Dayton audio reference 10 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2019   #1

Rep Power: 95 ToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enough

Default Dayton audio reference 10

Who has experience with one?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ToNasty is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2019   #2

Rep Power: 25 Stycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Dayton audio reference 10

I use two of the HO 10's in my truck.

Chevy Sonic: Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX, JL VX 800/8i, VX 1000/1i,Morel CCWR254 AF GB60, SS D3004, SS 12" 30w/4558T. Chevy Silverado: Factory HU, NAV-TV GM-650, JL TWK, NVX JAD 800.4, NVX JAD 1200.1, Audiofrog GS690, Morel 2.5, SS R2004, DA HO 12"(2)
Stycker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019   #3

Rep Power: 32 Patriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stycker View Post
What are your impressions compared to other subs you have used/heard?
Patriot83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019   #4

Rep Power: 95 ToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enough

Quote:
How are they

Old 06-24-2019   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 193 Bayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud of

They're not a robust sub if that's what you're used to. I've used them in sealed for years so you could say I've become accustomed to their character which is very low distortion and a great definitive response in a very small box although most oversize it unnecessarily IMO. Ported is what many others choose but the port length is much too be dealt with. The best I've had with them is a pair sealed in .7 total with a BP1200.1 behind them. They're just effortless in disappearing into the front. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't hesitate!

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayboy View Post
They're not a robust sub if that's what you're used to. I've used them in sealed for years so you could say I've become accustomed to their character which is very low distortion and a great definitive response in a very small box although most oversize it unnecessarily IMO. Ported is what many others choose but the port length is much too be dealt with. The best I've had with them is a pair sealed in .7 total with a BP1200.1 behind them. They're just effortless in disappearing into the front. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't hesitate!

It would be a single 10 in a regular cab in the configuration below. 600 watts to the single sub. Parts express says .44 for an f3 of about 46 hz. So i think id go .6 cubes to bring that down some

This is an example of what im doing. In a regular cab. But sealed. Sub would be about 8" away from the rear wall

Old 06-24-2019   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 193 Bayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud of

You're talking about the HO, correct? Work the specs. I've only used the single coil (4-ohm) version; going bigger accomplishes little as far as extension. It extends well in .35-.4 cubes sealed. Bigger than that leans toward a dryer response since it is already smooth to begin with. Getting the F3 way down isn't necessary since cabin gain is at play.

If you have the room, try ported if you want a low F3. If it's the dual coil, you might need to to run it through a box program. I believe it differs from the single coil.

Old 06-24-2019   #8

Quote:
You're talking about the HO, correct? Work the specs. I've only used the single coil (4-ohm) version; going bigger accomplishes little as far as extension. It extends well in .35-.4 cubes sealed. Bigger than that leans toward a dryer response since it is already smooth to begin with. Getting the F3 way down isn't necessary since cabin gain is at play.

If you have the room, try ported if you want a low F3. If it's the dual coil, you might need to to run it through a box program. I believe it differs from the single coil.

Yes it would be the d4 ho 10. I dont have any program to run specs. Nor a computer do it on. Nor the abilities because im not a computer guy. Id only be guessing.

Old 06-24-2019   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToNasty View Post
Yes it would be the d4 ho 10. I dont have any program to run specs. Nor a computer do it on. Nor the abilities because im not a computer guy. Id only be guessing.

Dayton driver specs usually are pretty spot on. You can play around with the nifty mobile app Speaker Box Lite. Just enter the parameters from the PE product page. I use it when I'm away from home and find it easy to use and accurate enough to be valid.

Old 06-24-2019   #10

Quote:
Dayton driver specs usually are pretty spot on. You can play around with the nifty mobile app Speaker Box Lite. Just enter the parameters from the PE product page. I use it when I'm away from home and find it easy to use and accurate enough to be valid.

I have that app and i can never get it work work. Ill figure something out. Im just more after how the sound is. As ive never used one. And a guy i get a lot of equipment from uses audio development subs. From using the dayton ho subs. And he said there wasnt much of a difference except for way cheaper

Old 06-24-2019   #11

Rep Power: 25 Stycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Sorry a bit late with any response. I don't think I could have said it better than Babyboy. They are effortless and smooth in a sealed box and can take a ton of power. They get plenty loud without causing any sort of panel resonance. A nice clean and accurate sound. I don't think a bass head would like these subs. They blend well with the midbass drivers without overpowering them.

Chevy Sonic: Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX, JL VX 800/8i, VX 1000/1i,Morel CCWR254 AF GB60, SS D3004, SS 12" 30w/4558T. Chevy Silverado: Factory HU, NAV-TV GM-650, JL TWK, NVX JAD 800.4, NVX JAD 1200.1, Audiofrog GS690, Morel 2.5, SS R2004, DA HO 12"(2)
Old 06-24-2019   #12

Quote:
Sorry a bit late with any response. I don't think I could have said it better than Babyboy. They are effortless and smooth in a sealed box and can take a ton of power. They get plenty loud without causing any sort of panel resonance. A nice clean and accurate sound. I don't think a bass head would like these subs. They blend well with the midbass drivers without overpowering them.
Im coming from competing spl. But before that i was all sq. And of course now im back. I dont need to float bricks and break windsheilds.

Its not what im really into.

Old 06-24-2019   #13

There are probably better sound quality subs but not for that price. I also use another sound quality sub. The Scanspeak 30W 12 inch. This sub is slightly better than the Dayton as far as sound quality, but it requires twice the box size and can only handle half the power and is twice the price.

Old 06-24-2019   #14

Rep Power: 36 Petererc will become famous soon enoughPetererc will become famous soon enoughPetererc will become famous soon enoughPetererc will become famous soon enoughPetererc will become famous soon enoughPetererc will become famous soon enough

Fwiw, i had the 4ohm HO in a ported enclosure , .70 tuned to low 30’s behind the seat in a Tacoma DC. After reaching out to Bayboy and taking his suggestion of .35 cubes sealed, the ported box went to the trash. I really like sub and would recommend it as well. I went with a three way front using dynaudio drivers from Volvo and the sub blends in beautifully
Petererc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 161 foreman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enough

I have a 12 inch in my sons car in 1.25(iirc) ported and it gets plenty loud and sounds very good. I tried it sealed as well, but they seem to really shine ported.

Deck-DEX-P99Rs, Amp-Arc xdi v2 1200.6
Dash-Xtant XIS 2.4
Doors-Scan Rev's, sub SI Mag 4....
foreman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019   #16

I have the option of using a 10 of 12. D4 coil

Old 06-24-2019   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 178 Jimi77 will become famous soon enoughJimi77 will become famous soon enoughJimi77 will become famous soon enoughJimi77 will become famous soon enoughJimi77 will become famous soon enoughJimi77 will become famous soon enough

The Dayton is really clean sounding. The only problem you're going to run into is they don't have great output. If you can make the 12" work, I think that's a good option.

Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
The Dayton is really clean sounding. The only problem you're going to run into is they don't have great output. If you can make the 12" work, I think that's a good option.
I think i can make the 12 fit.

Old 06-26-2019   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 161 foreman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enough

That 12 ported in a truck will be plenty

Deck-DEX-P99Rs, Amp-Arc xdi v2 1200.6
Dash-Xtant XIS 2.4
Doors-Scan Rev's, sub SI Mag 4....
foreman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2019   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreman View Post
That 12 ported in a truck will be plenty
To big of a box. Itf have to be sealed

Old 06-26-2019   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 305 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

The d4 needs a bigger box than the s4. No clue why but it just does. I will tell you this...my ho10d4 was the perfect sq sub until the truck started moving. Always thought going ported with this sub would do the trick by lowering the f3. As you probably know well getting LOW bass in a single cab truck can be a challenge which is why I'm going to switch to a smaller box sub and give it the ported box it needs. Actually Nasty, ygpm!

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...MAKE DIYMA GREAT AGAIN!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2019   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
The d4 needs a bigger box than the s4. No clue why but it just does. I will tell you this...my ho10d4 was the perfect sq sub until the truck started moving. Always thought going ported with this sub would do the trick by lowering the f3. As you probably know well getting LOW bass in a single cab truck can be a challenge which is why I'm going to switch to a smaller box sub and give it the ported box it needs. Actually Nasty, ygpm!
What is ygpm?

Old 06-26-2019   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 305 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToNasty View Post
What is ygpm?

You Got Private Message

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...MAKE DIYMA GREAT AGAIN!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2019   #24

I just noticed dayton has passive radiators as well. I am buying a dayton 10 from hillbilly. And im thinking adding a PR will help output a bit if its lacking

Old 07-01-2019   #25

I have a design in mind for 1 ported. But it might be easier to do 2 sealed. Only issue is with 2 sealed. Theyd be on lower power with 1 firing back and 1 firing down

Sponsored Links
Advertisement