88 Corvette convertible, budget build recommendations please - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 tourmax will become famous soon enoughtourmax will become famous soon enoughtourmax will become famous soon enoughtourmax will become famous soon enoughtourmax will become famous soon enoughtourmax will become famous soon enough

Default 88 Corvette convertible, budget build recommendations please

Hi all. I recently retired and we bought ourselves a toy, a 1988 Corvette convertible:

*edit - had to remove pic, post count too low*

It's in pretty good shape, but the stereo is crap. It had the Bose system, but someone had ripped out the head unit and the behind the Bose speaker grills were some generic pioneer 6x9's. Dash has an adapter kit and an old JVC head unit. The head unit is so old the chromed plastic bits are actually corroded. to dd insult to injury, someone had wrapped speaker wire around the speaker cone wires and gone out to a couple panasonic 6x9's in individual boxes back in the cargo hatch area.

Suffice to say, it doesn't sound like much of anything besides crap. So the "stereo" was the first thing of the PO's travesties that I ripped out.

But now I need a sound system. I'm not new to building car audio, but I haven't done it in a while. I've also never done a convertible and I'm sure it can't be easy getting decent sound out of an open air box.

I personally don't have any use for rear speakers, I prefer my sound stage to be up front.

As to components, this is going to be a budget build (retired, remember?). It doesn't have to rock the neighborhood, it just has to make decent sound for me and the missus on a day trip. Decent sound means we can hear it and it sounds like music, not tinny, weak 1970's transistor radio sounding noise.

The car is GM's stupid 1.5 din opening. I'd like to have a touchscreen so the navigation is up and visible for us. I've already bought a used center panel to modify to a 2 din opening, so I've got that handled.

The rest is going to most likely be ebay purchases. Like most people these days (IE:smartphones), everything I do is on my iphone 10. So I need something that will mirror and be able to control the iphone as well as have FMradio. something that would take a flash card would also be good, if we wanted specific music or maybe a movie. I've seen lots of options on ebay (fairly inexpensively) that look to fit that bill. Recommendations would be welcome as I try to sift through it all. From briefly browsing ebay, it looks like 100-150bucks would get me something at least usable.

Speaker recommendations (or the ebay variety) would also be welcome. I used to be a fan of MB Quart, but as I understand it they had an ownership change a while back and now they are not what they used to be. For locations, I have the OEM door locations (don't look to be very good for imaging concerns), the dash has two speaker openings up top (and shoot right into the severely rearward raked windshield) and possibly custom foot well pods. I've made custom fitted fiberglass foot well pods before, I'm just not overly enthusiastic about going that route again.

For bass, I'm thinking a 6 or 8-incher is an custom enclosure fitted to one of the rear cargo area corners. Not looking for anything to "hammer" or shake the car, just something to fill in the low end a bit. A little bass from a dedicated driver makes less than top end speakers sound sooo much better.

For amps I've got some pioneers lying around from previous projects that I'll probably just re-purpose. One is a GMT6200 and the other is a 3200 IIRC. Older, but will get the job done. I'm not building a monster system here, just something with decent sound.

It's only going to ever sound so good being a convertible, so I don't see any need to go over the top with high end components. Basically, just an iphone interface and FM radio.The rest (Ie: sound) I will address with the installation process itself.

So, anyone want to recommend some components for a "low end" budget system?

tourmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2019   #2

Rep Power: 24 Pb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 88 Corvette convertible, budget build recommendations please

How much of a budget? Also, what size speakers are you trying to run? Subwoofer?

Yes, I have cars. They have aftermarket audio.
My build: https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...-corvette.html
Pb82 Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2019   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 120 gjmallory will become famous soon enoughgjmallory will become famous soon enoughgjmallory will become famous soon enoughgjmallory will become famous soon enoughgjmallory will become famous soon enoughgjmallory will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 88 Corvette convertible, budget build recommendations please

My last 3 cars/systems have been convertibles and I can tell you from experience that if you want to hear it AND sound good over the wind and road noise with the top down at freeway speeds... You kinda gotta overbuild it. Of course, you can find budget (or used/Ebay) components to make this happen. If you go for a smaller sub, make sure it ROCKS... A sub/box that crushes a hardtop will sound "fine" in a convertible. Sorry, I don't have any specific equipment recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

07 Mustang GT Conv Current:Pioneer 80-prs, Dayton DSP-408 - (FrontStage) Eclipse EA3422 ,HAT Mirus M61-2 6.5” Coaxials (Sub Stage) = KMA 500.1 (ARC Audio KS 500.1 mini clone) JL W6 10' (sealed) Installing (as time permits): Boston Acoustics ProSeries 6.43X 3-ways, x2 KMA 500.1 (ARC Audio KS 500.1 mini clone)slaved for 1k [email protected] ohms, x2 Image Dynamics CTX128 12's mounted IB (fiberglass baffle)
gjmallory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement