Recommend: 4 channel amp for active 2 way front stage - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 tv_crimes will become famous soon enoughtv_crimes will become famous soon enoughtv_crimes will become famous soon enoughtv_crimes will become famous soon enoughtv_crimes will become famous soon enoughtv_crimes will become famous soon enough

Question Recommend: 4 channel amp for active 2 way front stage

Looking for power and easy to setup. This will be my first active install (not first car audio install) and I want to use a quality amp but the ease of use and tune is HUGE for me as a first-timer.

I was considering the Rockford FosgateT400X4ad but realized I should explore my options and get opinions from those more experienced than myself.

Front stage speakers:
Mid: Audiofrog GB60
Tweeter: Audiofrog GB15

Please suggest a 4 channel amp that might be forgiving to a first time active speaker installer.
tv_crimes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 167 metanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Recommend: 4 channel amp for active 2 way front stage

What are you using to crossover between the tweeters and mids? DSP? Electronic crossover built-in to amp? Built-in to Head Unit?

’14 Tundra: Pioneer AVH2300NEX - Helix Mini - RF 2-Punch 200x2 & 1-Punch 240x4 Trans.ana - AudioFrog GB15, GB60 & GB12D2
metanium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019   #3

Rep Power: 0 tv_crimes will become famous soon enoughtv_crimes will become famous soon enoughtv_crimes will become famous soon enoughtv_crimes will become famous soon enoughtv_crimes will become famous soon enoughtv_crimes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by metanium View Post
What are you using to crossover between the tweeters and mids? DSP? Electronic crossover built-in to amp? Built-in to Head Unit?
Sorry my lack of detail. I will be using a JL Twk88 DSP but would also be interested in amps that are capable of handling crossover.

Old 08-05-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 192 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

Are you specially looking at the RF amp based on size? Or budget? Or both?

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 GB10d4x2 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
Are you specially looking at the RF amp based on size? Or budget? Or both?
I am not stuck on any particular brand. Budget limit is $500 but I would like to stay under if possible.
Old 08-05-2019   #6

Rep Power: 45 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

Make sure to put a capacitor on your tweeter. Even experienced installers do it cause if your amp or dsp puts out anything to low in freq it will fry your tweeter. On amp. I've used the alpine X-A70F. It's decent. I'm using the audiocontrol lc-6.1200 which is also good. It's a 6 channel but I know they make a 4. Amps can be really cheap or really expensive depending on size and quality. I used one of the cheaper rockford amps in my old car and sent it back. I had a noise issue.

I think Andy at audiofrog suggests using a 68uf capacitor. You can get caps at parts express for cheap.
Mahapederdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019   #7

Rep Power: 12 saltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enough

I have that RF amp on my passive two-way front stage. I use a TwK D8. It's extremely clean and efficient. No issues whatsoever. If I ever go active, I'll keep this amp. If I had it to do over, staying in the same price range, I'd buy the same amp again. I've owned nice amps in the past...Alpine PDX, JL XD and RD, Memphis Belle, and earlier RF stuff. In my opinion, these small RF Power amps are the best I've owned. They'll get a little hot to the touch, but that just tells me the little fans are doing their jobs...keeping the heat off of the interior components. I've listened hard, and I can not tell when the fans are running and when they're not. The amps have never gone into protection mode. Set up was a breeze, RF even provides a set-up disk to assist.
saltyone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 306 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Talk to Skizer about a Helix M-Four. If memory serves it will fit your budget and if you have issues he has your back being authorized unlike the gray market sellers on ebay. I know everything's in German the but numbers should be self explanatory.
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/heli...taerker/m-four

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...MAKE DIYMA GREAT AGAIN!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahapederdon View Post
Make sure to put a capacitor on your tweeter. Even experienced installers do it cause if your amp or dsp puts out anything to low in freq it will fry your tweeter. On amp. I've used the alpine X-A70F. It's decent. I'm using the audiocontrol lc-6.1200 which is also good. It's a 6 channel but I know they make a 4. Amps can be really cheap or really expensive depending on size and quality. I used one of the cheaper rockford amps in my old car and sent it back. I had a noise issue.

I think Andy at audiofrog suggests using a 68uf capacitor. You can get caps at parts express for cheap.
Great piece of advice. Just learned about this last night as a safeguard for active tweeters. I'll reach out to Audiofrog and verify which capacitor I should be using.
Old 08-05-2019   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyone View Post
I have that RF amp on my passive two-way front stage. I use a TwK D8. It's extremely clean and efficient. No issues whatsoever. If I ever go active, I'll keep this amp. If I had it to do over, staying in the same price range, I'd buy the same amp again. I've owned nice amps in the past...Alpine PDX, JL XD and RD, Memphis Belle, and earlier RF stuff. In my opinion, these small RF Power amps are the best I've owned. They'll get a little hot to the touch, but that just tells me the little fans are doing their jobs...keeping the heat off of the interior components. I've listened hard, and I can not tell when the fans are running and when they're not. The amps have never gone into protection mode. Set up was a breeze, RF even provides a set-up disk to assist.

Great to hear. I do like the size of this amp and as a personal preference, it would be nice to have the 4 channel and mono be the same. Obviously does not need to be but it makes me feel warm and cozy lol.
Old 08-05-2019   #11

Rep Power: 12 saltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_crimes View Post
Great to hear. I do like the size of this amp and as a personal preference, it would be nice to have the 4 channel and mono be the same. Obviously does not need to be but it makes me feel warm and cozy lol.
I went into my build with no loyalty to any one brand. I wanted the best components, best amps, best sound processing, best subwoofer, and best wiring I could afford. From there I started looking at options for each category. I have five or six major brands represented in my build, and I'm very happy with the results. A brand specific install looks nice, but I valued SQ over looks. That being said, I am by no means saying that you can't build a system using one or two specific brands that sounds amazing..you absolutely can. That just wasn't my goal.

My advice, don't get hung up on brand names and "looks" and focus on quality, and what fits your install and budget. Build the best you can with what you have, and I promise you will not regret it. Once it's built, ensure it's properly tuned. If the tuning is above your skill-grade, hire someone with the expertise. You could spend $10,000 on a complete system very easily, but it'll still sound like crap if it isn't properly tuned.

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2019   #12

Rep Power: 36 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_crimes View Post
Looking for power and easy to setup. This will be my first active install (not first car audio install) and I want to use a quality amp but the ease of use and tune is HUGE for me as a first-timer.

I was considering the Rockford FosgateT400X4ad but realized I should explore my options and get opinions from those more experienced than myself.

Front stage speakers:

Mid: Audiofrog GB60

Tweeter: Audiofrog GB15

Please suggest a 4 channel amp that might be forgiving to a first time active speaker installer.
Have you looked at the JL Audio RD or XD 400/4? $300 and $400 respectively, retail.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2019   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
Have you looked at the JL Audio RD or XD 400/4? $300 and $400 respectively, retail.

Checked them both out. They seem great... I think. As a bit of a noob I don't know why you would choose the either of the JL's over the rockford. I'm not leaning towards one or the other, I have no idea if one offers better benefits over the other. They all seem pretty good. The JL controls seem really straightforward.
Old 08-06-2019   #14

Rep Power: 33 disconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enough

Mosconi AS100.4 or Helix M Four or Audison LRX 5.1k or Hybrid Audio Technologies Unity Series U4A or Tru Technology T-4.65

Corvette: Alpine ILX-207, Helix DSP.2, Mosconi AS 100.4, Audiofrog GB10, Stereo Integrity TM65mkii, SDS CLD Tiles, CCF, MLV, no subs.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2019   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Mosconi AS100.4 or Helix M Four or Audison LRX 5.1k or Hybrid Audio Technologies Unity Series U4A or Tru Technology T-4.65
He has a budget limit of $500. You overshot that a little. An amp doesn’t have to be esoteric to work well, but esoteric amps sure seem to cost a lot.

Old 08-07-2019   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 306 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He has a budget limit of $500. You overshot that a little. An amp doesn’t have to be esoteric to work well, but esoteric amps sure seem to cost a lot.
Yeah, his budget seems to be at that happy spot where you can get a really good amp without really skimping much on quality. Beyond that the law of diminishing returns starts to kick in hard. Can't remember what Skizer quoted me on the M-Four but it was between 4 and 5 bills I think. Hell it might have been under 4 bills. The M-Six has my attention!

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...MAKE DIYMA GREAT AGAIN!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2019   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
Quote:
Yeah, his budget seems to be at that happy spot where you can get a really good amp without really skimping much on quality. Beyond that the law of diminishing returns starts to kick in hard. Can't remember what Skizer quoted me on the M-Four but it was between 4 and 5 bills I think. Hell it might have been under 4 bills. The M-Six has my attention!
Yep...M-Four was within price range. Others were triple that. LOL

The M-Four can be had for less than $300. But, that’s on the bay, and I’d rather buy from someone like Skizer to ensure my investment was protected.

Old 08-07-2019   #18

Quote:

The M-Four can be had for less than $300. But, that’s on the bay, and I’d rather buy from someone like Skizer to ensure my investment was protected.

Seems like a great amp. I am now researching amps with build in DSP and tuning to simplify things.

I'm considering the following:
JL Audio VX400/4i
Kicker 42iQ500.4
AudioControl D4.800
Old 08-07-2019   #19

Rep Power: 33 disconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enough

Mosconi AS100.4 for under $500
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SILVER-MOSC...AAAOSwTxhcNjvJ

Helix M Four for under $400
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HELIX-M-FOU...gAAOSw28pa0nBj

Audison LRX 5.1k for under $500
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audison-LRX...cAAOSwfP1dFsi7

Hybrid Audio Technologies Unity Series U4A for under $400
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hybrid-Audi...UAAOSwlqVdRFjw

Tru Technology T-4.65 for under $500
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-T...wAAOSwcUdcysyB

Corvette: Alpine ILX-207, Helix DSP.2, Mosconi AS 100.4, Audiofrog GB10, Stereo Integrity TM65mkii, SDS CLD Tiles, CCF, MLV, no subs.
Old 08-07-2019   #20

Quote:

My recommendations were all under $500.00

Old 08-07-2019   #21

Quote:
Quote:

Yep...used on eBay. Cool.

Old 08-07-2019   #22

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 95 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Jbl ms1004. Built in active crossovers.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Jscoyne2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019   #23

Quote:
Thanks for the effort but I am only looking to buy new for my system. The Helix seems like a great amp
Old 08-08-2019   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 67 bnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enough

Arc audio ks300.4 is my favorite 4 channel, bar none.... (well, for the price anyway )

Does not have dsp or extremely advanced crossovers though.

Unfortunately the v3 is pretty ugly, may not be able to find a new v2.

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan. Pioneer P880prs, Helix Dsp.2, JL 12w6v2 sealed, Arc KS1000.1, Modified Arc KS900.6, FI N.7 midbass, Illusion Audio C3cx. Ipod Classic - apple lossless. Just keep tryin' to get a little better.
bnae38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnae38 View Post
Arc audio ks300.4 is my favorite 4 channel, bar none.... (well, for the price anyway )

Does not have dsp or extremely advanced crossovers though.

Unfortunately the v3 is pretty ugly, may not be able to find a new v2.
I'll be sure to check it out. Why is it your favorite 4 channel amp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement