IB design in LS430 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 datooff will become famous soon enoughdatooff will become famous soon enoughdatooff will become famous soon enoughdatooff will become famous soon enoughdatooff will become famous soon enoughdatooff will become famous soon enough

Default IB design in LS430

Hello, everyone. I'm a newbie on this forum.

I'm considering trying IB in my Lexus LS430.
3-way SQ setup. At the moment the sub is Sinfoni C320 in a sealed box, but it has to be rebuilt to fit correctly and to direct the sub upwards.
Love the sound, a very fast, deep response. But it will take a lot of work to rebuild the box.

I've attached the photos on my trunk. The rear seats do not fall down, there's a refrigerator and there's rear AC system. + there's a sound insulation behind the seats and I installed.

So the only way the air from the sub is coming - is throughout the factory 8 (increased to 10) inch hole in the rear deck.

I wanted to try 1x15 or 1x18 FI ib318 v2 pointing to the trunk so the air will come throughout the rear deck. (4-th picture attached).
Reasons:
- Easier to build the baffle than to build a custom sealed box.
- Takes less space / less weight.
- To play very low with ease.

Can you please advice - is it worth it to build an IB in this trunk and the best way to do it?
Will the 18-inch sub match the speed of my 6 inch midbass?

Thank you very much!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180731_190416.jpg (128.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20180731_190354.jpg (168.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg P1030482.jpg (1.55 MB, 30 views)
File Type: png 2019-08-10 16_00_01-infinitebafup2.gif - Програм&#1084.png (7.5 KB, 169 views)
datooff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 143 SQ_Blaze will become famous soon enoughSQ_Blaze will become famous soon enoughSQ_Blaze will become famous soon enoughSQ_Blaze will become famous soon enoughSQ_Blaze will become famous soon enoughSQ_Blaze will become famous soon enough

Default Re: IB design in LS430

I too would like to hear opinions on this, and/or ideas.

I also have an LS430, a 2001 with just over 198k miles on it.

2016 Nissan 370Z <-- For Sale!
Pioneer AVH-X491BHS | Helix DSP.2 | Arc Audio XDi1200.6 | Stereo Integrity TM65 MK II | Stereo Integrity M25 | Bazooka BT8024DVC x 2
SQ_Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2019   #3

Rep Power: 0 datooff will become famous soon enoughdatooff will become famous soon enoughdatooff will become famous soon enoughdatooff will become famous soon enoughdatooff will become famous soon enoughdatooff will become famous soon enough

Update: bought an IB sub. FI IB3 18inch.
Will be installing it.

Question: Is it necessary to build the rear wall of the manifold as shown on this image? (behind the magnet). Or is the front wall enough?
Attached Images
File Type: png 11.png (7.6 KB, 129 views)

Old 08-24-2019   #4

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 58 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

No if you can get a good seal to the deck only thing I'm worried about is some weird quasi Bandpass behavior. The front is going to be a regular baffle right?
dcfis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfis View Post
No if you can get a good seal to the deck only thing I'm worried about is some weird quasi Bandpass behavior. The front is going to be a regular baffle right?
Thanks!
Yes, I planed a regular baffle.
Old 08-25-2019   #6

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 58 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

Should be a good plan then
The Following User Says Thank You to dcfis For This Useful Post:
datooff (08-26-2019)
Old 09-14-2019   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 143 SQ_Blaze will become famous soon enoughSQ_Blaze will become famous soon enoughSQ_Blaze will become famous soon enoughSQ_Blaze will become famous soon enoughSQ_Blaze will become famous soon enoughSQ_Blaze will become famous soon enough

Any updates on this?

2016 Nissan 370Z <-- For Sale!
Pioneer AVH-X491BHS | Helix DSP.2 | Arc Audio XDi1200.6 | Stereo Integrity TM65 MK II | Stereo Integrity M25 | Bazooka BT8024DVC x 2
SQ_Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2019   #8

Not yet. My sub is held at the customs, I have to wait a little before installing.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Update:

I will be installing FI IB3 18 (first gen) soon. Choosing the location at the moment.

Thinking about building the baffle at the angle. (ATTACHMENT 2) Like the guy on this forum did, but I plan to aim the magnet inside the cabin.
This way I could save a little bit more space of the trunk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1570383678128.jpg (1.61 MB, 12 views)
File Type: png 2019-10-06 20_49_15-Window.png (468.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Started building the baffle.

This is just 1 layer of 3/4 plywood. Will be gluing 2 of them, and probably the third one of 10mm (already done) to make it solid.
The next layer will cover the holes that are clearly visible.

I also cut the back OEM cover behind the sub to allow the air move thought the rear deck hole.
Will be increasing the hole from 8in to 10+ inches.

I plan to secure the baffle to the top of the rear deck and to the floor with solid metal corners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1570821570833.jpg (1.07 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 1570821571864.jpg (1.13 MB, 6 views)
Old 1 Week Ago   #11

Rep Power: 21 Chris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by datooff View Post
Started building the baffle.

This is just 1 layer of 3/4 plywood. Will be gluing 2 of them, and probably the third one of 10mm (already done) to make it solid.
The next layer will cover the holes that are clearly visible.

I also cut the back OEM cover behind the sub to allow the air move thought the rear deck hole.
Will be increasing the hole from 8in to 10+ inches.

I plan to secure the baffle to the top of the rear deck and to the floor with solid metal corners.
Nice start!

Regarding your statement (bold and underlined above):

Just make sure you have good separation (airtight is the goal) between the front and rear of the speaker. Sounds like you’re trying to get more air to the rear of the speaker (facing the front of the car) by enlarging the hole in the rear deck - most just allow the sound waves to pass right through the rear seats, which they do with ease.

DDX9905s HU | MiniDSP | JL XD Amps | AE SBP15
Scan Be 3004-604010 | Esotar² 430 | JL ZR800
Chris12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #12

Enthusiast

18" Fi looks sweeeet Make sure to triple up
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

Hello, thank you for your response!

The "problem" with my car is that the seats can't be folded + there's a solid baffle after the seat + there's rear AC after that baffle (with a refrigerator in the ski pass) + I sound deadened heavily the rear seats inside the cabin.

So, my main goal is to allow the air from the sub to move through the rear deck hole and rear deck as a whole. Of course, some of it will also come from behind the seats.

I will be secure the baffle at the beginning of the rear deck (and I will insulate every hole so that air is separated from the trunk, but the other part of the deck (2/3 of the deck) will allow the air to move into the cabin.

Hope it will work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris12 View Post
Nice start!

Regarding your statement (bold and underlined above):

Just make sure you have good separation (airtight is the goal) between the front and rear of the speaker. Sounds like you’re trying to get more air to the rear of the speaker (facing the front of the car) by enlarging the hole in the rear deck - most just allow the sound waves to pass right through the rear seats, which they do with ease.
Old 1 Week Ago   #14

Thank you!

One 3/4 plywood piece is soooo not enough

Update:
I glued a second 10mm piece of the baffle that's behind the main one.

Tomorrow - I will add a third 3/4 piece that will be covering the areas that are not tight.

I also sound deaned half of the rear deck with a 4mm heavy material that is very solid. The part of the rear deck that I will secure the baffle.

I will post more photos tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfis View Post
18" Fi looks sweeeet Make sure to triple up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement