Tweeter recommendations - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 0 nappyboo will become famous soon enoughnappyboo will become famous soon enoughnappyboo will become famous soon enoughnappyboo will become famous soon enoughnappyboo will become famous soon enoughnappyboo will become famous soon enough

Default Tweeter recommendations

Hey, guys. Looking for some budget tweeter recommendations to pair up with Stevens Audio mb6-4's. I recently just purchased the SA's as my old Elemental Designs comp set has finally bit the dust. I will be running just a 2 way passive set up in a 08 Acura TSX. I'm trying to keep everything factory and not looking to have the car modded. The tweeter placement is in the dash in the corners of the windshield. The factory size is 1" and I need a tweet that has no flange and large housing so it can squeeze in. My budget is around $80 new or gently used. They will be running off an Alpine pdx-f4. Attached is pics of what the stock looks like. My previous ED comp tweeters fit right in there perfectly and I'm hoping to replicate that. I just missed out on some HAT clarus tweets that look like they would have fit perfectly and would have gone well with the HAT clarus xovers I have.

TLDR
1" tweeters for around $80 with no flange or large housing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tweeter1.jpg (160.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg tweeter2.jpg (219.3 KB, 15 views)
nappyboo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 358 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Tweeter recommendations

Dimensional limitations will make all the difference in the world here. Probably THE go to recommendations for 2-way setups are the Scanspeak R/D3004s and SB Acoustics SB29RDCN. However, both of these have a good size flange (61.9mm & 72mm), decent size cut out diameter (48.4mm & 55mm) and mounting depth (21.5mm & 26.9mm). They are both also priced outside of your budget.

Similar in size, but lower in price is the Wavecor TW022WA04 from Solen in Canada. (Available from Parts Express at a significantly higher price point.) Looking a bit more compact and trying to meet your price point, I would take a look at the Alpine SPX tweeters on ebay, the TBI HDSS TWEP51 tweeters on Amazon/DIYMA and the Tang Band 25-2176S from Parts Express. Bumping your budget up to around $100 opens up options like the Seas 27T (hard or soft dome) and LPG 26NA.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rton20s For This Useful Post:
nappyboo (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Rep Power: 0 nappyboo will become famous soon enoughnappyboo will become famous soon enoughnappyboo will become famous soon enoughnappyboo will become famous soon enoughnappyboo will become famous soon enoughnappyboo will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the response and suggestions. The pictures I posted are probably a bit misleading (not my pics). I intend to use that same grill to go back into the dash and clip back into place. Thus I believe I will need a set that is 1" or less with no flange. Here are some examples that I THINK would work, but would really prefer something of better quality.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--275-114

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadence-ZRS...kAAOSwikNcrQFV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2550.jpg (224.2 KB, 10 views)

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 370 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

This is a little tricky, in a 2-way setup the tweeter is very important (more important than the mid in my opinion). In a 2-way you need a tweeter that can play low, tweeters that play low are usually either large, or expensive, neither are good for what you're looking at.

Can you up the budget, or at least make a bit more space?

Check out parts express, there are some peerless and tangband flangless tweeters that might work for you. They won't play particularly low, but you should find something that fits the space, and your budget.

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/tw...%5D&PortalID=1
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to gijoe For This Useful Post:
nappyboo (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Yes, I can up the budget a little. I'm not extremely picky when it comes to sound (yet) as I don't think I have the ears for it. I've been listening to "lower" quality car audio since I was 15. I am trying not to mod it though and would like a tweeter that will slide right in. Basically plug and play. I recently purchased some Audison Voce 1.1's on here hoping I could squeeze them in or make them work and it's not really close with the housing being quite large on those.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Rep Power: 79 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

I agree with Rton20 and gijoe. The tweeter is so important in a two way system. I learned that the hard ware. If you can make those SB Acoustics SB29RDCN Neo magnet tweeters fit than man those are awesome for their price point. They compare very well to my much more expensive AudioFrog GB15.

Two ways are full of compromises but the tweeter should not be one of them.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 358 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking Audiofrog GB10 OE might work, but those are 1.5" diameter. Your 1" (25.4) diameter requirement will be nearly impossible to meet with something that works really well in a 2-way install. I thought maybe the Wavecor TW022 with the faceplate removed would work, but even then they are over 39mm in diameter.

At this point, it is more a challenge of trying to find something that will even fit. Maybe take a look at the SB Acoustics SB14ST-C000-04 from Solen. These are only 24.2mm in diameter and run you under $70 shipped.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 235 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

Morel MDT 12 are like $70 a pair and are a decent little starter tweet. I've got mine crossed at 2500Hz. They're a quite good little tweet to start out with and will do exactly what you need, until you decide to drop some decent coin on a high end set.

<edit> Using a passive from another set complicates things a lot. The Morels are 8-ohm, so that may be a dealbreaker. Damn.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRidiot View Post
Morel MDT 12 are like...
an inch larger than what he says will fit.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post

At this point, it is more a challenge of trying to find something that will even fit. Maybe take a look at the SB Acoustics SB14ST-C000-04 from Solen. These are only 24.2mm in diameter and run you under $70 shipped.

Yeah, it is quite hard to find something that fits right in. I guess I was really lucky when transferring my old components to this car. I was thinking along the lines of buying a pair from a nice 2 way component set. The hat clarus/unity and phd tweeters for their 2 way sets look similar to those sb acoustics as an example.Thanks for that option I had not come across those yet. I guess I could also ask the shop near me how much they would charge to mod fit other options and how they could do it.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11

Looking at old Acura forums I came across this. I wouldn't mind this set up as it still looks clean and it would allow me to go with a larger tweeter (maybe 1.5"). What would you call this kind of angled mounting kit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0123.jpg (64.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0122.jpg (54.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

I'm a bit surprised that the actual tweeter is 1" outside diameter. Have you actually measured with a caliper? Or even a tape measure? You may be leaving a lot of options on the table if you are unnecessarily limiting the tweeter size. If you haven't, it is probably worth popping out a tweeter & grill and taking some measurements. Tweeter diameter & depth, grill housing diameter & depth, dash opening diameter & available mounting depth.

Angle mounting kits like the one you've shown are out there, but typically aren't available with most "raw" drivers. You find them more commonly in car audio branded options. LPG does have some flush mount cups (no angle) that could give you a similar look with LPG or Seas tweeters.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
I'm a bit surprised that the actual tweeter is 1" outside diameter. Have you actually measured with a caliper? Or even a tape measure? You may be leaving a lot of options on the table if you are unnecessarily limiting the tweeter size. If you haven't, it is probably worth popping out a tweeter & grill and taking some measurements. Tweeter diameter & depth, grill housing diameter & depth, dash opening diameter & available mounting depth.

Angle mounting kits like the one you've shown are out there, but typically aren't available with most "raw" drivers. You find them more commonly in car audio branded options. LPG does have some flush mount cups (no angle) that could give you a similar look with LPG or Seas tweeters.
Great suggestions. Thanks. Yeah, I will probably have to pop one out and get some measurements, but the Voce 1.1 was not even close to fitting right in. Depth is not really an issue just need the diameter of both the tweeter and the grill.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 190 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

You can make this work:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-dome-tweeter/

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 RM12 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 221 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Id personally consider a used MB quart PTE25 or QTD25 . About 1" wide, can be crossed over around 2.5 no problem and excels in off axis locations.

TBI's also comes with a wedge mount that looks very nice and i used them on my a-pillars in my old car (with diff tweeters). If you have measurements, I can let you know what type of tweeters would fit easy. I have pretty much all of these mentioned tweeters at my place. I can sell you some or just link you.

Try looking at the Vifa/peerless .75 soft domes as well. Work great in that location.

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...eter--264-1006

Do you know where the passive xover point is on your elemental passives?

If interested, I think using some mb quart passives + tweeters and the elemental woofer would be an awesome setup. Knocks down the crossover to 2.4 and adds ability to tune and bi amp and the stars of mb quart component sets were never the woofers. The premium and QSD line tweeters are the gems...and later the german Maestro widespheres when they were still made in germany, not German Maestro. Still some of the best car audio tweeters Ive heard but they are lively. I have every type even the tiny rte19s which are tiny

Subaru Impreza - Pioneer MVH-1400NEX - Zapco Studio 100 - ESB DT 8.25 - Zapco ST-204D SQ - ESB 8.165 - Sundown SD3-10

Jeep Patriot - JBL MS8 - Alpine PDR-F50 - Kenwood KFC-XP6902C (6x9 + 2.75 wideband) - MB Quart P19 tweets - Alpine PDR-M65 - Boston Acoustics g5 10"

Last edited by tyroneshoes; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:45 AM..
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to tyroneshoes For This Useful Post:
nappyboo (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16

Rep Power: 0 javcolin will become famous soon enoughjavcolin will become famous soon enoughjavcolin will become famous soon enoughjavcolin will become famous soon enoughjavcolin will become famous soon enoughjavcolin will become famous soon enough

Check the Vifa / tympani at parts express, cheap and good for the money also you can sort them by diameter, and so on to suit your needs
javcolin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
Yeah, these were posted above and interest me for sure. Once I take some measurements I will have a better idea, but paired with the LPG cups this could be a nice option for me and around my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneshoes View Post
Id personally consider a used MB quart PTE25 or QTD25 . About 1" wide, can be crossed over around 2.5 no problem and excels in off axis locations.

TBI's also comes with a wedge mount that looks very nice and i used them on my a-pillars in my old car (with diff tweeters). If you have measurements, I can let you know what type of tweeters would fit easy. I have pretty much all of these mentioned tweeters at my place. I can sell you some or just link you.

Try looking at the Vifa/peerless .75 soft domes as well. Work great in that location.

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...eter--264-1006
These .75 domes still have a large flange that gives it a 2" mounting diameter though. I'll let you know about the MB's although they are both 6 ohm tweets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javcolin View Post
Check the Vifa / tympani at parts express, cheap and good for the money also you can sort them by diameter, and so on to suit your needs
Same as above. They all have a very wide mounting diameter.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 221 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyboo View Post
Yeah, these were posted above and interest me for sure. Once I take some measurements I will have a better idea, but paired with the LPG cups this could be a nice option for me and around my budget.

These .75 domes still have a large flange that gives it a 2" mounting diameter though. I'll let you know about the MB's although they are both 6 ohm tweets.

Same as above. They all have a very wide mounting diameter.
Yep, you can dremel them though. 2" is kinda typical. I didnt realize you were using a passive x over.

These will work

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...eter--264-1002

wont get much smaller than 1.3" overall diameter

great price on these too. Small

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pair-Ge...cAAOSwFNZWxTGL

Subaru Impreza - Pioneer MVH-1400NEX - Zapco Studio 100 - ESB DT 8.25 - Zapco ST-204D SQ - ESB 8.165 - Sundown SD3-10

Jeep Patriot - JBL MS8 - Alpine PDR-F50 - Kenwood KFC-XP6902C (6x9 + 2.75 wideband) - MB Quart P19 tweets - Alpine PDR-M65 - Boston Acoustics g5 10"

Last edited by tyroneshoes; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:12 AM..
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #19

Well, you guys were right about measuring. I was off and this has opened up my options. The tweeter itself is 1.5" (38mm) and the tweeter housing/grill is about 2 3/16 inches (55 mm).

I actually fit my Voce 1.1 with the housing ring on there pretty securely. I think I will go with those for now even though it won't look stock. Open to suggestions though.

Edit: I don't know where the xover is set at on my Elemental design passives, but I just bought some used HAT Clarus passives off ebay to possibly replace them if that helps at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190719_171000.jpg (1.07 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190719_171051.jpg (2.25 MB, 5 views)

Last edited by nappyboo; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:45 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement