Helix DSP.3 questions - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 78 FordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of light

Question Helix DSP.3 questions

For those with Helix DSP.3 experience …

1. Re: Multiple selectable "Sound Setups" - Am I correct in understanding that a sound setup saved to memory includes absolutely every setting available in the software? IOW, one saved setup can include IO routing to a center speaker output (configured as "realcenter") and be tuned for least-compromised multiple-seat listening, while a second saved setup can omit IO routing to a center speaker output and be tuned for optimal driver-only listening without the center speaker being used at all.

And, if I'm only needing to switch between these two setups as a regular thing, the URC.3 controller can handle that without the need for the full-tilt Director, is that correct?

2. Re: "realcenter" - I am assuming that "realcenter" does a heckova job in providing a least-compromised multiple-seat listening experience, but that a 'no-center' configuration tuned specific to a driver-only provides the better imaging for a driver-only situation. Has that been your experience?

4. Re: Line-level and High Level input - it appears that the DSP.3 is unique among Helix' to date in that it allows simultaneous line-level and high-level inputs as long as they aren't on the same input channel. BUT, there's one gain adjustment and affects both the line-level and the high-level inputs (presumably within the relative voltage range applicable to each). So, to actually use both line- and high-level inputs one must find a gain setting on that single adjustment that works for both (and may not be optimal for either). Is that correct?

^this question in the context of an OEM HU where all of my music outputs to the DSP.3 inputs are high-level but I am able to tap a line-level source for my Navigation Voice Guidance absent any music (all of the music outputs are muted by the OEM system when the NAV Voice 'speaks'). IF I can introduce that Nav Voice as a line-level input it would be convenient. Yes, there is a workaround involving the use of one-channel of an amp to boost the Nav Voice to high-level and tweak that level at the amp (a JBL MS-A1004) to coordinate it with the OEM HU outputs.

Thanks In Advance for helping me understand the nuances of the DSP.3 .... I thinks it's looking like a most promising choice for my new vehicle requirements.

FordEscape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
MSC America / Mobile Solutions
Position:
Director of Technical Support and Training

Rep Power: 101 dobslob will become famous soon enoughdobslob will become famous soon enoughdobslob will become famous soon enoughdobslob will become famous soon enoughdobslob will become famous soon enoughdobslob will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Helix DSP.3 questions

1. Yes, the sound setup is every aspect of the DSP's job. A different setup can be used to switch inputs, outputs, levels, T/A, eq, etc.

Yes, the URC-3 can do exactly that.

2. Yes, while designed for improving listening for all passengers, the RealCenter algorithm can be used to really optimize the sound for one single passenger.

4.The mixing of high and low level is not unique to the DSP.3 at all, and you are correct, as long as they aren't the same channels of input. On some units like the DSP Pro MK2 and the P-SIX DSP there are independent input levels for each channel inside the unit to allow for perfect integration. Also, each input can be adjusted for level on the IO screen by double clicking on the chosen input and adjusting the level. This is also where you would adjust the polarity of the input as well. If your concern is with levels on summed channels, the ratio of each input on summed channels is adjustable in the IO screen.

Doug Dobson
Director of Technical Support MSC America
P 480.372.2929 C 480.466.6024
dobslob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dobslob For This Useful Post:
FordEscape (1 Week Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement