DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

System Final Design Thoughts

8K views 52 replies 13 participants last post by  skylineqrt4 
#1 ·
I am planning an audio system for my 2016 Camaro. I think I know what I am going to do but I'd like to run it by the community for some tips. I listen to music with headphones so I am trying to replicate that in my system(don't know if that changes anything).

Here is my planned setup:
Audio Control D-6.1200 6 Channel DSP/AMP
Boss Audio Systems R1100MK Amplifier
Front Speakers: Polk Audio DB6502 6.5" Components
Rear Speakers: JBL GTO629 Premium 6.5-Inch Co-Axial Speaker
Subwoofers: MTX Audio Terminator Series TNE212D

I don't like speakers or tweeters that are very bright as they are unpleasant at loud volumes. That is why I went with the Polk speakers. Right now in my car I already installed the rear coaxials and the subwoofers as well as the boss amp. I still want to know where or if my system has weak points. I can always replace things even if they are already upgraded. I know the rear speakers aren't amazing and neither are the subs but I feel they'll work great. If you guys think otherwise please shoot me some advice on what to do.

I plan on wiring this system by using high-level inputs from the stock amp into the DSP. I was advised not to change the radio in my car as there are many features I would like to keep that are on the stock head unit. The head unit only sends digital signals to the amp which can not be interpreted by anything other than that amp and audio interfaces. I feel that a DSP can do anything an interface can do so I opted out of an audio interface. Maybe I'm wrong. Below is a picture of my planned wiring.

Any thoughts, tips, or advice? All feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#46 · (Edited)
Im not sure why people are steering you away from the audiocontrol. That is a VERY capable DSP and I believe also maintains dsp on the output rcas. I say keep the amp. Plus having onboard dsp lessens the possibility of noise.

I would suggest some other speakers but if you like those, its a good place to start.

This is what I would do.
D-6.1200 DSP amp Powering the Infinity Kappa 60csx active and the MTX subs

JBL GTO629 - use the audiocontrols dsp output to power these with a zapco st sq amp for $70 (link below)

-Or use this amp to power tweeters using the dsp output

-Or get an Apline Pdr-m65 from me for 150 new for your sub and replace the boss. You will eventually replace the boss. You can also get a good refurbished jbl mono for $90 or so

This is the zapco 2 channel I would get to add to the equation

https://www.ebay.com/p/St-2x-SQ-Class-A-b-2-Channel-Sound-Quality-Amplifier/2299535178

-Same crappy boss amp that will soon be upgraded. (yep, or deleted)

I used the noico soundeadening and found it to be a good product. no issues. Then I used closed cell foam on panels.

Now, if this was my car, Id keep the audiocontrol and grab the zapco 2 ch (tweets or rear) or the alpine mono

Front speakers Id go with these cus its an unreal deal and i just bought a set today and they will be gone very soon

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Scanspea..._trksid=p2055359.m2763.l2649&autorefresh=true

The NVX or SB dome tweeter is a good choice as they are very laid back sounding.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...sb29rdcn-c000-4-neo-magnet-ring-dome-tweeter/

theres many other silk dome options as well for mellow sounding tweets. These would be a wonderful front stage.

These TBI tweeters are also very smooth and a great deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TBI-HDDS-t...375685?hash=item4b62fe3b45:g:w~cAAOSw6bNculy1

Id also pass on the MTX's and grab this sub

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/ite...nnk33-iG2xJl1NCzNZ30MJgETZuOhkoBoCm2IQAvD_BwE

in this enclosure custom tuned for it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVX-XQWE11...CVX~Rnl:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!08527!US!-1

And that would provide perfect bass,

JBLs are fine for rear fill.

Using the above components would cost roughly the same but you would have all world class audiophile components

So in general. Either add a mono amp or the above zapco 2 ch. Id personally run the zapco on the tweets and the audiocontrol on all else...but having the mono does simplify the tuning process. Kinda. It gives you much more power and headroom and the ability to use any sub as a plus

I think youd be content with the polks and infinity too, but speakers are the most important purchase next to the excellent audiocontrol amp/dsp and these are amazing deals. These are far superior drivers to the polk/kappas.

If ever interested, this is my auction for the alpine. You can make an offer if interested, http://www.ebay.com/itm/352685949281

otherwise, I hope you see that every item I have suggested is very high end and works very well with each other and I assure you would be content. And those that review this thread would likely agree with my assessment.

Then of course take time with install and sound deadening.

Good luck. I just linked you up a killer setup :)

If youre ok with used, I have tons of tweets (including the tdi ones) and amps. most of us do :)

PS Dont worry about rms power and what is available. You very rarely use all the power and if you have a highpass crossover, speakers can take much more than rated as long as its not clipping , which the audiocontrol will show. Or woofer bottoming out, which ears will pick up.

#47 ·
Thanks for the response. As for all the different speakers even though they are killer deals I think I’m going to stick with the kappas. I feel like I should start with components that are made for each other then to get separate ones from the start. I can upgrade the woofer or tweeter as I please if I’m not happy. For the monoblock I might hit you up on that deal. Definitely going to upgrade my monoblock. I think I’m going to keep the 6 dsp channels going to the fronts and rears and use the rca out to the subs. Now, would you suggest noico and ccf or resonix cld and ccf? Thanks for the support on the D-6.1200.

#48 · (Edited)
if cost is no big issue get resonix cld and fastrings

The Kappas will be fine. Even if though theyre not as high end, you could still prefer the sound and theyre still good speakers. Theyre going for very good prices now and I like the optional midrange if you want to do a 3 way up front.

I actually quite like the looks of the current kappa speakers and subwoofers. Good values

#49 ·
if cost is no big issue get resonix cld and fastrings

The Kappas will be fine. Even if though theyre not as high end, you could still prefer the sound and theyre still good speakers. Theyre going for very good prices now and I like the optional midrange if you want to do a 3 way up front.
Those tbi tweeters are awesome I had those in my last build for awhile years ago

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#50 ·
#51 ·
Yeah, the TBI are great for being $60 and are smooth. Not my personal favs though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.