C6 Corvette Speaker Replacement - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 Tresca will become famous soon enoughTresca will become famous soon enoughTresca will become famous soon enoughTresca will become famous soon enoughTresca will become famous soon enoughTresca will become famous soon enough

Default C6 Corvette Speaker Replacement

I'm looking for recommendations for the front door speakers in a C6 corvette. The factory speaker is a 8" with a 10' opening in the door.

I've read posts on the web that complain about a significant reduction on bass with 6-1/2" speakers that fit the available speaker adapters, but I'm able to make my adapters myself if necessary.

For 6-1/2" speakers, I'm looking at the Audison AV6 or Hertz 165 XL that I've found online at an elevated price.

What are your thoughts on the two I've mentioned? Are there other 6-1/2" speakers superior to these two? Has anyone tried the Dynaudio MW172? Thanks!
Tresca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 236 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: C6 Corvette Speaker Replacement

Dyns are great, overall. If you want to go 2-way, a great solid midbass can work well in there with some good door treatment. You could go with the Morel 9", or Stereo Integrity TM65s (mkII or mkII), I am sure a bunch here will probably recommend some Audiofrog offerings, I'm not overly familiar with those...

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019   #3

Rep Power: 31 Redliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enough

There is a lot more than throwing a speaker in if your looking for great sq. Are you going active? Ever used a dsp? Are you gonna use the factory headunit? Budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redliner99 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Rep Power: 0 Tresca will become famous soon enoughTresca will become famous soon enoughTresca will become famous soon enoughTresca will become famous soon enoughTresca will become famous soon enoughTresca will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner99 View Post
There is a lot more than throwing a speaker in if your looking for great sq. Are you going active? Ever used a dsp? Are you gonna use the factory headunit? Budget?

I’ll be using a active 3 way and would like to keep the speaker budget to $1k.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Rep Power: 32 disconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enough

I am upgrading from the C5 FRC to the C6. Stereo Integrity TM65mkII, Audiofrog GB25 and Audiofrog GB10, Mosconi amps, Helix DSP.

Corvette: Alpine ILX-207, Helix DSP.2, Mosconi AS 100.4, Audiofrog GB10, Stereo Integrity TM65mkii, SDS CLD Tiles, CCF, MLV, no subs.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 148 jebcamaro has a spectacular aura aboutjebcamaro has a spectacular aura aboutjebcamaro has a spectacular aura aboutjebcamaro has a spectacular aura aboutjebcamaro has a spectacular aura aboutjebcamaro has a spectacular aura aboutjebcamaro has a spectacular aura aboutjebcamaro has a spectacular aura aboutjebcamaro has a spectacular aura aboutjebcamaro has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I am upgrading from the C5 FRC to the C6. Stereo Integrity TM65mkII, Audiofrog GB25 and Audiofrog GB10, Mosconi amps, Helix DSP.
Where do you plan to install all your amps and dsp? I'm about to do an install on my c6z and I'm still on the fence if I want to add so much audio equipment.
jebcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jebcamaro For This Useful Post:
Redliner99 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Anyone with direct experience in a c6 corvette with the Dynaudio MW172, AD 800neo or the 6-1/2” mentioned?

Where would one purchase the 800neo in the USA?
The Following User Says Thank You to Tresca For This Useful Post:
Redliner99 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 956 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

I ran ZR800CW's in a C5, glorious setup. Since they are made of unobtanium right now, I think the AD 800 Neo is a great secondary option. Maybe finish it off with an Audiofrog GB combo. I made simple pillars in the C5 that housed SEAS tweets, but AF wasn't out then or otherwise I would have used them. Mids for me were Fountek FR89EX in small sealed pods that also made up the door baffle to the ZR. Again, AF would be the go-to for higher budgets.

edit: I see your budget post there and this setup above might go over it. Any thoughts on using Stevens MB8, his mid, and his awesome tweeter from the SA6 component set? That might get there.

I'll defer to other folks to suggest where to buy AD equipment, but I do have the 600W's and I do think they are fantastic, so I'm sure you'd be happy w/ the neo. Maybe toss a WTB ad out and see what bites.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's
2018 WRX, Helix V Eight and G-One, AD W600, AP AR3 & AR20, AE AV10H-D2
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9

Rep Power: 32 disconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebcamaro View Post
Where do you plan to install all your amps and dsp? I'm about to do an install on my c6z and I'm still on the fence if I want to add so much audio equipment.

Corvette: Alpine ILX-207, Helix DSP.2, Mosconi AS 100.4, Audiofrog GB10, Stereo Integrity TM65mkii, SDS CLD Tiles, CCF, MLV, no subs.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10

Rep Power: 21 Pb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enough

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...-corvette.html

I've been down this road brother...I haven't heard any of the speakers you mentioned in a Corvette. I've heard the Dyns in other cars though. They're nice for sure. I'm a Focal fanboy though...I've NEVER heard a Focal that sounded bad. Is 1K the WHOLE budget, or just for the speakers? Do you have any other gear yet?

Yes, I have cars. They have aftermarket audio.
Pb82 Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11

Rep Power: 31 Redliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresca View Post
Anyone with direct experience in a c6 corvette with the Dynaudio MW172, AD 800neo or the 6-1/2” mentioned?

Where would one purchase the 800neo in the USA?

Contact Emilio on Facebook on the sq page.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebcamaro View Post

Maybe look at a vxi amp for a simple all in one local shop here where a friend installs says they can be made to sound pretty damn good

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13

Rep Power: 38 Curt D will become famous soon enoughCurt D will become famous soon enoughCurt D will become famous soon enoughCurt D will become famous soon enoughCurt D will become famous soon enoughCurt D will become famous soon enough

Running 2 Mosconi AS200.4s and Zapco DSP. Pic shows the old Mosconi controller. I'm process of switching mid and tweets. Dyne MW172s, Audiofrog GB25s in upper stock location (modified), Dyne MD102s in pillars. In the process of making new pillars for GB10s.
I'm very happy with the MW172s, that's' why they are staying in. Selling the MD102s and MD142s.
The speaker in the stock upper location sits back about 2" from the door panel. It works, but it is not ideal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170331_185354.jpg (1.01 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20190719_114929.jpg (874.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20190720_181146.jpg (966.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0275.jpg (1.14 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20161111_095941.jpg (941.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20161210_103604.jpg (965.8 KB, 5 views)
Curt D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14

Rep Power: 21 Pb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enough

Curt, have you tuned yet? Out of curiosity, what are you going to use as your crossover freqs for the MW172s?

Yes, I have cars. They have aftermarket audio.
Pb82 Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15

Rep Power: 38 Curt D will become famous soon enoughCurt D will become famous soon enoughCurt D will become famous soon enoughCurt D will become famous soon enoughCurt D will become famous soon enoughCurt D will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin View Post
Curt, have you tuned yet? Out of curiosity, what are you going to use as your crossover freqs for the MW172s?
I had it tuned with dyne midbass, tweeter, and Hybrid L3SE mids. The MW172 played 55 - 315 24db slope LR. It was tuned for SQ.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt D View Post
Running 2 Mosconi AS200.4s and Zapco DSP. Pic shows the old Mosconi controller. I'm process of switching mid and tweets. Dyne MW172s, Audiofrog GB25s in upper stock location (modified), Dyne MD102s in pillars. In the process of making new pillars for GB10s.
I'm very happy with the MW172s, that's' why they are staying in. Selling the MD102s and MD142s.
The speaker in the stock upper location sits back about 2" from the door panel. It works, but it is not ideal.
How is the clearance for the MW172s? What thickness did you use for the adapters?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresca View Post
How is the clearance for the MW172s? What thickness did you use for the adapters?
Not sure, I had them installed a couple years back. I just had the panels off last week though. The black adapter plate is .187 thick abs but there are also MDF rings in there. If you don't position the midbass directly on center, I know you can move it toward the door panel much further. It sits back from the face of the door panel about an inch. Inside of the panel needs to be trimmed in order to move it out further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement