Suggestions for 4 or 6-Channel A/B Amp - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2019   #51

Rep Power: 15 DanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Suggestions for 4 or 6-Channel A/B Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynca View Post
What problems?

Bit one - noise issue in some units
Bit one HD - adlink2 port may not work with bit in HD modules unless you have a bit one hd r03a or bit in HD r03 modules.

Those are the only issues I've ever experienced with bit one line of DSP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For one I had to replace the DRC after (1) year. The hissing was driving me crazy. Also, there was a popping noise coming from either the 2nd DRC or the Bit One itself. The only remedy was to replace it with the Helix. I haven't had a problem since.

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee | Kenwood DDX9905s | Hertz ML700.3 & ML280.3 | Audio Development W600 | Audiofrog 10" GB10D4 | Helix Pro MK2 DSP | Zapco Z-II - {150.2/150.4/1KD Mono}
DanKind75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2019   #52

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 58 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKind75 View Post
For one I had to replace the DRC after (1) year. The hissing was driving me crazy. Also, there was a popping noise coming from either the 2nd DRC or the Bit One itself. The only remedy was to replace it with the Helix. I haven't had a problem since.
Helix dsps are like Porsche's, expensive, always works even when run hard, and totally worth it.
dcfis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019   #53

Rep Power: 15 DanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfis View Post
Helix dsps are like Porsche's, expensive, always works even when run hard, and totally worth it.
Absolutely!... Now it's the head-scratching process of finding the best amps to marry them with. This seems to be the challenge. Finding the balance between power and sound quality is tough. But so far the front runner - for me - seems to be (2) Zapco Z-150.4 II & (1) Zapco Z-1KD II Class D Mono. The other thing I'm thinking of is cost vs. value. These amps seem to tickle the right spot!

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee | Kenwood DDX9905s | Hertz ML700.3 & ML280.3 | Audio Development W600 | Audiofrog 10" GB10D4 | Helix Pro MK2 DSP | Zapco Z-II - {150.2/150.4/1KD Mono}
DanKind75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 223 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

There is always the option of the z150.4 plus an old school high quality a/b amplifier on the tweets to make it interesting and more affordable.

But matching is important for some. I just got a zapco st-204d sq which is like 185x4 @ 4 but its class d, (sounds great though) I was running an OS Zapco Studio 300x but it died after 25 years of use so I grabbed that for a great deal.

I didnt want to change my sub amp really or need to feed that much to my tweeters (in reality 50-75 watts is fine) so the class d monoblock had to go as the new zapco 4 channel powders my midwoofers and single 10 (185x2+560x1) and I use an old zapco studio 100 on my tweeters and those are my all time favorite amps. I like it. I can hardly tell a difference from my previous 300x with the current d class zapco on woofers. I think you can benefit from a/b most on the tweets

I always prefer a/b on tweets and mids but Im impressed with the new st-d zapcos. Maybe toss an old A/D/S or amp your drooled over 20 years ago on the tweets. A nice 50-75 japanese nak or alpine, old zapcos, audio arts, tube... Its the fun part.

Subaru Impreza - Pioneer MVH-1400NEX - Zapco Studio 100 - ESB DT 8.25 - Zapco ST-204D SQ - ESB 8.165 - Sundown SD3-10

Jeep Patriot - JBL MS8 - Alpine PDR-F50 - Kenwood KFC-XP6902C (6x9 + 2.75 wideband) - MB Quart P19 tweets - Alpine PDR-M65 - Boston Acoustics g5 10"

Last edited by tyroneshoes; 07-14-2019 at 12:57 AM..
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2019   #55

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 58 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

I used to run studios back in the day
dcfis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2019   #56
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 361 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnae38 View Post
Can you comment on anything you have noticed from going from the ks900.6 to the AP? Any changes/improvements in sound etc, that is..

Suppose there is a chance you don't want to go there..... lol. If not, I understand.

I changed too much at once to contribute everything to just the amps. I went from a KS900.6 & KS600.2 with Arc Black 12 sub and Mosconi 6to8 V8 to a Z-150.6AP & (2x) Z-400.2AP with a pair of Raven 10XLs and a Helix DSP.2 all in one shot. Now having said all of that, I am very happy with the current setup. Plenty of power and the amps seem dead quiet. I really don't care for hyperbolic audiophile jargon, but the APs do seem very transparent. I would definitely consider them an upgrade from the KS.

Now, I do still think the KS represents quite a good value for the money. The KS900.6 has some QC issues that I don't think are present in the rest of the line. And I think you know that as well as just about anyone. I know I went through my share of KS900.6s, but Arc was always really good about taking care of me if/when I had an issue.

Kenwood DDX9905S | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rton20s For This Useful Post:
bnae38 (07-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement