How low can I cross the SB Acoustics SB29SDAC-C000-4? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2019   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 115 TheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enough

Question How low can I cross the SB Acoustics SB29RDCN-C000-4?

Running a 2 way set up with these tweeters. I was thinking 2K at 24db.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2000 BMW 323Ci Convertible - Dynaudio 650, Morel CCWR254, Hertz Mille (Old Version) ML280, IDMAX 10 (IB), Dynaudio 430 + ML280 (Center Channel), JBL MS-8, Alpine PDX-V9, Helix P Six DSP MK2, Soundstream PN2.350D + MB Quartz QSC210 (rear fill), Alpine Halo9 iLX-F309.

Last edited by TheHulk9er; 07-19-2019 at 09:16 PM..
TheHulk9er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2019   #2

Rep Power: 83 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

Default Re: How low can I cross the SB Acoustics SB29SDAC-C000-4?

What size mid woofer are you using with these. Crossing to avoid beaming frequencies of the mid-woofer is all you really need but not so low that you stress the tweeter either. You can cross them at 2k but if you donít need to than higher is safer. People have crossed these over as low as 1500 Hz with a steep crossover but I wouldnít recommend it if you donít have to. I have mine at 2500 Hz with Focal PS 165V mid woofers and that is a good point that works for my particular system.

EDIT: just realized you have something different, I have experience with the SB Acoustics SB29RDCN-C000-4 Neo Magnet, Ring Dome Tweeter so throw this out the window.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2019   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 68 bnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enough

I used its little brother for awhile, https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...weeter-4-ohms/

I could hear distortion crossed low, I ran them pretty high.. fwiw.

Ended up going to ring radiator JC referenced (the nvx variant), and like them much better.

Of course I've moved on from that too.. and now run a coaxial

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan. Pioneer P880prs, Helix Dsp.2, JL 12w6v2 sealed, Arc KS1000.1, Modified Arc KS900.6, FI N.7 midbass, Illusion Audio C3cx. Ipod Classic - apple lossless. Just keep tryin' to get a little better.
bnae38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 115 TheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
What size mid woofer are you using with these. Crossing to avoid beaming frequencies of the mid-woofer is all you really need but not so low that you stress the tweeter either. You can cross them at 2k but if you donít need to than higher is safer. People have crossed these over as low as 1500 Hz with a steep crossover but I wouldnít recommend it if you donít have to. I have mine at 2500 Hz with Focal PS 165V mid woofers and that is a good point that works for my particular system.

EDIT: just realized you have something different, I have experience with the SB Acoustics SB29RDCN-C000-4 Neo Magnet, Ring Dome Tweeter so throw this out the window.
Actually you were right I had the wrong tweeter referenced in my title (I corrected before this reply). Thanks for the info!

I am surprised that a tweeter with an FS of 680 hz would struggle to be crossed lower. On the Madisound website they note: IEC 268-5 high pass butterworth, 2600 Hz, 12 dB/oct which would put it 12 dB's down at 1300 Hz. A 24 dB at 2000 Hz would put the 12 dB point at 1500. I'm not disagreeing with your take I'm just surprised.

So what do you think of the SB29RDCN-C000-4 tweeters having used them for a while? Thanks!

2000 BMW 323Ci Convertible - Dynaudio 650, Morel CCWR254, Hertz Mille (Old Version) ML280, IDMAX 10 (IB), Dynaudio 430 + ML280 (Center Channel), JBL MS-8, Alpine PDX-V9, Helix P Six DSP MK2, Soundstream PN2.350D + MB Quartz QSC210 (rear fill), Alpine Halo9 iLX-F309.
Old 07-20-2019   #5

Rep Power: 83 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

To be honest I have never pushed this tweeter below 2200 Hz and settled on 2500 Hz so when I talk about it, itís in reference to using it this way in my van with the Focal woofers. Before I settled on this tweeter I had tried other tweeters from Peerless, Morel, and Focal. None of them even came close to sounding as good as these sound. I swapped these without telling my wife and she noticed it right away. These give me an open wide stage with good off axis response in my system and they have super low distortion. They have just the right amount of detail and are easy to EQ. I also have the AudioFrog GB15 and GB10 to compare these to and these are about as good as you will get for that price point in my opinion. They are right up there with my AF tweeters for a fraction of the cost. Donít be afraid of using these tweeters because I give these an excellent overall rating and they are a bargain for what they cost if you can fit them.

In the spec sheet by SB the fs is listed as 580 Hz. http://www.madisound.com/store/manua...DCN-C000-4.pdf

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
The Following User Says Thank You to JCsAudio For This Useful Post:
ambesolman (08-06-2019)
Old 07-20-2019   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
To be honest I have never pushed this tweeter below 2200 Hz and settled on 2500 Hz so when I talk about it, itís in reference to using it this way in my van with the Focal woofers. Before I settled on this tweeter I had tried other tweeters from Peerless, Morel, and Focal. None of them even came close to sounding as good as these sound. I swapped these without telling my wife and she noticed it right away. These give me an open wide stage with good off axis response in my system and they have super low distortion. They have just the right amount of detail and are easy to EQ. I also have the AudioFrog GB15 and GB10 to compare these to and these are about as good as you will get for that price point in my opinion. They are right up there with my AF tweeters for a fraction of the cost. Donít be afraid of using these tweeters because I give these an excellent overall rating and they are a bargain for what they cost if you can fit them.

In the spec sheet by SB the fs is listed as 580 Hz. http://www.madisound.com/store/manua...DCN-C000-4.pdf
Glad to hear you like these so much!

That'll teach me to accept the Madisound summary (link below which shows 680) instead of going to the manufacturers data as you linked to above.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-dome-tweeter/

I'll be running SB29RDCN with the SB17CAC35-4 6" (which is on sale for $59.00 that's regularly $86.50!) so 2500 will be fine.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...woofer-4-ohms/

Old 07-20-2019   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 308 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting little woofer. Keep us updated on how it sounds.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...www.caraudiojunkies.com
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2019   #8

I had the NVX version of these before my GB60 and liked them a lot. They are basically the paper versions of these. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...version-4-ohm/

You will want to make a rain guard for them though to protect the open voice coil from getting wet every time it rains or they wonít last in the harsh environment of a car door. I used foam speaker baffles and cut them in half to make my own rain guards. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_237XT6...1-4-depth.html

Their parameters arenít really suited for quasi infinite baffle use like in a car door but the NVX versions that I had did work out well and had similar tonality to my GB60 but with less midbass than the GB60.

Old 08-06-2019   #9

Rep Power: 23 ambesolman will become famous soon enoughambesolman will become famous soon enoughambesolman will become famous soon enoughambesolman will become famous soon enoughambesolman will become famous soon enoughambesolman will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback as these are one of the tweeters I'm looking at for my S4's 3way front stage. The other one i'm looking at based on FR alone is this one and would appreciate any comparison you may notice since I don't understand speaker parameters. Only thing I notice is the sensitivity is about 4db less with this one. Would that extra 4db may be nice to have or make a difference? TIA

https://meniscusaudio.com/product/sb-sb21rdc-c000-4/
ambesolman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2019   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 35 GreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enough

The SB29RDNC's produce an amount of 2nd order harmonics below 4khz, but that's typically not offensive. You probably want to cross at ~2,250-2,500hz to get the best out of them.

Here's how their THD looks at around 8 actual watts (which is pretty loud):

You can see 2nd order harmonics crosses the 1% threshold around 4khz. Odd order harmonics don't become much of an issue until around 1700khz at that power level. You'll be only putting out about 25% of the power with an LR4 crossover around 2.4-2.5khz at that frequency, which means your odd order and 2nd order harmonics will look a lot more like this at ~1600khz and further improve below:

So 2nd order harmonics will probably be in the -35db range (~1.77%) and odd order harmonics will be far below that with the most prominent being 3rd order at around 0.25% THD.

In other words, this should be a good performer and the 2nd order harmonics will likely just add a "warm" sound to the overall signature. I'd give between 2.25 - 2.5khz LR4 a try and see what matches your listening levels the best.

2017 Chevy Bolt EV - Work in Progress: Scanspeak D3004/6040-10 Beryllium tweeters, Scanspeak 12mu mids, Scanspeak 18wu midbasses, Scanspeak 32w/4878T00 13" Subwoofer, Scanspeak 10F / D3004/6020's (rear doors), Scanspeak 10F (rear fill). MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 v2 DL, Arc Audio KS 300.2 v2, Arc Audio SKS300.6 Prototype, Arc Audio KS300.4 v2
GreatLaBroski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatLaBroski For This Useful Post:
ambesolman (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019   #11

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,285 Posts
Rep Power: 458 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

They might be great for home use, but tbh, idk if i would recommend them in a car. I have used the carbon ones before and would never again. Qts is to low, cms is to high, and it is not optimized to handle the environment. The first two points will cause it to have you wanting in the midbass department. Itll sound messy and muddy, even if it has xmax to produce the output. When i pulled the carbon version out of the car after 7 months when one stopped working properly, there was oxidation on the pole piece and inside the magnet. Definitely not made for a car that resides in the north east climate
SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2019   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Thanks for the feedback as these are one of the tweeters I'm looking at for my S4's 3way front stage. The other one i'm looking at based on FR alone is this one and would appreciate any comparison you may notice since I don't understand speaker parameters. Only thing I notice is the sensitivity is about 4db less with this one. Would that extra 4db may be nice to have or make a difference? TIA

https://meniscusaudio.com/product/sb-sb21rdc-c000-4/
See this Zaph review on similar SB tweeters here.

It has a higher resonant frequency so it would need to be crossed over a little higher but 2500 Hz LR4 should be no issue with this one either. If your putting together a three way with a smaller more capable midrange than you should be fine here. Itís also a larger format (obviously) and has a little less thermal power handling and I personally donít see this tweeter not being able to keep up with most anything SQ related.

Listen to GreatLaBroski, I know heís done a lot of testing. SkizeR too but I think heís confusing the SB17 woofer with their tweeter, IDK.

ambesolman (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 35 GreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enough

Nick is talking about the SB17CAC35-4 6" mentioned above as the midwoofer thats being paired with it. I have a set of these tweeters, they're very good for the price if you can manage to fit them. They're slightly chunky for small format tweets.

2017 Chevy Bolt EV - Work in Progress: Scanspeak D3004/6040-10 Beryllium tweeters, Scanspeak 12mu mids, Scanspeak 18wu midbasses, Scanspeak 32w/4878T00 13" Subwoofer, Scanspeak 10F / D3004/6020's (rear doors), Scanspeak 10F (rear fill). MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 v2 DL, Arc Audio KS 300.2 v2, Arc Audio SKS300.6 Prototype, Arc Audio KS300.4 v2
GreatLaBroski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2019   #14

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,285 Posts
Rep Power: 458 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

also, tweeters i would probably cross at 2k 24db. maybe a hair higher.
SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2019   #15

Rep Power: 23 ambesolman will become famous soon enoughambesolman will become famous soon enoughambesolman will become famous soon enoughambesolman will become famous soon enoughambesolman will become famous soon enoughambesolman will become famous soon enough

Default How low can I cross the SB Acoustics SB29SDAC-C000-4?

Quote:
See this Zaph review on similar SB tweeters here.

It has a higher resonant frequency so it would need to be crossed over a little higher but 2500 Hz LR4 should be no issue with this one either. If your putting together a three way with a smaller more capable midrange than you should be fine here. Itís also a larger format (obviously) and has a little less thermal power handling and I personally donít see this tweeter not being able to keep up with most anything SQ related.

Listen to GreatLaBroski, I know heís done a lot of testing. SkizeR too but I think heís confusing the SB17 woofer with their tweeter, IDK.

Thanks for the link. Wish there was a more recent comparison, but he did a great job with that. It made the info much easier to understand.

Thereís a couple of mids Iím looking at. Best guess is that Iím limited to no bigger than 3Ē and no deeper than about 38mm. The only two aftermarket mids Iíve heard of being used in the b&o factory location are the Illusion c3cx and audison voce which are both 3Ē/38mm.

The Tectonic TEBM46C20N-4B BMR 3"

https://www.parts-express.com/tecton...-ohm--297-2157

I go into why I picked this one here, but basically because itís a good flat mid with some interesting properties, though the optimal chamber requirements may be unrealistic?

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...p-si-bm12.html

The other is SB Acoustics SB10PGC21-4 3" Full Range if I have enough depth. Or can it be made to fit?

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-3-full-range/

Would either be preferred to pair with one of the tweets weíre discussing/work in an active 3 way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

signature
Old 08-07-2019   #16

Rep Power: 28 Stycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enough

I ran this set for many years. I never ran them passive but I did and still have the passive crossovers. I believe they were set at 1900 Hz with a 12 db slope. Just for shits and giggles I tried them at that crossover point actively. They did play that low but not with much authority. 2200 -2500Hz is the sweet spot.

Chevy Sonic: Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX, JL VX 800/8i, VX 1000/1i,Morel CCWR254 AF GB60, SS D3004, SS 12" 30w/4558T. Chevy Silverado: Factory HU, NAV-TV GM-650, JL TWK, NVX JAD 800.4, NVX JAD 1200.1, Audiofrog GS690, Morel 2.5, SS R2004, DA HO 12"(2)
Stycker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2019   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Thanks for the link. Wish there was a more recent comparison, but he did a great job with that. It made the info much easier to understand.

Thereís a couple of mids Iím looking at. Best guess is that Iím limited to no bigger than 3Ē and no deeper than about 38mm. The only two aftermarket mids Iíve heard of being used in the b&o factory location are the Illusion c3cx and audison voce which are both 3Ē/38mm.

The Tectonic TEBM46C20N-4B BMR 3"

https://www.parts-express.com/tecton...-ohm--297-2157

I go into why I picked this one here, but basically because itís a good flat mid with some interesting properties, though the optimal chamber requirements may be unrealistic?

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...p-si-bm12.html

The other is SB Acoustics SB10PGC21-4 3" Full Range if I have enough depth. Or can it be made to fit?

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-3-full-range/

Would either be preferred to pair with one of the tweets weíre discussing/work in an active 3 way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I tried the smaller version of that tectonic driver and wasnít all that impressed with it but I didnít put it into an enclosure either and give it a chance or do any measuring/testing. Xmax seems good and the sensitivity isnít too low so if carefully executed in the right enclosure it might sound good assuming the distortion is low. I would say this driver needs an enclosure to sound itís best.

SB Acoustics usually makes pretty decent stuff but that driver requires a big enclosure or use it IB but make sure you separate the back wave from the front wave. It has a lower fs so it might be able to cross lower than the tectonic driver which has an fs of 170.

Any of those SB tweeters should be able to get much louder than these full range drivers will and if you cross the mid to the tweeter so that their dispersion is wide (~2.5k) than you should have an easier time dialing in the response with a DSP after proper polarity and T/A is set.

I think this Morel CCWR254 driver would make an excellent driver crossed with those tweeters but itís obviously a bit more money. Hillbilly recently tested these against some AF GB25 and they did well.

ambesolman (08-07-2019)
Old 08-11-2019   #18

Quote:
I tried the smaller version of that tectonic driver and wasnít all that impressed with it but I didnít put it into an enclosure either and give it a chance or do any measuring/testing. Xmax seems good and the sensitivity isnít too low so if carefully executed in the right enclosure it might sound good assuming the distortion is low. I would say this driver needs an enclosure to sound itís best.

SB Acoustics usually makes pretty decent stuff but that driver requires a big enclosure or use it IB but make sure you separate the back wave from the front wave. It has a lower fs so it might be able to cross lower than the tectonic driver which has an fs of 170.

Any of those SB tweeters should be able to get much louder than these full range drivers will and if you cross the mid to the tweeter so that their dispersion is wide (~2.5k) than you should have an easier time dialing in the response with a DSP after proper polarity and T/A is set.

I think this Morel CCWR254 driver would make an excellent driver crossed with those tweeters but itís obviously a bit more money. Hillbilly recently tested these against some AF GB25 and they did well.

Responded to you here...

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/#/topics/420087

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement