Suggestions for 4 or 6-Channel A/B Amp - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2019   #1

Rep Power: 13 DanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enough

Default Suggestions for 4 or 6-Channel A/B Amp

Hello all...

With all the talk about amps on these forums and no conversations about A/B amps, this has sparked my interest. For those with experience with A/B amps, what say you? I'm working on adding a couple of Hertz Mille Legend ML700.3 midrange speakers for the A-pillars to go with my Mille ML280 tweeters. I also just picked up a pair of GB60's from Skizer and bought a GB10D4 10" sub from Crutchfield. With all that being said, my budget has become limited. I'm doing my best to do most of the labor stuff myself to save a few bucks. When I'm done with the A pillars Mr. Apicella & Mr. Mullings will be doing the tune.

I have been eying the Audison Voce 5.1k 5 channel. Seems like the best choice so far. So I'm just curious what the experienced folks have to suggest?...

Just a side note: It must be an A/B AMP!!!

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee | Kenwood DDX9905s | Hertz ML700.3 & ML280.3 | Audio Development W600 | Audiofrog 10" GB10D4 | Helix Pro MK2 DSP | Zapco Z-II - {150.2/150.4/1KD Mono}

Last edited by DanKind75; 07-06-2019 at 08:29 PM..
DanKind75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 66 bnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Suggestions for 4 or 6-Channel A/B Amp

I love my arc ks900.6.

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan. Pioneer P880prs, Helix Dsp.2, JL 12w6v2 sealed, Arc KS1000.1, Modified Arc KS900.6, FI N.7 midbass, Illusion Audio C3cx. Ipod Classic - apple lossless. Just keep tryin' to get a little better.
bnae38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2019   #3

Rep Power: 31 Patriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnae38 View Post
I love my arc ks900.6.
I'm just curious, where do you mount those amps in your Impreza?
Patriot83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 66 bnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot83 View Post
I'm just curious, where do you mount those amps in your Impreza?
I used to mount them on the back of the rear seats, I have an amp rack now is mounted diagonally from my box to the corner of the trunk. One amp on top, the other on the bottom.

I went down to one sub a few years ago and was able to redo some things while saving space and finally get the amps off the seats too.

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan. Pioneer P880prs, Helix Dsp.2, JL 12w6v2 sealed, Arc KS1000.1, Modified Arc KS900.6, FI N.7 midbass, Illusion Audio C3cx. Ipod Classic - apple lossless. Just keep tryin' to get a little better.

Last edited by bnae38; 07-07-2019 at 09:09 AM..
Old 07-07-2019   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Since nobody else has chimed in... think the zapco ap150.6 would be the go-to 6ch class ab amp. If you can swing the price, that is.

Old 07-07-2019   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 304 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Zapco 150.4 or 150.6 all the way. They just plain work! Plenty of people on here still run a/b amps. Just easy to get lost in all the super tiny class D talk. I still prefer a/b on mids and highs even if the difference is all in my head when compared to the better designed D amps.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...I'd rather be hated for my honesty than loved for being fake
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2019   #7

Rep Power: 31 Patriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
Zapco 150.4 or 150.6 all the way. They just plain work! Plenty of people on here still run a/b amps. Just easy to get lost in all the super tiny class D talk. I still prefer a/b on mids and highs even if the difference is all in my head when compared to the better designed D amps.
I think more people would run AB amps if they had the space. Isn't 150-160 watts per channel the Zapco's put out pretty risky for most tweeters, even with the gains down? I have a zapco AB amp that I'm going to have to get creative with to find a place to mount it.
Old 07-07-2019   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 304 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot83 View Post
I think more people would run AB amps if they had the space. Isn't 150-160 watts per channel the Zapco's put out pretty risky for most tweeters, even with the gains down? I have a zapco AB amp that I'm going to have to get creative with to find a place to mount it.
I know someone with an AVAILABLE 500rms to EACH tweeter. He has a pair of 150.6's bridged to his 3-way front. Gains at minimum and pulled down in the processor is all you need to do. The amp will only put out as much as you tell it to.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...I'd rather be hated for my honesty than loved for being fake
Old 07-07-2019   #9

Quote:
I know someone with an AVAILABLE 500rms to EACH tweeter. He has a pair of 150.6's bridged to his 3-way front. Gains at minimum and pulled down in the processor is all you need to do. The amp will only put out as much as you tell it to.
Damnit, I knew I shouldn't have said anything. You're tempting me to go to the bigger zapco
Old 07-07-2019   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 109 dacheatham will become famous soon enoughdacheatham will become famous soon enoughdacheatham will become famous soon enoughdacheatham will become famous soon enoughdacheatham will become famous soon enoughdacheatham will become famous soon enough

You could just sell me the 700.3s and not have to worry about it!

In all seriousness, I have a Zapco ST-4SQ bridged to my 1800.3s and a ST-2SQ on my 280.3. I love how they sound. I can only think the higher level Zapco amps would be even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dacheatham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2019   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,175 Posts
Rep Power: 452 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What's the point if..

1) an all things equal amp but with more power will have a higher noise floor

2) takes up more space for zero reason (unless your like me, and aesthetically like filling up available space)

3) is fully aware that they dont even use 10% of what they have at any time

I dont get it. This whole headroom thing is getting silly

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
Truthunter (07-08-2019)
Old 07-07-2019   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
What's the point if..

2) takes up more space for zero reason (unless your like me, and aesthetically like filling up available space)

Those people in extreme class be crazy yo! You've probably heard the system I'm referring to. Bill's FJ. Personally, the rated 80x4 and 130x2 of a/b power I'm running does fine. I have a really low noise floor so totally happy in that respect

Old 07-07-2019   #13

Rep Power: 13 DanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacheatham View Post
You could just sell me the 700.3s and not have to worry about it!

In all seriousness, I have a Zapco ST-4SQ bridged to my 1800.3s and a ST-2SQ on my 280.3. I love how they sound. I can only think the higher level Zapco amps would be even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's not but say we did!...

That's where the Mille's shine. The ML280.3 & ML700.3 marriage with the right A/B amp would be orgasmic!!!

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee | Kenwood DDX9905s | Hertz ML700.3 & ML280.3 | Audio Development W600 | Audiofrog 10" GB10D4 | Helix Pro MK2 DSP | Zapco Z-II - {150.2/150.4/1KD Mono}
Old 07-07-2019   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 183 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
What's the point if..

Headroom... heh. Kinda like:

chithead is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to chithead For This Useful Post:
Truthunter (07-08-2019)
Old 07-07-2019   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 160 foreman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enough

Ill have a zed audio leviathan for sale soon. Would have plenty of power. Just have to wait a few weeks for me to get home. Good price on it.

Deck-DEX-P99Rs, Amp-Arc xdi v2 1200.6
Dash-Xtant XIS 2.4
Doors-Scan Rev's, sub SI Mag 4....
foreman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2019   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreman View Post
Ill have a zed audio leviathan for sale soon. Would have plenty of power. Just have to wait a few weeks for me to get home. Good price on it.
Sweet! Do you know the model yet? Just would like to look up the details on it.

Btw, where in NY are you? I'm up in Albany.

Old 07-07-2019   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 160 foreman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enough

Its the MKIII and its the leviathan. Im in Rochester but i go ti Syracuse ince a month or so. Could definitely meet up somewhere.

Deck-DEX-P99Rs, Amp-Arc xdi v2 1200.6
Dash-Xtant XIS 2.4
Doors-Scan Rev's, sub SI Mag 4....
foreman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2019   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 236 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

I'll vouch for him if his feedback isn't good enough for you, lol. Some of mine probably back in there. The Leviathan is a good choice, as is the Zapco 150.6. I'm running 2 channels of that 150.6 on my HLCDs.... talk about overkill, right? lol I've also got a DC750.2 on the tweeters in my Z.

I like POWAH, what can I say? lol

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2019   #19

Rep Power: 79 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

The DLS CCi-44 has been my favorite class A/B so far.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2019   #20

Thanks guys. All of these suggestions seem legitimate. I've been doing some research and they all seem like great amps. I have been really thinking about that Audison Voce 5.1k though. But if i remember correctly they had their own issues as well.

On a side note... Like I mentioned before I have the Mille ML700.3 3" midrange that I'm installing on the A pillars and the Mille ML280.3 tweeters that I have on the sails already. The wires on these tweeters seem to be around 18 or even 20 gauge. I'd like to run new 14 gauge wire for this 3-way setup. Any thoughts on how I should approach this dilemma?

Old 07-08-2019   #21

Rep Power: 79 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

18-20 gauge wire on the tweeters should be plenty big for the tiny little bit of power they will use (less than 8 watts). Just run the speaker wire you have (larger wire) to the tweeter wire, connect them, and mount them.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2019   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 236 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

Just run your 14g wire and tie into the tweeters' 18g or 20g pigtails. It's all overkill, tweeters will actually see very low power and don't need heavy wire, run the heavier stuff just to match everything else in your install and for your peace of mind. There's no real dilemma.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2019   #23

Rep Power: 19 Nakamichifan will become famous soon enoughNakamichifan will become famous soon enoughNakamichifan will become famous soon enoughNakamichifan will become famous soon enoughNakamichifan will become famous soon enoughNakamichifan will become famous soon enough

I recommend my Zed Nakamichi PA-506 which is available. 6x50 but underrated. Still new w/ box and manual. 20lbs of A/B goodness here.
Nakamichifan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2019   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 180 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKind75 View Post
Sweet! Do you know the model yet? Just would like to look up the details on it.

Btw, where in NY are you? I'm up in Albany.

Just a heads up, the Leviathan is class D. Great amp though.

'17 Hyundai Sonata SE : Alpine PXE-0850S - Alpine PDX-V9 - Illusion C3CX - Audiofrog GS60 - Kicker SoloClassic15 (x2, IB)
fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2019   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
Just a heads up, the Leviathan is class D. Great amp though.
Thank for that info. I couldn't find anything mentioning the class on the web. I think I'm gonna hold off and save for the Audison Voce or the Zapco. Preferably the Zapco AP! Seems like those are the amps that fit the bill of what I'm looking for. I much rather go with a new one also.

Thanks for the help guys!...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement