MK7 VW OEM stock tweeter location replacement - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 Lurchalicious will become famous soon enoughLurchalicious will become famous soon enoughLurchalicious will become famous soon enoughLurchalicious will become famous soon enoughLurchalicious will become famous soon enoughLurchalicious will become famous soon enough

Default MK7 VW OEM stock tweeter location replacement

Im going back and forth over using tweeter pods or just trying to fit another tweeter in the stock location A pillars.

in the MK7, this case a golf, the driver side tweeter is extremely off axis. The passenger side is off axis but at a much more reasonable angle.

What shallow, 1" to 1.5" tweeter, max 25mm depth, will provide decent enough off axis response for OEM location use?

I have a pair of GB10 tweeters i am debating on using in pods, but I really want to keep a clean OEM appearance.
Lurchalicious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2019   #2

Rep Power: 0 jbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: MK7 VW OEM stock tweeter location replacement

The GB10s should fit in the stock location, no? With all the good things I've heard about those tweeters they will definitely be a nice upgrade. Are you running off stock H/U?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
jbird61801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2019   #3

Rep Power: 0 Lurchalicious will become famous soon enoughLurchalicious will become famous soon enoughLurchalicious will become famous soon enoughLurchalicious will become famous soon enoughLurchalicious will become famous soon enoughLurchalicious will become famous soon enough

Well in their current state with the casing on they are far too big to go behind the a pillar. I was wondering about being able to remove the casing as there are "oem" gb10 versions out there.

I've currently not been able to find the gb10 off axis response, and was curious if there were any that were more well known that I could research. Ive been on the madisound website combing.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Old 07-27-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 375 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

The smaller the tweeter, the less important it is to put them on axis, but (typically) they won't play as low as a larger tweeter. I have a MK6 Golf, and some of those came with a Fender Audio package that has OEM A-pillar tweeters, does the MK7 have any different stereo options that you could source panels from that would eliminate the need to do any fabrication, and open up options for different sized tweeters?
gijoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2019   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
The smaller the tweeter, the less important it is to put them on axis, but (typically) they won't play as low as a larger tweeter. I have a MK6 Golf, and some of those came with a Fender Audio package that has OEM A-pillar tweeters, does the MK7 have any different stereo options that you could source panels from that would eliminate the need to do any fabrication, and open up options for different sized tweeters?
Theres a dynaudio tweeter from the European trim and in the us a "fender" tweeter, no idea who makes it.

Old 07-27-2019   #6

Rep Power: 43 Naptownsoldier1488 will become famous soon enoughNaptownsoldier1488 will become famous soon enoughNaptownsoldier1488 will become famous soon enoughNaptownsoldier1488 will become famous soon enoughNaptownsoldier1488 will become famous soon enoughNaptownsoldier1488 will become famous soon enough

Panasonic makes the fender audio speakers also the gb10 fits behind stock apillar tweeter grill just fine I have same car and had a pair there for 6 months use the mounting straps that come with them easy
Naptownsoldier1488 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2019   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptownsoldier1488 View Post
Panasonic makes the fender audio speakers also the gb10 fits behind stock apillar tweeter grill just fine I have same car and had a pair there for 6 months use the mounting straps that come with them easy
That's great to hear! How do they sound in the oem location?

Old 08-09-2019   #8

Rep Power: 0 jbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enoughjbird61801 will become famous soon enough

Did you ever get the GB10s installed? Curious how they sound for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
jbird61801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird61801 View Post
Did you ever get the GB10s installed? Curious how they sound for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I ended up selling the gb10s "standard" versions and found a set of gb10 "oem" versions. The oem set is just a tweeter and an abs waveguide for low profile locations.

I debating using pods, I even had some pods 3d printed that will integrate with the stock pillars but it was still more of a look I didnt want. End the end I want a totally OEM appearance.

I've got all my pieces, but I'm stuck on having enough time to install it all now. Home life and adulting etc. Thinking I may outsource the install.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement