Scanspeak 10f vs AudioFrog GS40 vs ? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2019   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 160 fischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enough

Default Scanspeak 10f vs AudioFrog GS40 vs ?

Looking to finish up my install. Want to keep it under $200 for some 4" mids. Marking up to Hertz ml1600.2 mid bass and Hertz HT25 tweeters. I'm thinking 300hz to 3000hz plus or minus depending on what sounds best. They will be run off 2 channels on a Zapco ST4X SQ, so about 65 watts each. I have full DSP as well, through a Zapco DSP.

Which of these would you recommend, and if not these, what? Thanks!

Josh
fischman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 111 Horuspeed will become famous soon enoughHoruspeed will become famous soon enoughHoruspeed will become famous soon enoughHoruspeed will become famous soon enoughHoruspeed will become famous soon enoughHoruspeed will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Scanspeak 10f vs AudioFrog GS40 vs ?

Hi, spec to spec the 10f is a different driver, with a lower fs, better xmax, smaller surface area ( which help a lot for the snap). The GS40 is a Bigger driver "Installed". More accessories for an apealing installation. 10f is a testimony of diyers drivers knowledge.
Horuspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2019   #3

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,285 Posts
Rep Power: 458 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horuspeed View Post
, smaller surface area ( which help a lot for the snap).
Yeah, uh.. no, that's not really how it works

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 111 Horuspeed will become famous soon enoughHoruspeed will become famous soon enoughHoruspeed will become famous soon enoughHoruspeed will become famous soon enoughHoruspeed will become famous soon enoughHoruspeed will become famous soon enough

I mean surface area is different, but can play a role in the efficiency of the driver ( the bigger the better?) SkizeR have you ever heard the ESA MID, would you say it's a superior driver agaisnt the 10f?
Horuspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2019   #5

Rep Power: 88 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
Yeah, uh.. no, that's not really how it works
I agree. Actually, larger surface area helps with snap (feel) because the larger cone doesn’t have to move as far to produce the same output. It snaps more while a smaller cone has to use more of its excursion. I’ve tested this phenomenon with 8” and 12” midbasses at home. The 12” have much more snap (hit the chest) when producing the exact same SPL.
dgage is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dgage For This Useful Post:
nyquistrate (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 160 fischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enough

So it sounds like the GS40 would be best then? Any concerns in regards to the quality of either of these drivers? I know the GB's are very highly regarded but you never hear anything about the GS series.

Josh
Old 07-21-2019   #7

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,285 Posts
Rep Power: 458 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischman View Post
So it sounds like the GS40 would be best then? Any concerns in regards to the quality of either of these drivers? I know the GB's are very highly regarded but you never hear anything about the GS series.

Josh
The main difference between the gs line and GB line is power handling, and how low each respective speaker can play.

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2019   #8

Rep Power: 34 disconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enough

GS40 or Stereo Integrity 3"

Corvette: Alpine ILX-207, Helix DSP.2, Mosconi AS 100.4, Audiofrog GB10, Stereo Integrity TM65mkii, SDS CLD Tiles, CCF, MLV, no subs.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2019   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischman View Post

Josh
The main difference between the gs line and GB line is power handling, and how low each respective speaker can play.

Do you feel the lack of copper pole caps makes a large difference in the performance? Is the GS40 going to have significant more distortion than the 10f that has copper pole caps (similar to GB40). I don't think I'll need the super low response, as the midbass I'm using should be good for as high as I want to go. Although I would like to keep as much of the mid-range coming from one speaker.

I'm probably overthinking all of this but that's what I tend to do. I think I'll end up getting the GS40, but just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake. Thanks for the help!

Josh
Old 07-30-2019   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Well, ended up getting the GB40's due to a great deal in the classifieds, and all I can say is WOW! I'm super happy with these. I'd still be curious to know how much difference there is between the GS and the GB's but, the GB's definitely sound wonderful.

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement