flared port?

If so, one of these should do the trick: https://www.parts-express.com/precis...e-kit--268-350

One of these (4") would probably be ideal in terms of output potential (i.e. low vent compression): https://www.parts-express.com/precis...-kit--268-352#!
...but you'll be hard pressed to fit the 3" version in a suitably small box for this driver - in which case a slot port or external port would probably be best.

How large can you go? I could model it (RSS265HO-44, right?) for you later this evening.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2019   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
Shall I assume by "aero port" you mean an off-the-shelf flared port?

If so, one of these should do the trick: https://www.parts-express.com/precis...e-kit--268-350

One of these (4") would probably be ideal in terms of output potential (i.e. low vent compression): https://www.parts-express.com/precis...-kit--268-352#!

...but you'll be hard pressed to fit the 3" version in a suitably small box for this driver - in which case a slot port or external port would probably be best.

How large can you go? I could model it (RSS265HO-44, right?) for you later this evening.
Yes please? It's the ho 10 dvc

A trusted guy who uses the sub told me 1.2 cubes 17" of port tuned to 30hz. But I want to maybe make it easier and use an aero since i haven't built a box in a few years. It's a funky configuration so I'd have to use PVC and bends. But the PVC I was going to hopefully use has a 3.5" ID

Old 07-06-2019   #37

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 59 Grinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes please? It's the ho 10 dvc

A trusted guy who uses the sub told me 1.2 cubes 17" of port tuned to 30hz. But I want to maybe make it easier and use an aero since i haven't built a box in a few years. It's a funky configuration so I'd have to use PVC and bends. But the PVC I was going to hopefully use has a 3.5" ID

Okay, I'll get back to you with WinISD results later this evening.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grinder For This Useful Post:
ToNasty (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019   #38

Enthusiast

1.2 cubes, 30 Hz, 3.5” dia. X 21.5” vent, 500 W (for 13.1 mm of 13.25 mm Xmax), 40 m/s vent velocity, 27.3 Hz F3, 112.54 dB at 42.67 Hz.

40 m/s is a bit high and would likely produce audible chuffing without flared ends, but should be quiet with nicely flared ends.

By way of comparison, a 4” diameter (x 28.3”) vent would drop to 30.6 m/s. I don’t know whether or not that would be low enough to do without flared ends though (in terms of vent noise potential).

22 m/s seems to be the point at which port compression begins to be an issue (though WinISD does not seem to recognize/factor vent compression), reducing vent efficiency/output potential to that extent. Also, vent noise is not an issue at or near 22 m/s.

If you can fit it in the box, a 3.5 dia port with flared ends should be a good compromise.

Of course, a larger box would reduce vent length to that extent. I can variations if you like.

Screenshot (330).png

Screenshot (331).png

Screenshot (332).png

Screenshot (333).png
Old 07-06-2019   #39

I could increase the box size no problem. And I can pretty much use whatever size pvc I want. And I can make flared ends for them

Old 07-06-2019   #40

Enthusiast

Quote:
I could increase the box size no problem. And I can pretty much use whatever size pvc I want. And I can make flared ends for them

Wow, got any other tricks up your sleeve?

Seriously though...

...are you looking to maximize output?

...how large a box can you fit?
Old 07-06-2019   #41

Quote:
Wow, got any other tricks up your sleeve?

Seriously though...

...are you looking to maximize output?

...how large a box can you fit?
Musical (but keep in mind I do like my bass once in awhile. But I prefer musical

Also making a flared end on pvc is easy. Get a metal mixing bowl (old one the wife doesn't use) and a heat gun. Heat the edges of 1 side and slowly push the heated end of the pvc down on the bottom of the bowl until you get the flare you want

Old 07-06-2019   #42

Enthusiast

Quote:
Musical (but keep in mind I do like my bass once in awhile. But I prefer musical

I'm not sure what that means.

Bear in mind that I'm not much more than a trained monkey when it comes to this stuff. I sort of know my way around WinISD, and can discuss some of its results in general terms; however, I'll be of little or no use to you in terms of interpreting or predicting how any particular alignment might sound.

For starters, do you think 112 dB should be more than enough, merely adequate, or possibly insufficient?

...and how large can we go? For example, would 2 cubes be too large?
Old 07-06-2019   #43

Quote:
I'm not sure what that means.

Bear in mind that I'm not much more than a trained monkey when it comes to this stuff. I sort of know my way around WinISD, and can discuss some of its results in general terms; however, I'll be of little or no use to you in terms of interpreting or predicting how any particular alignment might sound.

For starters, do you think 112 dB should be more than enough, merely adequate, or possibly insufficient?
Probably not. I'm used to driving in a vehicle that's does 50s on music all day. I know this is totally different and I wont be anywhere close to that.

But I'm ok with that asking as the bandwidth is wide

I hope im explaining it right

I do also have 1 more sub I was going to try. Which is the dayton UM 10. With the VC configuration it would receive 800 watts. The ho 10 would be getting 600 watts

Old 07-06-2019   #44

Enthusiast

Quote:
Probably not. I'm used to driving in a vehicle that's does 50s on music all day. I know this is totally different and I wont be anywhere close to that.

But I'm ok with that asking as the bandwidth is wide

I hope im explaining it right

Sorry, I don't understand any of ^that^

I do also have 1 more sub I was going to try. Which is the dayton UM 10. With the VC configuration it would receive 800 watts. The ho 10 would be getting 600 watts

The UM seems better suited to sealed in a vehicle (maybe vented at home), but I could easily be wrong. Vented HO will outperform (SPL and extension) sealed UM.

According to WinISD results posted above, the HO will handle up to 500 watts in 1.2 cubes (based on Xmax).

Old 07-06-2019   #45

I could most likely squeeze 2 cubes but some of the port would have to be external which is possible. About 8-10 inches of it
Old 07-06-2019   #46

Enthusiast

Quote:
I could most likely squeeze 2 cubes but some of the port would have to be external which is possible. About 8-10 inches of it
Bear in mind that at 2 cubes a 3.5" dia. port would be just 11.8" long (or just a bit longer than that for flared). This is the benefit of greater cabinet volume - that, and/or the option of increasing vent area without crazy length.
Old 07-06-2019   #47

Quote:
Quote:
Bear in mind that at 2 cubes a 3.5" dia. port would be just 11.8" long (or just a bit longer than that for flared). This is the benefit of greater cabinet volume - that, and/or the option of increasing vent area without crazy length.
I could fit that easily. At that point I can even get a precision port with flared ends and go up to a 4" if that would make a difference. As long as I dont get any port noise.

But the port will be firing under the dash so i shouldn't hear it anyways
Old 07-06-2019   #48

Enthusiast

Quote:
I could fit that easily. At that point I can even get a precision port with flared ends and go up to a 4" if that would make a difference. As long as I dont get any port noise.

But the port will be firing under the dash so i shouldn't hear it anyways
According to Precision Ports calculator, 2 cubes, 30 Hz, 4" port would be 16.9" long. Power drops to 420 watts (excursion limited); vent velocity stays at 40 m/s (despite increased vent area, due to increased cabinet volume); peak SPL is slightly up to 113.3 dB, at 34 Hz (due to commensurately peakier response); F3 is 25.13 Hz.

You should have zero noise with ^this^ and a 4" precision Port.

Assuming you've got DSP or PEQ (to tailor response) this looks like a winner.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot (334).png (108.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-06-2019   #49

This is going to be a pain in the ass. I also think making the box bigger will bring the qtc way up

I guess I just have to go buy a bunch of ply wood and start building test boxes
Old 07-06-2019   #50

Enthusiast

Quote:
This is going to be a pain in the ass. ....
What do you mean? Too big of a box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement