Focal KX2 vs KX3 mid-woofer - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2019   #1
 
Newbie
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9


Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 lardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Focal KX2 vs KX3 mid-woofer

I have been building out my system for a bunch of months and am at the final stages. I currently have a set of KX2's as well as KX3's.

I originally was running the KX2's with a set of KX3 mids for a 3-way front. I was not happy with the volume or the mid-bass. It sounded anemic to my ears. I then decided to bridge 2 channels to drive the front mids-bass. This made a huge difference. However, the KX2's are 2ohm and the VXI is not 2ohm stable bridged.

I had a choice at that point, get a second amp to run the mids or get 4ohm mid-woofers. I decided to get the KX3's.

It sounds like the KX3 mid-woofer has slightly less punch than the KX2 to my ears.

I still have some choices as to what I can do. My system is as follows:

VX800/8i: Fronts
VX600/1i: 10in Sub
Audiocontrol 2.300: Rear fill

I first want to get feedback on the mid-bass comparison. If I end up going with the KX2 mid-bass, I will run them with the Audiocontrol through the pre-outs so I can use the DSP and that would get me to 150w.

Thoughts?
lardawge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-28-2019   #2
 
Pb82 Ronin's Avatar
 
Member
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 492


Thanks: 58
Thanked 76 Times in 61 Posts
Rep Power: 23 Pb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: Focal KX2 vs KX3 mid-woofer

I run the same setup (800/8 with KX2 component set) in a 3-way active. I'm still in the tuning phase, but I have noticed that if you give it 70-400 Hz in the tune, mid-bass picks up significantly. I run the 3.5 from 400-4000 Hz. Tweets 4K and up. I do have much more mid-bass than before, but not as much volume output it seems.

Yes, I have cars. They have aftermarket audio.
My build: https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...-corvette.html
Pb82 Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2019   #3
 
Newbie
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9


Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 lardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: Focal KX2 vs KX3 mid-woofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin View Post
I run the same setup (800/8 with KX2 component set) in a 3-way active. I'm still in the tuning phase, but I have noticed that if you give it 70-400 Hz in the tune, mid-bass picks up significantly. I run the 3.5 from 400-4000 Hz. Tweets 4K and up. I do have much more mid-bass than before, but not as much volume output it seems.
These amps are only running 100w at 2ohm which means that the speaker is power-starved. The mid-bass is rated at 120w nominal and can handle 240w max. When I bridged 2 channels, it was game-changing as far as sound level.
lardawge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club
 
Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Aurora, Co
Age: 36
Posts: 6,752

Thanks: 0
Thanked 513 Times in 435 Posts
Rep Power: 375 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute


iTrader: (7)



Default Re: Focal KX2 vs KX3 mid-woofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardawge View Post
These amps are only running 100w at 2ohm which means that the speaker is power-starved. The mid-bass is rated at 120w nominal and can handle 240w max. When I bridged 2 channels, it was game-changing as far as sound level.
I'm not sure that you really understand how power equates to a speaker's performance. Doubling the power only provides a 3dB increase in output. Sending 100 watts to a 120 watt speaker isn't starving it of power (you actually can't starve a speaker, lower the power, and you lower the output, that's all). Going from 100 watts up to 120 watts will not even be audible, doubling power is audible, but 3dB more output isn't significant. Bridging the amp for more power will not change the sound beyond making it louder.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to gijoe For This Useful Post:
Pb82 Ronin (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019   #5
 
Newbie
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9


Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 lardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: Focal KX2 vs KX3 mid-woofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
I'm not sure that you really understand how power equates to a speaker's performance. Doubling the power only provides a 3dB increase in output. Sending 100 watts to a 120 watt speaker isn't starving it of power (you actually can't starve a speaker, lower the power, and you lower the output, that's all). Going from 100 watts up to 120 watts will not even be audible, doubling power is audible, but 3dB more output isn't significant. Bridging the amp for more power will not change the sound beyond making it louder.
Not helpful at all. Condescending, yes. I specifically said it helped with the volume. Sorry if I didnít say it the exactly way you want to hear it.
lardawge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2019   #6
DIYMA 500 Club
 
Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Aurora, Co
Age: 36
Posts: 6,752

Thanks: 0
Thanked 513 Times in 435 Posts
Rep Power: 375 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute


iTrader: (7)



Default Re: Focal KX2 vs KX3 mid-woofer

My point is that bridging the amp isn't going to make nearly as big of a difference as you implied, so I wouldn't get too hung up on that as a requirement, pick the woofer that sounds best to you because the power situation won't make a very big difference. If the KX2's sound better, use them, regardless of the fact that you won't be able to bridge the amp to the 2 ohm load. The extra power won't be significant anyway, so you aren't losing much.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2019   #7
 
Newbie
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9


Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 lardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: Focal KX2 vs KX3 mid-woofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
My point is that bridging the amp isn't going to make nearly as big of a difference as you implied, so I wouldn't get too hung up on that as a requirement, pick the woofer that sounds best to you because the power situation won't make a very big difference. If the KX2's sound better, use them, regardless of the fact that you won't be able to bridge the amp to the 2 ohm load. The extra power won't be significant anyway, so you aren't losing much.
I wholeheartedly disagree with this having heard and experienced both bridged and unabridged. I went from being able to turn the volume all the way up and wanting more to only using 3/4 volume max before it is to loud to tolerate. You can do whatever math you want but ears donít lie. I am happy with the volume and clarity at the moment. I just wanted to get opinions on the two mids-bass speakers before I decide which set to sell.
lardawge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2019   #8
DIYMA 500 Club
 
Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Aurora, Co
Age: 36
Posts: 6,752

Thanks: 0
Thanked 513 Times in 435 Posts
Rep Power: 375 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute


iTrader: (7)



Default Re: Focal KX2 vs KX3 mid-woofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardawge View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree with this having heard and experienced both bridged and unabridged. I went from being able to turn the volume all the way up and wanting more to only using 3/4 volume max before it is to loud to tolerate. You can do whatever math you want but ears donít lie. I am happy with the volume and clarity at the moment. I just wanted to get opinions on the two mids-bass speakers before I decide which set to sell.
Actually, ears do "lie." Our sense of hearing isn't particularly great, especially when it comes to comparisons like the one you are making. Our memory only stores accurate audio information for a few seconds, even the time it takes to switch the wiring from bridged to un-bridged is enough to completely invalidate the comparison.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echoic_memory

Without being an ass, your perception is flawed. This is a huge issue within the audio related hobbies, and exactly why there is so much snake oil in this industry. If someone believes there will be an audible difference, they will "hear" one, even if that difference is non-existent.

My point is not to be insulting, it's to show you that power if far less of a concern than you (and most other people) believe it to be. If you decide the KX2 is the better sounding speaker, use it, even if you can't bridge the amp to 2 ohms. The extra power isn't helping nearly as much as you believe.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2019   #9
 
Newbie
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9


Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 lardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enoughlardawge will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: Focal KX2 vs KX3 mid-woofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
Actually, ears do "lie." Our sense of hearing isn't particularly great, especially when it comes to comparisons like the one you are making. Our memory only stores accurate audio information for a few seconds, even the time it takes to switch the wiring from bridged to un-bridged is enough to completely invalidate the comparison.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echoic_memory

Without being an ass, your perception is flawed. This is a huge issue within the audio related hobbies, and exactly why there is so much snake oil in this industry. If someone believes there will be an audible difference, they will "hear" one, even if that difference is non-existent.

My point is not to be insulting, it's to show you that power if far less of a concern than you (and most other people) believe it to be. If you decide the KX2 is the better sounding speaker, use it, even if you can't bridge the amp to 2 ohms. The extra power isn't helping nearly as much as you believe.
OK, I concede. You are correct. It is more likely that there were some settings in my dsp that were making it seem as though there was an increase in volume when I bridged the channels. By bridging the 2 channels it reset the output levels and so on.

I probably had exactly what I needed when I originally built the system and then started down the rabbit hole of chasing volume because it sounded like it was lacking after having it tuned.

Either way, thanks for the info. It led me to a great article that discusses exactly what you are saying.

So, do you think there is any point in bridging the woofers at all?
lardawge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2019   #10
DIYMA 500 Club
 
Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Aurora, Co
Age: 36
Posts: 6,752

Thanks: 0
Thanked 513 Times in 435 Posts
Rep Power: 375 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute


iTrader: (7)



Default Re: Focal KX2 vs KX3 mid-woofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardawge View Post
OK, I concede. You are correct. It is more likely that there were some settings in my dsp that were making it seem as though there was an increase in volume when I bridged the channels. By bridging the 2 channels it reset the output levels and so on.

I probably had exactly what I needed when I originally built the system and then started down the rabbit hole of chasing volume because it sounded like it was lacking after having it tuned.

Either way, thanks for the info. It led me to a great article that discusses exactly what you are saying.

So, do you think there is any point in bridging the woofers at all?
If you have extra channels to work with, sure, bridge the amp. The extra power won't hurt, and although it won't help a ton, there's no reason to let the extra channels go to waste. The extra power will help with output, and dynamics, and although it won't be significant, you might as well use the extra channels if you have them. I wouldn't, however, buy another amp for extra channels just to bridge the speakers.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2019   #11
 
Pb82 Ronin's Avatar
 
Member
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 492


Thanks: 58
Thanked 76 Times in 61 Posts
Rep Power: 23 Pb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: Focal KX2 vs KX3 mid-woofer

Also, we did run the frequency range all the way down to the Fs of the speaker at 55 hz, and it began to distort at volume. Bumping the low end to 70 hz fixed the problem.

Yes, I have cars. They have aftermarket audio.
My build: https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...-corvette.html
Pb82 Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Ad Management by RedTyger

Home | User CP | Members List | New Posts | ITrader | Faq | Post Spy