Thinsulate or Ultratouch? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2019   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 141 hybridspl will become famous soon enoughhybridspl will become famous soon enoughhybridspl will become famous soon enoughhybridspl will become famous soon enoughhybridspl will become famous soon enoughhybridspl will become famous soon enough

Default Thinsulate or Ultratouch?

Already have lots of CLD, CCF and MLV, but looking for a little more absorption. Thinsulate and Ultratouch look like my best choices, but canít determine which is better and donít know what weight thinsulate is best. Any educated help would be appreciated!

Clarion 9255 - JBL MS-8 - PDX-V9 - Trinity - Ebony - SWR-823d (x2)
hybridspl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019   #2

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 55 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Thinsulate or Ultratouch?

I went through Vogue fabrics and for the 150
3M Thinsulate Fabric (Thermal Lining) CS150

Good price even with the shipping
dcfis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2019   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,171 Posts
Rep Power: 452 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you are trying to put it. If your trying to fill voids, untratouch (so long as water has no chance of getting to it. Thinsulate to go behind panels. I may be offering thinsulate shortly.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 141 hybridspl will become famous soon enoughhybridspl will become famous soon enoughhybridspl will become famous soon enoughhybridspl will become famous soon enoughhybridspl will become famous soon enoughhybridspl will become famous soon enough

Looking to add to headliner and rear deck of 2019 Accord. Only concern with Ultratouch is if the foil lining would cause noise

Old 06-30-2019   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 452 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfis View Post
I went through Vogue fabrics and for the 150
3M Thinsulate Fabric (Thermal Lining) CS150

Good price even with the shipping
just a heads up, this is not the correct thinsulate for our purposes. There are MANY different types of thinsulate, and this is the stuff for winter clothing like gloves and jackets.

Old 06-30-2019   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridspl View Post
Looking to add to headliner and rear deck of 2019 Accord. Only concern with Ultratouch is if the foil lining would cause noise
110% thinsulate. The automotive versions are specifically made for this

The Following User Says Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
hybridspl (07-01-2019)
Old 06-30-2019   #7

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 55 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

The back deck of my Accord is ensolite on the deck and a fd2 thickness ccf on the underside of the deck.
Old 06-30-2019   #8

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
just a heads up, this is not the correct thinsulate for our purposes. There are MANY different types of thinsulate, and this is the stuff for winter clothing like gloves and jackets.
Umm my buddy that's works for 3m says this is the exact stuff. He would get me some but he is in India for the next couple of months.
Old 06-30-2019   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfis View Post
Umm my buddy that's works for 3m says this is the exact stuff. He would get me some but he is in India for the next couple of months.
I assure you, it is not. Yes, it'll do pretty much the same thing if you do a couple of layers to build it up to the same volume, but this is the stuff that is made for clothing. The Automotive Thinsulate is all under the SML or AU model numbers. Without digging through the email chain again, if I remember correctly the difference is water and flame resistance, as well as density and thickness, and construction of the strands that make it up. I'm literally in the process of becoming a dealer for Thinsulate and this is the information that 3m is telling me, as well as showing me (the data). Your buddy may work for 3m, but 3m is a MASSIVE company. When i even call their automotive department some of the people dont even know what thinsulate is. They make so many god damn products (55,000 and growing according to google), that i wouldnt put it past anyone that "works there" to not give specialized advice on a random product you asked about. Just sayin', ya know?

Old 06-30-2019   #10

Enthusiast

That is exactly what he does Nick. He is high up in The synthetic fibers r&d. It's a chemical formula for synthetic fibers that's all theirs, it's the same the fire and moisture and different additives can be had and like you said different weights and thickness but it's the same material. They worked with Porsche to add a few mm (can't recall the number but thin) of thinsulate to the rag top to provide more than 3db less road noise so I'm not too concerned with having to add an extra layer or not. I will let him know the sales team is doing a great job in helping you with the perfect weight and thickness for resonix labeled thinsulate.
The Following User Says Thank You to dcfis For This Useful Post:
YeahWhatever (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 06-30-2019   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 54 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I assure you, it is not. Yes, it'll do pretty much the same thing if you do a couple of layers to build it up to the same volume, but this is the stuff that is made for clothing. The Automotive Thinsulate is all under the SML or AU model numbers. Without digging through the email chain again, if I remember correctly the difference is water and flame resistance, as well as density and thickness, and construction of the strands that make it up. I'm literally in the process of becoming a dealer for Thinsulate and this is the information that 3m is telling me, as well as showing me (the data). Your buddy may work for 3m, but 3m is a MASSIVE company. When i even call their automotive department some of the people dont even know what thinsulate is. They make so many god damn products (55,000 and growing according to google), that i wouldnt put it past anyone that "works there" to not give specialized advice on a random product you asked about. Just sayin', ya know?
You're a fount.
I'll watching for when you carry it.
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2019   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Thanks for the input as always Nick. Not sure how you turn out so many installs and still have time for us, but I appreciate it!

Old 07-01-2019   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridspl View Post
Thanks for the input as always Nick. Not sure how you turn out so many installs and still have time for us, but I appreciate it!
Because I'll sleep when I'm dead

Also, Kevin's a big help lol

Old 07-03-2019   #14

Rep Power: 80 willis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Do you have any idea how far out you are on offering this? I was about to buy a few feet of sm600l off ebay, but I am in no hurry and would rather give you the business.
willis36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis36 View Post
Do you have any idea how far out you are on offering this? I was about to buy a few feet of sm600l off ebay, but I am in no hurry and would rather give you the business.
Tbh, I'm not sure. I'm debating between the sm600l, the 400l, the 400au, and the Chinese stuff (which has it's own pros and cons).

Old 07-03-2019   #16
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 32 GreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Tbh, I'm not sure. I'm debating between the sm600l, the 400l, the 400au, and the Chinese stuff (which has it's own pros and cons).

The compressibility (or non-compressibility) for the sm600l is my real question. I know it comes compressed on the roll and expands outwards after. It has much better sound absorption properties in the region of 800-1200hz than the sm400l. IIRC that's the primary frequency range of tire-related road noise, which makes it an ideal choice if it can actually be squished down to fit behind panels.

2017 Chevy Bolt EV - Work in Progress: SS D3004/6040-10 Beryllium tweeters, SS 12mu mids, SS 18wu midbasses, SS 32w/4878T00 13" Subwoofer, SS 10F/4424 / Wavecor tw013wa01 (rear doors), SB65 (rear fill). MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 v2 DL, Arc Audio KS 300.2 v2, Arc Audio SKS300.6 Prototype, Arc Audio KS300.4 v2
GreatLaBroski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLaBroski View Post
The compressibility (or non-compressibility) for the sm600l is my real question. I know it comes compressed on the roll and expands outwards after. It has much better sound absorption properties in the region of 800-1200hz than the sm400l. IIRC that's the primary frequency range of tire-related road noise, which makes it an ideal choice if it can actually be squished down to fit behind panels.
That's the problem. It's not as "crushable" as the Chinese version. So itll absorb sound better, but idk if they will be neck and neck as a decoupler/ease of install

Old 07-04-2019   #18

Rep Power: 61 Rolow will become famous soon enoughRolow will become famous soon enoughRolow will become famous soon enoughRolow will become famous soon enoughRolow will become famous soon enoughRolow will become famous soon enough

I thought the tc-series was the automotive Thinsulate that Sound Deadener Showdown used to use?
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

Rep Power: 0 Hein_ will become famous soon enoughHein_ will become famous soon enoughHein_ will become famous soon enoughHein_ will become famous soon enoughHein_ will become famous soon enoughHein_ will become famous soon enough

Hello Everyone,

This is Hein with DIYvan.com. We are authorized by 3M to sell Thinsulate(TM) automotive grade acoustic insulation and cater mostly to the van up-fit market. I sold and installed mobile audio systems in my younger days and appreciate the need to good products to reduce noise and improve sound quality. I am a member of the SAE and we are in contact with the 3M vehicle NVH engineering team and will relay and respond to any questions that you may have. They have some interesting new damping materials coming later this year.

We stock SM600L, SM400L, AU4002-5 and also TAI1547 Thinsulate(TM). We also have minicell closed cell cross-linked polyethylene foam and Low-E (EZcool) We are the ebay and amazon vendor Impact Products.

Feel free to reach out to Kim or myself (via DIYvan.com) if you want to receive samples of Thinsulate(TM), Low-E or minicell. We would be happy to stock additional varieties of Thinsulate(TM) for your specific applications. Please let us know what you need and we will get some on our next shipment from 3M.

We look forward to serving your industry and helping everyone with their builds. Please call or write if you have any questions.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan.com
541 490 5098
Hein_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hein_ For This Useful Post:
hybridspl (3 Weeks Ago), YeahWhatever (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #20

Rep Power: 26 04quadcab will become famous soon enough04quadcab will become famous soon enough04quadcab will become famous soon enough04quadcab will become famous soon enough04quadcab will become famous soon enough04quadcab will become famous soon enough

It has been a while since I have been on the forums, help jog my memory. This stuff goes in the door panel to absorb the back wave, right? How do you keep it out of the power window mechanism?

Check out my YouTube, DIY Audio Guy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUj...esDh3sa8575qYw
04quadcab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #21

Rep Power: 32 disconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enough

Thinsulate

Corvette: Alpine ILX-207, Helix DSP.2, Mosconi AS 100.4, Audiofrog GB10, Stereo Integrity TM65mkii, SDS CLD Tiles, CCF, MLV, no subs.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

Rep Power: 0 Hein_ will become famous soon enoughHein_ will become famous soon enoughHein_ will become famous soon enoughHein_ will become famous soon enoughHein_ will become famous soon enoughHein_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04quadcab View Post
It has been a while since I have been on the forums, help jog my memory. This stuff goes in the door panel to absorb the back wave, right? How do you keep it out of the power window mechanism?
With vans, we generally recommend placing Thinsulate behind the plastic door panel. It can go into the door cavity against the outside body skin. The scrim cover will prevent fibers from interfering with the window and lock mechanisms but placement to avoid that is also important.

All the best,
Hein
Hein_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement