Amp suggestion to finish build - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 derik999 will become famous soon enoughderik999 will become famous soon enoughderik999 will become famous soon enoughderik999 will become famous soon enoughderik999 will become famous soon enoughderik999 will become famous soon enough

Default Amp suggestion to finish build

I have the receiver and speakers picked out, now I just need to know what a good amp would be to power them. The vehicle is a 2009 Sonata GLS.

Receiver: Sony XAV-AX5000

Front Doors: Polk Audio DB 6502

Rear Doors: Polk Audio DB 652

Wasn't sure if I only need a 4 channel amp or 5 channel.

I appreciate any and all help I can get!
derik999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019   #2

Rep Power: 63 MrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Amp suggestion to finish build

Are u running active? Adding a DSP? Subwoofer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGreen83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MrGreen83 For This Useful Post:
derik999 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-21-2019   #3

Rep Power: 29 JamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enough

There are so any good choices. Can you help with a budget and whether you'd like to add a sub in the future?

2011 Nissan Rogue - Sony XAV-AX200 - Helix DSP - Zapco Z-150.6 ii & Z-1KD ii - Audiofrog GB60, GB25, GB10D4's - ScanSpeak d3004/6040-00
JamesRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesRC For This Useful Post:
derik999 (07-22-2019)

Old 07-21-2019   #4

Rep Power: 0 derik999 will become famous soon enoughderik999 will become famous soon enoughderik999 will become famous soon enoughderik999 will become famous soon enoughderik999 will become famous soon enoughderik999 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreen83 View Post
Are u running active? Adding a DSP? Subwoofer?

Forgive my ignorance but I don't know what running active refers to.

Do you mean active vs passive speakers?

DSP most likely, subwoofer no.
Old 07-21-2019   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRC View Post
There are so any good choices. Can you help with a budget and whether you'd like to add a sub in the future?
No plans to add a sub. Budget is around $500.00 for the amp. Maybe a little more if the difference in quality is worth it.
Old 07-21-2019   #6

Rep Power: 81 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

This should sound great on those speakers https://soundqubed.com/product/s4-10...nel-amplifier/

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to JCsAudio For This Useful Post:
derik999 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-21-2019   #7

Rep Power: 63 MrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by derik999 View Post
Forgive my ignorance but I don't know what running active refers to.

Do you mean active vs passive speakers?

DSP most likely, subwoofer no.

“Active” means every speaker will have its own channel, so u can tune each speaker separately thru the DSP.

So in ur situation it would mean 4 channels for the component set (2 tweeters and 2 midbass....not using the included crossovers).....and 2 channels for the rear speakers.

U have 2 options then. U could run a 6 channel amplifier.

Or run a 5 channel amplifier and have the rear speakers playing Mono in the DSP off of 1 channel.

These amps would be my suggestion for ur price range:

http://store.12velectronics.com/zapc...a-b-amplifier/

https://creativeaudio.net/xd600-6-kb/

MrGreen83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MrGreen83 For This Useful Post:
derik999 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-21-2019   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreen83 View Post
“Active” means every speaker will have its own channel, so u can tune each speaker separately thru the DSP.

So in ur situation it would mean 4 channels for the component set (2 tweeters and 2 midbass....not using the included crossovers).....and 2 channels for the rear speakers.

U have 2 options then. U could run a 6 channel amplifier.

Or run a 5 channel amplifier and have the rear speakers playing Mono in the DSP off of 1 channel.
I've never used DSP equipment before, is the learning curve pretty steep? I don't want to get in over my head.

I see what you mean by active. Yeah each speaker would be on it's own channel. Do I not want to use the crossovers if I'm using DSP?
Old 07-21-2019   #9

Rep Power: 29 JamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Do I not want to use the crossovers if I'm using DSP?
Most people run the mid-bass and tweeter on separate channels, but you can use passive crossovers if you need to. To have front tweets and mid-bass + rear fill, you'd need six channels.

For a $500 budget, I was going to suggest a Zapco Z-150.4. This vendor's been blowing them out on Amazon and has some listed at $424 (a few hundred less than normal). I already have the Z-150.6 and just picked up a Z-1KD from them.

If you want to run active in the future, the same vendor has the Z-150.2 up, too. That would give you six channels.

You'd have six channels of premium amplification. I'm not affiliated, just stoked on the pricing.

2011 Nissan Rogue - Sony XAV-AX200 - Helix DSP - Zapco Z-150.6 ii & Z-1KD ii - Audiofrog GB60, GB25, GB10D4's - ScanSpeak d3004/6040-00
derik999 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-21-2019   #10

Quote:
Most people run the mid-bass and tweeter on separate channels, but you can use passive crossovers if you need to. To have front tweets and mid-bass + rear fill, you'd need six channels.
I'd like to run each speaker on its own channel.

If I want to run active I should get both then? Run the tweeters off the 2 channel and the rest off the 4 channel?

What about the 6 channel Zapco amp that MrGreen83 posted?

Zapco ST-6X SQ

Is a component setup meant to take advantage of the passive crossover? If so would it be better to buy 4 of the non component 6 1/2's and then two stand alone tweeters?
Old 07-21-2019   #11

Quote:
I'd like to run each speaker on its own channel.

If I want to run active I should get both then? Run the tweeters off the 2 channel and the rest off the 4 channel?

What about the 6 channel Zapco amp that MrGreen83 posted?

Zapco ST-6X SQ

Is a component setup meant to take advantage of the passive crossover? If so would it be better to buy 4 of the non component 6 1/2's and then two stand alone tweeters?

The Z-series is higher end than the ST series, but the ST-6X is still a great amp and within your budget. Another option is waiting for an Arc 1200.6 to come up in the classifieds.

If you want a channel for each driver, you’ll need 6 channels. With the amps I linked to, that’s the 4-channel and 2-channel.

derik999 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-21-2019   #12

Quote:
The Z-series is higher end than the ST series, but the ST-6X is still a great amp and within your budget. Another option is waiting for an Arc 1200.6 to come up in the classifieds.

If you want a channel for each driver, you’ll need 6 channels. With the amps I linked to, that’s the 4-channel and 2-channel.

I just ordered both the 4 and 2 channel Z series amps. Should I stick with component speakers for the front, as compared to coaxial and a separate tweeter?
Old 07-21-2019   #13

Quote:
I just ordered both the 4 and 2 channel Z series amps. Should I stick with component speakers for the front, as compared to coaxial and a separate tweeter?
Very cool! You'll have amps you'll never need to replace unless you just want to try something different.

You'll want to run 1/0 gauge power wire to the distribution blocks for power and ground, then 1/0 out of the block into each amp. I use these from Knu Konceptz. They're well made and you can't beat the price.

Stick with components up front. You do not want co-axial plus a tweeter. You'd have two tweeters in that setup. Do you already own the speakers you linked to, or are they just what you're considering at this point?

Last edited by JamesRC; 07-21-2019 at 07:08 PM..
derik999 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-21-2019   #14

Rep Power: 81 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

You just bought some power hungry class A/B high end amplifiers and now you will need a DSP, more wiring, and surely want to upgrade those Polk speakers to match the potential within that equipment. Then you will need door treatment and a microphone to tune. You will also need to learn a lot or hire a tuner in your area who can help you. SkizeR does tuning over the phone and remotely with your PC for a fee.

Welcome to the very deep rabbit hole of car audio where no amount of money can ever fill that hole. At least you’re in good hands at DYMA.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
derik999 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019   #15

Quote:
Very cool! You'll have amps you'll never need to replace unless you just want to try something different.

You'll want to run 1/0 gauge power wire to the distribution blocks for power and ground, then 1/0 out of the block into each amp. I use these from Knu Konceptz. They're well made and you can't beat the price.

Stick with components up front. You do not want co-axial plus a tweeter. You'd have two tweeters in that setup. Do you already own the speakers you linked to, or are they just what you're considering at this point?
Those are just the ones I was considering at the time. What would you suggest?
Old 07-22-2019   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
You just bought some power hungry class A/B high end amplifiers and now you will need a DSP, more wiring, and surely want to upgrade those Polk speakers to match the potential within that equipment. Then you will need door treatment and a microphone to tune. You will also need to learn a lot or hire a tuner in your area who can help you. SkizeR does tuning over the phone and remotely with your PC for a fee.

Welcome to the very deep rabbit hole of car audio where no amount of money can ever fill that hole. At least you’re in good hands at DYMA.
What DSP would you recommend I look at?
Old 07-22-2019   #17

Quote:
What DSP would you recommend I look at?
I have the JL Audio twk88 and love it and the Dayton Audio 408 DSP which is very good for someone who is on a budget but not as user friendly as the JL twk88. The JL Twk88 is a very capable DSP that will get you fantastic results. The Dayton can match those results with a little more fussing but in the end it will. It also seems to have some software bugs and some possible noise issues yet mine is quiet.

Many people here also recommend the Helix but that DSP may be more than you actually need especially if you are going to learn and do the tuning yourself. The Helix is also the most expensive. I have no experience with the Helix other than messing with the software a little so I will let others speak for that.

My recommendation will go to the JL Twk88 for being very user friendly with a well thought out software interface and good tech support. I'd only recommend the Dayton if you just cant afford a better DSP but still want one and want good sonic results and are willing to work a little harder getting there. When I swapped my Dayton with my JL I couldn't tell a difference in sound.

Old 07-22-2019   #18

As far as speakers, I'd urge you to consider Audiofrog's GS line for a more budget friendly option (they're not budget drivers, just not as expensive as the GB's). Excellent drivers.

And for DSP's, I'm a Helix fanboy. I think it's just frankly more powerful than most others and won't fail on you. There's a used Helix DSP Mini in the classifieds right now for a good price, but you wouldn't have enough output options to process a sub if you ever decide to add one.

My first DSP was a miniDSP 6x8. When I say the Helix is more powerful, what I mean is that it's able to shape the EQ significantly more.

If you start with a DSP, you won't need to purchase passive crossovers. The DSP will be more, but not having to purchase the crossovers mitigates that somewhat.

Old 07-23-2019   #19

Awesome information guys, I really appreciate all the help you've given!

Now I need to do some more research.

Cheers!
Old 07-23-2019   #20

Rep Power: 34 SlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enough

Helix DSP has a ton of support from the forum here which is the main reason why I would grab it. If you have any problems with it, there will be answers which I think will be tremendously helpful with the learning curve associated with tuning.

2014 Honda Accord LX - JL Audio C2-650, Kicker CSC674, Helix DSP Pro MK1, Pioneer GM-D8604, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D
SlvrDragon50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SlvrDragon50 For This Useful Post:
derik999 (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019   #21
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 359 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, you went from zero to the deep end in less than two days. Overzealous contributors can have that effect on people. I would suggest you take a moment to catch your breath before you end up drowning. OK... enough of the analogy.

You started out here looking for what appeared to be a very simple "deck and four" upgrade with some outboard amplification on a 10 year old sedan. Your selection of the Sony XAV-AX5000 and Polk db6502 & db652 is exactly the kind of choices I would expect from someone who isn't too deep into audio. Am I correct in my understanding that you have not purchased the head unit or speakers, but you have no purchased the four channel Zapco Z-150.4 and two channel AZ-150.2?

Assuming the above is correct, I have a couple of suggestions.

Head Unit: Alpine ILX-W650 ($100 Savings)
Front Speakers: Audiofrog G60S, Morel Maximo Ultra 602, Pioneer TS-Z65CH/C or TS-D65C, Kenwood XR-1700P ($0-170 Add)
Rear Speakers: Stock ($90 Savings)
Subwoofer: Infinity Kappa 1200W ($105 Add)
Subwoofer Enclosure: 1.0+ CF Sealed - Your Choice (Add)
DSP: As needed (Add $185 - $1000+)

I would power the front components off of the Z-150.4, possibly using the amp crossovers to go active. I would power the stock rear speakers off of the head unit. And finally I would bridge the Z-150.2 to power the subwoofer in 4 Ohm mode. Use the Alpine's better tuning capabilities (compared to the Sony) to dial everything in.

If you still aren't happy, look into your options for adding a DSP. Whether you tackle that yourself, or pay a professional to do it.

One last note, the component speaker selections were made based on using a passive system whose tweeter and filters were fairly low to begin with. Technically, you can get more "bang for your buck" even without a DSP using the amp crossovers by purchasing "raw drivers" from Madisound and Parts Express.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2019   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
I would power the front components off of the Z-150.4, possibly using the amp crossovers to go active.

Overzealous contributor here. Just pointing out that using the amp’s crossovers would still be passive.

Old 07-23-2019   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 359 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Overzealous contributor here. Just pointing out that using the amp’s crossovers would still be passive.

The crossover in the amplifier would be active, not passive. Just as the crossovers at the head unit are active.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2019   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 147 Accordman will become famous soon enoughAccordman will become famous soon enoughAccordman will become famous soon enoughAccordman will become famous soon enoughAccordman will become famous soon enoughAccordman will become famous soon enough

Since you already purchased the amplifiers. I'd honestly run the 4 channel active on the fronts and the 2 channel on the rears. Some people are completely are going to tell you to ixnay the rears, put them on deck power or not use them at all. I haven't seen anywhere that you have stated anything about what you want out of the system.

I have a large setup, I have rears....I can turn off said rears no problem. We need to know your end goal really. What kind of price do you want to spend on front speakers? what do you want to spend on rears? Whats your level of ability to instal these items yourself? Im not going to recommend anyone tun a vehicle for you until we even know what you are looking for. Get your ears on some stuff and determine what YOU like. I do high end audio for a living, and to be honest with you, a ton of these "competition cars" sound real boring. I build my car to enjoy it everyday, and unless you are looking to fit in some box of criteria for competing, take any advise about a specific "tune" with a grain of salt.

In closing definitely try to articulate more what you are looking to achieve so you can get proper help....and there are LOTS of people who are very educated in the field who will show or teach you if you are willing to learn without pulling money from your pocket....its funny a site that originated on the premise of cheaply building stuff that made good sound has become so elitist and based on a single type of build.
Accordman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Accordman For This Useful Post:
derik999 (07-24-2019)
Old 07-23-2019   #25

Listen to rton20s, very good advice there and I know he wouldn’t steer you wrong.

derik999 (07-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement