Should I get a DSP? I have passive components - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 xxedgexx will become famous soon enoughxxedgexx will become famous soon enoughxxedgexx will become famous soon enoughxxedgexx will become famous soon enoughxxedgexx will become famous soon enoughxxedgexx will become famous soon enough

Default Should I get a DSP? I have passive components

I’m trying to decide if I would benefit from a DSP. I’m using Dyn 342’s in the front and Dyn 242’s in the rear. I don’t really want to go all out and go fully active, so I’m wondering if I would still benefit from a dsp.

Also, what DSP would you recommend on the high end. Currently looking at Zapco.
xxedgexx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,177 Posts
Rep Power: 452 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Should I get a DSP? I have passive components

a dsp is *always* beneficial

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 xxedgexx will become famous soon enoughxxedgexx will become famous soon enoughxxedgexx will become famous soon enoughxxedgexx will become famous soon enoughxxedgexx will become famous soon enoughxxedgexx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
a dsp is *always* beneficial
Any recommendations?

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 452 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

I only use Helix/Brax for processing in my shop

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
I only use Helix/Brax for processing in my shop
Thanks. I’m familiar with Brax but it seems hard to get. I need this before my install on Monday. I’ll look at Brax again.
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Rep Power: 42 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

I've had the jl twk 88 and now have the helix dsp.3.
For passive setup I think the helix would be good cause it has way more bands than the jl does. But I have no gripes with either of them.
Mahapederdon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxedgexx View Post
Thanks. Iím familiar with Brax but it seems hard to get. I need this before my install on Monday. Iíll look at Brax again.
Brax and helix are the same parent company. same software and everything. A brax dsp is more than most peoples entire install and takes over a month to have it made. Look into the Helix

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

Listener of Music

Rep Power: 99 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

Dayton 408 with next day shipping from parts express. A small amount of money invested to prove you need a dsp. After you get used to it and upgrade to a 3 way (because you will!) hit up Skizer for that Helix

Just because I have 2000+ posts doesn't mean I have learned anything.
Theslaking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theslaking View Post
Dayton 408 with next day shipping from parts express. A small amount of money invested to prove you need a dsp. After you get used to it and upgrade to a 3 way (because you will!) hit up Skizer for that Helix
Going right to the better one is cheaper, easier, and less time consuming in the long run.

Old 1 Week Ago   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

Listener of Music

Rep Power: 99 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

I agree.

Most can't fathom spending even 200 on something they don't know they need. Just suggesting something that may not seem unreasonable to an inexperienced.

Just because I have 2000+ posts doesn't mean I have learned anything.
Theslaking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #11

Rep Power: 10 saltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. I’m familiar with Brax but it seems hard to get. I need this before my install on Monday. I’ll look at Brax again.
Brax and helix are the same parent company. same software and everything. A brax dsp is more than most peoples entire install and takes over a month to have it made. Look into the Helix
Out of curiosity, how much is a Brax DSP? Have you installed many? The description on their site makes it sound as if it practically perfectly tunes itself...is that possible? It’s definitely intriguing.

saltyone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyone View Post
Out of curiosity, how much is a Brax DSP? Have you installed many? The description on their site makes it sound as if it practically perfectly tunes itself...is that possible? Itís definitely intriguing.
I have one going in a car soon, with the possibility of another soon. I haven't read the description on the site, but all modern helix/match/brax dsps all have an Auto EQ feature. You just have to set delays, crossovers, routing, etc.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Old 1 Week Ago   #13

Rep Power: 10 saltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enough

I assume you’d have to use the Helix Pro to come close to the processing potential of the Brax? They look (based on technology/components) to be amazing processors. I’d love to hear your thoughts after installing and tuning the Brax.

saltyone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Briggs will become famous soon enoughBriggs will become famous soon enoughBriggs will become famous soon enoughBriggs will become famous soon enoughBriggs will become famous soon enoughBriggs will become famous soon enough

curious about DSP as well. with a head unit that has DSP (DEX-P99RS) could you forgo the separate DSP and get similar results?

ASSUMING front channels only - no rear fill
Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 55 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
... I need this before my install on Monday.
Two days does not seem like enough time to understand whether you need one, and then which one you need.

Maybe it is enough time, but it took me longer.

What problem are you needing to correct, that a DSP can solve?
What is a DSP going to do for you?
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 94 RRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggs View Post
curious about DSP as well. with a head unit that has DSP (DEX-P99RS) could you forgo the separate DSP and get similar results?

ASSUMING front channels only - no rear fill
Yes. The P99 has plenty of processing, and will be more than enough for the majority of listeners.

DEX P99rs / Zapco / Stereo Integrity / MECA Street 3rd place 2016 World Finals
RRizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 371 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRizz View Post
Yes. The P99 has plenty of processing, and will be more than enough for the majority of listeners.
Yup. A standalone DSP will be more powerful on paper, and in the hands of someone who really knows that theyíre doing, they would have the advantage. But, the P99RS can do an active 4-way system very well. It has flexible crossovers and independent left/right EQ. You can make an incredible system if you can learn enough to take advantage of all of itís features.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #18

Rep Power: 31 Redliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
Two days does not seem like enough time to understand whether you need one, and then which one you need.

Maybe it is enough time, but it took me longer.

What problem are you needing to correct, that a DSP can solve?

What is a DSP going to do for you?

You mask some of the stupidest questions as make some of the dumbest posts on a daily basis. Blows my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redliner99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 55 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner99 View Post
You mask some of the stupidest questions as make some of the dumbest posts on a daily basis. Blows my mind.
Well at least I am providing a service - which may be to make others look smart.

Thankfully the forum allows a variety of perspectives, and it is easy for people to just ignore the dumb posts.
Old 6 Days Ago   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Nottinghamshire Police
Position:
Auto electrician/Fabricator

Rep Power: 158 dumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner99 View Post

I thought it was just me that read his posts and figured he was bonkers hatstand crazy
dumdum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dumdum For This Useful Post:
Holmz (6 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #21

Rep Power: 31 Redliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I thought it was just me that read his posts and figured he was bonkers hatstand crazy

No sir. A lot of people

Redliner99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redliner99 For This Useful Post:
dumdum (6 Days Ago), Holmz (6 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #22

Rep Power: 51 Vx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enough

Just remember, between the three of you you're speaking three different versions of a common language! Then take into account autocorrect!

Dumdum and I are probably only a couple of hundred miles apart, but if he speaks like my friends from the Midlands (UK) face to face I probably wouldn't understand a word!
Vx220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Also, what DSP would you recommend on the high end...
Waveflex or APL, and then followed by a MiniDSP with DIRAC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement