JL XD vs RD - what is the difference - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2019   #1

Rep Power: 26 Robot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enough

Default JL XD vs RD - what is the difference

Hi all, I am looking for a 4 channel to go along with my JL XD800/8v2. I was thinking about the XD400/4v2 but started to look at the specs of the RD line and to me they look almost identical (according to Crutchfield). Can some one please tell me why the RD line is SO much cheaper than the XD line? What am i gaining for the extra money?
Robot Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2019   #2

Rep Power: 62 Mlarson67 will become famous soon enoughMlarson67 will become famous soon enoughMlarson67 will become famous soon enoughMlarson67 will become famous soon enoughMlarson67 will become famous soon enoughMlarson67 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JL XD vs RD - what is the difference

I believe other than aesthetics itís crossover is able to bandpass.
Mlarson67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2019   #3

Rep Power: 26 Robot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enough

Awesome - thanks. It was driving me nuts trying to figure it out

Old 07-24-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Slowpoke

Rep Power: 62 rob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enough

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2019   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 305 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

The crossovers on the XD can be defeated but they can't be on the RD. Just something you have to work around but no big deal. And the RD has clipping indicators. I also think the XD amps are a little smaller footprint but just by a little. You also get a lot more choices with the XD line to better fit your power needs.

Other than that, they're both great amps. If the RD series will fit your needs there's no real reason to choose the XD over them.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...MAKE DIYMA GREAT AGAIN!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2019   #6

Rep Power: 32 Patriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enough

I believe Manville (JL Audio) stated in a different thread the difference in RD and XD is the power supply, crossovers and size. The RD line gets great reviews.
Patriot83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2019   #7

Rep Power: 12 saltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enough

I’ve ran both and currently have two XD’s in one of my vehicles. They’re both really good amps. Neither has ever given me problems. Personally, the XD sounded a little better...fuller maybe. That being said, it could have just been in my head. Has anyone ever done a bench test comparison of the two? Surely there’s a video out there somewhere.

saltyone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2019   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyone View Post
Iíve ran both and currently have two XDís in one of my vehicles. Theyíre both really good amps. Neither has ever given me problems. Personally, the XD sounded a little better...fuller maybe. That being said, it could have just been in my head. Has anyone ever done a bench test comparison of the two? Surely thereís a video out there somewhere.
I am running a DSP so the crossovers etc. are really of no use to me. So if you were to buy one of them today based only on sound quality and price.... XD or RD?
Old 07-25-2019   #9

Rep Power: 12 saltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Chicken View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyone View Post
I’ve ran both and currently have two XD’s in one of my vehicles. They’re both really good amps. Neither has ever given me problems. Personally, the XD sounded a little better...fuller maybe. That being said, it could have just been in my head. Has anyone ever done a bench test comparison of the two? Surely there’s a video out there somewhere.
I am running a DSP so the crossovers etc. are really of no use to me. So if you were to buy one of them today based only on sound quality and price.... XD or RD?
Personally, and only based on my unscientific perception that the XD sounds a small amount “fuller and clearer”, I’d buy the XD. Again though...they are both excellent. If nothing else, the XD amps look much nicer, IMO. The RD has plastic chassis, and the XD has aluminum. This is assuming the few hundred dollar difference between two RD amps versus comparable XD amps wasn’t an issue.

If there were budget concerns, I’d absolutely go with RD and concentrate on quality speakers, sound deadening, and a quality DSP. All three of theses items trump any difference between the two amps.

saltyone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2019   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 305 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how much difference there is between the power supplies in the two lineups? I don't recall ever thinking the power supply was an issue in my RD900/5 so it must be plenty sufficient. Thinking more, isn't the XD regulated and the RD not?

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...MAKE DIYMA GREAT AGAIN!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2019   #11

Rep Power: 5 jtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enough

I recently purchased an XD600/6v2. THe main reason that I went with the XD is simply becuase they don't offer a 6-channel amp in the RD line. :-) I to am using a DSP, so I defintiely wanted to be able to completely disable the crossovers on the amp itself. The build quality is fantastic.

One thing that I found though (applies to all JL Amps probably due to the design of their terminals) - you shouldn't use wire ferrules with them - at least not with the speaker wires. I tried using wire ferrules for the first time (for power and speaker connections at the amp) and it actually "broke" the speaker terminals. Best I can tell, the wire ferrules didn't go into the terminals quite far enough and when you tighten the terminals, it caused them to "clamp" unevenly, thereby causing the top part of the "clamp" to "come off" at the back. Then they simply fall out when you remove the wires! In my case, I actually had to return the amp for a different defect, so I got "lucky" - I couldn't find an easy way to reattach that top "clamp" either. I mean you could work around the issue after they came off, but it kind of sucked. DIdn't have any issues with the power terminals, but I removed the ferrules on those as well before I connected everything to the replacement amp as I didn't want to risk it.
jtrosky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2019   #12

Rep Power: 32 Patriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
I wonder how much difference there is between the power supplies in the two lineups? I don't recall ever thinking the power supply was an issue in my RD900/5 so it must be plenty sufficient. Thinking more, isn't the XD regulated and the RD not?
Here is what Manville Smith said in the other thread about the RD/XD differences

"The core amplifier sections are essentially the same design, with some differences in component selection and layout. Power supply and input sections are a little simpler in RD.

There are some feature differences as well. XD has more flexible signal processing.

XD is more compact.

And there are many more models in the XD line, too."
Patriot83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2019   #13

Rep Power: 34 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Chicken View Post
Hi all, I am looking for a 4 channel to go along with my JL XD800/8v2. I was thinking about the XD400/4v2 but started to look at the specs of the RD line and to me they look almost identical (according to Crutchfield). Can some one please tell me why the RD line is SO much cheaper than the XD line? What am i gaining for the extra money?
They are almost identical, I think the pots on the XD are higher quality, and calibrated. The XD is a bit smaller. The crossovers CAN be defeated on both. You can't run the XD bridged without driving all 4 inputs (you need 2 Y adapters), the RD will bridge with 1 input per pair of channels. Here are some closeups of the controls. The controls unique to each amp are marked with pluses.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2019   #14

Rep Power: 34 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

I am running one of each, I've noticed no difference in sound quality at all, but the higher quality pots on the XD make it easier to tweak the gain. If you were to walk into a car audio shop that has both, you should get the XD, if they only had the RD, you could buy that without any regrets.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement