Opinions on Sealed Box for a GB12D4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 31 compuwiz1937 will become famous soon enoughcompuwiz1937 will become famous soon enoughcompuwiz1937 will become famous soon enoughcompuwiz1937 will become famous soon enoughcompuwiz1937 will become famous soon enoughcompuwiz1937 will become famous soon enough

Default Opinions on Sealed Box for a GB12D4

I've never been satisfied with the bass in my car, which is a 2016 Chevrolet SS sedan. The rear seat blocks/absorbs a significant amount of the sound and I can be almost happy without the subwoofer even being there unless I was listing to something really bass heavy - and I'm usually listening to rock, blues, or country. I went from a 10" PSI to a 12" SSA Icon both ported and I think I also don't love the ported sound as much either for music. I built a down-firing sealed box to go between the second row seats in my Escalade for a GB12 and it sounds awesome. So I was thinking about trying to replicate that in my car. I think there's enough room behind the passenger seat to build a sealed box for a GB10. It'll be a little "complicated" because it'll need to be angled to allow the passenger seat to be comfortable. I'd like opinions on whether I should do this down-firing or have it front-firing into the back of the passenger seat. The down-firing will push the box height up ~2" or so to leave some breathing room.

The base can be up to 12" deep by 18" wide. The back can go straight up and can be up to 13.5" high without being taller than the rear seat bottom. At the top there is about 9" between the rear seat cushion and back of the passenger seat. I've attached some pictures of the space to help visualize.

Does this sound doable or a good idea since it will be directing the sound under the passenger seat if down-firing or into the back seat if front firing? Up-firing could be an option depending on how much space there needs to be behind the magnet but I like that down or front-firing will provide built-in protection for the speaker. I guess my other option would be to do a ported GB12D4 in the trunk and hope it sounds better than the SSA. It would be nice to have my trunk back though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6404F365-5ED0-46E6-BAC2-BCAA36E22A34.jpg (1.50 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg F220644C-12D0-45A0-85B7-01BB67B3FEA2.jpg (1.07 MB, 11 views)
compuwiz1937 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 90 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Opinions on Sealed Box for a GB12D4

In terms of space, you could fit an appropriate sized sealed box there, if you don't use the rear seat for passengers much... I would down fire it for sure - you have the needed size like that and it would be the safest place for the sub to be protected from hitting something or getting damaged.

However, I would consider making a box that would sit in the middle of the rear seat and extend down to the hump like a center console... If done right, this could look very nice, allow the rear seat to still be a comfortable 2 passenger seat and open up options like more volume, larger sub, ported, etc.. With what you've done in your Escalade, it sounds like you could pull this off pretty well.

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
"Just slap some drywall screws in it, and you'll be fine"
DavidRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Rep Power: 84 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

Is the back of the rear seat made of metal? You might want to investigate some. If metal, you could potentially drill holes to allow some sound through. If not metal and it is just dense foam in your seat, I might recommend looking at the SI RM-15, which will have a lot more output than a GB12 as it has more power handling and excursion. I think a single one in your trunk, assuming your back seat isnít completely metal, would give phenomenal output and sound quality with a sealed enclosure near 2-2.5 cu.ft. A single RM-15 would likely be equivalent to 2.5 GB12s so weíre talking significantly more bass. And that is not a knock on the AF GB sub as those are very good. This would allow you to use your car as a more traditional car, while still having plenty of bass.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Rep Power: 31 compuwiz1937 will become famous soon enoughcompuwiz1937 will become famous soon enoughcompuwiz1937 will become famous soon enoughcompuwiz1937 will become famous soon enoughcompuwiz1937 will become famous soon enoughcompuwiz1937 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
In terms of space, you could fit an appropriate sized sealed box there, if you don't use the rear seat for passengers much... I would down fire it for sure - you have the needed size like that and it would be the safest place for the sub to be protected from hitting something or getting damaged.

However, I would consider making a box that would sit in the middle of the rear seat and extend down to the hump like a center console... If done right, this could look very nice, allow the rear seat to still be a comfortable 2 passenger seat and open up options like more volume and ported, etc..
The back seat has only ever had my sonís car seat in it a couple times otherwise no one has ever been in the back. I occasionally have a front seat passenger which is why I wasnít wanting to push the front seat up too much. Worst case itíll be easily removable with a connection on the wires.

I had considered doing a box that sat in the back seat but I donít want to do anything that will hurt the leather or leave impressions.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 90 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

What happened here? The posts disappeared...

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 190 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
What happened here? The posts disappeared...
The post i thought i made here ended up in my tweeter sale listing. And so did the OP response LOL.

I was just saying "test" the GB12 box in the new car, just to get an idea of how the downfiring GB10 might sound.

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 RM12 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Rep Power: 84 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

If I go through my posts, it shows correctly but when visiting his thread from the list of threads, my post is missing.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
The post i thought i made here ended up in my tweeter sale listing. And so did the OP response LOL.

I was just saying "test" the GB12 box in the new car, just to get an idea of how the downfiring GB10 might sound.
LOL

That could be confusing... People might think your are recommending down-firing your tweeters!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by compuwiz1937 View Post
The back seat has only ever had my sonís car seat in it a couple times otherwise no one has ever been in the back. I occasionally have a front seat passenger which is why I wasnít wanting to push the front seat up too much. Worst case itíll be easily removable with a connection on the wires.

I had considered doing a box that sat in the back seat but I donít want to do anything that will hurt the leather or leave impressions.
I think it could be done with no damage to the seats... Maybe secure it to the hump or under the seat and cantilever just over the seat so it isn't even touching.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Is the back of the rear seat made of metal? You might want to investigate some. If metal, you could potentially drill holes to allow some sound through. If not metal and it is just dense foam in your seat, I might recommend looking at the SI RM-15, which will have a lot more output than a GB12 as it has more power handling and excursion. I think a single one in your trunk, assuming your back seat isnít completely metal, would give phenomenal output and sound quality with a sealed enclosure near 2-2.5 cu.ft. A single RM-15 would likely be equivalent to 2.5 GB12s so weíre talking significantly more bass. And that is not a knock on the AF GB sub as those are very good. This would allow you to use your car as a more traditional car, while still having plenty of bass.
There is a metal frame but the foam itself is very insulating. When I installed the original system, I drove around with just the seat bottom out because I was still running wires and the amount of extra road noise was substantial, which surprised me for just being the seat bottom.

Part of my idea for doing this is to get my trunk back which I use far more than the back seat - I donít know if it was one of the posts that disappeared but the back seat has only been used less than 5 times with my sonís car seat. Since kids are supposed to be in car seats until they get driverís licenses, Iím thinking it wonít be a problem. Thereís still the seat behind the driver.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 149 AVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enough

passenger foot well :P

2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition - FiiO M11 & OEM Radio - Arc Audio PS8-50 & X2 1100.1 - Arc Audio RS 1.0 3.0 6.0 - AudioFrog GB10D2x2
2013 Dodge Avenger - Clarion NX706 - Arc Audio PS8PRO - TruTechnology Tungsten T2 T4 TG2 - Audio Frog GB10 GB40 GB60 GB10D2
AVIDEDTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12

Quote:
There is a metal frame but the foam itself is very insulating. When I installed the original system, I drove around with just the seat bottom out because I was still running wires and the amount of extra road noise was substantial, which surprised me for just being the seat bottom.

Part of my idea for doing this is to get my trunk back which I use far more than the back seat - I donít know if it was one of the posts that disappeared but the back seat has only been used less than 5 times with my sonís car seat. Since kids are supposed to be in car seats until they get driverís licenses, Iím thinking it wonít be a problem. Thereís still the seat behind the driver.
If it is just foam, even a 12Ē sub should fire through it with little issue. The wavelengths are so long that it is very hard to contain bass, you pretty much need concrete in a house or 3 sheets of drywall. Iím big into home theater and supply subs for several home theater designers.

https://www.acousticfields.com/wavel...-in-our-rooms/

Road noise is definitely at a higher frequencies than bass waves, which is why the rear seat blocks it so well. And the higher the frequency, the easier it is to attenuate the sound, meaning frequencies above 2,000 Hz can be easily attenuated by maybe 1Ē of foam while youíll need many more inches to attenuate midbass frequencies and you may need multiple feet of foam to attenuate deep bass frequencies.

I think a single sealed RM-15 would have no trouble going through the seat and providing copious amounts of bass and would only need 2-2.5 cu.ft. powered with 1200-1500w. Thatís what I would do in your situation. Iím going to be putting a single RM-12 in my car to fire through the rear seat though I originally ordered a single RM-15.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13

Youíre right, it probably would be plenty (and awesome) but it definitely wouldnít give me my trunk space back. Iím actually not even sure an enclosure for that would fit in my trunk since I have the amplifier and DSP mounted to the underside of the package tray inside the trunk.

I just realized I put GB12 in the thread title when I meant GB10, I guess everyone got what I meant from reading the post.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14

How much space needs to be behind the magnet? I searched on here and found anywhere from 1/2 the pole vent diameter to 5.Ē I saw the most answers saying the diameter of the vent.

I realized I can do a front firing box much easier because there wonít be an angle to deal with so Iím leaning that route. If I do a 17Ē x 12Ē x 9Ē then itíll be a hair under .6 cubic feet and have 1.25Ē behind the magnet.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15

Rep Power: 34 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
How much space needs to be behind the magnet? I searched on here and found anywhere from 1/2 the pole vent diameter to 5.Ē I saw the most answers saying the diameter of the vent.

I realized I can do a front firing box much easier because there wonít be an angle to deal with so Iím leaning that route. If I do a 17Ē x 12Ē x 9Ē then itíll be a hair under .6 cubic feet and have 1.25Ē behind the magnet.
You could theoretically go as close as 1/4 of the vent diameter, but I'd say stick with the vent diameter spacing for safety.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement